LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Dorf

Legendary™ Servers

On 11/20/2018 at 9:33 AM, Doro said:

We also have School and Library, since it seems Eregion is also available.

this is a funny pickle...

Epic Volume 1 has the whole Amarthiel - Ring Forges - Narmaleth redemption story arch that was released in instance form prior to the launch of Moria. including the whole pursuit by Narmaleths father Laerdan...  several later books of Epic Volume 1 occur in Eregion.

Turbine actually did push these Epic instances out prior to Mines of Moria launch, but Eregion itself wasn't finished in time & launched with Moria..

Epic Volume 2 opens Moria.

while Eregion did package in with Mines of Moria launch, it was actually intended to be apart of Shadows of Angmar, but production schedules demanded the release of Moria by a certain timetable, so the actual Eregion landscape shipped late.

not that out of character actually  ;)

Eregion is technically SoA.

5 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

you can do this with each individual server to get a much more detailed number of how the 10 regular servers have been impacted by the legacy launch.  & it becomes apparent that the bulk of activity on the legacy servers isn't new, but simply shifted players OFF the 10 main servers.  which is why numbers overall are still below the seasonal Christmas holidays and first couple weeks of the New Year.

So are we looking at around a 30% drop across all servers with the intro of the 2 Legendary servers? If so, that could mean that both new servers are potentially busier than any other server right now.

20 minutes ago, Doro said:

So are we looking at around a 30% drop across all servers with the intro of the 2 Legendary servers? If so, that could mean that both new servers are potentially busier than any other server right now.

This assertion is backed up by many player-number-quotes presented by players on the official forum from their home servers.  What does it say about the current level cap end-game that the majority of people would rather play a different version (well, not really) of the game?

16 hours ago, Doro said:

A 30% drop on the old servers is close but there are exceptions. Evernight is holding its own and daily has exceeded Anor for all this past week. The bottleneck queque was intentional just so Cordovan could make his post claiming success. Ithil will not survive much longer. SSG choice to create Ithil was downright dumb. If they leave it open it looks bad. If they close it and merge with Anor it will look worse. Mean while a good portion of the old servers have taken a hit as above noted. This in itself will cause a domino effect which I doubt SSG can stop until the last domino falls. That won't mean the game will shut down but if its starts they might as well pull the plug. I've long lost my optimism about the future of LotRO. This recent move reeks of desperation. I'll be watching the player logon numbers but tbh this doesn't look good.

The multiboxers mentioned above are likely legit and not gold sellers. It's easy to get lifetime accounts for LotRo and if a person is willing to shop around they are relatively cheap. The only drawback with purchasing one from a wholesale seller is retaining the account if something goes wrong. I dont mean the original owner trying to reclaim. I mean if the multiboxer starts using scripts or 3rd party programs and flaunts it. I have no doubt if an account get reviewed by a GM and they see it has changed hands they will instantly permaban it. Not because it changed hand, but because they have eliminated a free ride from a past legacy they would as soon not have anymore. Also in hopes the player will restart on a new vip account.

Take notice the recent sale. In this is the Moria content. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?669254-LOTRO-Store-Sales-Black-Friday-and-Weekly-Sales&p=7893398#post7893398 I doubt SSG will wait four months to release Moria. Coincidentally the 4 month mark is the quarterly earnings mark. I read players saying time and time again more revenue means more for dev time, more for content, more for QoL. What I see is more revenue means more for the investor. Not more for the player.

A few stabs at the future reality of LotRO. No Shelob raid. Faster timing on releases for the new LS's. No more dev time to PvMP, period.

LotRO under SSG is now being instructed by someone from DBG directly on how the game is presented and focused.  Much more on earnings than SSG managed. Every implementation has a manipulation factor which now is undeniably blatant. Example, buy yourself a key on AH and watch a lootbox opening. I laughed when I saw a new animation for this. Damn if it isn't a YAY! I win! Then, I never seen one before. Another, the whole U23 grind. The whole thing is geared to set you up, one step at a time to continually push you to buy something. I could go on with many examples describing this but I think you all get the picture. My point is SSG under DBG directives are clamping down to produce revenue. I doubt the people who work at SSG care anymore about the playerbase as they once did or have claimed to. At this point its, how do I keep my job?

22 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

this is a funny pickle...

Epic Volume 1 has the whole Amarthiel - Ring Forges - Narmaleth redemption story arch that was released in instance form prior to the launch of Moria. including the whole pursuit by Narmaleths father Laerdan...  several later books of Epic Volume 1 occur in Eregion.

Turbine actually did push these Epic instances out prior to Mines of Moria launch, but Eregion itself wasn't finished in time & launched with Moria..

