LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Almagnus1

FTC Will Investigate Loot Boxes

Full disclosure, I hate loot-boxes.  Even further, I hate how the actual content devs spend time creating in LOTRO pushes you in not so subtle ways to use loot-boxes with (now) store-only bought keys.  And spare me the yeah, but you don't *need* to do x, y and z.  If it wasn't meant to be utilized, it wouldn't be in the bloody game.

For every person that whines, but SSG needs to make money so the loot-boxes have to stay because there is no other way to keep the game alive, I point them to FFXIV and it's subscription based model.  People don't seem to realize that a loot-box driven game actually equates to less content being developed (for that particular game) on a regular basis.  Meanwhile, the "legendary" servers are all smoke and mirrors.  Anything to distract from the shit show that is the current end-game experience.

SSG won't budge on loot-boxes until they are forced to by law.

The game needs an enema.  The developers...even MoL, sold their souls to the devil long ago I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, Papi said:

For every person that whines, but SSG needs to make money so the loot-boxes have to stay because there is no other way to keep the game alive, I point them to FFXIV and it's subscription based model.  People don't seem to realize that a loot-box driven game actually equates to less content being developed (for that particular game) on a regular basis.  Meanwhile, the "legendary" servers are all smoke and mirrors.  Anything to distract from the shit show that is the current end-game experience.

The downside is that so many have invested so much time and effort into LotRO that the only way they'll feel good about leaving that behind is if LotRO closes, so they'll do almost anything to defend LotRO despite the flaws of the game.

The great irony is that even Warframe demonstrates you can do F2P in a decent model (it's got a lot of time gating so it forces you to be somewhat casual about the entire thing, as you will be very hard pressed to grind out MR25 in anything less than a year unless you're streaming the entire thing as your job), yet doing a Warframe style F2P demands that the devs basically show you everything they're working on, including times where the community team will show some unpolished things like the hour and a half stream where the CM was hunting for a pile of poop while a bunch of devs watched the stream and died of horror from seeing a bug being demonstrated live to their fans (for those wondering, the CM did eventually find the poop and tranq the critter).

Thing is, you don't necessarily need an endgame as long as you have good content utilization.  That's one thing LotRO is exceedingly weak on, and basically ruined when they went to the trait trees.

14 hours ago, Papi said:

Full disclosure, I hate loot-boxes.  Even further, I hate how the actual content devs spend time creating in LOTRO pushes you in not so subtle ways to use loot-boxes with (now) store-only bought keys.  And spare me the yeah, but you don't *need* to do x, y and z.  If it wasn't meant to be utilized, it wouldn't be in the bloody game.

SSG won't budge on loot-boxes until they are forced to by law.

The game needs an enema.  The developers...even MoL, sold their souls to the devil long ago I'm afraid.

Not only is less content developed but already long before the lootboxes appeared, changes were made to specific parts of the game in preparation for their arrival. Nothing was accidental.

For example, crafting levels were no longer added, including guild levels which could produce very nice armour and jewelry pieces. This prevented players from falling back on crafted armor without essences (which was esentially too good at level and could last many levels beyond that) that was pretty close to a new level cap when essence armor was introduced and a store bought solvent was necessary to create a superior essence.

Another is the belated max level limit placed on older armor sets which gave good set bonuses.

Yet another one is the phasing out of landscape drops. No more surprising armour drops after a good kill, no more crafting recipes, no more good quest rewards, whether it is jewelry or armour.

Barter currencies that no longer simply lead to good armour sets but that add a huge grind to endgame, to even be able to get a chance at BIS.

Armour/Jewelry crafting necessities dropping so rarely (from nodes) that gearing with crafted gear only is almost impossible.

Then there is the phasing out of regular 'lootboxes' with sturdy keys, and the removal of the black steel keys. Lootboxes are disgusting, but so is everything that led up to it. If we put it all together, they've been planning where the game is at now for years.

11 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Thing is, you don't necessarily need an endgame as long as you have good content utilization.  That's one thing LotRO is exceedingly weak on, and basically ruined when they went to the trait trees.

