LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Almagnus1

Should LotRO Drop the Mac and x86 clients?

So assuming the x64 client can ever get to a point that it's on par featurewise with the x86 client, should SSG drop support for the x86 and Mac clients so they can refocus their dev efforts on a single client?

As a PC user I'd thought the Mac users had their own native build, 'til recently.  I hadn't appreciated it was the same pc client with an added layer in between. I get the feeling they don't want the headache going forward but the IP has brought in loads of non traditional gamers with their Macs. By many accounts they haven't been supporting the Mac users so much for a while now.

I haven't had any issue with the 64-bit client, no backward step noticed yet. But hasn't been the panacea some were hoping for but has got some peeps not crashing so much.    

Maybe I've been playing it at off peak times but I think the Lua not being supported maybe has scared off peeps from testing, like they are so reliant on the add-ons they can't play without them.  I have kept the extras to a minimum so I just have to drag some pots onto the hot bar and read the combat log to make do.

I actually don't think they will be using much in the way of resources to keep the X86 and Mac supported. Are they going to rely on the WINE devs to "support" Mac specific issues now?

I'm half wondering what happens when someone with a 32-bit format drive tries to load and run the 64-bit client?

1 hour ago, Macdui101 said:

I'm half wondering what happens when someone with a 32-bit format drive tries to load and run the 64-bit client?

With Windows, if you're on an x64 install, the x64 LotRO client is actually a native application, and there's a compatibility layer (WoW or Windows on Windows) that treats the x86 code like how Windows treats Linux code:  It uses a subsystem that interacts with the x64 Windows, but to the app, it thinks it's the native environment.  That's how the Windows Linux Subsystem works (which can be enabled through Windows features and you download a distro from the Microsoft Store).  The Linux subsystem works really well, however, you should not use anything in your home directory as if it gets an update, everything in the home directory gets lost because the subsystem is actually a UWP that provides the Microsoft signed binaries that Windows will use when it detects that you're trying to run a Linux app.

On x86 Windows, they don't have the x64 binaries (and usually the x64 hardware), so any x64 application will not work.

Really though, if you're on a x86 copy of Windows, you should upgrade before Microsoft stops supporting you.

I only mentioned it because a number of people on the OFs have run the launcher and not gotten any further.  

32 minutes ago, Macdui101 said:

I only mentioned it because a number of people on the OFs have run the launcher and not gotten any further.  

I suspect that a number of people on the OF are still running XP, Vista, and x86 versions of Windows.

At this point, if you're not on either 8.1 x64 or 10 x64, you really need to upgrade.

And no, a Mac isn't an upgrade nor a gaming computer.