LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Talisman

22 Hours

I'm very patient, I have others thing i can do, but i do kinda want to know how this kind of work goes and what went wrong, just wondering.

in the meantime, I play another game or watch some good films/TV

Popcorn.gif.855167dc58b50c386c8aa350f875f00b.gif

At least they managed to delete the tweet that estimated February 8th for completion.  I'm guessing they are going through the CCTV looking for the bod who wandered off with their gear.

Mac

image.png.172003fc2e4b3df80a9853ec4926b086.png

Not new, same post as in last screenshot. The amused anthropologist in me can't help but notice the heart and laugh reacts have been entirely retracted.

My bet's on the collective ineptitude of what's left of their team causing them to track/hunt down the now-laid-off engineer vet or two who's got a modicum of clue on how to fix whatever hardware mess they've obviously run into. If said vet(s) are no longer in Boston area, cue in clumsy conference calls, game of telephone, possibly more issues as they screw up while trying to follow verbal instructions, possibly more delays if said vet(s) have to physically drive or fly in - on whose money? - bonus suspense for bad traffic and road conditions (which are more manageable overnight in time for 2am, eh). I see at least one more extension through 8am, but why stop there might as well make it 12pm and pretend it's the regular end time for usual maintenance.

34 minutes ago, Wrath of Winter said:

image.png.172003fc2e4b3df80a9853ec4926b086.png

Not new, same post as in last screenshot. The amused anthropologist in me can't help but notice the heart and laugh reacts have been entirely retracted.

My bet's on the collective ineptitude of what's left of their team causing them to track/hunt down the now-laid-off engineer vet or two who's got a modicum of clue on how to fix whatever hardware mess they've obviously run into. If said vet(s) are no longer in Boston area, cue in clumsy conference calls, game of telephone, possibly more issues as they screw up while trying to follow verbal instructions, possibly more delays if said vet(s) have to physically drive or fly in - on whose money? - bonus suspense for bad traffic and road conditions (which are more manageable overnight in time for 2am, eh). I see at least one more extension through 8am, but why stop there might as well make it 12pm and pretend it's the regular end time for usual maintenance.

1,000 Turbine Points says any such laid-off engineer is just letting those calls go straight to voicemail.

And now it's 2pm on Friday...

From twitter...

Downtime Extension: 2:00 PM Eastern Friday, March 8th The LOTRO game worlds will remain offline for work at our data center through 2:00 PM Eastern on Friday, March 8th. We will have more information tomorrow morning. Thank you for your continued patience.

I really don't understand why they said 22 hours in the first place, they should have say we will need 3 -4 days and then if they got it up and running in less than the time frame they would have looked like heros.

8 minutes ago, berry said:

I really don't understand why they said 22 hours in the first place, they should have say we will need 3 -4 days and then if they got it up and running in less than the time frame they would have looked like heros.

It's Turbine/SSG. They always oversell and under perform.

3 minutes ago, berry said:

I rather think their estimate was 12h so add another 10h for the unexpected.

But even if the full 22 hours was an accurate figure this extension means they haven't discovered the why yet. 

I shall be consoled by the Biathlon World Championships in Ostersund Sweden going on 'til 17th March. 

https://www.eurovisionsports.tv/ibu/

If they aren't up by then it's probably too late. Without the Lotro Market even the whales can't pay.

Help pages are working

https://help.standingstonegames.com/hc/en-us

Account pages aren't working

https://myaccount.standingstonegames.com

So can't cancel subs... sneaky.

3 hours ago, Talisman said:

And now it's 2pm on Friday...

From twitter...

Downtime Extension: 2:00 PM Eastern Friday, March 8th The LOTRO game worlds will remain offline for work at our data center through 2:00 PM Eastern on Friday, March 8th. We will have more information tomorrow morning. Thank you for your continued patience.

So that's 54 hours now, right? 3 whole days for players this side of the Atlantic. Fingers crossed for a 4th.

Nobody could fuck this game up more that WB/Turbine.

SSG:Hold my beer

I'm seriously wondering of this is the end, it all goes down with a failed hardware move

I hope they give us free scented candles for all of this downtime too

29 minutes ago, Altreg01 said:

I'm seriously wondering of this is the end, it all goes down with a failed hardware move

I doubt it. It's likely just an issue with downgrading the situation. LotRO is a cash cow for them, I'd take a guess they're aiming to minimise costs while continuing to get paid by the fanboy whales for very little work.

Im not following this closely, so I do not know what they are actually doing, but whatever it is they fucked up, and I wouldn't be surprised if its non reversible like corrupting the character database. There is no way of coming back from something as catastropic as that. "Here's 500 free TP for everybody on Arkenstone as we wiped all your characters."

Yeah it doesn't take this long to move computers from one room to another.

This is either hardware failure, or another datacenter downgrade.  Or SSG has been liquidated, and they've left it up to Theybreak Games to make the announcement (not likely, but what a scenario!).

Whatever the cause, the shills who helped ruin LOTRO can't play, and that makes me happy.

I'm starting to think that this is less of a simple move from one room to another and more of a "we got kicked out of our datacenter and are desperately trying to find a new home" type of move.

Why would they be required to simply swap rooms? Of course they are downgrading the hardware. My guess is that they aimed too low, so performance was so abysmal that even shills would complain, and they are now re-evaluating how low can they go without the fanbois noticing. That would imply lengthy negotiations with the publisher and much number crunching, hence the delay. I don’t think they’ll be able to open the game until next week.

50 minutes ago, psalm8818 said:

Or SSG has been liquidated, and they've left it up to Theybreak Games to make the announcement (not likely, but what a scenario!).

It did cross my mind that this could be the orchestrated end: now we can blame the hardware instead of announcing that the game will close.

7 minutes ago, Tarantula said:

It did cross my mind that this could be the orchestrated end: now we can blame the hardware instead of announcing that the game will close.

Oh...to taste the whales' nourishing tears of despair....

No, no, it's too good to be true, and I dare not even daydream about such a scenario.  The servers will be back up in a few hours days weeks, and the artistically bankrupt  mansuck that is SSG will go ever on....

6 minutes ago, Tarantula said:

But then you have to wonder what they'd have to gain from that. At least if they did a "sorry the game is closing" post, they'd be able to give whales another month or so to pony up some extra cash as a "thank you and goodbye" present (as they undoubtedly would). With broken hardware, they'd cement themselves as a truly incompetent tech team. With a planned closure, they get some of that fanboy sympathy and gratitude.

Funny how one of the most vocal critics at Twitter has had her account restricted... First they edit a post and then this. Cordoban sure casts a long shadow 😂.

If the game IS shutting down (it probably isn't, but it might, but it probably won't, but there's still a chance, but not much of one, I'm literally just projecting my biggest desires right now), the real tragedy is that there's no emulator to fall back on for custom private servers.

Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, World of Warcraft, Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies, even Asheron's Call...all have emluators.  With LOTRO, however, no once can be bothered to datamine the source code and reverse engineer it.  That's pretty telling about LOTRO's standing in the zeitgeist of gaming, and its legacy in history.  Not even worth pirating...

• Like 1