LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Dorf

Legendary™ Servers

17 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

lotro-population-anor.png

this image will update over time and isn't a static snapshot, you can watch right here ;)

& yes it is an extrapolation and not exact down to the millisecond of actual player numbers.

that doesn't mean it isn't in the ballpark.

Thank you for both of your posts, LasraelLarson. That was exactly what I was looking for. It will be interesting to watch those numbers on the legendary vs the regular servers. Also, if I'm reading this right, there were never 4k logged on to the Anor server. Your explanation of this makes a lot of sense. It's much less worrying at these lower population levels. 

13 hours ago, Trisswyn said:

Landroval lost 100 AH pages in a couple of days. People there say those who left to LS will return anyways.

Trisswyn, a loss of 100 AH pages seems like a lot. Though, I admit I don't know how many pages AH typically has on Landy. I bet you're right and the players will return to their servers. 

This whole LS situation might make an interesting group psychology study. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Trisswyn said:

Landroval lost 100 AH pages in a couple of days. People there say those who left to LS will return anyways.

This is not true. This week the number of Landroval AH pages has been slightly under 200. That's a bit lower than it was, but not a lot.

If what you say is true, the AH would have been around 300 pages just before LS started. I've not seen 300 pages in a long time there.

Lately, pre-LS, the Landroval AH did around 225 pages on weekends. Tonight it's 192. We'll see what this weekend brings.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Tinker said:

Thank you for both of your posts, LasraelLarson. That was exactly what I was looking for. It will be interesting to watch those numbers on the legendary vs the regular servers. Also, if I'm reading this right, there were never 4k logged on to the Anor server. Your explanation of this makes a lot of sense. It's much less worrying at these lower population levels. 

these forum upgrades...  it used to be when you posted a linked image, that was updated at the source, the image would update here as well.  but it looks like in my previous posts both images aren't updating, but rather cashed here in static form...  wonder if i can bypass the cache...

image.png.44d813a448382e5026128af7509830e8.png

image.png.7721ab8a9316205e316af989dc13ddcf.png

now the above should be current as of this post...  i hope.

if they don't update, just click the image (in original posts) and it should pass you over to the live page, rather than a cached version here...

or use these links:

http://lotrostats.gefallenehelden.de/images/lotro-alle-gauge-3-year.png

http://lux-hdro.de/images/live/lotro-population-anor.png

is ironic back when i used to post these links a cached version would be handy as those posts were point in time specific & now i actually want it to update  ;)

the way of things...

• Like 1

As others have noted, wait till the legendary server gets to the LI and essence grinds. All the happy nostalgia will give way to dread and frustration, and then the servers will die. 

22 hours ago, Tarantula said:

This is not true. This week the number of Landroval AH pages has been slightly under 200. That's a bit lower than it was, but not a lot.

If what you say is true, the AH would have been around 300 pages just before LS started. I've not seen 300 pages in a long time there.

Lately, pre-LS, the Landroval AH did around 225 pages on weekends. Tonight it's 192. We'll see what this weekend brings.

Landroval peak since transfers was 350-400 AH pages, after Mordor it has been declining.

1 hour ago, Trisswyn said:

Landroval peak since transfers was 350-400 AH pages, after Mordor it has been declining.

Yup, and what you wrote earlier ('loss of 100 pages in 5 days') (since release of LS) is not accurate.

19 hours ago, Smitty said:

As others have noted, wait till the legendary server gets to the LI and essence grinds. All the happy nostalgia will give way to dread and frustration, and then the servers will die. 

Yep

I started playing on the legendary server fully intending to stop well before any essence grind. I'll most likely get to 50 (no rush, 19 now). Possibly stick around for Moria if they manage to sufficiently un-neuter it from its horrible revamp. Tiny chance I'll be around for Mirk. At a huge stretch I might be able to endure RoI to enjoy Great River. Zero chance I'll be around for Mounted Combat or the grindy garbage beyond.

1 hour ago, Bohemond said:

Yep

I started playing on the legendary server fully intending to stop well before any essence grind. I'll most likely get to 50 (no rush, 19 now). Possibly stick around for Moria if they manage to sufficiently un-neuter it from its horrible revamp. Tiny chance I'll be around for Mirk. At a huge stretch I might be able to endure RoI to enjoy Great River. Zero chance I'll be around for Mounted Combat or the grindy garbage beyond.

Yeah, forgot about the rubberbanding crapshow that is mounted combat. I also recall that it was the Great River update that inaugurated the terrible server lag, which they've never figured out how to solve. Up to that update, you had a solid, salvageable game. 

