LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Talisman

22 Hours

16 minutes ago, Doro said:

But then you have to wonder what they'd have to gain from that. At least if they did a "sorry the game is closing" post, they'd be able to give whales another month or so to pony up some extra cash as a "thank you and goodbye" present (as they undoubtedly would). With broken hardware, they'd cement themselves as a truly incompetent tech team. With a planned closure, they get some of that fanboy sympathy and gratitude.

Agreed.  The "no chance to say goodbye "scenario would be a massive epic fail.   Legendary, even.

7 minutes ago, warspeech said:

Agreed.  The "no chance to say goodbye "scenario would be a massive epic fail.   Legendary, even.

But totally consistent with LOTRO's litany of publishers/developers.

"Great news, Europe, you're getting a new datacenter!"

"LOTRO is so popular, we need more servers.  Introducing the Riddermark server!"

"You're going to LOVE epic battles!"

"Have a look at the trailer for our latest expansion, Mordor!"

"Thank you for the feedback, I'll pass this on to our developers!"

Frankly, massive epic fails are the only thing Turbine/SSG is good at.

Historically these two combined games made millions per month and I wager LotRO at its peak topped tens of millions per month. When I read, and know by playing LotRO they have downgraded in varied ways. This baffles me as to why. How much can a brand new server cost? How much can contracting a data center, to keep it running, cost? Comparatively, A pittance! I tell you, in percents it doesn't equal one weeks worth of revenue per year. There is just no way it could. If a company can't invest less than 2% into maintaining it survival, longevity, and quality on a yearly basis, this seems to be a problem too me. Obvious to the playerbase, this is a long standing problem and the idea that SSG might even consider making a move to downgrade further seems self defeating.

Along those same thoughts, ongoing 12 years now LotRO lives. Yet through all this, the game has owed a debt. Never once has this game enjoyed the bounty of its success. Never once has this game stood on its own legs and determined its own fate. This fact I never understood. Instead Turbine and now SSG have always sought out a benefactor. I suspect due to their own lack of confidence in being able to withstand the burden of failure and in turn selling the prospect of success to others. Yes a buffer. A cushion. A parachute. This is all good and fine but after 12 years this once child in the gaming world could have easily moved out of mom and dads home and lived on their own.

Alas is has not. Nor will it ever be so. Now today, these events unfold and the long enduring evidence shows this game will always serve another rather than itself. Being milked so badly it can't even find the resources (Competent arbiters and tools) to function. The slave who turns the millstone day after day and is barely fed enough to survive. Until one day its legs give way.

Last time I looked there was a Daybreak Suit presiding over SSG. Don't know if it was his personal investment or Daybreak's. But with their past shenanigans it's going to be whatever suits their needs at any particular time.

There has been such a huge squeeze on the Lotro players since SSG took over that can't be explained by the EP, CM and others just not having a clue about the game.  Ofc if you don't know the game inside out then your calculations aren't going to be too accurate. Gold farmers were using the same model as SSG so when they finally stopped MC mail some of that revenue disappeared. The limits on availability of ash in Mordor to drive key sales didn't go as planned as only the whales took part. The rest did ash farms or twice daily key quests for 8 months while Cordovan and Jessica Ng couldn't be bothered to check out what reset was in play: leaving a glut of keys in the game, I have about 120 still. I laughed when that same daily reset was in play for the Ill-Omens start, how dumb can you be? At least it didn't take 8 months to fix, probably meant someone at SSG was actually doing the event. Who of them would be grinding key dailies with unlimited LP?

SO the squeeze is ramped up with U23 because the numbers didn't add up and they can't pay the their "benefactor" his cut. Can they renegotiate the deal that kept DDO and Lotro going? Better to have a percentage of something rather than nothing surely?

Mac

On 3/6/2019 at 6:48 PM, Altreg01 said:

Mind blown

lotro.jpg

Figured I'd share this again...

That's the crux of it.

