LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Almagnus1

Streamer "Awesomeness"

As we were derailing in the other thread, what are your favorite "awesome", gold star worthy, streaming moments that our community (and the SSG reps) have given us?

As I suggested it deserved it's own thread I felt compelled to contribute. For the vast majority of the output it's a case of shooting fish in a barrel, where to start? Some do know their limitations and don't profess to be the font of all wisdom. They accept they get motion sick on a war-stead or have disabilities that restrict their play and limits their experience of parts of the game yet qualify comments with that in mind.

My "Beef" is when they purport more than they know and have been given a platform and influence that actually harms the game.  The source stream had 4 views in 16 months, one of which was me. There were many on the live stream where a kite was the giveaway. The reward for watching through to the end.    

I suspect that this is a Valared character, possibly from the Super-fan Mordor package. I liken the valar 105 to giving a child a colt 45.

A review/update of my Dec 2017 Streamer Beef video that was made in reference to what makes for "compelling" content or exclusive SSG giveaways to buy followers?

A brief behind the scenes clue as to the why and how:

The whole Druidsfire stream... 3h 22 minutes and 37 seconds of it

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/211728151?filter=archives&sort=time

I can't watch video game streamers at all. They're often worse at the game than I am, I get annoyed that it's not me being able to pick and choose what's happening, and they're generally not particularly unique or charismatic individuals in the little camera box to make it any different. Obviously, the majority have seen how a lucky few are making easy-bucks from streaming, and think they can do the same, so there's always that hint of avarice behind it which puts me off as well.

Despite all that, more power to those unfortunates that are hitching their wagon to LotRO of all games. After all, it's a game where its own "official" streams from staff average 100 viewers.

Well I got a like and sub from Ramsay Bolton and I got to tell him he was a n00b without him taking offense :)

I'd welcome Pontin's critical comments... if it's the same as the official stream regular?

But Doro if you are having too much fun flying around on the LSs right now I'll understand but my video is a cut to the bone high(low)light that has to be seen to be believed.

1 hour ago, Macdui101 said:

But Doro if you are having too much fun flying around on the LSs right now I'll understand but my video is a cut to the bone high(low)light that has to be seen to be believed.

Okay, I gave it a watch and it was like nails on a chalkboard. I had to stop at the point where she keeps trying to pick up an item while she's got half a dozen mobs on her. If that's you providing commentary over the video, I have no idea how you sat through the whole thing.

Thanks for trying :) I know you won't get that time back.

Oh. You missed the 45 MC spent on rezzes for the night. I consider her an enemy of the game so it's beholden to "know your enemy". But I can skim through and find a nugget so easily. The hard part was scrolling through all the past streams to find the one I made my Orangenal Video (thank you Mr. Trump) about.

If I watched the Cord stream I might stay connected while I posted on the OF for a bit and Druidsfire streams after so I just happen to switch back and see her disastrous page gathering attempts. I made an attempt to offer advice in that stream, something few others do. Do they get a kick out of her struggles, know no better, have given up trying to help or just there for the chance of a freebie? In any event they just compound the problem.

One bit was priceless, the bravado after one rezz when she thought she could kill the remaining mob and seconds later overwhelmed, both in game and in her head.

Perhaps someone will start another gofundme campaign to buy a new car and house.  Lord knows they're the most deserving individuals on the planet.  If she were any more up Cord's ass she could tell him what he ate for breakfast.  She's also ban happy and shits on everyone that has any legitimate criticism.  Fuck me I'm a worthless pile of shit that contemplates cutting open a vein on the daily.  Maybe I should start streaming and get myself some self-esteem.  Fuck this game, and fuck anyone who still plays the damn thing.  it's not worth the hard drive space on a computer.

Mac, what in the hell did I just watch there? This woman has an official LotRO stream? Its a joke right? Tell me its a joke.

No Cry of Chorus. No tiering up Ballads. No Song of Distraction. No fear. No flop. No idea of a Minstrel AoE or single target skill. No poison removal. No awareness. No fucking clue how to play a Minstrel. Stands there and just dies. Again and again and then again. She should get banned just for existing.

