LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Almagnus1

Doomsaying - When does math say the LotRO Population will hit zero?

4 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

Laurelin is the worst server because of it.

That whole mess on the forums when they merged servers,  with Laurelin raging about having to adapt to new players who didn't fit into their naming conventions. That was so damn obnoxious.  It become abundantly clear to me  that a lot of them didn't really care about the names, because they had names that actually violated their rules.  It was simply a case of xenophobia.  With that Banghole Twinkieass leading the charge.  I wonder how many people left the game entirely due to being attacked by entitled douchebags.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Amenhir said:

That whole mess on the forums when they merged servers,  with Laurelin raging about having to adapt to new players who didn't fit into their naming conventions. That was so damn obnoxious.  It become abundantly clear to me  that a lot of them didn't really care about the names, because they had names that actually violated their rules.  It was simply a case of xenophobia.  With that Banghole Twinkieass leading the charge.  I wonder how many people left the game entirely due to being attacked by entitled douchebags.

You mean Bango.com, the guy that stole his name from the UK stock exchange?

5 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

You mean Bango.com, the guy that stole his name from the UK stock exchange?

Yes, that guy.

Necroing this....

So given what we've seen with the Legendary servers, does the  population data back up the assumption that we'll see server merges within the next couple of years?

24 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Necroing this....

So given what we've seen with the Legendary servers, does the data back up the assumption that we'll see server merges within the next couple of years?

I could see it happening, considering current trends. Logins for all servers are at levels equal to or lower than they were just prior to the first merges. The Limited Servers are at the same level as servers that were killed off during the merges, so they should really be the first to be put together. Looking at the figures, they could easily merge all the US servers into one, and all the ex-EU servers into another, without ever hitting the sort of numbers they used to have during LotRO's prime for a single server.

5 minutes ago, Doro said:

I could see it happening, considering current trends. Logins for all servers are at levels equal to or lower than they were just prior to the first merges. The Limited Servers are at the same level as servers that were killed off during the merges, so they should really be the first to be put together. Looking at the figures, they could easily merge all the US servers into one, and all the ex-EU servers into another, without ever hitting the sort of numbers they used to have during LotRO's prime for a single server.

IMO I can see SSG dropping Language support (like French for example), and maybe the Legendary servers to help reduce overhead.

I mean, aside from shooting the legendary servers once SSG realizes that nobody wants to play them anymore, I can see Siranon (FR server) and Gladden getting the axe first.

Well, Brexit is a stupid idea; At least not done to help the citizens of the UK, but just to give some Politicians power and wealth

Same goes for Lotro, as long as it gives some people enough money, it wil go on...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thrabath said:

Well, Brexit is a stupid idea; At least not done to help the citizens of the UK, but just to give some Politicians power and wealth

So you're saying that the formation of the Lodinistan Caliphate is a good thing?

10 hours ago, Thrabath said:

Same goes for Lotro, as long as it gives some people enough money, it wil go on...

Yes, but the question becomes how many servers will be 

17 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

So you're saying that the formation of the Lodinistan Caliphate is a good thing?

But the media said the brexit is bad...

Back to the thread... based on population decline, when do we think we're going to see the next server mergers?

6 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Back to the thread... based on population decline, when do we think we're going to see the next server mergers?

Literally at any point from now, considering the numbers are at what they were when the last ones happened.

I'd say these decisions are made on a quarterly basis. Seeing how an already mostly developed "expansion" (Ikr lol) is around the corner, I say if it happens, it wont be until the beginning if the new year. One, the incoming revenue may keep the sinking ship afloat thru another lunar cycle. Two, if sales tank, when they return from the holidays, they can then make preparations to reduce or close the servers entirely. Either way by mid summer of next year, it will be over. Oh btw. Who in the fuck goes on vacation, holiday or not, when their company is floundering?

Same as Turbine, SSG are a cocky bunch and their hubris is deep ingrained to the point of stubborness. So any reduction in servers means SSG has to say to the gaming world they are failing. I could almost seeing SSG pulling the plug suddenly, than having to endure the embarrassment.

One thing I never understood is why SSG hasn't been working on a new project through all this time. It could very well be happening but not on SSG time or books. A back up for employment security for the eventually end of LotRO and SSG. I'd say they would be total dumbasses to not be doing this because... Lets face it. These nerds aren't getting another job making games.

