LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Almagnus1

Captain Build Advice

So, as I finally loaded up the x64 client and saw that I am level 100, but need to completely redo the class points and virtues (virtues are all at least rank 50).  I'm looking at the gear, and while it's incomplete (as I had hit Dol Amroth and said "Screw it" with the essence gear and basically stopped caring), The LIs are halfway decent (both 100 first ages), if only missing scrolls of empowerment.

So, going with a LtC/HoH build, is there any advice other than "paint the tree red, then dump points into HoH"?

As I have 20k TP that I have no clue what to do with (already bought Mordor), there any way I can cheese out my char with the store?

Any advice on the LIs?  Is it worth constructing level 120 LIs?

There are no level 120 LIs. At level 100, it's expected that you should imbue your LI. You might look at lotro-wiki for how this will affect your legacies.

Save your scrolls and crystals for after imbuing the item,.

36 minutes ago, Talisman said:

There are no level 120 LIs. At level 100, it's expected that you should imbue your LI. You might look at lotro-wiki for how this will affect your legacies.

Save your scrolls and crystals for after imbuing the item,.

The emblem is imbued, the weapon is not.  Weapon has 7 legacies, 3 stars, and is a 100 FA LI.  I'm still trying to figure out if what I've got actually makes sense, or if the game difficulty is so easy these days that as long as it's in the ballpark, I should be fine.

What about the other stuff?

I think that it's worth getting your main items up to max. The difficulty of landscape mobs takes a big jump in Mordor (although it settles back down when you get into the Dale Lands. I don't know if they rebalanced Mordor since I took my first character through there.

You can use MC to swap and upgrade imbued legacies, including the DPS of the weapon or the main stat on the Class Item. Launch the Legendary Item panel (shift-I) and

• To replace a legacy, click on the MC button at the right of the legacy, above the current/max tier numbers to buy the upgrades.
  • To swap a legacy (just to see what is available), click on the Replace Legacy button at the bottom of the panel to swap legacies.

If you don't want to use MC, you can also buy scrolls and crystals in the store, including:

• Legacy Replacement scrolls (there are different scrolls for non-imbued and imbued items).
  • Additional Legacy Slots (Crystal of Remembrance).
  • Legacy Tier Upgrades (Scrolls of Empowerment).
  • Legendary Level Cap Increases (Scrolls of Delving).
  • Legendary Item stat upgrades (Star-lit Crystals).

Why they didn't keep the names consistent is beyond me.

BTW, you cannot imbue bridles.

You are looking at 25500 LP to max out an ILI using store bought Mithril Coins, That's $200 worth of LP.

Buying the Store LI Scrolls and Stat upgrades is vastly more expensive, even when on sale. Buy MC on sale instead.

Slot levelling LIs in all spare LI slots to decon at level 60 for the IXP pills (heritage ruins). ILIs need a ton of them. You can make big advances on the ILI with just IXP before you need more scrolls.

You should grind out the Minas Tirith content to open the dailies, they are the most efficient for obtaining, a regular non-RNG method, Scrolls of Empowerment.

You will meet an NPC call Lord Forlong "the Fat in a bar in MT. He has a torturous questline that had to be completed at release to complete the quest meta and open the dailies. There are enough quests now in MT to avoid all his quests. Do so for your sanity.

You will have to get use to getting rep accelerators from the skirmish camp Curiosity Vendor. Going through content only gets you half way to kindred these days. If you want the goodies at the end of the quest lines you will need that rep.

GL

Mac 

Anyone know what crit, tact/phys mitigation, crit defence, and resistence thresholds I should be aiming at?

Am I overthinking this because I'm basically gonna outlevel everything as SSG shot a quiver into the difficulty curve's knee?

17 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

You are looking at 25500 LP to max out an ILI using store bought Mithril Coins, That's $200 worth of LP.

Buying the Store LI Scrolls and Stat upgrades is vastly more expensive, even when on sale. Buy MC on sale instead.

I'm probably not going to go this route, at least, not until the LIs are within a rank of cap for the legacies - which is going to take a while especially since...

Slot levelling LIs in all spare LI slots to decon at level 60 for the IXP pills (heritage ruins). ILIs need a ton of them. You can make big advances on the ILI with just IXP before you need more scrolls.

I was actually doing this before I left several years ago, so I have a full complement of LIs, with the two imbued LIs, and level 80 bridle that needs an upgrade >.>

From what I recall, this was done primarily to farm out legacies and relics as I recall needing a lot of relics to meld decent relics.

You should grind out the Minas Tirith content to open the dailies, they are the most efficient for obtaining, a regular non-RNG method, Scrolls of Empowerment.

