LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Dorf

Legendary™ Servers

7 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

You're such a hypocrite.

Within 37 minutes, you saw my post, took the time to click on the link (because you knew I was referring to you), and replied with your usual defensive snark.  THAT is stalking...

how-do-you-kill-that-which-has-no-life.j

Or maybe Amorey and Psalm just need to go get a room to work out the unresolved sexual tension in their relationship?

I just had a little look on the new server and no login queues.  Start a Dwarf and there was nearly 600 people in the area on social panel

I still can't believe no one is saying it's the same as the old regular servers, beside the experience debuff.

And to honest I never enjoyed leveling in lotro, it was all the same for me.

Looks like the large numbers of people doing the same quests is causing some issues amongst the children. I've had a few pricks send me a tell about how upset they are that I did a quest without them. They then got even more upset when I told them I couldn't give a shit. They genuinely think that people are just waiting around specially for them to turn up before killing a mob. Poor babs.

1 hour ago, Doro said:

Looks like the large numbers of people doing the same quests is causing some issues amongst the children. I've had a few pricks send me a tell about how upset they are that I did a quest without them. They then got even more upset when I told them I couldn't give a shit. They genuinely think that people are just waiting around specially for them to turn up before killing a mob. Poor babs.

That may be the only "classic" thing about this entire debacle.

2 hours ago, Doro said:

As predicted. I am sitting here laughing nonetheless.

Btw, any experience with those DoT's mentioned on the forums?

"A helluva lot more than standing around skahald all day at 120. Its kind of fun to see how sore people are about the success of the legendary servers and the 1000+ people there is to play with constantly. It is a LOT of fun.

You guys should actually try it."

7 hours ago, Tarantula said:

Btw, any experience with those DoT's mentioned on the forums?

Are we talking about the bleeds that do something crazy like 80 damage every 2 seconds and could kill you if you don't clear it? Luckily, I'm a minstrel, so I've avoided dying so far, but it's definitely not working properly.

At first I had a flash of hope that it would be a classic SoA server, but no. I see no point to this at all, except as a desperate means of making money. 

Tbh, its success will probably be a result of shroud streaming it and nothing else. And then once he stops playing it, the server will die. 

16 hours ago, berry said:

I still can't believe no one is saying it's the same as the old regular servers, beside the experience debuff.

And to honest I never enjoyed leveling in lotro, it was all the same for me.

They know, they think they can recapture the old glory days back when everything was brand new. Kinda sad, like high school reunions can be sometimes.

13 hours ago, Doro said:

Crafting nodes still aren't shared in LOTRO, are they?

10 minutes ago, warspeech said:

Crafting nodes still aren't shared in LOTRO, are they?

Nope. Neither are things like back packs and chests. Even worse, there are quests where you have to activate an NPC, who then runs off and doesn't respawn for ages, leading to people just crowding it and spamming to get their quests finished.

My current gripe is that people are refusing to clear all mobs instead of just their target mob. There's a quest to kill loads of boars, but it seems wolves and bears also occupy whatever respawn mechanic is there, so people are leaving the bears and wolves and now there's nothing but those.

1 hour ago, Doro said:

Nope. Neither are things like back packs and chests. Even worse, there are quests where you have to activate an NPC, who then runs off and doesn't respawn for ages, leading to people just crowding it and spamming to get their quests finished.

My current gripe is that people are refusing to clear all mobs instead of just their target mob. There's a quest to kill loads of boars, but it seems wolves and bears also occupy whatever respawn mechanic is there, so people are leaving the bears and wolves and now there's nothing but those.

That issue will never change.  My first time running into that was Rushock bog in the Shire.   Flies and those damn slugs.  People would run around only killing slugs and then some dumbass like myself would show up and only run into flies.  The other annoying side effect is ore nodes.  They spawn in randomly and in areas that have both a jeweler node, like platinum, and a regular node would end up with all platinum and no dwarf iron.  If you asked people politely to ensure they grabbed both plat and dwarf iron you'd always end up with at least one asshole telling you to suck it up.

6 hours ago, Doro said:

Are we talking about the bleeds that do something crazy like 80 damage every 2 seconds and could kill you if you don't clear it? Luckily, I'm a minstrel, so I've avoided dying so far, but it's definitely not working properly.

Even though the dev responsible for this has clearly said it's a bug and will be fixed soon, people are berating others who are complaining about dying at the early levels from it, and asking for it to stay as it is because it's more challenging and better to force people to group up right out of the gate.