On level, this shit was faceroll even before the Mordor nerf. I literally just ran in the place where the pages were and owned the place still using half a set of DA gear. Just rolled through like I had the title to the property. I'm still shaking my head some 7 hours after I watched this abomination of a video.

I don't watch live streams and rarely watch player made videos of LotRO, and I can say I am better for it. Beating my forehead with a ballpeen hammer would give me greater joy than watching Druidsfire play a Minstrel. I take this stupidity as an attack on my common sense. I almost don't want to believe, her and I exist in the same universe. I seen (truth here) a 10 year old girl play a Minstrel better. If I could take this (video) moment back I would in heartbeat. The class I choose to main a Minstrel. Stuck with it for near 12 years now. To think this person is allowed in some official capacity, to showcase this class and can't even manage the basics of the class, is beyond sad. What is worse is the general public who are interested in gaming might see this. Why SSG would tolerate an association of this nature, would surely have to know it can't promote the game in a good light. Or... Maybe its just that bad and these idiots don't know any different.

It is no wonder why this game has gotten shitty. If SSG caters to players like Druidsfire, I can now understand why no one with a clue bothers with LotRo anymore.

• Like 1

My main was a minstrel and just reading this leaves me incredulous.  Is there any chance that she never re-specced after the last time they reset traits? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warspeech said:

My main was a minstrel and just reading this leaves me incredulous.  Is there any chance that she never re-specced after the last time they reset traits? 

Why put forth effort when you can autoattack from start to finish and win?

11 hours ago, warspeech said:

The second 9 minute video shows 58/59 trait points allocated, in blue and red builds (cap was 88 or 89). We see the main weapon is not an LI and see the tree swap with no additional book LI swap. No hint of a gear swap in changing build either. To play Shelob's Advocate for a bit, I'm wondering if it's playing on an alt server where resources are slim in order to engage (so many other more appropriate words I should have used) with the Tolkien Professor. You have to be in close proximity to ingratiate. 

The dozen or so alts I have parked in crafting halls across Middle-earth because of the cap drudgery get the respect reminder at each login. She could not miss that! 

Btw I didn't even show the 20 odd minutes exploiting bugged mobs to get through another quest area unscathed. Just happy to stream it all on the official stream.

13 hours ago, Splay said:

Mac, what in the hell did I just watch there? This woman has an official LotRO stream? Its a joke right? Tell me its a joke.

No Cry of Chorus. No tiering up Ballads. No Song of Distraction. No fear. No flop. No idea of a Minstrel AoE or single target skill. No poison removal. No awareness. No fucking clue how to play a Minstrel. Stands there and just dies. Again and again and then again. She should get banned just for existing.

On level, this shit was faceroll even before the Mordor nerf. I literally just ran in the place where the pages were and owned the place still using half a set of DA gear. Just rolled through like I had the title to the property. I'm still shaking my head some 7 hours after I watched this abomination of a video.

I don't watch live streams and rarely watch player made videos of LotRO, and I can say I am better for it. Beating my forehead with a ballpeen hammer would give me greater joy than watching Druidsfire play a Minstrel. I take this stupidity as an attack on my common sense. I almost don't want to believe, her and I exist in the same universe. I seen (truth here) a 10 year old girl play a Minstrel better. If I could take this (video) moment back I would in heartbeat. The class I choose to main a Minstrel. Stuck with it for near 12 years now. To think this person is allowed in some official capacity, to showcase this class and can't even manage the basics of the class, is beyond sad. What is worse is the general public who are interested in gaming might see this. Why SSG would tolerate an association of this nature, would surely have to know it can't promote the game in a good light. Or... Maybe its just that bad and these idiots don't know any different.

It is no wonder why this game has gotten shitty. If SSG caters to players like Druidsfire, I can now understand why no one with a clue bothers with LotRo anymore.

The game is run by DDOers who don't have a clue what they are doing and listen to the likes of Druidsfire because she's constantly up their arses and boosting their egos. We point this stuff out and get banned.

