LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Dorf

Legendary™ Servers

On 11/12/2018 at 8:05 PM, Doro said:

But there's something nice about the enforced level cap of 50. It makes it feel achievable without a grind ... Going up to L50 doesn't feel like an issue at all. The fact that everyone has been pushed into the same boat on that server makes it feel more encompassing than if you were to just set up a kin to do the same on a regular server. We're all playing in the scope of SoA (well, SoA that's been put through a blender), and the end-game isn't far off, a bit like a strange farewell-tour. I can't see it being the same when they eventually raise the cap enough and people start hitting that boring SoM/RoI content. Definitely not worth paying VIP for, though, so at least my lifetime account has some use for a short while.

I feel very similar. It's light years away from the early SoA legacy server I'd prefer, but it's closer than anything else they've come up with for years. I'm enjoying the slower pace and have only just hit 15 on my champ and 14 on the cappy I duo with my partner. With such a short distance from 1 to cap, I'm not feeling any rush or impatience to get there. One side effect of no PvMP I hadn't anticipated was that it gave me one less reason to hurry to cap. I'd definitely prefer well balanced PvMP (such as late SoA or SoM) but no PvMP at all is preferable to poorly balanced rubbish. I'm quite enjoying the weird challenge of OP bleeds and discovering the new scaling gear. Knowing that I don't have a massive LI grind looming above me helps with enjoyment dramatically.  Even then, there's a chance I might stick around for Moria if they can manage to make it able to handle a large population (I have my doubts given how utterly gutted it was during the easifying revamp a while back) Very unlikely I'll stick around past Moria though, unless they enable PvMP and accidentally manage to balance it well.

I think it's cool that people are enjoying it.  It's a bit crazy to rant against people for having fun at something--even if I have no interest in doing it.

As an observation...the pace of leveling a character--that is something we, as players, can control.  We can also control how far we want to level (level caps, etc.)  The "race" to level cap or gear to grind is often a self-imposed issue.  It shouldn't take a company to create a sub only server with a server imposed level cap to make that happen.

I think we, as players, are just lazy so we are willing to pay someone to create that environment for us instead of doing it on our own (all the tools to do so already exist).

4 hours ago, Papi said:

It's a bit crazy to rant against people for having fun at something--even if I have no interest in doing it.

I think a distinction needs to be made between "ranting at people" and "wholly expecting this to fail".

I suspect many are in the latter here, as these servers are only going to divide and further weaken the population of the surviving servers, and likely hasten the servers towards reaching a critical low pop point where things stop working as they normally do.

4 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

I think a distinction needs to be made between "ranting at people" and "wholly expecting this to fail".

I suspect many are in the latter here...

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically on this forum with that statement.   If anything it was more me, stepping back for a second, and realizing I had gone a wee bit crazy with the vitriol. Especially since it has nothing to do with me as I haven't played the game in ages.

The entire thing is just so deceptive.

It couldn't be simpler.  SSG is charging players for an experience they could already be having at no cost on pre-existing servers (Stones of the Tortoise + like-minded players.  It's been done before on nearly every server).  SSG simply counted upon the gullibility and lack of common sense of its player base in order to squeeze out a little more $$$ prior to maintenance mode, and the true-to-form player base did not disappoint them.

On the other hand, without $$$, LOTRO is going to shut down.  So THIS is how SSG has chosen to generate that money.  Not with better content.  Not with upgrading the game engine to a 64k client (which we all knew was never going to happen, and so did Turbine/SSG). Not with overhauling gameplay and fixing the thousands of bugs players are currently pretending don't exist.  Not with competent marketing (remember the Mordor trailer?).  Not with better communication or customer service.  But rather by rewarding LOTRO players' blatant stupidity by charging them a fee for what they already get for free.

Which is going to make it all the sweeter when the players finally realize they've been swindled.*

* but keep paying for it anyway, because they're complete idiots.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, psalm8818 said:

The entire thing is just so deceptive.

It couldn't be simpler.  SSG is charging players for an experience they could already be having at no cost on pre-existing servers (Stones of the Tortoise + like-minded players.  It's been done before on nearly every server).  SSG simply counted upon the gullibility and lack of common sense of its player base in order to squeeze out a little more $$$ prior to maintenance mode, and the true-to-form player base did not disappoint them.

