LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Papi

Censoring Words

Can we not use the word faggot, if possible?  I'm all for free speech, but when I see grown adults using that word I freely admit it triggers me.  I'm not trying to derail the thread, but I've noticed it being used with more frequency (and not just by our moderator).  I'm genuinely asking.  Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Papi said:

Can we not use the word faggot, if possible?  I'm all for free speech, but when I see grown adults using that word I freely admit it triggers me.  I'm not trying to derail the thread, but I've noticed it being used with more frequency (and not just by our moderator).  I'm genuinely asking.  Thanks.

If we start limiting word use based on individual preferences, we might as well not be using any words at all. Besides, the guy was clearly being a faggot.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw

Edit: Feel free to start a thread if you want to debate that.

8 minutes ago, Doro said:

If we start limiting word use based on individual preferences, we might as well not be using any words at all. Besides, the guy was clearly being a faggot.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw

Edit: Feel free to start a thread if you want to debate that.

Look, I'm not some SJW trying to come here and limit free speech.  I'm one of a small number of people who comes to this forum who finds that word offensive.  No intelligent person is going to honestly argue how that word has been/is primarily used--no matter how many CK Louis videos you post.  There is nothing to debate.  If me asking another grown man to not use the word faggot in this space is too much to ask, then I have no problem not posting here anymore.  Your call.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Papi said:

So are you up for censoring the word "faggot" from Lord of the Rings as well?

Grow some thicker skin, you're part of the problem.

@Almagnus1What the fuck are you talking about?  If it's actually come to the point that grown adults can't have a discussion or share opinions and one of them politely say "hey, I'd prefer you not use that word in a derogatory manner around me" and it not explode into some ridiculous diatribe about free speech and censorship then fuck it.  

Context is all good, but if the word is still being used to insult, the intent is still there.  You don't get to apply your own meaning to the word and act oblivious to the history behind it's use.  Well, you can if you want to come across as ignorant.  I find it funny that Doro posted a clip from Louis C.K. because it reminded me of a scene I saw while watching his TV show when he asked one of his gay friends if it bothers him when he uses the word on stage:  

36 minutes ago, Papi said:

I find it funny that Doro posted a clip from Louis C.K. because it reminded me of a scene I saw while watching his TV show when he asked one of his gay friends if it bothers him when he uses the word on stage: 

And the guy used an urban myth about the origin of the word faggot, and a story about how he's heard that word when he's been beaten up. Plenty of straight people have gotten into fights and had any number of words thrown at them during said altercations, I don't think gays have a self-pitying monopoly on that.

11 minutes ago, Doro said:

Plenty of straight people have gotten into fights and had any number of words thrown at them during said altercations, I don't think gays have a self-pitying monopoly on that.

Yeah, but straight people don't get beaten up simply because they are straight. 

There aren't places in the world right now where people are getting killed simply for being straight.

But you know all of that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Papi said:

Yeah, but straight people don't get beaten up simply because they are straight. 

There aren't places in the world right now where people are getting killed simply for being straight.

But you know all of that.

No, they get beaten up sometimes just because they were standing there. There are people being killed all over the world for various reasons. Again, gays do not have a monopoly on it.

1 minute ago, Doro said:

No, they get beaten up sometimes just because they were standing there. There are people being killed all over the world for various reasons. Again, gays do not have a monopoly on it.

You're purposely missing the point.  This is ridiculous, you've wasted your time creating a separate thread for this.  I fully support your right to act like a 12 year old child and call other grown adults faggots.  Carry on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Papi said:

You're purposely missing the point.  This is ridiculous, you've wasted your time creating a separate thread for this.  I fully support your right to act like a 12 year old child and call other grown adults faggots.  Carry on.

No, I just don't think it is a point. You want to act like gays are the only ones to ever suffer injustice and violence, and I don't buy into it. You wanted this conversation, clearly, so we're having it. And I fully support your right to be a cock-end that thinks he's somehow more mature simply because he gets all buttflustered over a word on the internet. Boo fucking hoo, pal.

Just now, Doro said:

No, I just don't think it is a point. You want to act like gays are the only ones to ever suffer injustice and violence, and I don't buy into it. You wanted this conversation, clearly, so we're having it. And I fully support your right to be a cock-end that thinks he's somehow more mature simply because he gets all buttflustered over a word on the internet. Boo fucking hoo, pal.

I never said gay people are the only ones to ever suffer injustice and violence.  They are, however, a select minority of people who have and continue to suffer injustice and violence simply because they are gay.  That point can't even be argued.   To even equate that with "No, they get beaten up sometimes just because they were standing there" is just you being disingenuous.

You've pulled this shtick before over the years when people have politely asked you to tone your shit down--and that was before you were a moderator.  And you always raise the freedom of speech/censorship banner like you are on some fucking crusade.  At the end of the day, you just want a space where you can be a dick with no consequences and anytime someone threatens that or, god forbid, ask for a little bit of civility, you cry foul.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Papi said:

I never said gay people are the only ones to ever suffer injustice and violence.

Great, so now you should understand why your request to follow your own subjective guidelines on suitable profanity is completely redundant.

8 minutes ago, Doro said:

Great, so now you should understand why your request to follow your own subjective guidelines on suitable profanity is completely redundant.

You're right, I was clearly asking too much of you.  My sincere apologies.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Papi said:

You're right, I was clearly asking too much of you.  My sincere apologies.

No problem.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:15 PM, Doro said:

And that's realization is a large reason why the Republicans gave a giant "FUCK YOU" to the Democrats and elected Trump as the current US President.