LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Talisman

22 Hours

I still don't know what exactly went wrong, but this is hilarious nonetheless. Some great memes on r/lotro. 

I also still maintain that at some point the game will simply cease to function. There will be some tweak or change here or there that, combined with all the other stuff being supported on a rotting foundation, will simply topple the whole thing and they won't know how to put it back together. 

I checked the accounts page. My main account looks complete but one f2p account is missing an expac, that's after Cord piped up that everything should be fine after the re-restart.

Even back in AC days you'd never risk logging in on patch day, think I'll go back to six nations rugby and some more biathlon for a while longer.

Whatever they did seems to have reset my password. I changed it during this whole mess for caution's sake, but their "fix" reverted it back to my previous password. If anyone else changed theirs, I'd double-check what it is now.

2 hours ago, Doro said:

Doesn't seem that fair to me. 1 lot of a bunch of crap and 250 points, all limited only to people who logged in 30 days beforehand. That's junk.

It’s for people who have played recently not for salty sea hags who haven’t played for years 😛😛

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2019 at 3:10 PM, Doro said:

I'd take a wild stab in the dark and say the sycophants that post that sort of shit don't just view LotRO as a game, but as the main "hobby" in their life. To us, it's just a minor laugh that we dip our toes into when we fuck with them, but to them it's actually a keystone to their sense of purpose. They've made the whole thing so important to them that they've developed a pseudo-Stockholm syndrome to the company behind it, and because it's important to them they think they're somehow important to the company in turn. In their mind, they've finally found a place where they belong and believe they matter, so they'll do and say whatever they can to protect that fragile position. They've got nothing else, and if I were a more empathetic cunt, I'd feel sorry for them. But I don't, the fucking losers.

Yep, I call it Tolkien Derangement Syndrome

23 hours ago, PJ. said:

Least the compensation is very fair https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?671702-LOTRO-Post-Downtime-Events-Sales-Bonuses-and-FAQ-3-9-19

All players will receive:

A Coupon Code for a free Appreciation Box containing: 5 100% XP Boosts, 5 Enhanced XP Supply, 5 Tomes of Defence, 2000 Figments of Splendour, 3 Rapid Crafting Boosts, and an assortment of seasonal dyes. (1/Account). Expiration end of April.

Additionally, VIP players will receive: 

A VIP subscription time extension. 
250 LOTRO Points automatically granted to their account if they have logged in during the previous 30 days.

Premium players who have logged in during the previous 30 days will receive: 

250 LOTRO Points

bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Is this a fucking joke..... oh yeah and people apparently are still missing shit.  

4 hours ago, TheKickman said:

Is this a fucking joke..... oh yeah and people apparently are still missing shit.  

You think a DB server got a can of Mountain Dew spilled on it during transfer?

Gatorade (or lemonade is worse imo - from experience destroying keyboards back in my win98/drinking days)

On 3/8/2019 at 3:40 PM, MusicMachine said:

The best part of this will be when the servers are back and those delusional players start hallucinating about non-existant improvements. “Look at these clouds” “Pretty butterflies!” “Those 64 bits sure feel good”

As you predicted, it's happening. People over there going on about how the "upgrade" has improved issues with lag/crashes/FPS.

I logged in yesterday to play a little, still first region in Mordor and I can't remember having so much lag/stuttering. I normally play on highest/ almost highest settings, i've lowered them to the lowest possible within a couple of minutes - though it didn't improve the situation much/at all...

49 minutes ago, Thrabath said:

I logged in yesterday to play a little, still first region in Mordor and I can't remember having so much lag/stuttering. I normally play on highest/ almost highest settings, i've lowered them to the lowest possible within a couple of minutes - though it didn't improve the situation much/at all...

Same, when I read about the rollbacks on some accounts, I patched my game and logged in.  Was alone in Winterhome (the festival map) and was bouncing between 80fps and 30 fps.  Also skill lag when healing (was a mini) and of course this is on a new gaming PC that runs Shadow of War in Ultra High so yeah

34 minutes ago, TheKickman said:

Same, when I read about the rollbacks on some accounts, I patched my game and logged in.  Was alone in Winterhome (the festival map) and was bouncing between 80fps and 30 fps.  Also skill lag when healing (was a mini) and of course this is on a new gaming PC that runs Shadow of War in Ultra High so yeah

And this is why I keep calling the client an unoptimized mass of spaghetti code.