The wonderfully generous Cordovan and SSG ply them with giveaways to raffle off to keep the greedy punters coming back for more.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:28 AM, Amenhir said:

Perhaps someone will start another gofundme campaign to buy a new car and house.  Lord knows they're the most deserving individuals on the planet.  If she were any more up Cord's ass she could tell him what he ate for breakfast.  She's also ban happy and shits on everyone that has any legitimate criticism.  Fuck me I'm a worthless pile of shit that contemplates cutting open a vein on the daily.  Maybe I should start streaming and get myself some self-esteem.  Fuck this game, and fuck anyone who still plays the damn thing.  it's not worth the hard drive space on a computer.

Yeah that new furnace funded by followers, unbelievable. Maybe the reason why people watch is that they are evil bastards waiting for the inevitable live breakdown when the self awareness hits. In retrospect she knows damn well and gets her jollies being perceived to have that power. 

Mac

i never watch anything streamed regarding Lotro because it just isn't interesting to watch.

here is the best example of large crowds in combat i can find, that whilst not looking great, doesn't look complete shite:

can anyone find better than the above that isn't a complete lag fest?

for crowds, this is as good as you'll ever get & as long as you don't pay close attention, you'll never see the lag, bad animations and just generally poor controls and interface.  it looks old, the movement is jittery, etc.

here is one that actually show a smaller group in co-ordination and as above, it is about the best you'll find.  again if anyone can find better, please link, because i simply can't come across anything that is basically the same, or worse...

and lastly here is someone who knows how to use a rune-keeper all alone and doesn't completely suck:

here is the thing about the above...  even the good, does not shed a positive light on Lotro, because the game is just soooooooooooooooooooooo far behind the performance curve & inevitably and unavoidably, so are the better players because of it.

if Lotro is the only thing you play, you will rust out.

& even if somehow folk manage to find better examples of large crowds in combat...  co-ordinated fights...   or even soloing a class and not sucking...  it will likely still be boring to watch.  that is 100% the fault of the age of the game and issues that persist with performance.  the animations are stiff & even on a video that isn't a lag-fest...  jittery & not smooth.  all movement looks like a mass struggle.  game is about as inelegant as it gets.

so whilst we can lampoon the sad  state of forward facing elements of the game not really having any useful information and being terrible in general.  even the better players that don't suck...  also kinda fail.

i think most have come to grips with that and moved on to games that can highlight functional game-play.

it is also largely why Infinite Crisis failed so hard.  the tech & systems at the foundation are just soo easily outclassed.  they could never get out from under the weight of their own failings.

Lotro is a legacy game.  it should have a legacy price & perhaps more would play it for the novelty.  but i think it is well past the day of looking like a prime example of cutting edge game-play.

but if they have found someone who will use 45 mithril coins a night just for rezzes...  maybe that is the arrangement they are after.  ;)

5 minutes ago, LasraelLarson said:

but if they have found someone who will use 45 mithril coins a night just for rezzes...  maybe that is the arrangement they are after.  ;)

This is the rub of it. They recently re-opened the winter festival on the servers, which gave a lot of people a laugh. So blatant is their lack of content for the casuals that they have to recycle more and more often. However, I repeatedly saw people asking for people to actually turn up for things like snowball fights or that weird theatre thing. I thought fuck it, I'll go have a butcher's. No layering mechanic needed, it was really, really dead. There's more people sitting AFK in 21st Hall than there is doing the festival. There's round the clock runs of Turtle, despite raiders being a small percentage of the player-base. Yet the festival doesn't get a lot of interest? Heavily suggestive that the majority don't do festivals, and yet it's the flowerpickers who keep getting changes and additions made for them. Precisely because they're the sorts of plebs who would use 45 mithril coins a night on rezzes. The whales (and I don't mean that about any particular streamer's weight) are the ones still funding the game, despite their small numbers. They're the only ones who need to be kept happy, and seemingly it doesn't take fucking much.