You will meet an NPC call Lord Forlong "the Fat in a bar in MT. He has a torturous questline that had to be completed at release to complete the quest meta and open the dailies. There are enough quests now in MT to avoid all his quests. Do so for your sanity.

I'm working on MT right now, with the approach of completing everything on the current and prior rings before moving up, after doing an initial sightseeing pass and grabbing quests

You will have to get use to getting rep accelerators from the skirmish camp Curiosity Vendor. Going through content only gets you half way to kindred these days. If you want the goodies at the end of the quest lines you will need that rep.

I'm actually using the store for rep accelerators at the moment, and not any of the LI support stuff as I learned last night that I still have a fair amount of that stuff left in the vault.  I'd rather not burn through the TP I have for not playing in forever (hooray for a lifetime sub) on frivolous things, but getting kindred by questing would definitely be a good thing as I have kindred with almost all of the factions up to Minas Tirith (all but about 5 or so).  I'll see how I'm feeling about continuing after I get through MT, assuming that FFXIV:Shadowbringers, Warframe, and/or WoW:Classic don't derail me first.

I don't like to mention that MT has rep levels greater than Kindred, not sure how rep that high effects your character though.

With loads of IXP pills and being over level then you can get functioning ILIs without adding scrolls. Without Anfalas Starlit Crystals I'd pump the weapon stat a bit using MC once imbued 

53 minutes ago, Macdui101 said:

I don't like to mention that MT has rep levels greater than Kindred, not sure how rep that high effects your character though.

I believe that the Defenders of Minas Tirith was the first "real" faction to have rep tiers above Kindred (Respected, Honoured, and Celebrated). The Crafting Guilds were the first to introduce the concept, though, when the Westfold crafting tier was added in Riders of Rohan, and a corresponding 5th tier of rep was needed for for the guild recipes.

The Host of the West and Conquest of Gorgoroth factions also have 3 additional tiers above Kindred (though for the Host, the second-to-last tier is Esteemed instead of Honoured), and the Dwarves of Erebor faction has one additional tier.

I haven't heard anything about what the max tier is for the Wilderfolk faction in the Vales of Anduin.

So after imbueing (and fixing) the halberd, and having the first batch of 7 LIs finally hit 60 as I had left them past 50, I now have an LI that feels like it's hitting hard - like I'm back at the power level where I can do stupid stuff again and be fine.  I'm remembering how easy it was to cheese out LotRO, as the LI legacies hit the halfway point, I felt like I was back to the familiar power level of being the usually well geared captain.... which means I'll be able to easily tear through the landscape.

So, how on earth do I get the star lit crystals needed to improve the DPS?

39 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

So after imbueing (and fixing) the halberd, and having the first batch of 7 LIs finally hit 60 as I had left them past 50, I now have an LI that feels like it's hitting hard - like I'm back at the power level where I can do stupid stuff again and be fine.  I'm remembering how easy it was to cheese out LotRO, as the LI legacies hit the halfway point, I felt like I was back to the familiar power level of being the usually well geared captain.... which means I'll be able to easily tear through the landscape.

I think Star-lits are either rare random drops from certain instances, or (obviously) bought from the Store, but I can't be certain with post-RoR content.

3 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Ooh sweet summer child...  brace yourself.

Star of Merit from BB's can be bartered for..  or you can grind festival tokens and barter for...  (run the Hobbit and Dwarf League deliveries there) & i think they still drop in group instanced content past a certain level, but there it is random loot, you will be rolling on with the folk you are running with.

or convert Lotro Points into Mithril Coins and just buy them from the store interface on the LI panel.

best of luck my future Queen, (Sansa) the road ahead will be a rough one.  ;)

Yeah, the more I look at the LI grind, the more I'm wondering what they were thinking as I'm not seeing any catch up mechanics on it.

Honestly, I don't think we would have minded this if the imbuement happened at, say, 60 in Moria rather than at 100 in Gondor.  That said, I'm kinda looking at the legacy servers going "you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into" as the LIs need to be created at 60, 65, 75, 85, 95, and 100 IIRC, so people are definitely going to hate themselves after a fashion there.

Players are starting to grumble about the grind for empowerment scrolls and star-lit crystals. I know several people who had multiple toons at level cap (many had at least one of each class), but are now only leveling only one or two toons at most because the grinds - essences, reputation, LIs, and now virtues - have made it nearly impossible to maintain alts.

You can't use MC to tier up non Imbued LIs, only appears on the UI after imbuement.

If you buy from the store they are a flat rate for use at any level that cost more than your grandmother is worth. Even on sale they are plain extortion.

The 3 starlits that you can add on LIs don't make a whole lot of difference. After Imbuement a huge difference ofc.