Epic Volume 2 opens Moria.

while Eregion did package in with Mines of Moria launch, it was actually intended to be apart of Shadows of Angmar, but production schedules demanded the release of Moria by a certain timetable, so the actual Eregion landscape shipped late.

not that out of character actually  ;)

Eregion is technically SoA.

Only half of Eregion's landscape launched with Moria. The remainder came several months later. Anything across the river was blocked off, which included the School and the Library. At least that is how I remember it from those years ago

1 hour ago, Splay said:

Only half of Eregion's landscape launched with Moria. The remainder came several months later. Anything across the river was blocked off, which included the School and the Library. At least that is how I remember it from those years ago

yeah production schedules were all over the place.  Lothlorian wasn't ready to go either as i recall.  hard to keep it all ordered when disorder is the modus.  ;)

18 hours ago, Doro said:

it is odd...  (not really)...  that the gains and drops are entirely consistent across all 10 servers...    like the fine tooth detail you'd have to comb through data to find variance of any significance, that is one deep data dive!  ;)

but yes if you combine Arnor & Ithil, they have more concurrent players than any other server.  Arnor alone, the margin is actually quite small over Brandywine, or Evernight, or Crickhollow, or Arkenstone (the former top 4.)  Ithil alone currently matches but does not supersede Laurelin, or Landroval, which i find to be a poetic bit of irony...  not unpacking that here.  ;)   and as of yesterday (Thursday Nov. 22) it has only been 2 weeks.  what staying power will week 3 hold?   ;)

regardless, that isn't really the key factor i am drawing attention to here.  rather the sum total of the 12 servers, is still below the annual peak over the Christmas holiday and into the New Year.  so that speaks volumes to how successful this endeavor has been.  the reality is the overwhelming majority, (by a massive landslide) is old existing players & a smaller portion of returning former players. 

the actual new this generated is but a thimbleful & arguably would have been the same new generated without.

but that doesn't really matter much if it succeeded in sucking more revenue from the existing player teet.  that is the only number Daybreak will focus on.  did 2 extra servers increase revenue?  by how much?

& arguably this entire charade may indeed be good for the short term.  which may be all they have anyway.

does anyone really believe LOTRO has a tail long enough for another decade? more???

harder and harder this cow will be milked until it expires.

show us them teets bitches!   (i mean serious gamers & even more so LoTR enthusiasts... )   ;)  

2 hours ago, Splay said:

The bottleneck queque was intentional just so Cordovan could make his post claiming success.

i believe there is actually a legitimate cause for the queue.

initially there was ONLY Arnor.   entirely new characters all cramming onto one server with 4 starting positions (Elf, Dwarf, man & Hobbit) & players not only doing this on one server, but for multiple characters, because you know, those names saved must happen, even for those with all character slots unlocked...  what is it 42 now?

technically the layering feature should handle this, but that assumes bandwidth capacity can expand with demand...  & i suspect that would be stretching assumption past the reality.  ;)

bottle necking players in a queue that has broken update information, forces additional log ins, creating an artificial high log in activity.

regardless, i recall hearing the best numbers for Anor opening day was 1600 concurrent players.  a number Brandywine easily gets on a Sunday during the Winterfest.  i am sure a couple other servers hit that as well.

so yeah they will toot the success horn, but reality is...  the numbers aren't really that incredible.  & i will again say, still below the seasonal high at year end...  even all 12 added together...  still less.

6 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

yeah production schedules were all over the place.  Lothlorian wasn't ready to go either as i recall.  hard to keep it all ordered when disorder is the modus.  ;)

it is odd...  (not really)...  that the gains and drops are entirely consistent across all 10 servers...    like the fine tooth detail you'd have to comb through data to find variance of any significance, that is one deep data dive!  ;)

but yes if you combine Arnor & Ithil, they have more concurrent players than any other server.  Arnor alone, the margin is actually quite small over Brandywine, or Evernight, or Crickhollow, or Arkenstone (the former top 4.)  Ithil alone currently matches but does not supersede Laurelin, or Landroval, which i find to be a poetic bit of irony...  not unpacking that here.  ;) and as of yesterday (Thursday Nov. 22) it has only been 2 weeks.  what staying power will week 3 hold?   ;)

regardless, that isn't really the key factor i am drawing attention to here.  rather the sum total of the 12 servers, is still below the annual peak over the Christmas holiday and into the New Year.  so that speaks volumes to how successful this endeavor has been.  the reality is the overwhelming majority, (by a massive landslide) is old existing players & a smaller portion of returning former players. 

the actual new this generated is but a thimbleful & arguably would have been the same new generated without.

but that doesn't really matter much if it succeeded in sucking more revenue from the existing player teet.  that is the only number Daybreak will focus on.  did 2 extra servers increase revenue?  by how much?