But hey, if they're happy, good luck to them... the crayon-eating little bastards.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Doro said:

The whales (and I don't mean that about any particular streamer's weight) are the ones still funding the game, despite their small numbers.

heh.

well it is a hell-ova-lot cheaper than building new systems, which frankly they no longer possess the talent for.  a new game engine and client are about the biggest ticket items out there.

adding a functioning about face control that would even work well on the existing tech (or any meaningful performance enhancements) without actually having tech at the base to handle...  they don't actually have much choice.  reuse/rehash till they are blue in the face, because the other option if they can't suck funds out of this thing is likely to shut down.

that is the rub for me... the prices they charge for what is actually offered.  if they find folk to pay, for re-heated yesteryear's items,  i guess it will drag on.

but tracking is still showing all time lows...

https://steamcharts.com/app/212500#All

good luck indeed. ;)

On 4/16/2019 at 1:28 AM, Amenhir said:

Perhaps someone will start another gofundme campaign to buy a new car and house. 

is that how they pay for all the food and mithril coins?  🤑

I only do the anniversary festival, just to top up on star-lits and essence reclamation scrolls, you know, being proactive. But the majority of toons I see being cycled through have that default character portrait which would denote a free to play char more than anything else. It wouldn't suggest you have many dumping cash on the game, they are just grinding out coin for cosmetics and pets. It might show why the LS you are on Doro being vip hasn't the festival goers.

All the festivals do is get people used to grinding for stuff, seems like a crazy thing to develop when it's not going to generate revenue. I guess Turbine/SSG always preferred devotion over cash.

The huge PvMP battle was pre datacentre move and the 64-bit server compilation that slowed the game down. Something about the new OS just could not match the speed of the old one, no going back.  That's what you get with a LARPer in charge of a datacentre split (EU/US) and server merge that was dead in it's tracks from day one. It's always been about trying to save face with Turbine and continues big time with SSG.  Why no one could have told her the datasets were incompatible before any announcement suggests they don't communicate internally either.

My cynical nature had me take the sarcastic route for finding fodder for the thread. It is good to see some play excellence from the games' past.

8 hours ago, Doro said:

If this is the same person, it looks like they use other people's charity to avoid having to pay for basic maintenance of a house.

https://www.druidsfire.com/gratitude-and-accountability/

This goes beyond sad and into deranged. Kind of explains the infommercials that she “writes” for MMO Central. I sincerely hope that she’s on SSG’s payroll.

Lotro streamers were downright dangerous for the game.  There have been a couple that made an effort to improve their play, but the level of outright wrong information being disseminated is why I completely stopped watching them.  You can only watch someone grind through a level 30 hobbit minstrel so many times.  There was zero attempt by any of them to grow the viewership as it's the same 20 or so people watching everyday that shit on anyone with a differing opinion.  God forbid you ask to see any end game or pvp content.  You bring that up and you'd think you just took a dump in someone's shoe.

A typical interaction goes something like this.

"Hey (insert streamer name), could you show me your build for raiding, I really want to get into raiding, but I'm not sure what I should be working on first?"

Typical suck ass chimes in...

"I don't care about raiding or pvp."

The person asking the original question then says something to the effect of "I wasn't asking you."

That is followed with "You've been timed out for (insert bullshit rule)"

I'm not going to even touch what goes on during a Cord stream.  Some of those people could probably suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

PS, Mac your voice is epic.  I never thought I'd get to hear a Bond villain critique a Lotro streamer.

Clips and video I watched in the past that kept my attention have things in common.

A good voice is the most important one.

An appearance that doesn't spark ewww.

Clarity, concision, and the ability to stay focused.

Not including serious face material, a good sense of humor.

Knowing their source material.

Explaining things in a way which doesn't make the viewer think they aren't being talked down to.

Some years ago I watched a person who made videos for GTA. Name was Louie-something. The guy has a good voice. He knew what he was doing in GTA and was quite good at it. I found his videos informative and interesting. He stayed on track. He made watching his videos fun. If I were to ever play any version of GTA, this guy would be the biggest reason. Outside of the games appeal itself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amenhir said:

PS, Mac your voice is epic.  I never thought I'd get to hear a Bond villain critique a Lotro streamer.

However I'm not the ego maniac stroking the pussy...

At many points words actually fail me seeing this official streamer output.

3 hours ago, Splay said:

Clips and video I watched in the past that kept my attention have things in common.

Explaining things in a way which doesn't make the viewer think they aren't being talked down to.