It's going to hinge on the perceived value in the Minas Mogul package prices. They fucked up last time because they just don't know the game they had/have.

How likely is it that they know any better now? I this SSGRed_Panda in the hot seat for it? 

What's crazy now is that all the fluff fans are having their means of bartering what they want driven by loot boxes too, these were peeps happy to regularly use the store and buy the premium packages without another thought.

But even if players see value in the pack prices can they forget the constant squeeze on their resources of late.

Mac

P.S. The Brexit vote was just to establish that the UK has 17 million morons who thought our moron politicians could extricate their way out of more than a paper bag.  

4 hours ago, Splay said:

One thing I never understood is why SSG hasn't been working on a new project through all this time. It could very well be happening but not on SSG time or books. A back up for employment security for the eventually end of LotRO and SSG. I'd say they would be total dumbasses to not be doing this because... Lets face it. These nerds aren't getting another job making games.

In their myopic 'vision'... DDO seems to be that. I admittedly know zero about DDO, never followed it, never checked it out. I've only become cognizant of it due to SSG pushing it and shoving it in my face in fucking Lotro channels. Yes, communication channels reserved for Lotro discussions get clogged with DDO updates, DDO previews, DDO hype - ya know, the kinds of things SSG is utterly silent about when it comes to actual Lotro. I was flipping through a recent SSG interview transcription - "by Lotro fans for Lotro fans" - and at least half of that content was fucking DDO-related. Quite extensive developments too - when compared with Lotro development standards. Not to mention actually talking about tangible, pragmatic upcoming things players can expect. It's like these fat management nerds cast a spell of Bumbling Idiot Persuasion and were in danger of actually knowing what they yapped about. But then the moment passed.

I don't know how established or monetizable DDO is, but sounds like that's their mattress money and they're just dicking around with Lotro thinking they can get away with anything by these Tolkien IP cocksuckers who put up with anything. Forget "Minus Morgul", SSG misspelled the word "hobbit" in official public communication, for crying out loud. I do think it's no coincidence Made of Lions, still retained on their payroll, is an "ex-lawyer." Someone has to wiggle their incompetent nerdy lardasses out of all the legal nooses over lootbox stuff and other legal implications of their treatment of paying customers.

From having played DDO, it was pretty clear to me that DDO got the lion's share of dev treatment, while LotRO got whatever was left over, likely cause DDO is cheaper to dev for (they control basically everything there as long as they stay compliant to the 3.5 Eberron or Forgotten Realms settings), and SSG figures LotRO will work because players are dumb enough to support a bad product because they've managed to convince a majority of them it's a Tolkein sim instead of a game, and they should help support the Tolkein sim....

Every time I "almost" feel bad for this Tolkien sim, I bring out a vivid little memory from last year...

Beta in early 2018: Some players spotted undocumented change that wasn't in Bullroarer notes: a new [pick-a-mount box] added to lootboxes, containing steeds from raid meta-deeds. (Like the Steed of Many Colors, and other ultra rare steeds earnable via challenging game content). I started a thread about it, which quickly filled with so much player rage (rightfully so) that DrOctothorpe came in, apologized, and promised to remove these raid steeds from lootboxes before it hits live servers. This was done.

Summer 2018: Another update hits live servers, and some players spotted undocumented change that wasn't in live release notes: a new [pick-a-mount box] added to lootboxes, containing steeds from raid meta-deeds, such as the Steed of Many Colors. But wait!... This horse has now been renamed as Steed of Shifting Hues, so nobody can ever claim or prove it was the same steed - per SSG logic. And sure enough: multiple rage threads over the broken dev promise got infested by the full army of SSG brown-nosers with their usual derailing, heckling, and ad hominems claiming this steed is "different" and "obviously not the same". This is on live servers, btw, so by the time the shitstorm brewed some idiots have already spent cash on lootbox keys to "buy" this steed, so it's a massive legal mess on top of an already PR disaster. It was getting so damn ugly, Severlin was obliged to insert himself into the thread giving some bullshit shady words like "oops this was a mistake we don't know how it slipped in there, we're seeing what we wanna do." No bans or infractions, of course, on toxic turdlets openly attacking/ridiculing anyone expressing indignation over the whole thing.