I've hit level 50 now, just going through the Book quests I've been neglecting. Despite the fact I love the concepts behind the storyline, it's a ridiculously boring case of running back and forth. I was just finishing up one in Annuminas and stopped to do some casual clearing when I run into what I first thought was a fellowship doing the same thing. They invited me, and it became very quickly apparent it wasn't a fellowship. It was a single guy that had a little over half a raid of alts all following him and doing exactly what he was doing. All with the ranger summon you get when you're questing there. Like a living blender, he tore his way through the entire place, the loot window rushing by so fast it was lagging for me.

Now, I've heard of multiboxers before (and more likely he wasn't multiboxing so much as multi clienting) but to the best of my knowledge I'd never seen one in the flesh. I'd seen a guy with a handful of spiders under his control in the Ettens, but never ~15 at once. Considering it's a VIP only server, this guy must surely be paying out a monthly sub per account, right? A tenner each, he's chucked down £150 just to be a one-man raid! Anyone else seen shit like that? I'm amazed a game this old is attracting that sort of attention.

Almost certainly a gold farmer.

Anyone dumb enough to pay a subscription for content that's already available for free is also dumb enough to pay top dollar for gold, and the farmers know that.  They don't even have to advertise...the whales already have the websites bookmarked.  $150 a month is peanuts when they can charge whatever they want for gold that the imbeciles paying to play on the vip servers MUST have to gain that competitive edge over absolutely no one.

I dunno, if they've compromised life time accounts then that would be a way in, especially if the accounts are abandoned.

They didn't seem much like a gold-farmer, though. They very quickly invited me to their group, so they were clearly conscious of other players missing out on mobs they might need. Then another member of their kin offered a space in their kin, which I turned down, which suggests they aren't looking to just do some bot farming and risk the accounts. And when I left, I thanked them for the group and they were polite about it. It could be that all of that is just padding they use to hide what they're really up to, but it seems like a lot of effort for some gold on a server that doesn't even have a proper economy going still (I'm on 90g so far and there's pretty much nothing of worth for sale, can't even get the brushed leathers I need for tailor).

In other news, it turns out the end-game content is a joke. Since there's no caps on stats like we used to have, you can very easily overgear for everything. A group of 4 of us cleared Uru without breaking a sweat, Beornings are basically gods and you don't need a healer or tank if they're in the group, people are already saying how they're doing Rift with less than half a full raid, most groups don't even bother filling all the slots before starting because they don't need to, and I've been soloing group-level landscape content like they're trash mobs. There's no anticipation when starting a run at L50 like the old days, no real discussion of tactics beyond "don't kill the adds" for example, people are rushing through like it's just a grind to get over. It's common to join a half-full group and find they're already clearing mobs without much concern. I can't tell you the amount of people who make a raid and then stick me as the healer in the smallest group and when I query it they just say "ah, we won't really need much healing". They aren't wrong, either.

It's become routine already. That is not a good sign.

Looks like the essence grind is starting earlier than I had expected.

My highest is only 20, and still enjoying it so far (partly due to the now fixed DoT that made things slightly dangerous for a little while). Most of that is duoing with my cappy and my partner, first her LM then a guardian since she suddenly decided she hated inductions.

Anyway, being only 20, I'm not too sure what stats are like at 50, but I'd guess those essences (especially if teal gear drops with 4 slots?) will make for some incredibly broken (pointlessly so) OP builds

essence.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

Looks like the essence grind is starting earlier than I had expected.

essence.jpg

Yeah, I saw that. The guy's a fellow ex-Snowbournite. What even is Essence? I'm guessing it came in after I left. Does it work on any armour?

That's just sad, really.

Apparently the game is irrevocably broken at this point, and no one has a clue on how to properly fix it.

It's also looking like Turbine/SSG never did a pass for the mobs themselves when they did an uncapping, and left everything the same, so the Freeps get waaaay OP... while everything isn't.

I take it the Legendary server also has the newer versions of GB and Helegrod?

51 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

I take it the Legendary server also has the newer versions of GB and Helegrod?

The broken up versions? Yeah. We also have School and Library, since it seems Eregion is also available. I haven't been far enough south yet, but my guess is all the landscape is open, you just can't get through Moria or the Fords of Isen because the quests are too high level... for now.

3 hours ago, Doro said:

Yeah, I saw that. The guy's a fellow ex-Snowbournite. What even is Essence? I'm guessing it came in after I left. Does it work on any armour?

Only some armour has essence slots.  Basically the armour has your main stats, agility, might etc and then you can slot different essences to add extra stats.  Essences come in different tiers and higher tiers can only be slotted into gear with a higher minimum level requirement.  Tier 12 is the current top level and only goes in level 120 gear.  The teal version for physical mastery gives something like 14k physical mastery.  