Which they admitted, many years later, was a big mistake.

Not only that, but they started doing things like making festival cosmetics account bound so they couldn't be shared among friends or stored in alt account storage, and not making last years' mount half price like they had been for years.  Stupid, petty crap like that is just as bad IMO. And you see people on the OF saying things like "maybe it's a bug" each festival and asking for it to be changed back as if SSG really gives a flying fart what they think.

I wondered why I had dozens of lootboxes but not a single key drop. To be honest, I'm not surprised. There's plenty of shady shit they do that is designed to push people to the Store. It would be nice to see at least one of those things bite them in the arse.

6 hours ago, warspeech said:

Not only that, but they started doing things like making festival cosmetics account bound so they couldn't be shared among friends or stored in alt account storage, and not making last years' mount half price like they had been for years.  Stupid, petty crap like that is just as bad IMO. And you see people on the OF saying things like "maybe it's a bug" each festival and asking for it to be changed back as if SSG really gives a flying fart what they think.

Making the cosmetics not sharable means that people have to 'play the game' = possible customers in the store. Same with last year's mount not being half price = you have to play more to get more points = more quest resets with MC? Not sharable cosmetics also meant fewer offers in the AH and less gold changing hands (cosmetics were easy to come by for goldsellers).

That is all led to less fun and people playing the game 'their way' is of no concern to SSG.

All petty indeed.

The apologists go pretty far. Just before the weekend a poster had bought $200 worth of LP but had not received the points. He had tried to have a GM look at it, then filed several bug reports, pm'ed the CM, posted on the forums.... no one helped him solve the issue. Finally yesterday a blue name responded. I hope it got resolved.

Today, one of SSG's biggest apologists posted this: And any system anywhere in this world is perfect? I pay Amazon for 2-day Prime shipping but I don't throw a instant gratification tantrum when it's a day later, especially when there has been bad weather and holidays. People just need to grow up.

How on earth does someone think that that's an appropriate response or that SSG doesn't have to provide customer service?

People just need to grow up.

3 hours ago, Doro said:

I wondered why I had dozens of lootboxes but not a single key drop. To be honest, I'm not surprised. There's plenty of shady shit they do that is designed to push people to the Store. It would be nice to see at least one of those things bite them in the arse.

The 'pet collection panel' comes to mind, while old festival horses go for 70MC in the store.

When black keys were removed from the landscape, players were left with 'slivers' of black keys that could no longer be converted into black keys.

The new housing area where rent is paid in MC but free for VIPs. It's also possible to pay rent with gold but the amount is out of proportion with rent in other areas.

The LS where people have to be VIP + a store with special offers that include housing writs = people continuing to VIP otherwise they lose their house.

The conversion rate '$ into LP into MC'. Unlocking travel routes and traveling to quest giver in new areas is 5MC. It looks insignificant but adds up quickly.

4 minutes ago, Tarantula said:

Today, one of SSG's biggest apologists posted this: And any system anywhere in this world is perfect? I pay Amazon for 2-day Prime shipping but I don't throw a instant gratification tantrum when it's a day later, especially when there has been bad weather and holidays. People just need to grow up.

Sounds like a doormat, to me. Happy to get walked all over and pay for the trouble of it. It's those sorts of people* that are letting companies think they can screw their customers over.

*"... great supine protoplasmic invertebrate jellies..." - BoJo

1 hour ago, warspeech said:

Do the lootboxes still each take up an inventory slot too?  Not stackable?

Not stackable, at least on the Legendary Servers.

Doro, you wanted to see something that bites SSG in the arse?

Look at this gem, now on BR:

It will require 1 MC to remove 1 essence from a piece of armour

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?669480-Seals-no-longer-drop-and-P2W-Essence-Removal-System&p=7896187#post7896187

Seals no longer drop on BR, so it will be impossible to trade at skirmish camps for essence removal scrolls when this goes live.

3 hours ago, Doro said:

Sounds like a doormat, to me. Happy to get walked all over and pay for the trouble of it. It's those sorts of people* that are letting companies think they can screw their customers over.