This is what I imagine happens when a new player loads up the game for the first time.

New player has just logged off some other highly resource intensive AAA title that is 5 months old that plays flawlessly.

"Hey, maybe I'll check out this Lotro.  I loved the movies and I have a friend who plays the game"

Downloads and installs client........... 18 hours later.

"Phew, that took a while, I guess it's because it's got a decades worth of content"

Logs in to the server of choice for the first time

"Holy crap this game runs like shit!"

Furiously checks all of their settings and hardware to ensure that it isn't something on their end and logs back in

"Damn, why does this game run so badly?"

Sees random hobbit playing a lute to a captive audience right in front of the stable master and sends them a tell(they can't post to world chat)

"Hey, I just started playing the game today.  Does it always run so badly, frame rates are terrible and the lag is horrendous"

Random hobbit responds 

"How dare thee besmirch the almighty Lotro.  This is a perfect digital representation of Middle Earth.  You should be grateful SSG has deigned to allow us this opportunity to play!"

New player wanders off to find someone else to ask

"Hey, I just started playing this game.  Does it always run so badly?  Frame rates are terrible and the lag is horrendous"

Random player responds

"I don't know what you're talking about.  This game runs flawlessly for me.  What are your pc specs?  Have you thought about upgrading to(insert way more power than is needed for a 10 yr old game)?"  Turn all the pretty stuff off and your settings to very low.  Problem solved"

New player thinks for a moment

"Fuck that, I'm not upgrading to(insert computer capable of creating life)in order to play this damn game"
New players logs off, never to be seen or heard from again.

2 hours ago, Amenhir said:

"I don't know what you're talking about.  This game runs flawlessly for me.  What are your pc specs?  Have you thought about upgrading to(insert way more power than is needed for a 10 yr old game)?"  Turn all the pretty stuff off and your settings to very low.  Problem solved"

I don't know what you're talking about. This game runs flawlessly for me on ultra,  8GB RAM,  Intel 3 -4130,  GTX 1050 2GB.

P.S. I had kinnies on highest, newest PCs, cursing and swearing, and unable to play. 

1 hour ago, Jedy2 said:

I don't know what you're talking about. This game runs flawlessly for me on ultra,  8GB RAM,  Intel 3 -4130,  GTX 1050 2GB.

P.S. I had kinnies on highest, newest PCs, cursing and swearing, and unable to play. 

I guess that makes sense.  Takes an outdated piece of shit to run an outdated piece of shit.  I did have an old kinmate who had some anecdotal evidence that Lotro ran better on his Windows 98 pc, than his new rig..  

19 hours ago, Amenhir said:

I guess that makes sense.  Takes an outdated piece of shit to run an outdated piece of shit.  I did have an old kinmate who had some anecdotal evidence that Lotro ran better on his Windows 98 pc, than his new rig..  

All of the tech issues are due to Turbine and SSG not actively updating LotRO's engine as they should have.

I'm guessing DDO probably has similar issues.

6 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

All of the tech issues are due to Turbine and SSG not actively updating LotRO's engine as they should have.

I'm guessing DDO probably has similar issues.

I believe DDO doesn't have the huge persistent world of Lotro. We have issues crossing boundaries in the open world that maybe not so evident in DDO where they are dealing with instanced spaces far more. Maybe the engine is tuned for DDO?

2 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

I believe DDO doesn't have the huge persistent world of Lotro. We have issues crossing boundaries in the open world that maybe not so evident in DDO where they are dealing with instanced spaces far more. Maybe the engine is tuned for DDO?

I believe that's a large amount of it, as DDO is comprised of a bunch of instances, with the largest map maybe being as big as the average LotRO zone.

From everything I have seen, LotRO has always been the second fiddle to DDO, despite the fact that LotRO may have actually excelled had Turbine just sat on Siege of Mirkwood and not tried to compete with WoW:WotLK.