On the other hand, without $$$, LOTRO is going to shut down.  So THIS is how SSG has chosen to generate that money.  Not with better content.  Not with upgrading the game engine to a 64k client (which we all knew was never going to happen, and so did Turbine/SSG). Not with overhauling gameplay and fixing the thousands of bugs players are currently pretending don't exist.  Not with competent marketing (remember the Mordor trailer?).  Not with better communication or customer service.  But rather by rewarding LOTRO players' blatant stupidity by charging them a fee for what they already get for free.

Which is going to make it all the sweeter when the players finally realize they've been swindled.*

* but keep paying for it anyway, because they're complete idiots.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, psalm8818 said:

It couldn't be simpler.  SSG is charging players for an experience they could already be having at no cost on pre-existing servers (Stones of the Tortoise + like-minded players ...

... gullibility and lack of common sense 

... blatant stupidity 

...  players finally realize they've been swindled.

... complete idiots.

Just because something could happen doesn't mean it has or will or is even likely to. I've been away from the game for a while now, but even when I played, I don't remember ever seeing 1500+ players all using the stone of the tortoise to remain 1-50 (oh hang on, that's because it has never happened)

I've barely posted here since my auto attacking champ thread, but from what I've read from you, you appear remarkably bitter and disdainful towards any players who don't hate SSG with the same burning passion you do. You also don't seem to be very bright: I'm getting a very strong Dunning Kruger scent from your posts. That's not your fault I suppose, you can't helping being who you are.

That said, I'm enjoying the server and knew full well what I was getting myself into: except perhaps the OP bleeds which were definitely an added bonus that increased difficulty enough to add to my enjoyment. I've been the last one to mindlessly accept all the rubbish that has been released since the decline began back in SoM. I still hate the trait trees and always will, but they are more bearable on a 50 cap server without the boring battles or do every single quest in west rohan grind to get them all. 

As a founder, I lost nothing by trying out the legendary server. I'm certainly not a whale - but without going into too much detail, I'm financially comfortable, run a successful business, and am debt free. Once I found I enjoyed it enough, I had no problem subbing for my partner for 3 months. The fee is a pittance. And I really don't care if the server shuts down before it gets to Moria, or if the minimal challenge is nerfed tomorrow, I've already got enough value for the single tiny payment I've made.  

I think the idea of the legendary server is nice and good, the problem is it divide the community, and above that I don't see a reason why it should be be vip only server, it's not like they are using the old code of lotro or did their best to restore the old lotro by getting rid of the trees, there is no way around the fact it's the same as the rest of the servers.

7 hours ago, Bohemond said:

Just because something could happen doesn't mean it has or will or is even likely to. I've been away from the game for a while now, but even when I played, I don't remember ever seeing 1500+ players all using the stone of the tortoise to remain 1-50 (oh hang on, that's because it has never happened)

I've barely posted here since my auto attacking champ thread, but from what I've read from you, you appear remarkably bitter and disdainful towards any players who don't hate SSG with the same burning passion you do. You also don't seem to be very bright: I'm getting a very strong Dunning Kruger scent from your posts. That's not your fault I suppose, you can't helping being who you are.

That said, I'm enjoying the server and knew full well what I was getting myself into: except perhaps the OP bleeds which were definitely an added bonus that increased difficulty enough to add to my enjoyment. I've been the last one to mindlessly accept all the rubbish that has been released since the decline began back in SoM. I still hate the trait trees and always will, but they are more bearable on a 50 cap server without the boring battles or do every single quest in west rohan grind to get them all. 

As a founder, I lost nothing by trying out the legendary server. I'm certainly not a whale - but without going into too much detail, I'm financially comfortable, run a successful business, and am debt free. Once I found I enjoyed it enough, I had no problem subbing for my partner for 3 months. The fee is a pittance. And I really don't care if the server shuts down before it gets to Moria, or if the minimal challenge is nerfed tomorrow, I've already got enough value for the single tiny payment I've made.  

Nice mental gymnastics!