Wonder how people like this are going to respond to the above MC change...

Can't say 'but they need to stay in business' anymore.

1 hour ago, Doro said:

Not stackable, at least on the Legendary Servers.

You can add them to your item ignore list :)

3 hours ago, Doro said:

The entire purpose of that particular poster's account (along with those of many others) is to make excuses for SSG.  I have long suspected that individual of being an incognito company employee.  The amount of ass-kissing is just too disproportionate to the content of their arguments.

21 minutes ago, Tarantula said:

Doro, you wanted to see something that bites SSG in the arse?

Look at this gem, now on BR:

It will require 1 MC to remove 1 essence from a piece of armour

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?669480-Seals-no-longer-drop-and-P2W-Essence-Removal-System&p=7896187#post7896187

Seals no longer drop on BR, so it will be impossible to trade at skirmish camps for essence removal scrolls when this goes live.

WOW!  That ought to go over well.  The forums should be fun on this one!

I have a ton of those essence removal scrolls saved up, I think I got them from Yule festival tokens a while back.  Maybe I should put them on the AH and see what they go for.

11 minutes ago, warspeech said:

WOW!  That ought to go over well.  The forums should be fun on this one!

I have a ton of those essence removal scrolls saved up, I think I got them from Yule festival tokens a while back.  Maybe I should put them on the AH and see what they go for.

Cheapest on Landroval are 45/50gold. If you want to sell, wait till this new idea makes it live?

1 hour ago, Tarantula said:

You can add them to your item ignore list :)

Please tell me that actually exists.

It is a real feature, added after I stopped playing so I don't know how to access it.  It was mostly added so people could stop getting LI drops they didn't need anymore, and level 85 crafting recipes and mats that kept dropping up into the 100s.  I'm sure someone here can tell  you how to get to it to select what to filter out.

2 hours ago, Doro said:

Please tell me that actually exists.

It does! When in game, open the, what I call, 'options' tab at the bottom, left hand side, where you can access 'traits', LIs, etc. The last option in that list is 'Filters'. You can filter (drag and drop) items, quests, and sounds for one character or for all characters on your account. Quests have an option at the bottom to filter them for that character/your account as well.

1 hour ago, Tarantula said:

... and sounds...

Hold the fucking phone, are you telling me I can specifically mute the sound of all those annoying jangling cunt horses people are riding around on?!

Edit: Holy fuck, this changes everything. I got the right window with alt+r, then pressed "record" and it basically lists all the sounds you can hear at that time, as they happen. I've now muted the overly loud waterfalls in Rivendell, the jangly horses previously mentioned, various fire effects because it's just white noise, and every emote I've had the displeasure of encountering so far. It won't be long until the game doesn't sound like a fucking trainwreck any more! Thank you for this early Christmas miracle.

41 minutes ago, Doro said:

Hold the fucking phone, are you telling me I can specifically mute the sound of all those annoying jangling cunt horses people are riding around on?!

Edit: Holy fuck, this changes everything. I got the right window with alt+r, then pressed "record" and it basically lists all the sounds you can hear at that time, as they happen. I've now muted the overly loud waterfalls in Rivendell, the jangly horses previously mentioned, various fire effects because it's just white noise, and every emote I've had the displeasure of encountering so far. It won't be long until the game doesn't sound like a fucking trainwreck any more! Thank you for this early Christmas miracle.

Hahahahhahahahahahaha So SSG  goes 'will you give us money now'???????????????

I don't even know how all of that sounds. I play without sound, always have.

9 minutes ago, Tarantula said:

Hahahahhahahahahahaha So SSG  goes 'will you give us money now'???????????????

I don't even know how all of that sounds. I play without sound, always have.

It looks like this is the only feature they haven't monetised (yet), and they can get fucked if they think it's going to make them any from me!