Some years ago I watched a person who made videos for GTA. Name was Louie-something. The guy has a good voice. He knew what he was doing in GTA and was quite good at it. I found his videos informative and interesting. He stayed on track. He made watching his videos fun. If I were to ever play any version of GTA, this guy would be the biggest reason. Outside of the games appeal itself.

I started making videos when I discovered I could get the graphics card to do all the work rather my elderly PC and third party software and to document some of the more egregious dev ideas. I really don't come from the same mindset these streamer have. Cord never got my humour, banned me.

Now this Louie guy might be great at GTA, he and his followers might be saying that during every stream and give the impression of competence. It's likely he is. But that's what is on offer with the official streams, beguiling the uninitiated into playing a distorted rose tinted travesty of Lotro.  Lambs to the slaughter when they find themselves in an on level group or dare to reach end game. What type of individual could this output hook, people who just are incapable of doing an MMORPG justice.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:26 AM, Doro said:

This is the rub of it. They recently re-opened the winter festival on the servers, which gave a lot of people a laugh. So blatant is their lack of content for the casuals that they have to recycle more and more often. However, I repeatedly saw people asking for people to actually turn up for things like snowball fights or that weird theatre thing. I thought fuck it, I'll go have a butcher's. No layering mechanic needed, it was really, really dead. There's more people sitting AFK in 21st Hall than there is doing the festival. There's round the clock runs of Turtle, despite raiders being a small percentage of the player-base. Yet the festival doesn't get a lot of interest? Heavily suggestive that the majority don't do festivals, and yet it's the flowerpickers who keep getting changes and additions made for them. Precisely because they're the sorts of plebs who would use 45 mithril coins a night on rezzes. The whales (and I don't mean that about any particular streamer's weight) are the ones still funding the game, despite their small numbers. They're the only ones who need to be kept happy, and seemingly it doesn't take fucking much.

But hey, if they're happy, good luck to them... the crayon-eating little bastards.

Well that is exactly like the 2 years Lotro catered specific to only the music and rp groups.  We got tons of stuff added for them (stages all across Middle Earth anyone) that are not even used.  But hey, they were kissing major ass at the time and dropping tons of $$$ on everything in the store.

Case in point, we had a rp advocate on the player council (which I know was a waste) but, during that a discussion an actual discussion with developers came up about open world pvmp in Angmar and Forochel on select event weekends.  Most of us were like wow this will be amazing.  You can have the warning at the zone entrances ect.  One... yes ONE rp advocate started her shit about farming ore nodes and that she should not be forced into a pvmp area if she... wait for it.... chose to farm the wood or ore there that weekend.  When pointed out that you can farm those mats elsewhere, she went on about being able to quest.  When pointed out it would onl;y be for a select weekend here and there, she literally threw a fit and threatened to have her kin (the ones who host weatherstock) quit Lotro, the devs stopped the discussion.  So, to this day, it leaves a salty taste in my mouth that 1 player was able to outweigh most of us because of her kin alliance with the music / rp group and the actual paying pvmp crowd (who have to pay to play) got completely ignored.  That is when my whole opinion of this game turned to shit. On another note, we also had players on the PC who told Sapience "We dont need a tp stipend" yet were the first to take a free trip to Boston.  Again, only a few.... all the ass kissers.  

On 4/17/2019 at 12:01 PM, Doro said:

If this is the same person, it looks like they use other people's charity to avoid having to pay for basic maintenance of a house.

https://www.druidsfire.com/gratitude-and-accountability/

why work when you can sit home, play Lotro and sucker other people out of money

6 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Lotro streamers were downright dangerous for the game.  There have been a couple that made an effort to improve their play, but the level of outright wrong information being disseminated is why I completely stopped watching them.  You can only watch someone grind through a level 30 hobbit minstrel so many times.  There was zero attempt by any of them to grow the viewership as it's the same 20 or so people watching everyday that shit on anyone with a differing opinion.  God forbid you ask to see any end game or pvp content.  You bring that up and you'd think you just took a dump in someone's shoe.

A typical interaction goes something like this.

"Hey (insert streamer name), could you show me your build for raiding, I really want to get into raiding, but I'm not sure what I should be working on first?"

Typical suck ass chimes in...

"I don't care about raiding or pvp."