DDO has ALWAYS been Turbine's favored son, whereas LOTRO has ever been the redheaded stepchild.

2 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

Oh...to taste the whales' nourishing tears of despair....

No, no, it's too good to be true, and I dare not even daydream about such a scenario.  The servers will be back up in a few hours days weeks, and the artistically bankrupt  mansuck that is SSG will go ever on....

So poetic!

2 hours ago, Doro said:

But then you have to wonder what they'd have to gain from that. At least if they did a "sorry the game is closing" post, they'd be able to give whales another month or so to pony up some extra cash as a "thank you and goodbye" present (as they undoubtedly would). With broken hardware, they'd cement themselves as a truly incompetent tech team. With a planned closure, they get some of that fanboy sympathy and gratitude.

The way I see it: until this massive 'maintenance' or whatever it is, they sucked $ for 100% and that was guaranteed. I don't think they give a sh*t about their reputation at this point. They threw that out of the window many years ago. It's their lies and corporate speak that kept them afloat ever since.

2 hours ago, MusicMachine said:

Funny how one of the most vocal critics at Twitter has had her account restricted... First they edit a post and then this. Cordoban sure casts a long shadow 😂.

Restricted how? Link? What post did they edit? See, can't trust the ********

The best part of this will be when the servers are back and those delusional players start hallucinating about non-existant improvements. “Look at these clouds” “Pretty butterflies!” “Those 64 bits sure feel good”

Just now, Tarantula said:

Restricted how? Link? What post did they edit? See, can't trust the ********

Last night there was a user at Twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/bluemarble1012 who was being very accurate in multiple tweets about SSGs complete inability to deal with this situation. Today, her Twitter account is restricted so her tweets can’t be read at Lotros twitter stream. Coincidental? Probably, but sure smells fishy. I’d bet Cordoban or others reported her.

50 minutes ago, MusicMachine said:

The best part of this will be when the servers are back and those delusional players start hallucinating about non-existant improvements. “Look at these clouds” “Pretty butterflies!” “Those 64 bits sure feel good”

Last night there was a user at Twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/bluemarble1012 who was being very accurate in multiple tweets about SSGs complete inability to deal with this situation. Today, her Twitter account is restricted so her tweets can’t be read at Lotros twitter stream. Coincidental? Probably, but sure smells fishy. I’d bet Cordoban or others reported her.

Thanks. Weird.

Thought great its up , but no the game will not recognize my password and lotro website is still down

Yeah I can't listen to this liar's bullshit for more than ten minutes.

TL;DR: It's taking longer than normal, deal with it.  OH HAI DDO PLAYERS!!!!

So they switched the servers on but can't get through authentication. One of them can surely remember their password?

Bunch of hardware issues? He joked about reversing polarities to emphasise the complexity involved. Like when he learns something new in game from the tip of the day and shows off his wisdom to the masses... 10 years late.

Could it be down to miss/not labelling each end of fibre optic cables? I doubt this would be down to SSG staff and he did mention contractors involvement. But moving provider how much cooperation is there between the old and new provider is there going to be? Old one will likely unplug everything and say here you go, sort that mess out.

58 hours now, correct? Plus, Friday evening completely lost for any non-US players. RIP in peace for those who are missing out and all that, but this is fucking hilarious.

30 minutes ago, Flymo said:

Fibre optic my arse they are still running on dial up

Pelennor certainly reminds me of dialup AC1. 

I just googled polarity and data center and got a bunch of stuff on fibre optic cable connections which I imagine is easily cocked up, an SSG trait if there was one.

I'd think that if there was a downgrading of the system it would not be straight forward if the setup was tuned for a different environment.