If the content you are doing is rewarding you with Marks and Medallions then you can go the Legendary Barter guy in the Skirmish Camp and barter LI stuff from there, reasonable costs if you have the marks/Meds coming in.

17 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

or convert Lotro Points into Mithril Coins and just buy them from the store interface on the LI panel.

I'm going to do this for the LI DPS legacy, as the rest won't matter as much IMO, and I can throw whatever I find at them.

2 hours ago, Talisman said:

Players are starting to grumble about the grind for empowerment scrolls and star-lit crystals. I know several people who had multiple toons at level cap (many had at least one of each class), but are now only leveling only one or two toons at most because the grinds - essences, reputation, LIs, and now virtues - have made it nearly impossible to maintain alts.

I was wondering when that'd be a problem for the original playerbase.

That's what really killed it for me at DA, as I started realizing how much time and effort it would take to regear myself as the last time I really put forth the effort was with Wildemore before everything basically fell apart.

2 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

If the content you are doing is rewarding you with Marks and Medallions then you can go the Legendary Barter guy in the Skirmish Camp and barter LI stuff from there, reasonable costs if you have the marks/Meds coming in.

I'm going to check this when i get back on, but I'm not sure how much skirmish currency i'll get from landscape quests.

7 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

I'm going to do this for the LI DPS legacy, as the rest won't matter as much IMO, and I can throw whatever I find at them.

if you plan to imbue?  the 3 pre-imbue Star-lit limit becomes insignificant when post you'll be adding (at the moment, i think it is an additional) 36(?) more...  if your weapon is maxed out prior to imbue anyway.

& when they raise the level cap in the potential next expansion...  ;)

that surplus of LP doesn't seem quite as much now, i'll bet?  ;)

*i'll hint again to the Hobbit & Dwarf League deliveries, which can be done once a day during most festivals & award Badges of Taste (Hobbits) or Badges of Dishonor (Dwarves) which can be bartered for festival tokens of choice.  these runs take under an hour & can net one ( & some days two crystals, depending on the festival) for that hours effort.  an alternative to blowing your LP bank on just LI's.

I do Anniversary and Summer festival. That keeps me in bound Star-lit Crystals on mains and alt mains. All the crafter alts do them too and earn a load of unbound Essence reclamation scrolls. The last grind is MT dailies for Smith Token to barter, when I need them, for Empowerments. Only do this in slack times between content updates when there's nothing much to do. I wouldn't want to have to store them with stacks of only 10. It does mean I will check beta for any change to the barter guy for scroll availability.

This all feeds my 4 capped main chars three parked cap toons and allows me to max 27 ILIs on patch day if there's a LI raise. I do have an alt cook at level 69 that I might level up so she is collecting the Anfalas Star-lit Crystals in case I do. 

Most of the issues people have with the grind of it all is they come to it completely ill-prepared.  That many came to the LSs to avoid all this I can't see them changing into a prepper.

I do think SSG have been scarred off raising the LI cap recently. It meant I got way ahead on the scrolls barter coin so I had a month of selling scrolls on the AH and brought the finances up to a healthy level to mitigate against the next cock up, which seems to be rimes for the Vales content.

6 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

if you plan to imbue?  the 3 pre-imbue Star-lit limit becomes insignificant when post you'll be adding (at the moment, i think it is an additional) 36(?) more...  if your weapon is maxed out prior to imbue anyway.

& when they raise the level cap in the potential next expansion...  ;)

As I was sitting on a 100 FA LI, I imbued it, then threw coins at the DPS legacy (and then the emblem healing legacy) because

that surplus of LP doesn't seem quite as much now, i'll bet?  ;)

Yeah, because the amount of materials that an LI needs to get maxed out is completely and totally absurd.

*i'll hint again to the Hobbit & Dwarf League deliveries, which can be done once a day during most festivals & award Badges of Taste (Hobbits) or Badges of Dishonor (Dwarves) which can be bartered for festival tokens of choice.  these runs take under an hour & can net one ( & some days two crystals, depending on the festival) for that hours effort.  an alternative to blowing your LP bank on just LI's.

Which is kinda bad design for the festivals, especially since I've gotten used to the fun things that are FFXIV's seasonal events (do an entertaining quest chain, and maybe complete an objective like a jumping puzzle, or something fun like that to get other festival rewards) - I've forgotten how much of a grind fest some of the LotRO and DDO festivals were.  The irony is that we used to joke at how bad the Asian MMOs were for grinding, and from what I have seen thus far, FFXIV's endgame grind looks like a complete walk in the park compared to the LotRO grindfest, as even in that grind it's still possible to reasonably gear out two classes from different gear pools if you're raiding and planning things out.

