LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Talisman

22 Hours

3 hours ago, MMT said:

welcome to the banned.

The Banned? New Kinship, eh? 

As for the downtime - I am speechless. 

The servers went back up but apparently SSG either imported a wrong DB backup or they actually lost the current data because you can only log in using an old password. People are also reporting missing VIP status, characters slots, shared storage and cosmetic storage. Some other people are missing purchased quest packs. So the servers just went back down again to fix these issues.

I have to say world chat was a lot less understanding than in the past but of course people are just happy to be back in the game after having to go cold turkey for 3 days so its only a matter of time until the old paradigm is restored.

I'd suggest people change their passwords and remove any important information if possible. If they've fucked up like that, they could've fucked up with security too.

Hahah, yeah. You see the fact that so many people were online immediately after the servers reopened and only a fraction were having issues logging in... Leads me to believe that there is a large amount of people who never change their password and probably also use that same password all across the Internet. And that, coupled with the incompetence of SSG is a recipe for disaster.

I do have to say, while I definitely would prefer to be playing the laggy, input delay infested product instead of sitting around, watching this dumpster fire has been a very entertaining couple of days. I haven't spent any money on the game in years so it's all free entertainment either way

5 hours ago, MMT said:

I see that 8818 is still showing themselves off as an annoying prick.

Hey, I'm just enjoying the shitshow, like everyone else here.

if you don't like it, you can go fuck yourself with a chainsaw.  Got it?

Looks like they lost the players database and restored an outdated version (at least 3 months old according to reports). Now they’re frantically trying to find the most recent backup which of course they forgot to save before downtime. Hopefully they still have the old servers available and will be able to extract it from them, but I wouldn’t place a dollar.

There’s no way that this is due to physical migration. If they just moved the racks, no data loss would have happened. So they swapped servers / systems without telling, you guess if they were upgrading or downgrading.

If they are unable to dump and restore their old tables, they will probably say, “OK guys due to unforeseen circunstances we lost some of your stuff during migration, deal with it”. Some players will leave, but many others are so used to abuse that they’ll send cookies and will happily keep paying their subs from their leaked CCs.

Yeah, I agree with that. I am glad this all blew up in their face, lying to your customers is never the right move. It just boggles my mind they would undertake such a big migration, in secrecy, without proper preparation. I am certain that if this would have been an upgrade, we would know about it. So instead they scaled back their operation yet again and disguised it as something completely different. The hilarious thing is that their incompetence is so obvious that they are going to have a really hard time explaining this one away. They probably won't even try, seeing as the community just seems to resemble an echo chamber at this point.

I cannot remember them giving a technical explanation for any of their past migration fuck ups, and contrary to what the gullible morons at Twitter say, there’s been a few. Same here & now.

I mean there is an obvious alternative explanation. They were actually physically moving the servers and someone dropped and broke one of them. Definitely not the picture of competency you are looking for, but better than blatantly lying about it

6 minutes ago, warspeech said:

Having to use an old password is a very bad sign.  They're definitely hiding something.

Apparently it’s people who changed it during the last 3 months and new players who is affected. I changed mine Nov I think and can log in the OF just right. I purchased a quest pack (off deeds LPs) a couple weeks ago, that’s the first thing I’ll check once back in the game. Not that I care much for it, but that would prove that the DB was tampered with.

I recall back in either late 1999 or early 2000, one of the Everquest servers was permanently wiped (Pover if I'm not mistaken) as a result of faulty hardware.  6 or 7 thousand players lost everything, and if any of you played that game in its heyday, you will remember it was a punishing grind that makes LOTRO seem like a cakewalk in comparison.

That said, Everquest is still online today (it's a completely different game, and it totally sucks, but it's still online).  So the takeaway is this; gamers are cucks, and not even wiped characters will prevent cucks from continuing to give SSG money to cuckold them.

Hell, a wipe could even revitalize interest in the game.

BLEH don't listen to me, that's crazy talk....

• Like 1

I used to play on Povar, but movelogged to Xev when they split the servers because they were getting too big.