I'm curious, did they make levelling and questing easier or something? I think I was L42 yesterday, just finished Trollshaws and halfway through Evendim, with Misty Mountains, Angmar, and Forochel (my favourite zone in the entire game) left. I don't remember it being this fast on any other character I'd levelled back on Snowbourn, and I've been taking it really fucking easy doing so. I've also hit Kindred really easy in Esteldin, Ost Guruth, and Rivendell, with Ally in Bree and Annuminas. All those things used to be grinds but I've hit them just through regular gameplay and normally before I'd even finished all the quests that gave Rep.

I get that on a regular server with a L100 and something cap, you'd want to make it a bit easier for people to speed an alt through, but it doesn't quite work on this with a cap this low. There were L50s within the first day on this Legendary server, but now I'm not too surprised.

4 hours ago, Doro said:

I'm curious, did they make levelling and questing easier or something? I think I was L42 yesterday, just finished Trollshaws and halfway through Evendim, with Misty Mountains, Angmar, and Forochel (my favourite zone in the entire game) left. I don't remember it being this fast on any other character I'd levelled back on Snowbourn, and I've been taking it really fucking easy doing so. I've also hit Kindred really easy in Esteldin, Ost Guruth, and Rivendell, with Ally in Bree and Annuminas. All those things used to be grinds but I've hit them just through regular gameplay and normally before I'd even finished all the quests that gave Rep.

I get that on a regular server with a L100 and something cap, you'd want to make it a bit easier for people to speed an alt through, but it doesn't quite work on this with a cap this low. There were L50s within the first day on this Legendary server, but now I'm not too surprised.

How long ago was it that you leveled a character from 1 to 42? People on the regular forums have been complaining about the ease of leveling/having to skip content because it is outleveled for a long time now. The LS have a 60% xp reward per quest when compared with the regular servers. And still it's too fast eh!

Just now, Tarantula said:

How long ago was it that you leveled a character from 1 to 42? People on the regular forums have been complaining about the ease of leveling/having to skip content because it is outleveled for a long time now. The LS have a 60% xp reward per quest when compared with the regular servers. And still it's too fast eh!

I'd say back in RoR days, maybe RoI, I'm not entirely sure. What I do remember is abandoning levelling a Burg because it was taking too long. At least others have spotted this before. Thanks.

Last time I levelled from 1 was back after Helm's Deep and before Minas Tirith (4 years ago or so). As touched on, usually you decided beforehand which areas you were going to level up in, knowing you'll be skipping other entire areas to do so. That kind of quick levelling had been going on for a year or two prior to then.

At least doing all the areas like you seem to be doing doesn't over level you like it would on the regular servers.

1 hour ago, Tinker said:

How have the 'Legendary' servers impacted the overall server populations? 

By no means. 

Still plenty of gold seller spam in world chat.  More gold sellers = more logins = placated shareholders.

4 hours ago, Tarantula said:

The LS have a 60% xp reward per quest when compared with the regular servers. And still it's too fast eh!

Outdated info. It's 40% since today, and in LFF they were looking for a tank to do the whole of RIFT. ... Insert emotes.... 

People will run out of stuff to do and go back to the regular servers.  It's going to happen because you burn through the content so fast.  Most people using that server have pre-order crap that negates the xp reduction.

3 hours ago, Jedy2 said:

Outdated info. It's 40% since today, and in LFF they were looking for a tank to do the whole of RIFT. ... Insert emotes.... 

LS quests only reward 40% in xp as of today? Link please.

4 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

By no means. 

Still plenty of gold seller spam in world chat.  More gold sellers = more logins = placated shareholders.

Interesting. I play almost everyday on Crick and haven't seen any gold spammers on world chat in ages. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone like Agra had done an actual count to see if the regular servers had lost many players or not. I tried looking at his server population thread, but couldn't see the new 'legendary' servers in comparison. I'll try to look again.

14 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

By no means. 

not really.  at least not on regular servers.  SSG actually did add a chat filter a few months back, that suppressed both repetitive links & text as well as flooding attempts.  that made the gold-bots who chose to remain almost impotent, but what really killed them off was when SSG disabled Mithril mailing.  Gold-Bots have been gone now for a few months.