A week later: The "promised solution" arrives. And what is it? A new steed is added to the Isengard raid meta-deed. And how does it look? An exact copy of the Steed of Many Colors, but repainted in shit-stain colors that alternate in a brown shit-stain smudge. I am not joking. What's more, the horse under this shit-stain caparison is an exact copy of Forochel reputation mount - again no joke. And a terrible eyesore of color mismatch. Hurray, now you get this "new" shit-stain steed for completing the raid meta-deed. While the actual, original, Steed of Many Colors was basically stolen and trivialized by becoming just another lootbox item any fat idiot can buy without playing the actual damn game. You'd think they could've shoved this new shit-stain horse into the lootbox, while leaving the raid meta-steed alone, but nope.

So every time I get nostalgic about Lotro, I think of this and nostalgia instantly dies. I also think about the time and effort spent earning the original Steed of Many Colors, which was my most prized steed (I did the content on-level). All those good memories of raiding with friends, now re-painted in shit stains.

What kind of company fucking hijacks their own game content *and* shits on its players to this extent, all at the same time? No better cure for Lotro nostalgia. Ironically, the only way left to "preserve" the Lotro legacy is for SSG to croak before they mutilate the game's earlier (more 'classic') content even more.

Btw anyone who was following along with the above drama, and yet still gives them money after all that, deserves a lobotomy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrath of Winter said:

Ironically, the only way left to "preserve" the Lotro legacy is for SSG to croak before they mutilate the game's earlier (more 'classic') content even more.

True.

1 hour ago, Wrath of Winter said:

Every time I "almost" feel bad for this Tolkien sim, I bring out a vivid little memory from last year...

Beta in early 2018: Some players spotted undocumented change that wasn't in Bullroarer notes: a new [pick-a-mount box] added to lootboxes, containing steeds from raid meta-deeds. (Like the Steed of Many Colors, and other ultra rare steeds earnable via challenging game content). I started a thread about it, which quickly filled with so much player rage (rightfully so) that DrOctothorpe came in, apologized, and promised to remove these raid steeds from lootboxes before it hits live servers. This was done.

Summer 2018: Another update hits live servers, and some players spotted undocumented change that wasn't in live release notes: a new [pick-a-mount box] added to lootboxes, containing steeds from raid meta-deeds, such as the Steed of Many Colors. But wait!... This horse has now been renamed as Steed of Shifting Hues, so nobody can ever claim or prove it was the same steed - per SSG logic. And sure enough: multiple rage threads over the broken dev promise got infested by the full army of SSG brown-nosers with their usual derailing, heckling, and ad hominems claiming this steed is "different" and "obviously not the same". This is on live servers, btw, so by the time the shitstorm brewed some idiots have already spent cash on lootbox keys to "buy" this steed, so it's a massive legal mess on top of an already PR disaster. It was getting so damn ugly, Severlin was obliged to insert himself into the thread giving some bullshit shady words like "oops this was a mistake we don't know how it slipped in there, we're seeing what we wanna do." No bans or infractions, of course, on toxic turdlets openly attacking/ridiculing anyone expressing indignation over the whole thing.

A week later: The "promised solution" arrives. And what is it? A new steed is added to the Isengard raid meta-deed. And how does it look? An exact copy of the Steed of Many Colors, but repainted in shit-stain colors that alternate in a brown shit-stain smudge. I am not joking. What's more, the horse under this shit-stain caparison is an exact copy of Forochel reputation mount - again no joke. And a terrible eyesore of color mismatch. Hurray, now you get this "new" shit-stain steed for completing the raid meta-deed. While the actual, original, Steed of Many Colors was basically stolen and trivialized by becoming just another lootbox item any fat idiot can buy without playing the actual damn game. You'd think they could've shoved this new shit-stain horse into the lootbox, while leaving the raid meta-steed alone, but nope.

So every time I get nostalgic about Lotro, I think of this and nostalgia instantly dies. I also think about the time and effort spent earning the original Steed of Many Colors, which was my most prized steed (I did the content on-level). All those good memories of raiding with friends, now re-painted in shit stains.