7 hours ago, Doro said:

Yes. At 119 they hit over 8k every 2 seconds. But, one gets used to it, even though wound potions won't remove the effect.

46 minutes ago, warspeech said:

Even though the dev responsible for this has clearly said it's a bug and will be fixed soon, people are berating others who are complaining about dying at the early levels from it, and asking for it to stay as it is because it's more challenging and better to force people to group up right out of the gate.

It's quite a verbal war zone over there.

1 hour ago, warspeech said:

If I was playing seriously, I would like an upgrade to difficulty, but it's definitely broken as it is. I did a quick GB run and those damn worms dropping poison clouds was more dangerous than the bosses. Even walking passed it out of combat managed to knock me down to almost dead in a couple of seconds.

I'm not sure what's more entertaining...

Blizzard shooting themselves in the face with Diablo Immortal, or SSG screwing up their "premium" server XD

1 hour ago, Almagnus1 said:

I'm not sure what's more entertaining...

Blizzard shooting themselves in the face with Diablo Immortal, or SSG screwing up their "premium" server XD

Lets be honest usually we don't expects Blizzard to release bad products or something that isn't ready, while turbine/ssg have a history of unfinished patches/expansions and etc.

To be honest I expected SSG to screw up with their "premium" server, their fan base is used to that kind of quality, and it's rare to even see people defending it, or even attacking people who demand better product. Those people will buy what ever SSG will throw at them cause some how they feel loyalty and as SSG is their friends or even family.

But hey this is my opinion about the subject, I would love to hear from people who still actively playing lotro why do they keep playing/paying.

Meh, let fanbois call it a "success" if that makes them feel better.

They're paying for content that's already available at no cost (other than the TP for a Stone of the Tortoise and quest packages, which can be earned for free).  The only "success" here is that SSG has successfully bamboozled the lowest denominator of LOTRO players.

haven't played on new servers, nor will i.

the whole thing with the queue is kinda funny, but it does serve as a nice artificial bump.

opening a second server just to give another flow channel for new character creation was a bad idea, but again, no surprise.

regardless, i give it a busy first weekend of name reservationists & rubberneckers.

come the first real week (Mon-Fri) the level discrepancies will begin to show & the shiney new will begin to feel a little old again.  i think folk gearing up to raid the rift at 50 are in for a nice cold shock. for those who don't quit after the first week...  how many have a clue how to gear at 50 for that, especially with everything broken with regards to tuning after the n00b Vastin went and broke everything....  (in order to fix everything...  🤣   )  or the fact that most of the crafting was reworked several times, eliminating most of the original things folk used to use to run it...  rift 1/12...MUST HAVE MATHOM GEAR!!!   🤣🤣🤣

at the end of the second weekend and start of second week the demands for Ithil to be merged with Anor should start to get loud.  if SSG responds fast enough, it might not be dead after the 3rd weekend & make it a whole month before the thrill is completely gone.

when they do open Moria (in 4 months  🤨  ) this current bump of activity you see this weekend will be about 1/4 or less.  & with each new cap increase a greater fizzle.

even though i am not participating, i fully support this whole charade.  will be fun to watch unfold.

but that isn't why i decided to comment, but rather this:

In SoA I deleted my character about 10 times to get this title. Had it showing afterwards for the rest of the expansion. “The Undying” is supposed to be prestigious - a title for players who know their limits or who know they place (and friends who can keep them alive.) It is NOT a participation-trophy.

10 TIMES!!!

73037d35e72c71c2c2ff79f93f0c255da02f8348

the level of cringe...   there was nothing prestigious about, "The Undying"   EVER ... especially if you tried 10 damn times for it.  i think i know why this person thinks grouping in game is broken & needs to be forced.  😉

the 2 times i lost it.  i decided i wanted to advance my cook to the final tier at level 10 & got one-shot from a stealthed lynx in the high moors.  & second time during the leveling contest, instead of fighting my way back down the mountain side from murkstone tunnels at Thorins Hall...  (they aren't even up on that cliff-side anymore, they moved them down to the new steampunk dwarf area...)  and even though i had survived the fall on multiple toons, i died on this fall.

regardless, i have it on most of my characters who all leveled back in Original Shadows of Angmar.

i don't recall anyone ever thinking it a big deal.  it wasn't.  but hey, a tab-targeting game with no aiming & dodge... but you knew to use a bag slot and click a potion...  a real Edge-Lord. 🙄

18 hours ago, Doro said:

If I was playing seriously, I would like an upgrade to difficulty, but it's definitely broken as it is. I did a quick GB run and those damn worms dropping poison clouds was more dangerous than the bosses. Even walking passed it out of combat managed to knock me down to almost dead in a couple of seconds.

