LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Lexicus

WoW Classic Details

For anyone interested in a return to Azeroth the following link has details on development:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/world-of-warcraft/22646759/restoring-history-creating-wow-classic-panel-recap

From what I saw of BlizzCon panels, and playing the demo client, I think this is as close as we're ever going to get to WoW 1.12.

The short of it, they found on a tape drive backup a backup of WoW 1.12, and they found out that it still worked.  To get the WoW 1.12 BlizzCon demo client, they went through and ripped out most of the server code, while still keeping the DB and art assets, and then stitched everything back together so that it would work on the WoW:BFA infrastructure while referencing the original 1.12.  Blizzard didn't want to try to update the 1.12 code because that would have likely introduced a ton of bugs, exploits, and security vulnerabilities that they had long since fixed.

I think it will be a disappointment for most players, in our memory we remember the good things and forget the bad things that are currently fixed. Though it will be a lot better then the Lotro version of a legendary server ;)