What kind of company fucking hijacks their own game content *and* shits on its players to this extent, all at the same time? No better cure for Lotro nostalgia. Ironically, the only way left to "preserve" the Lotro legacy is for SSG to croak before they mutilate the game's earlier (more 'classic') content even more.

Btw anyone who was following along with the above drama, and yet still gives them money after all that, deserves a lobotomy.

I remember this whole bit of insanity.

There was a player on Landy who instantly bought a load of keys just to get that very horse. Once he had it he stood atop the West Bree stable master gloating how he knew the horse would be removed and he'd be a few who could proudly mount his rare store bought horse. I had a chat exchange with this player. Who by the way is terrible on his Champ and Reaver. In this exchange he attempted to suggest my Hobbit looks bad and looking good is far better than being good in game and real life. My Hobbit wears a tattered tunic and trousers colored black. His Champ is always decked out in the newest store cosmetics. He stood there for days wanting attention so bad. Right on the spot of the stablemaster. So eventually I told him he was a store bought bitch and that looking good in a game is something but being bad at ezpzy pve is just terrible. He rode around me on his unearned steed and did laugh emotes. Until... I place my Fashionable title for him to see. Then he went silent and stopped moving. In a short moment he put in world chat he had placed me on ignore. Oh it was justice. :Y To this day he hates me and tries to troll me through say chat on the occasions he logs on. I found out later when he did a spar with his kin leader and lost, then he left that kin. Looking good is fine and well in a game and in real life but if you are a worthless fuck who looks good you have very little value to anyone anywhere. Least of all to yourself.

This guy I describe is a classic example of who SSG wants as a customer. Someone who impulsively spends their money on useless items and then leaves shortly after. Maybe to return one day to do it all over again.

The customer they don't want is someone who displays some sort of loyalty by knowing quality when they see it and are willing to be honest and even critical when needed, to keep a product to a standard considered quality.

• Like 1

I have a magic mount in Lotro. I call it up and it appears like a basic horse but magically it turns into an ELK with antlers. I have a magic goat too, that appears as normal goat and hey presto and it changes to a bright red coat. Copy and paste on new skin money for old rope. I literally see my mounts getting fatter and fatter before my eyes as skins are overlaid. 

Buy a store mount on dialup and you get to see a couple of seconds of the raid mount before it's covered in shit. Well maybe not, they copy the skin, photoshop that then stick that back on.

They should really be farming this stuff off to the Chinese and get on with making a game, it's like they want to fail.

Using that "Fashionable" title was the absolute perfect thing to do.  /swordsalute

I love hearing stories like this! 

PS I remember the steed controversy, but I did not realize that they changed the original Meta-Deed one to look that bad.  That was a really prestigious mount.  Clowns.

Someone broke the class specific titles in Moria so I had my hunter grab the burglar one Mischief-maker.

I think the raid mounts stayed as they were.

The game will end when Daybreak isn't getting a commission check.  As long as some money is coming in, at least enough to cover overhead(with some profit), the game will continue ad infinitum.  I haven't given them any money in over a year.  Once in a while a friend will ask me to hop in and help them with something.  It's a great feeling when you can say, "sorry, I'm not vip, I don't have access."  Rest assured that we won't know the end is near until they shut down the game.  I'd hazard a guess that players will get a month of warning, at best  Announcing a closure further out would cut into their bottom line.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 4:41 PM, Amenhir said:

The game will end when Daybreak isn't getting a commission check.  As long as some money is coming in, at least enough to cover overhead(with some profit), the game will continue ad infinitum.  I haven't given them any money in over a year.  Once in a while a friend will ask me to hop in and help them with something.  It's a great feeling when you can say, "sorry, I'm not vip, I don't have access."  Rest assured that we won't know the end is near until they shut down the game.  I'd hazard a guess that players will get a month of warning, at best  Announcing a closure further out would cut into their bottom line.

I have a feeling WoW returning to form (via Classic) is going to hurt the smaller MMOs because WoW:Vanilla was a tour de force of MMO design.  There's a very good reason why I played for a bit, then promptly uninstalled the game - as I'm not going to repeat the past... at least not until I have a week off and can no-life it so WoW doesn't negatively impact life.