2 hours ago, Thurallor said:

Cordovan is streaming in a few minutes

"Hello everyone I will be on in a little bit getting some needed info first"

So. Watched a bit of this pile, and compared to the last Cord of the Rings I've glimpsed from as recently as last summer, the overall change in Cordass's demeanor is morbidly vivid. Clearly discernible physiological side effects that come with receiving all those official-forum fellations from mental health hazards over there, and from working a dead-end job blocking for his bosses's imbecility and putting on a desperate online act to convince the internet this nobody is a somebody. Smarmy tone, insecure body language, condescending and even spiteful demeanor towards his audience (everyone despises ass-kissers, even the ass being kissed). All mixed with the obviously scripted lines he's being tasked with delivering in as nonchalant manner as possible, betrayed by his tiny furtive glances off-screen and sweaty bottled-water-guzzling. Petty little politician who knows he's bullshitting through his empty suit but hoping his audience is too distracted to notice. Is this why they call it Twitch? Nailed it.

A few verbatim word salad dishes (all smeared in contrived, smarmy tone) :

"We are making progress and have made quite a bit of progress particularly in the last, let's say, 14-ish hours or so? And are much closer to re-opening than to... the other side. So... we're making progress."

"We are gonna be working through this, obviously. You are gonna be suffering through this, for those who are suffering."

"Datacenter move is the reason. We've had a bunch of hardware issues that are not insignificant that have not impacted any character data or anything like that, nothing to worry about, there are backups of backups of backups. But a lot of unfortunate hardware issues, both things in and somewhat out of our control, those in our control we've worked through, those not in our control are being worked through if not already solved. And somewhat kinda cabling issues and stuff."

On why the delay is happening:

"I don't wanna get too specific, but we are doing work at our datacenter to, I believe, move hardware and move our physical location to largely the same complex; now, I believe it's sort of a big shared complex, so there's lots of companies renting space here and things like that. And we're doing this big datacenter move, which initially we were hopeful we could do in a day, which is why we had this 22h downtime, but some hardware issues have been cropping up that required us to be in position that we can't open the game worlds, and until we can do that, clearly you can't do that. Some of the issues we have been working through reestablishing those connections and troubleshooting along the line, and engaging in, I think we're calling some contractors engaging these issues, and we're much closer to opening than we were, there is a big check list and there's a bunch of checks on that. So.. we're making progress."

On getting a lot of questions from players about server up time, etc:

"We are working on getting all those questions answered and in singular place for when we re-open, gonna be a FAQ [sic: yes, he did deliberately say "fuck"] kinda to answer some of these questions that lots of people have. Because we are not yet open it's best not to set any expectations or deadlines or dates or anything like that, wait til we actually re-open and we'll have all the information for you, but we will have that information for you."

This is a whole new genre.

Edited by Wrath of Winter
more info

I hate it that people seem to think they're running some non-profit charity.  "Cord, we have a very pressing question being bandied about in chat here. We are dying to know how to send cookies to the data center team!" They're a business, trying to make money.  People don't owe them anything.  It's not like they're keeping Lotro or DDO alive out of the kindness of their hearts.  When it stops making money, they're going to shut it down.  Regardless of how sad players will be.

Just now, Amenhir said:

I hate it that people seem to think they're running some non-profit charity.  "Cord, we have a very pressing question being bandied about in chat here. We are dying to know how to send cookies to the data center team!" They're a business, trying to make money.  People don't owe them anything.  It's not like they're keeping Lotro or DDO alive out of the kindness of their hearts.  When it stops making money, they're going to shut it down.  Regardless of how sad players will be.

I'd take a wild stab in the dark and say the sycophants that post that sort of shit don't just view LotRO as a game, but as the main "hobby" in their life. To us, it's just a minor laugh that we dip our toes into when we fuck with them, but to them it's actually a keystone to their sense of purpose. They've made the whole thing so important to them that they've developed a pseudo-Stockholm syndrome to the company behind it, and because it's important to them they think they're somehow important to the company in turn. In their mind, they've finally found a place where they belong and believe they matter, so they'll do and say whatever they can to protect that fragile position. They've got nothing else, and if I were a more empathetic cunt, I'd feel sorry for them. But I don't, the fucking losers.

• Like 1