15 hours ago, Tinker said:

How have the 'Legendary' servers impacted the overall server populations? 

if you are looking for decent data on overall numbers month to month, this is a fantastic chart:

lotro-alle-gauge-3-year.png

while this chart doesn't include the new Legacy servers it goes back an entire year & shows Lotros traditional yearly peaks for activity in December & January, (as well as an anomalous and out of character high at the end of February - beginning of March.)  While this chart does NOT include the legacy server data, even if it could be added, overall numbers are still below the annual December-January highs.

this chart has yet to update to add the current activity since Anor & Ithil came online, but the last week does show a slight increase on the main servers pre-release of the 2 new.

have the populations been impacted.  YES.  but that impact is mitigated some by the fact there are this odd bunch of folk who log in to multiple servers simultaneously.

populations are down on regular severs, VERY roughly, by about 100 players across the board.

On 11/14/2018 at 4:40 PM, Papi said:

Yikes, those numbers are bad. And it's only week 2.

technically, today's downtime (Thursday) matches up with last weeks launch, so it has only been one week.

& you have to consider the impact of the queue.  content & land rushers, name savers & the initial curiosity pushed the queue past the point of actual function, where folk sat in queue with a system overloaded and not updating properly.

the number actually on Anor playing (and to a much lesser degree, Ithil) has never exceeded 2000 players.  The queue is misleading, and created an artificial bump, well beyond the initial number playing...  so the actual drop isn't that bad...  yet.

this is going to be the second full weekend and numbers should still be OK. 

come this Monday. level discrepancies, the initial curiosity & all those name savers will have run its course.  not to mention all those already at cap, now seeing that while landscape bleeds initially being high, provides a pot-use adventure...  mostly wound, you still need poison, fear & disease... a whole 4 bag slots lost, (8 if you want to salve in a group scenario) to a mechanic that is inconsistently tuned across the game.

rather than starting out small and increasing incrementally...  or as many have yet to find out...  not working on character NPC's inside instances, especially in the epic...  & the Rift...  i think alot were looking to run it at level 50 as intended with a group...  but that shock has hit as well.  challenge where there shouldn't really be much, & no little to no challenge where it really should be.  and entirely broken scenarios in certain instances because of all the new calculations...  i did laugh when i heard the Dread Barrier in Angmar, that once you complete the epic...  was tuned too high under the new calculations and was still killing everyone...  ;)

soo many things broken & the inconsistency created by the new calculations...

come this Monday,  November 15, 2018, after the second full weekend, you will see the start of a much more significant lack of retention.  lots will begin returning to their mains on regular servers.  the initial curious & rubberneckers will start to significantly drop off & many will quit...   again.

following the 3rd full weekend, SSG better be ready to allow Ithil to move into Arnor, because Ithil will be utter player fumes at that point & Anor will no longer have a queue at ANY time of day, even during the EU peak were it still gets a small & short queue now.

when they finally do raise the cap to 60 & unlock Moria...  don't expect to see even half the same level of interest.  name savers are already done locking in those names & can be factored out.  the nostalgia will have worn off considerably.  & come Mirkwood and each cap increase beyond...  the draw that was there initially will dramatically decrease each time.

yeah the initial thrill of playing on level with soo many other people ( a really strong argument for more consolidation on regular servers i might point out) & the new economies does not exist in a vacuum.  it was an initial big draw...  still not as big as numbers just last December & January, but big for Lotro.

& while that nostalgia and initial conditions did draw lots...  for someone like me, it is still the same old game & those factor of loads of people playing together at level & a fresh economy is nice, i would rather see that on the regular servers & i simply do not care for the temporary fix these new servers give.  it doesn't last.

for a person like me, i much prefer GW2 with its Global AH (2 versions, one NA & one EU) across all serves & the tech they have in place that puts people questing in the same region map, regardless of server... together.  that is what i would like to see SSG work on for this game.

i have been thinking a whole lot more about GW2 again in recent months.

while these legacy server are nice initially, that effect is a very temporary thing.  it will fade fast.

i could be wrong of course, but i see the combined populations of both legacy servers being below ANY of the other 10 regular servers on, or before the end of November.  lower populations than even Gladden, or Sirannon!

watch what happens after this second weekend concludes.  ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

watch what happens after this second weekend concludes.  ;)

lotro-population-anor.png

this image will update over time and isn't a static snapshot, you can watch right here ;)

& yes it is an extrapolation and not exact down to the millisecond of actual player numbers.

that doesn't mean it isn't in the ballpark.

• Like 1