15 hours ago, Doro said:

If I ever got back into the game, I'd use this to mute the NPCs in Rohan.  I remember once when I was cashing in a bunch of tokens to rebuild Hytbold, after they lowered each quest to need just one token to complete, it was a constant steam of

"Our mission is dire"/"What business have you with the Rohirrim/"Will you aid the Rohrrim"/"Will you aid the Horse-Lords"?"Our success depends upon our strength"/"Will you aid us"/"The Rohirrim will need your aid"/"The Rohirrim have need of your services"  etc. etc. repeat repeat repeat.  By the end of it I wanted to burn the whole place down again.

14 hours ago, warspeech said:

If I ever got back into the game, I'd use this to mute the NPCs in Rohan.  I remember once when I was cashing in a bunch of tokens to rebuild Hytbold, after they lowered each quest to need just one token to complete, it was a constant steam of

"Our mission is dire"/"What business have you with the Rohirrim/"Will you aid the Rohrrim"/"Will you aid the Horse-Lords"?"Our success depends upon our strength"/"Will you aid us"/"The Rohirrim will need your aid"/"The Rohirrim have need of your services"  etc. etc. repeat repeat repeat.  By the end of it I wanted to burn the whole place down again.

True stuff here. I was reading this while eating a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats and sprayed my monitor with milk and cereal.

I honestly have no idea how in the hell this game is still being available. There has to be a few thousands retards using Mithril Coin to travel from West Bree to South Bree dozens of times a day.

One of the forum posters has the SSG cock swallowed so hard its coming out their ass. It's the same person who trashed the consolidation thread years ago. I called them out on this and Viv came to their rescue. If this forum poster played on Landy, I'd load up a slew of alts and troll fuck them into hell.

Note to self: Keep edible projectiles away while reading here.

Unlike Star Wars Battlefront and other titles, Lotro is such an obscure game that I feel it might fly under the radar of potential regulations and so get away with a lot of immoral and possibly illegal business practices. Who's holding SSG accountable? If there are regulations against loot boxes, can we trust SSG to scale back on them in game? 

On 12/1/2018 at 2:28 PM, warspeech said:

Those dialogue phrases kill me! The guy pronounces Rohirrim like "Rohireem." It drives me up an absolute wall. 

7 hours ago, Smitty said:

Those dialogue phrases kill me! The guy pronounces Rohirrim like "Rohireem." It drives me up an absolute wall. 

I'm pretty sure that the same voice actor also voices Aragorn and Eomer.  But for Eomer, he just makes his voice sound a lot deeper. 

It reminds me of that scene in Infinity War where Star-Lord is trying to sound like Thor,  gets called out on it, and yells "This IS my voice!".  LOL yeah right.

Much as I complain about us being a "cesspool of negativity" the loot-box showering I receive, with the keys to open them being "store-only", has pissed me off regally. 

I used to buy two keys a month (Lifer), but their "shit+embers"content  was just adding to my stress level. Tried to sell them. On ignore list now. 

On 11/29/2018 at 3:19 PM, Tarantula said:

Not only is less content developed but already long before the lootboxes appeared, changes were made to specific parts of the game in preparation for their arrival. Nothing was accidental.

For example, crafting levels were no longer added, including guild levels which could produce very nice armour and jewelry pieces. This prevented players from falling back on crafted armor without essences (which was esentially too good at level and could last many levels beyond that) that was pretty close to a new level cap when essence armor was introduced and a store bought solvent was necessary to create a superior essence.

Another is the belated max level limit placed on older armor sets which gave good set bonuses.

Yet another one is the phasing out of landscape drops. No more surprising armour drops after a good kill, no more crafting recipes, no more good quest rewards, whether it is jewelry or armour.

Barter currencies that no longer simply lead to good armour sets but that add a huge grind to endgame, to even be able to get a chance at BIS.

Armour/Jewelry crafting necessities dropping so rarely (from nodes) that gearing with crafted gear only is almost impossible.

Then there is the phasing out of regular 'lootboxes' with sturdy keys, and the removal of the black steel keys. Lootboxes are disgusting, but so is everything that led up to it. If we put it all together, they've been planning where the game is at now for years.

Yes, yes and yes. :(