"worms dropping poison clouds was more dangerous than the bosses.'

i think that is really the only issue...  the entire inconsistency across levels & types of mobs.

a swarm tier mob (the lowest) should not be hitting harder than a boss (Elite, Elite Master, Nemesis, Arch Nemesis.) & if you jump up 5 levels, or even 10 and the increases  aren't incremental and consistent...  you have a goddamned level 5 swarm mob unloading harder than a signature 5 levels later.  the game starts to feel like it was tuned by a schizophrenic. 

why is that mob staying level 5?  it could head to the Lonelands and make a level 20 tribe of its own, declaring itself chief!

2 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

Meh, let fanbois call it a "success" if that makes them feel better.

They're paying for content that's already available at no cost (other than the TP for a Stone of the Tortoise and quest packages, which can be earned for free).  The only "success" here is that SSG has successfully bamboozled the lowest denominator of LOTRO players.

There are already some awkward questions popping up from new players who aren't so blinded by "OMG Tolkien!" that they just take all the clunkiness of the game in stride.

I expect that to increase as the people who don't decide to leave get further along.

2 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

"worms dropping poison clouds was more dangerous than the bosses.'

i think that is really the only issue...  the entire inconsistency across levels & types of mobs.

a swarm tier mob (the lowest) should not be hitting harder than a boss (Elite, Elite Master, Nemesis, Arch Nemesis.) & if you jump up 5 levels, or even 10 and the increases  aren't incremental and consistent...  you have a goddamned level 5 swarm mob unloading harder than a signature 5 levels later.  the game starts to feel like it was tuned by a schizophrenic. 

why is that mob staying level 5?  it could head to the Lonelands and make a level 20 tribe of its own, declaring itself chief!

see these should still have meaning:

Io0ujGq.jpg

otherwise why bother having them?

& level should matter also.  and i think that is the core issue, is the lack of consistency.  saying things are pretty broken, isn't the same as saying...  Nemesis should be pussy cats...  unless it is a Nemesis level in pussy cat disguise of course.   ;)

I think all the issues caused by the experienced devs leaving for better positions is coming back to bite SSG, leaving SSG with noob devs that don't have a clue how most of these systems really work - let alone balance.  I mean, they're not even competent enough to make a x64 client actually work.

Let the cavalcade of stupidity continue...

You know what, I'm weirdly enjoying myself at the moment. Ignoring all the mithril coin buttons everywhere, the layering system keep re-loading whenever you enter Bree, the trait trees, the virtues sending you to the store if you click on the quest, and the general petty nature of the players, it's partially still the "old game" (I suppose that petty nature as always been there).

I hadn't levelled any alts since they did all the revamps, so a lot of it is new to me (considering as well that I quit when Helm's Deep came out). I had no idea just how badly they'd fucked up the landscape and made pretty much everything connected. Places that used to be sheer cliffs, designed to funnel you around the map, are now gentle hills. The Barrow Downs and the Old Forest were the biggest surprises, since you can just run basically anywhere with no real issues. The new Eriador map looks shit, and strange that they didn't keep up the same style for all zones. Most of the quests now are ridiculously easy, and they replaced a lot of decent old quests with new shitty ones. I haven't seen a single rare mob yet, which might just be because so many people are playing in so few zones. And the Auction House doesn't have much going for it in the way of an "economy" still, with barely any crafted pieces being put up.

But there's something nice about the enforced level cap of 50. It makes it feel achievable without a grind. I've only just reached Ost Guruth & Esteldin and I'm L30, even with the -40% xp debuff. Going up to L50 doesn't feel like an issue at all. The fact that everyone has been pushed into the same boat on that server makes it feel more encompassing than if you were to just set up a kin to do the same on a regular server. We're all playing in the scope of SoA (well, SoA that's been put through a blender), and the end-game isn't far off, a bit like a strange farewell-tour. I can't see it being the same when they eventually raise the cap enough and people start hitting that boring SoM/RoI content. Definitely not worth paying VIP for, though, so at least my lifetime account has some use for a short while.

• Upvote 1