LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Almagnus1

Doomsaying - When does math say the LotRO Population will hit zero?

6 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

I imagine a lot of it has to do with the sunk cost fallacy ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost#Loss_aversion_and_the_sunk_cost_fallacy ).

indeed, sunken cost fallacy is pretty much why most overstay any type of relationship that would have ended under healthy conditions.

the other is IP.  if this was just a generic fantasy game with no source legacy behind it...  this particular game would have died faster than Ashrons Call.  MUCH FASTER!

i doubt it would have made it to the first expansion.

6 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

(although a studio pulling a Diablo Immortal on you will definitely help).

haven't had much time to delve into the BLIZZARD subject, or its cause AKA Activision...  but man the industry may finally get the needed kick to the balls that has been building for at least a decade now.

covering that shitshow though, is time i do not currently have.  fortunately, it is in many other good hands elsewhere.  ;)

that is the thing about being a behemoth...  when all those fans turn on you at the same time... the chunk they can tear off your sum parts, is pretty significant.    !

21 hours ago, Doro said:

I'm now firmly in the belief that this undead game will never lose all its player base, because there's just too many oddballs out there with seemingly an endless supply of disposable income but nothing else going on in their life, so they keep on spending. Maybe it's some mental disorder along the lines of autism. It's the only explanation I can think of as to why they're so fucking weird.

I mean, look at this shit. Making threads to share fucking song lyrics where they make it about Lord of the Rings? Or this trash. What sort of NPC-level sort of humour is that? And even worse, people respond positively about it. Reeks of that mental fucker you see at bus stops with their belly out humming fucking anime intros out of key. Normally, people steer clear of the nutter, but on the forums? They congregate like outcast moths to a socially-inept flame.

These are the sorts of people who are still fuelling the game, and with people that out of touch with normality it's no longer surprising to me that SSG keeps the lights on.

Every time I see one of those posts I am reminded of a Louis CK bit, even though he likes to get caught jerking it.

• Upvote 1

There is a Palantir leak where Cordovan was arguing back and forth with folks about class balance.  It was an interesting read (I won't post it here, but it shouldn't be hard to find).  

4 hours ago, Papi said:

There is a Palantir leak where Cordovan was arguing back and forth with folks about class balance.  It was an interesting read (I won't post it here, but it shouldn't be hard to find).  

It's been deleted from Reddit, but a player of lotro with a youtube channel made a video.  You can pause said video and read what I assume is the entire exchange.  What I've concluded is that one of the requirements for being hired as CM of Lotro is to be a world class twat.

This was a really strange one.   A day or two later a different reddit name said that they had been impersonated as the Palantir person and were trying to clear their name.  I recognized the original name from the OF, so if that's true, that's taking forum PvP to a whole new level.

33 minutes ago, warspeech said:

This was a really strange one.   A day or two later a different reddit name said that they had been impersonated as the Palantir person and were trying to clear their name.  I recognized the original name from the OF, so if that's true, that's taking forum PvP to a whole new level.

You mean the person who posted the screenies from discord are trying to backpedal to cover their ass because someone informed them they could be in deep shit for breaking nda?