The 20 year anniversary is coming up next Saturday. How crazy is that? If you ever feel like returning to EQ, do it on one of the Emu servers, they are all vasty superior. Also their volunteer dev teams have a larger sense of responsibility than the goons at DBG and SSG. p2002.com is my poison!

And while I do agree that starting from zero would bring some people back, the majority of people playing and paying for lotro these days are in the "4 years to level 75" camp. I think the people quitting over this would far outweigh the people it would bring back. Also, SSG would have to give up something for compensation, which might break the bank so to speak.

It’s sickening to read the comments at Twitter. People thanking SSG for fixing a 3 day downtime caused by their own inoperancy - and one that no one but their shareholders asked for. Junkie slaves them all.

EDIT: as expected, no explanation at all. Maybe they need five or six months for it to be translated.

2 hours ago, Iance said:

I mean there is an obvious alternative explanation. They were actually physically moving the servers and someone dropped and broke one of them. Definitely not the picture of competency you are looking for, but better than blatantly lying about it

I knew within five minutes of the livestream that Cordovan was obviously lying about the situation.  Those pauses accompanied by that thousand-yard stare reminded me of a Sean Spicer press briefing...

Least the compensation is very fair https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?671702-LOTRO-Post-Downtime-Events-Sales-Bonuses-and-FAQ-3-9-19

All players will receive:

A Coupon Code for a free Appreciation Box containing: 5 100% XP Boosts, 5 Enhanced XP Supply, 5 Tomes of Defence, 2000 Figments of Splendour, 3 Rapid Crafting Boosts, and an assortment of seasonal dyes. (1/Account). Expiration end of April.

Additionally, VIP players will receive: 

A VIP subscription time extension. 
250 LOTRO Points automatically granted to their account if they have logged in during the previous 30 days.

Premium players who have logged in during the previous 30 days will receive: 

250 LOTRO Points

Changed my PWs, logged in to remove all payment data from my account (should have done it already when I unsubed) and paid maintenance for my houses (all free ones) because I had spent too much acquiring and partly decorating them.  Gonna do the change PW/pay houses routine again in a couple months and that's what's left of LOTRO for me.

Quick impressions: Landy WC seemed quite shill-infested, though they weren't left unchallenged; Crick was relatively calm.

On the legendary servers they have an xp throttle to not level as fast

reducing it for a short time

Thought so, but am I being obtuse or you can’t reduce from 60 to 80%? Maybe they’re also reducing salaries for everyone involved at the mess. From 60,000 to 80,000 😖

37 minutes ago, PJ. said:

Least the compensation is very fair https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?671702-LOTRO-Post-Downtime-Events-Sales-Bonuses-and-FAQ-3-9-19

All players will receive:

A Coupon Code for a free Appreciation Box containing: 5 100% XP Boosts, 5 Enhanced XP Supply, 5 Tomes of Defence, 2000 Figments of Splendour, 3 Rapid Crafting Boosts, and an assortment of seasonal dyes. (1/Account). Expiration end of April.

Additionally, VIP players will receive: 

A VIP subscription time extension. 
250 LOTRO Points automatically granted to their account if they have logged in during the previous 30 days.

Premium players who have logged in during the previous 30 days will receive: 

250 LOTRO Points

Doesn't seem that fair to me. 1 lot of a bunch of crap and 250 points, all limited only to people who logged in 30 days beforehand. That's junk.

They're not even trying to do anything for people who have lost interest in the game.  They should give everyone the compensation, and send an email to all accounts to let them know about it.

Sadly they didn't roll back my OF ban. The forums are the same polar opposites as usual but they really don't want to unleash you guys back into the fray.

I'm not sure I want to login just yet. Obviously plenty of fuel for some banter later on. 

Yup the comp for a lifer is a pile of poo. What am I going to do delay my flight to Switzerland another thee days?

You'd think that however long the downtime was that they would actually try the servers out for a bit with their own characters first.

The game is awash with  exp and this forms much of the package. What numpty wants to rush to the endgame grind/money pit? Someone moaned about lifers getting 72000 free LP over the 12 years, that's about ONE fully maxed Imbued LI via the store route.