LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Altreg01

This is gonna hurt SSG

About damn time someone in the US started legislation like that.

You think this will cause the collapse of mobile gaming?

From the article (emphasis mine):

Hawley's Protecting Children from Abusive Games Act would prohibit games geared toward children from implementing features that prompt users to pay real-world money to advance in the game, called "pay-to-win," or receive rewards at random for a fee, called "loot boxes."

I doubt this law will affect LOTRO of DDO, since Daybreak's terms of service specifically require a person to be 18 to play. From the ToS (emphasis mine):

ACCEPTANCE

...You must be at least 18 years of age or have reached the age of majority under the applicable laws of the place where you reside or, if you are not, you must obtain parental or guardian consent to access and/or use any of the Daybreak Games. By accessing and/or using any of the Daybreak Games, you affirm that you are at least 18 years of age or have reached the age of majority under the applicable laws of the place where you reside or, if you are not, that you have obtained parental or guardian consent to enter into the Daybreak Terms of Service, Daybreak Privacy Policy and Daybreak End User License Agreement. If you are not of legal age to enter into the Daybreak Terms of Service, Daybreak Privacy Policy and Daybreak End User License Agreement or have not obtained parental or guardian consent to enter into the Daybreak Terms of Service, Daybreak Privacy Policy and Daybreak End User License Agreement, then you may not access and/or use any of the Daybreak Games and/or any part thereof...

https://www.daybreakgames.com/terms-of-service

SSG/Daybreak would have to start enforcing the ToS, though.

None of this will change anything. MMO's and other similar platforms will still manipulate the player and the players will still play regardless of age. Any law passed without consequence backed by money to enforce it, is just empty words.

well, it is good news, or it will prohibit selling most games to <18 or it will force game-makers to go back to the old design-days

proposed legislation...

and Josh is Republican, so by default Dems will accuse some nefarious Russian plot and stonewall.

this isn't the first time this has been bounced as potential new legislation.  & until the first precedent is set...  and just whom the litigation is against...  or the depth of their pockets...  very early to be counting the chickens on this one.

nice if it happens, but we are still at the "IF" stage.

9 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

proposed legislation...

and Josh is Republican, so by default Dems will accuse some nefarious Russian plot and stonewall.

this isn't the first time this has been bounced as potential new legislation.  & until the first precedent is set...  and just whom the litigation is against...  or the depth of their pockets...  very early to be counting the chickens on this one.

nice if it happens, but we are still at the "IF" stage.

You've got your wires crossed.  If it entails any kind of cooperate oversight or regulation, it's the republicans who will knock it down.  Dems would surely support something like this.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

You've got your wires crossed.  If it entails any kind of cooperate oversight or regulation, it's the republicans who will knock it down.  Dems would surely support something like this.

Honestly, they're both a bunch of whiny brats, so I'm not sure we'd see cooperation before the kids involved would be old enough to vote.

1 hour ago, Almagnus1 said:

Honestly, they're both a bunch of whiny brats, so I'm not sure we'd see cooperation before the kids involved would be old enough to vote.

Sadly this is all too true.

Anyone know which are the Greys and which are the Reptiles? Knowing wont get me to vote but might help direct jokes at them.

5 hours ago, Splay said:

Sadly this is all too true.

Anyone know which are the Greys and which are the Reptiles? Knowing wont get me to vote but might help direct jokes at them.

I think they're all Grey Reptiles tbh.

13 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

indeed the charade does occupy ALL of them to the point of getting nothing done...

which is why this is still an "IF" and we aren't entirely sure what that "IF" is...  nor will we be until the first precedent is set by actual litigation.

*shrug*