LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Dorf

Legendary™ Servers

On 11/5/2018 at 11:10 PM, Tarantula said:

Exactly. Plus: 'they've never been good at this, so let's give them the benefit of the doubt once again'.

I know, right?  This attitude is what SSG was talking about in their Mordor video talking about the Ultimate edition - "This is for the players who love everything we do".

The willingness of some players to continually come up with excuses for SSG's  shenanigans is truly amazing.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, warspeech said:

I know, right?  This attitude is what SSG was talking about in their Mordor video talking about the Ultimate edition - "This is for the players who love everything we do".

The willingness of some players to continually come up with excuses for SSG's  shenanigans is truly amazing.

It's cause the LotRO whales are really inflicted with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

3 hours ago, warspeech said:

Yes. Maybe that is similar to what Fernando Paiz said in a monetization video: you can throw anything at the players.

2 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

It's cause the LotRO whales are really inflicted with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Do you think that the whales and the apologists are the same players? Doesn't the whale get it exactly the way he wants it and therefore doesn't have to complain or find excuses?

The sudden appearance of the LS server is intriguing to me - not the LS itself, but what it represents: the end of endgame. SSG is not responding to any posts about the endgame grind and lack of drops in the instances. 

In my opinion LS is the next phase in the monetization scheme. I wanted to see whether there's anything in old presentations that gives away what we are seeing happening in LotrO right at this moment.

I did a bit of digging and found this presentation about DDO by Fernando Paiz.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012520/The-Future-of-MMO-Monetization

Very telling, but most interesting are the slides from 34 on, especially slide 37.

So now there is a server with dedicated VIP payers AND a store. I am sure we will see low level content being tweaked more and more, and lootboxes being pushed at every 10 level interval. Progression is slowed down considerably = retention. Add the store = ultimate revenue. Raise the level cap slowly: new players willing to buy the expansions, willing to 'support the game'.

Justly so, many players say 'no thank you'. They have paid for the content already. But what will stop SSG from reverting to subscription only, except now with the store included?

The single LS may be the guinea pig for that model. The nostalgic enthusiasm and fervor of new and returning players being milked twice. After everything I've seen Turbine/SSG pull, it won't surprise me anymore.

• Like 1

The entire thing is a big fat middle finger to diehards who have been begging for a classic server since Moria.  And the diehards are too stupid to even realize it.

A classic server was never going to happen, but SSG rationalized that the diehards are such morons that they could literally put out a version of the game with less content than one can play for free behind a paywall and call it a "legendary server," and the mouthbreathing whales would fall for it hook, line and sinker.

All it's going to accomplish is to dilute server population, cause the remaining servers to ultimately merge (which absolutely no one wants), and give the dickheads at SSG the satisfaction of being able to cry out, "We told you so!  We told you no one really wanted a classic server!" without ever admitting that it's not a classic server.  But the dumbasses who sub in order to play it aren't smart enough to know the difference, so by all means, let them get ripped off and contribute to the final destiny of Bored of the Rings Offline.

OMG.   Actual quote from a thread where people are sharing queue positions and wait time for the new server:

" I don't think most players mind the queue, it's just the queue doesn't show any sign of working. And from what I can gather, it may actually not be working."

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?668718-You-must-wait-before-logging-into-this-world&p=7887578#post7887578

18 minutes ago, warspeech said:

OMG.   Actual quote from a thread where people are sharing queue positions and wait time for the new server:

" I don't think most players mind the queue, it's just the queue doesn't show any sign of working. And from what I can gather, it may actually not be working."

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?668718-You-must-wait-before-logging-into-this-world&p=7887578#post7887578

People getting pretty mad, queu is up to 4k now... 1200 on LS....

Cordovan's response: The response has been huge, which has necessitated some queuing. People in a queue will be let in without having to log out then back in repeatedly. We are also working with our operations team to make sure as many people as possible can both be in the log-in queue and in-game.

People more mad: 'their' names are gone

One comment to angry players: 'you've paid, what do you expect'?

lotro monetization.JPG

I just read they want to launch a 2nd server tomorrow; Guess we will see a server merge in a month...

And I thought layering would solve these kind of issues...

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this is the last ditch effort to pull monetization from LotRO, and also if LotRO is shuttered by the end of the decade.  This just doesn't look good, and yet I doubt there's enough of the subscriber base to get back to the subscription model.

Yet all of this leaves the real Achilles heel of LotRO still out there - the crippling technical and world building issues because the SSG staff is critically low.  I mean, I'm not going back to LotRO unless they release a x64 client, and we all know THAT'S not happening anytime soon - if ever.

Do you think that the whales and the apologists are the same players? Doesn't the whale get it exactly the way he wants it and therefore doesn't have to complain or find excuses?

You know the joke about the male feminists?  That when someone declares themselves a male feminist, you can start the clock on sexual abuse/harrassement charges.

