LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Talisman

Be Virtuous!

Since the EP Letter thread has been hijacked...

This just in from Severlin:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?671463-Tinkering-With-Trait-Deeds-Removing-A-Way-To-Earn-LoTRO-Points&p=7918861#post7918861

I am going to answer some questions, but we all need to agree that the design might change - maybe drastically.

Currently here is the plan.

Again, THIS DESIGN MIGHT CHANGE - MAYBE DRASTICALLY.

The Virtue points that players can already earn in game will have a flat cost, say (as an example) 100 Virtue XP. Deeds that formally gave out a specific point will now give out (in this example) 100 Virtue points so the rate of gaining points in the same. In the new Virtue UI there will be an additional slot that you drag a Virtue to that will be used to determine which Virtue gets the XP. If the Virtue is at maximum value, or if there is no virtue slotted, then we have discussed several options -> the XP goes to the highest Virtue that is not at max - the XP goes to the lowest Virtue that is not at max - or even that the XP goes to your slotted Virtues in order from left to right and then rolls over in alphabetical order. These haven't been finalized yet, and cost to implement might play a role.

Anyway, you complete a deed and the 100 XP goes into the slotted Virtue which coincidentally adds exactly one rank. It means if you are running a high level character we can add quests at end game or even a Festival quest that gives some Virtue XP so you are not forced to go back to older content to progress the system. Maybe a substantial quest or deed gives the full 100, while a lighter Festival quest gives 20. It gives us a lot of freedom for expanding the system.

Points given out in the future may cost more than 100 XP depending on how we want to give out rewards. While the "grind" of future points might take longer, you would also be progressing by playing relevant content while earning loot and XP that is also relevant to your character.

Sev~

Clearly, this system can be monetized easily - they can just offer "virtue XP points" bundles in the store, like they do with promotion points for not-so-epic battles.

As has been said as long ago as the introduction of the store, from now on the game will be designed around the store... except back then no one knew what would be eventually in it.

From a monetization presentation I learned that the goal is for it to not be the icing on the cake but to be mixed in with the entire dough. I think we can see that well, at the moment.

• Like 1

Well, they already sell virtues at the Store, so no difference here really. What kind of surprises me is, will players be able to do whatever deed they want to do and increase their preferred virtues? If so, it actually would be easier to cap virtues. There's gotta be more than meets the eye.

9 minutes ago, MusicMachine said:

Well, they already sell virtues at the Store, so no difference here really. What kind of surprises me is, will players be able to do whatever deed they want to do and increase their preferred virtues? If so, it actually would be easier to cap virtues. There's gotta be more than meets the eye.

Based on past experience with their crap I trust that they will be very capable of making the new virtues in the store very very different from what we see now ;)

As they design the game accordingly, the quantity of virtues may become both bottomless and an absolute necessity.

1 hour ago, Tarantula said:

Based on past experience with their crap I trust that they will be very capable of making the new virtues in the store very very different from what we see now ;)

As they design the game accordingly, the quantity of virtues may become both bottomless and an absolute necessity.

You mean like a free virtue that is +100 to the awesomeness of your outfit, but the one in the store is +40,000 to tact mit?

Here is how I see it panning out

• Low level virtues will be easy to acquire because you know 100 virtue XP = 1 virtue level at low levels
  • As you gain levels and go past say Moria the virtue XP needed to level them grows whilst you remain only gaining that 100 XP for instance rank 6 of a virtue may cost 200XP than rank 7 will be 250XP
  • They will add virtue deed tomes in the store that will increase virtue XP as well as letting you simply tier them up
  • By the time you reach Gondor, virtues will cost roughly 2000 or more of the XP yet you still only gain 100 per completed deed
  • Of course there will be a massive "Ooops we did not think about that" where people who paid previously for virtues will have their virtue levels decreased as well as those who farmed them.  
  • For instance my main has almost every virtue 3-5 levels over cap.  I would bet that once this change comes, I will be knocked down below cap for "reasons"
  • There will be an outcry on the forums about people losing virtues they paid for ect. and the shills like Maartena will defend the change claiming "they can change the game anytime ect. ect."
  • While this is going on, they add mithril coins to kinships and are deflecting attention away from upcoming LI fuck up I mean overhaul

Just the way I see things happening..... of course the shills are all excited about Minas Morgul which I dont know how in hell they are going to do a full expansion of unless we head to Nurn as well (which frankly I would love to see as that is my favorite area in Both Shadows games).  But, we are heading to the Vales next and I can not wait to see how they screw that up.

Just my opinions on how I think this will play out.

12 hours ago, Amenhir said:

You mean like a free virtue that is +100 to the awesomeness of your outfit, but the one in the store is +40,000 to tact mit?

Stop the mind reading ;)

Added: Who would have ever thought they would charge for the removal of essences? Or charge 50MC for a starter horse?

Players should expect anything and everything being changed for the worst possible scenario... all for the almighty $.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Exactly.

They'll fuck this up some how, I'm certain of it. They're already thinking of stupid ways to implement it even at a most basic stage, and I can't understand how they have the jobs they do. It's almost as if they intentionally make shitty systems so that they can later "fix" them and look like they're doing something.

1 hour ago, Doro said:

They'll fuck this up some how, I'm certain of it. They're already thinking of stupid ways to implement it even at a most basic stage, and I can't understand how they have the jobs they do. It's almost as if they intentionally make shitty systems so that they can later "fix" them and look like they're doing something.

exactly., all the leaps and bounds shouts $$$$ Generator to me.  The simple way would be to simply do a deed and choose the virtue to add the point. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheKickman said:

exactly., all the leaps and bounds shouts $$$$ Generator to me.  The simple way would be to simply do a deed and choose the virtue to add the point. 

I see it as basically the same solution. Reminds me of the perk system in the Fallout games, where you level up and get granted a point to spend in your perks, but they just sit there waiting to be spent until you choose. In this case, they want to cater to casuals yet a-fucking-gain, so they want to effectively grant fractions of points that you can build up, so they should just have a Virtue XP bar that fills up as you do deeds, and each time it gets completely filled it grants a point, then we just choose where it goes. Simple concept, but in the hands of incompetent devs.

In my opinion at this point every time they revamp an old system it's only to squeeze more money.

The virtues system doesn't really need a revamp only need to become an account wide so one won't need to farm the same trait over and over again, but then who would buy all those wonderful virtues booster packages.

• Like 1

And this is how this game finally dies.

Any bets they'll piss off the whales and die before they release the x64 client?

21 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

And this is how this game finally dies.

Any bets they'll piss off the whales and die before they release the x64 client?

This game won't die that easily