& arguably this entire charade may indeed be good for the short term.  which may be all they have anyway.

does anyone really believe LOTRO has a tail long enough for another decade? more???

harder and harder this cow will be milked until it expires.

show us them teets bitches!   (i mean serious gamers & even more so LoTR enthusiasts... )   ;)

i believe there is actually a legitimate cause for the queue.

initially there was ONLY Arnor.   entirely new characters all cramming onto one server with 4 starting positions (Elf, Dwarf, man & Hobbit) & players not only doing this on one server, but for multiple characters, because you know, those names saved must happen, even for those with all character slots unlocked...  what is it 42 now?

technically the layering feature should handle this, but that assumes bandwidth capacity can expand with demand...  & i suspect that would be stretching assumption past the reality.  ;)

bottle necking players in a queue that has broken update information, forces additional log ins, creating an artificial high log in activity.

regardless, i recall hearing the best numbers for Anor opening day was 1600 concurrent players.  a number Brandywine easily gets on a Sunday during the Winterfest.  i am sure a couple other servers hit that as well.

so yeah they will toot the success horn, but reality is...  the numbers aren't really that incredible.  & i will again say, still below the seasonal high at year end...  even all 12 added together...  still less.

Agreed with what you say about the log on queue and its cause. People at SSG know how people are when it comes to games and any other sort of things where a log on has numerous people doing it at the same time. Can't get in? Relog and hope to bump to the front. This the part where I say it was intentional. Yes, for the sole purpose to artificially inflate the numbers. Also to create the sense that this thing is in high demand inciting a frenzied state among the participants. Some kid is texting his friends going (OMG! This game is the shit! Get in here bros! Its on!) or at least SSG would want it to be in this manner. It's just one mind fuck after another these days. Too bad really, because playing a game for fun has taken a back seat.

3 hours ago, Doro said:

Looks like someone got hold of the GM tools for the Legendary Server.

image.png.eba1120fc113c7f75242a3c630cec04e.png

Or the GM got into some recreational substances and/or forgot which channel they were using.

Well, it's been 3 weeks, and already the servers are pretty boring. Runs are robotic now (players aren't even bothering to lead runs, people just do things, often starting bosses before the group is even gathered). Everything without a cooldown is on farm because over-gearing is possible. There's no PvP, so no competition (and since I'm a minstrel, it's a fucking pain that I can't use it to get my rez deed sorted). And the biggest thing for me is that you don't really have a viable way to max-gear.

The existence of this Essence gear has killed gearing completely. At least in SoA, you could run the end-game content and get the best gear possible. But with Essence (and, to a smaller extent, that rare classless landscape teal stuff) dropping so fucking rarely, you're either not going to get to max-gear, or you're going to waste time grinding for it. No thanks. Sure, you don't need it (with all teal essence pieces and essences, the stats you'd be at would make you a god), but it takes away that feeling of completion you get when you've properly kitted out and everything's great. Essence shit is just that LI grind expanded out and made even more fucking time-consuming.

The presence of the Store keeps creeping in, too. Fucking seasonal event is on and it just keeps reminding me that there's so many Store-only horses, pets, items, etc. I went running around a housing area, and there's people who have bought these little crate things that apparently give daily crafting items to them. No fucking wonder the game isn't dead when so many numpties are still paying for shit like that. And to add insult to injury, the black dye issue is back!

We mentioned this before on these forums that they fucked people over when they changed the crit of Rust Dye from Black Dye to 3x Rust Dye. The result on this legendary server? There's a whole 2 fucking black dyes on the AH, and they want upwards of 10g for one fucker. Let me guess, the idea is to push people to the Store. Well, what do you fucking know, the black dye on the Store is the most fucking expensive of all the dyes. At 100 points for one, and 450 for five, these cunts are pricing them at twice the cost of any other dye (4x the cost of some of the shittier dyes, like orange). It is the single most expensive dye I can see on that Store, and all because they know how fucking rare it is when made by players.

It's dredging up all the old hatred in me again. If I want to see Moria, I may have to just throw this bullshit aside for 3 months and come back when the new cap is here.

50 minutes ago, Doro said:

If I want to see Moria, I may have to just throw this bullshit aside for 3 months and come back when the new cap is here.

Yonder, old servers you know.... Moria is calling.... yield to it....

(Actually, it's a dwarf with a giant hammer going berserker on a water wheel but who cares?).

welp i think this makes it a month of Sundays (generally speaking Sunday tends to be the peak for the week) & here is how the high point of the week looks one month in...

image.png.3b60f431c5d0bec1d6270cc36f05f94c.png

image.png.e6cce2c2b3fe2e0bb1dac8afdf314b80.png

combine the 2 at the weeks high point, roughly 1000 player concurrency...

hasn't been a log queue this, or the previous week.

i've heard somewhere transfers between the 2 are free for the rest of December?

not that i have played on either, but right about now i'd be considering moving from Ithil too Anor, if i was...    never know when it will be free again...   ;)