The person asking the original question then says something to the effect of "I wasn't asking you."

That is followed with "You've been timed out for (insert bullshit rule)"

I'm not going to even touch what goes on during a Cord stream.  Some of those people could probably suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

I have been muted on Cords streams multiple times by those streamers whom he had mod the official stream.  Yeah that shows the incompitance of SSG that the official stream is modded by players and not an actual employee, so of course it is easily abused.  When I bought this up on the forums a few months back, Cord literally attacked me and called me a liar in so many words, that I was never muted.  Of course the thread was closed before I could post the screencaps of it.  That is when Cord began his witch hunt against me.  I called out his "gang" and it offended him.  It lead to my ban.  Shows who really pulls the strings at SSG.    Oh and btw, I was attacked by one of those mods in the official anniversary stream because my name won a rng roll for a prize and they literally told me they were not going to award it because I called them out on the forums. They gave me the prize (a ghost bear code) but once again left me salty as shit.  

It is sad that after years of dedication and love for the game, I look at the icon in my games folder (yeah moved it off the desktop for more relevant shit) that it gives me a salty hateful feeling looking at it.  

5 hours ago, Splay said:

I am the same way with certain streamers.  When I decide to invest in a game, I do watch a few streams and check them out.  If streamers seem like assholes or seem like they dont know what they are doing, that reflects on the community for me and pushes me away from the game.

Case in point, we had a rp advocate on the player council (which I know was a waste) but, during that a discussion an actual discussion with developers came up about open world pvmp in Angmar and Forochel on select event weekends.  Most of us were like wow this will be amazing.  You can have the warning at the zone entrances ect.  One... yes ONE rp advocate started her shit about farming ore nodes and that she should not be forced into a pvmp area if she... wait for it.... chose to farm the wood or ore there that weekend.  When pointed out that you can farm those mats elsewhere, she went on about being able to quest.  When pointed out it would onl;y be for a select weekend here and there, she literally threw a fit and threatened to have her kin (the ones who host weatherstock) quit Lotro, the devs stopped the discussion.  So, to this day, it leaves a salty taste in my mouth that 1 player was able to outweigh most of us because of her kin alliance with the music / rp group and the actual paying pvmp crowd (who have to pay to play) got completely ignored.  That is when my whole opinion of this game turned to shit. On another note, we also had players on the PC who told Sapience "We dont need a tp stipend" yet were the first to take a free trip to Boston.  Again, only a few.... all the ass kissers. 

I was wondering about that, as I had a run in with the host when they tried to pull the "we're going for a world record" stunt, and I basically called them out for the PR stunt as they were not able to disclose how they were going to count the numbers, nor provide the script that did so - which ultimately led to their retraction of that particular advertising angle.  The irony was that I was (at the time) interested in how they were doing the counting and wanted to know how it worked... yet didn't realize that I had accidentally called their bluff.

From that point forward, the RP crowd hated me.

4 hours ago, TheKickman said:

Well that is exactly like the 2 years Lotro catered specific to only the music and rp groups.  We got tons of stuff added for them (stages all across Middle Earth anyone) that are not even used.  But hey, they were kissing major ass at the time and dropping tons of $$$ on everything in the store.

Well that is surely an empty threat. There is no way these musicians would quit. The one you speak of may have unfurled a boycott banner but not long after would have stood alone. One thing I learned about the social structure of MMOs is, it is always temporary. Alliances last as long as good pizza. Once the pizza is consumed gamers are looking for the next free slice. Also there are plenty of others who would fill the empty niche. Some, because it was there to be filled. Others, to fill it to gain sway while unseating others. The power struggle is always prevalent and as soon as one duckling turns the wrong direction the other ducklings quack. Why? Because ducklings want to be ducklings and if their mother duck doesn't want to stay at the head, the ducklings quickly look for a new lead to follow. As an aside, I don't know any other game these musicians could have migrated to. To me, this was empty threats all the way down.

Had I been a Dev at Turbine, in that day, I would have called their bluff and watched them quack. To think Turbine fell on their face by one in opposition, where in time, cost Turbine/SSG thousands of players and millions in revenue. Another contributing factor why LotRO PvMP is shit.