They are meant to allow you to build a character the way you want, but in reality people tent to look for the same ones.  Also once you equip an essence you need a removal scroll to get them back, you cant even equip a new essence over one you have equipped.  

1 hour ago, cossieuk said:

Only some armour has essence slots.  Basically the armour has your main stats, agility, might etc and then you can slot different essences to add extra stats.  Essences come in different tiers and higher tiers can only be slotted into gear with a higher minimum level requirement.  Tier 12 is the current top level and only goes in level 120 gear.  The teal version for physical mastery gives something like 14k physical mastery.  

They are meant to allow you to build a character the way you want, but in reality people tent to look for the same ones.  Also once you equip an essence you need a removal scroll to get them back, you cant even equip a new essence over one you have equipped.  

Thanks for the explanation. Colour me surprised that they got the Store involved somehow.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:49 AM, Tinker said:

How have the 'Legendary' servers impacted the overall server populations? 

this chart has updated with the data that now shows the impact:

image.png.879ed0bfdff3cc024afeae009fd740ef.png

look at the last 2 peaks (and 3 for reference from prior.)  second to last shows the uptick on regular servers in anticipation of legacy servers (roughly about 40 K additional log-ins over previous period) and the last peak shows the drop off on regular servers (roughly about 20 k log ins less than the period before the rise in anticipation.)

so yeah regular servers have been negatively impacted, but not by much...

but 10 regular servers generating just shy of 50k log-ins, even if both Anor & Ithil combined are generating enough to match...  they aren't BTW...  it is still below Lotro's traditional seasonal highs at the end of December and beginning of January, over the holiday session.

this site (from chart above) has all kinds of log-in data presented in a variety of charts & time frames.

http://lotrostats.gefallenehelden.de/

pity the legacy server data isn't there, but it is up in less detail on this site:

http://lux-hdro.de/hdro-live.php

though i think Agra may still be working out some kinks with how the legacy servers are represented...   i am not sure if this snapshot includes Ithil, or is entirely accurate (would depend on the time frame represented.)  it certainly isn't clearly labeled, as most of those names listed, are long inactive...

image.png.8f27579116b2ec8dcf2158d882fb0e45.png

17 hours ago, Doro said:

The broken up versions? Yeah. We also have School and Library, since it seems Eregion is also available. I haven't been far enough south yet, but my guess is all the landscape is open, you just can't get through Moria or the Fords of Isen because the quests are too high level... for now.

I shouldn't be as surprised about this as I am, but wow, that's exceedingly lazy design as they didn't do a proper SoA on us >.>

Are there level cap armor sets that don't have essences? I thought I read that they were going to try to diversify the armor at end game. I'm sitting at 105 with bartered skirm armor because the essence grind makes me sick. 

To correct myself on the open landscape, it turns out that if you try to cross the river from Eregion to Enedwaith, you get a red message pop up saying "You have entered a restricted area and will be removed if you do not leave". I can't quite work out why we have Eregion, though. Maybe since a lot of the end of Book 1 takes place there, or because it's before Moria they don't count it as part of Moria (even though it was a part of the expansion when it came out), but I can't be sure.

I wouldn‘t be surprised if SSG comes up with LTAs for the legendary servers as soon as population starts to dwindle to milk the last penny out of their stupid lemmings. And i can already imagine the excitement on the offical forums from the usual suspects. 

just wanted to link another chart that shows the impact on regular servers in more detail as my previous post was at a rough glance:

image.png.d6e9d686bee2884744f3fbb08bcd115a.png

week 42 is about to scroll off the page, but matches activity on the 10 regular servers with week 43 & 44.

week 45 is just prior to the launch of the legacy server & you can see in detail the uptick for each server in greater detail than the year chart.

week 46 the legacy server is now open and you can see the drop off, even from weeks 42-44.

so in an individual case like Gladden, the weekly (42 -44) activity was around 38 K (& rose about 12 K to 50 K in anticipation at week 45) & dropped down to 26 K in week 46 once the legacy server was open.  Gladden lost 12K log ins per week to the legacy servers.

you can do this with each individual server to get a much more detailed number of how the 10 regular servers have been impacted by the legacy launch.  & it becomes apparent that the bulk of activity on the legacy servers isn't new, but simply shifted players OFF the 10 main servers.  which is why numbers overall are still below the seasonal Christmas holidays and first couple weeks of the New Year.

Lux Aeterna now has both:

Anor

image.png.4f46bb4d24967cdcdb4f3ebc2ecd9bc7.png

&

Ithil

image.png.60fafd2cc7b92f61a8967f9744bfea4b.png

& i think these are displaying correctly now.  (an extrapolation, so not exact, but reasonably in the ballpark.)