Likewise, it has been observed that many of the most vocal critics of P2W are often those that pay the most.

Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if several of the whales are some of the most vocal critics.

"Our servers are so powerful now that we could contain every player on a single server."  When 4k players is too much for your game to handle in the presence of games with 10s of thousands of concurrent players.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

"Our servers are so powerful now that we could contain every player on a single server."  When 4k players is too much for your game to handle in the presence of games with 10s of thousands of concurrent players.

best part, GM confirmed in-game that there were just over 1,600 online...not even near 4,000

10 minutes ago, Papi said:

best part, GM confirmed in-game that there were just over 1,600 online...not even near 4,000

Congratulations SSG you've reached a milestone... half the number of people that went to my high school.  Revel in this accomplishment and be proud!

Thought I'd give it a look... queued as position 3826.

Edit: hold up, are they now talking some bollocks about a second limited server? Doesn't that defeat the whole point of an exclusive server that every subscriber can gather on?

Yes, that's what they said.

Can't wait to see the ruckus when the Legendary servers get merged into one (you know it will happen) and the inevitable name conflicts start happening.

Since the demand is will fall away in the next few weeks after people who only logged in to see what it was like, isnt the cost of another server just wasted money.  

10 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

Since the demand is will fall away in the next few weeks after people who only logged in to see what it was like, isnt the cost of another server just wasted money.  

I bet those servers are virtualized on a big iron box - and cost almost nothing each - but I'm not up enough on server tech to really know - that would explain the lag many see when Bullroarer is live

For the sake of Jesus' butthole they shouldn't be having queuing problems for less than 10k players.  Unless it's a manufactured issue to give the illusion of high demand.

• Like 1

For a brief moment, I had a burst of nostalgia and everything was cosy... then those damn trait trees pop back up and I remember why it was all shite. Is there no way to stop skills constantly disappearing and changing places whenever you retrait? At least with the old system, your skills would stay on your bars but just permanently grey out until you traited for them again.

I'll give them credit, there's a lot of people about. Would've been more visible without that stupid layering system they have, too. Not that their servers could handle it. There's also a stupid thing with an xp debuff I've got of about -40% that says it's there to help you "match the pace of the story", but I was at least level 8 or 9 before I'd finished those stupid Archet quests anyway. And damn is that World chat full of fucking retards waffling on about nonsense. I had to mute it pretty quick.

Overall, it's just levelling an alt that has no worth to your home server where your mains are.

The usual suspects are out and about condemning criticism and praising poor quality;

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?668041-New-quot-Legendary-quot-server-fails&p=7888205#post7888205

There's nothing you can do on the new VIP-exclusive servers that you can't already do on the free live servers.  It's a gimmick designed by idiots to take advantage of idiots, and it's working (for now), much to my amusement.

36 minutes ago, psalm8818 said:

The usual suspects are out and about condemning criticism and praising poor quality;

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?668041-New-quot-Legendary-quot-server-fails&p=7888205#post7888205

There's nothing you can do on the new VIP-exclusive servers that you can't do on the free live servers.  It's a gimmick designed by idiots to take advantage of idiots, and it's working (for now), much to my amusement.

The usual suspects are out and about talking nonsense as always because well.....that is what they love to do;

Given you enjoy quoting my posts ( stalking much ?? ) here is one I made earlier in the same tread:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?668512-Since-the-Legendary-Server-is-a-PAID-service&p=7885631#post7885631

I am not going to play on this new server, I do not feel it is the right way to go for LOTRO, but also because frankly I do not wish to be part of a community that consider people that cannot afford to pay a subscription somehow not worthy and inferior, after been a VIP for 11 years I am now one of those people.

So  you are wrong, I am not praising poor quality,  I simply chose not to pay for it, Anyway have fun in your little bubble, I am off to play Fallout 😎

• Like 1

Tried to log in at about 12:10 EST, Im assuming it went live at noon.  I was 1900 something in the queue, left my pc and did some chores and my position never moved so I quit it.  Just logged in no issues at 6:00 am day 2, grabbed all of my preferred character names and logged right out.  Ill probably never even log into the game there, but if I do I have all of my names.  Unfortunately they will probably use my brief character making process as being a player to tout the population of this pile of crap

You're such a hypocrite.

Within 37 minutes, you saw my post, took the time to click on the link (because you knew I was referring to you), and replied with your usual defensive snark.  THAT is stalking...

30 minutes ago, Amorey said:

( stalking much ?? )

15 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Certainly not sticking up for SSG, and I have zero experience in this stuff, but I think 2K+ people trying to log in and make characters at the same time is the issue, not so much the servers cant handle 4k players or more at different places in the game. Regardless though, SSG should have planned for this deluge and made it somewhat smoother. Glad I wasnt a fanboi dying to get into Anal or whatever the new server is named although I was able to the next day and secure my names Ill never play.