LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Talisman

22 Hours

and 6 more, so 39 now. Who said 44? I'm beginning to believe you have inside information ;)

And if I remember the last database-disaster, I thought they had moved it somewhere external... 

I've got to say, I'm curious to know what went wrong. A blown power supply without having a spare part? Someone accidentally let drop a server blade?

Incredible. It went from 1 full day of missed gameplay for people the correct side of the Greenwich line, to 2 days. Can they make it a third? Find out on the next exciting episode of "Who Expected Anything Else?"!

1 hour ago, Thrabath said:

and 6 more, so 39 now. Who said 44? I'm beginning to believe you have inside information ;)

And if I remember the last database-disaster, I thought they had moved it somewhere external... 

I've got to say, I'm curious to know what went wrong. A blown power supply without having a spare part? Someone accidentally let drop a server blade?

Someone lost the 50,000 punch cards that have the Lotro code, and they're waiting on that shipment of vacuum tubes they ordered in 1957 to arrive.

1 hour ago, Thrabath said:

I can't almost imagine that, I just looked back how the last one went: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Server_Moves_and_Migrations

That's 3 years ago, so those servers are probably around 3,5/ 4 years old. That's not that old. And that move also gave some problems I see ;)

I know, I was mostly kidding.   But we don't really know if those servers were new, do we?  I can see them going for the el cheapo generic brand of hardware and getting a bunch of repackaged refurbs.

image.png.db1baafdbb68785fa54665239f3a0433.png

I see a drinking game opportunity with every new "update". Or a betting game. At least two more downtime extensions, says my Gentleman Jack glass tumbler. Who's in?

(I could imagine how excruciating this Chinese torture is to the sycophantic monkeys. But then again I'd rather not 😊 ).

8 minutes ago, Wrath of Winter said:

I see a drinking game opportunity with every new "update". Or a betting game. At least two more downtime extensions, says my Gentleman Jack glass tumbler. Who's in?

(I could imagine how excruciating this Chinese torture is to the sycophantic monkeys. But then again I'd rather not 😊 ).

I hope you didn't put away your shot glass just yet. Go back to the same page you linked. Updated 5 minutes ago.

"Here's the latest: We're continuing to work through hardware issues, and our downtime has been extended through 5:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT) today. We will have more information about event end dates and such in the relatively near future."

I wont even bother to credit a link to this circus.

I nearly filled my bingo card.🤣

but the latest tweet isn't an extension-tweet, it's a tweet that announces a possible announcement in the relatively near future :P

Don't know what to expect with relatively near...

1 minute ago, Splay said:

I wont even bother to credit a link to this circus.

Actually reading them in order of progression puts the olive in my martini glass...

image.png.df61e8b0bb10f0c925420dd88b2b3555.png

image.png.4227b13884b93ecccdb8fbefd851880c.png

image.png.510757f5e010fe17a0d742e88cfa8d21.png

image.png.3c70a8226a3d9b8d495a18764e88447a.png

Watch the progression of react-emojis top to bottom and you can practically hear the cracks in their hollow little hearts. And I'm not even a sadist, I swear. *drinks an Old Fashioned* Who needs Angostura bitters with all those tears.

"We remain on track and on schedule."

Because 22 hours = 34 hours.

What's that German word that describes a smug satisfaction at others' misfortune?  Scheittenfraud? :P

I'm not going to turn this into a drinking game as I don't want to die of alcohol poisoning.

Either way, I'm struggling to see how a netcode change would be required for the x64 client.  Assuming SSG didn't completely screw things up, the server shouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two clients (as IIRC the Mac client is really just a Cider repackage of the x86 client and doesn't matter).... unless SSG is collecting system data at which point their metrics will show who's on what OS using which client.

IMO I suspect this upgrade is more about buying cheap servers to begin with, and not keeping them up to date (or perhaps, SSG is getting smart and moving into Azure or AWS to help reduce costs).  But at the same time, this whole thing is a real life version of https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoneHorriblyWrong

I'm wondering what the downtime for moving the Codemaster's Servers from Amsterdam to Boston was?

That was one flight, this might be two flights down to the new cage...

Mac

I've just figured out the banner on the Lotro Twitter page; it's Sev~ pointing out the new cage for the servers.

Think they'll reimburse VIPs for the playtime lost?

Because Blizzard does.  Well, back when they actually experienced extended downtime.  In 2005.

5 minutes ago, Wrath of Winter said:

Let's stall more and call it "Progress" .

image.png.20e0804f6c008630abc08f7076345316.png

I love reading through the responses.  Best so far: "When you get the Burglar dev to handle the server move."

Can someone physically link the LOTRO twitter?  Doing a search for "The Lord of the Rings Online" yields no results for me.  Probably a browser issue.  Or maybe SSG built this computer...

Thanks.

is this the longest the servers have ever been offline?

Still crossing fingers for a total database wipe, so that the nourishing tears of butthurt might flow!!! >:)

4 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

"We remain on track and on schedule."

Because 22 hours = 34 hours.

What's that German word that describes a smug satisfaction at others' misfortune?  Scheittenfraud? :P

Schadenfreude.  Nvm, I see what you did there.  

1 hour ago, psalm8818 said:

is this the longest the servers have ever been offline?

I think that it was way longer when they migrated the EU servers from Codemasters. Can’t tell for sure and can’t be bothered to google it either.

What puzzles me is that people seem genuinely surprised about the delay. Every time they put their hands on the hardware they blow it spectacular. It really shows that they are too small and too inexperienced to run this operation. Not to mention too cheap to pay someone who actually knows what they’re doing. I wonder why the Tolkiens don’t rush and remove their megamillion license from them.

Yet the sycophants keep wowing them. Great work they say. If they went to Starbucks for a coffee and the barista pissed into their cups, they would be thanking them for the extra sugar.