6 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

Most of the issues people have with the grind of it all is they come to it completely ill-prepared.  That many came to the LSs to avoid all this I can't see them changing into a prepper.

There's also no catch up mechanics, so if you ever take a break and come back to it, you've got to do the entire grind - which means I'm looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 180 scrolls of empowerment and 30 starlits per LI just to go from new Imbue to capped out.

Hopefully this doesn't merge with the rest, but here's an update on part of the build I'm going to run as LtC:

• Traits - tree planner won't generate a link soo..... >=(
    • Max everything in LtC except:
      • Heightened Allies 1/2 (it was the spare point)
      • Restraint 0/4 (Captains haven't had power issues for a long, long time)
      • Standard of War 4/5 (I prefer ground targeting)
    • HoH Traits:
      • Reversal 2/2
      • Skilled Hands 3/3
      • Blood of Numenor 3/3
      • Revealing Mark 1/1
      • Dignified Spectacle 3/4
      • Rousing Cry 3/3
      • Astute hands 6/6
      • Courageous Convocation 1/1
  • Virtues:
    • Discipline
    • Fidelity
    • Honour
    • Innocence
    • Tolerance
  • Racials (included for completeness as most of these really don't matter that much):
    • Tactics and Might Bonus
    • Man Sword-damage Bonus
    • Duty-bound
    • Balance of Man
    • Strength of Morale
  • Weapon LI legacies
    • Bleed Damage
    • Cutting Attack Damage
    • Inpsire Damage
    • Grave Wound Damage
    • Battle-Readied Damage Buff
    • Blade of Elendil Damage
    • Melee Skills Critical Damage
  • Emblem LI Legacies
    • Shadow's Lament Damage
    • Light-type Damage
    • Bleed Skills Critical Damage
    • Healing Critical magnitude
    • Sure Strike Damage
    • Devastating Blow and Pressing Attack Damage
    • Time of Need Buff Duration

IMO Turbine/SSG really shot themselves in the foot with the trait trees, as giving players more and more points means (as time progresses) we're eventually going to fill up that entire tree.

Either way, from researching into the stats, it looks like Might/Fate/Vit are the primaries I want to focus on, so what I'm wondering is what's the best way to min/max the essences so that I end up with near cap physical mitigation, tactical mitigation, crit defence, crit rating, and resistence?

Edit:
Also, where should I be planning on acquiring relics from?

Is Beleriand + Dead still the best weapon title?

Is Light Damage still the best for the emblem title?

What was the last level of stuff for Mounted Combat?

One other thing I'm seeing, it looks like almost all of the relics that I'd use (ie: 115 or 120) are from barter/instance sources, and not from shards.  If so, would it make sense to shard all the relics that I have and then cash out however many SoEs that is?

The shard cost is extreme though. It takes a lot of gold to meld, is it the same for sharding? You never know, one day we might get to chance to make useful relics again from these stock piles. Unlikely given the recent excuses for crafting additions they have made in the Vales update.  But they rather we spend our capped currencies on this shit instead.

One day they might have a Lotro Player in charge and save this game.

Trait tree points have a cap. 90 points I think. Before this it was possible to fill out nearly two complete trait trees. I see a good chance of them raising the Trait Tree cap in the future. If the game gets to the stage players can cap all three trait lines then that would be dumb and rather redundant. We already had that, but it could be a long term plan all along to hinder player advancement for one reason. To have players buy the future points from the store.

Vales brought the final trait point to 92. They announced a while back that this would be the last one.

I know it will only do my head in but I figured I'd take a look at what's streaming ahead of the Cord broadcast to find a level 118 Druidsfire char with no end tier class deeds complete. She's reading tooltips mid "melee" battle looking for skills mentioned in the class deed panel. She's also looking for some other player to die and get the rezz deed advancing. With 3 accounts she can't take even that leap. Pontin: should give her some useful advise surely? Is she some kind of macabre freak show to you?

I'd say it must be a Valar toon but has she done this stuff on any char since the trait trees came in?

Edit: Further along and I quote "Why can't I fear it"

Because you never read what your skills can and can't do.

2 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

The shard cost is extreme though. It takes a lot of gold to meld, is it the same for sharding? You never know, one day we might get to chance to make useful relics again from these stock piles. Unlikely given the recent excuses for crafting additions they have made in the Vales update.  But they rather we spend our capped currencies on this shit instead.

One day they might have a Lotro Player in charge and save this game.

Unless SSG changes things, you can always get relics by running the Moria instances solo. Not only do the relics drop from the boss chests, but you can trade the rusted tools and Khudzul tablets that randomly drop from the trash for relics at the class-specific LI vendors.

You can also trade some of the old regional currencies for relics. Most areas have repeatable quests so that you can pick up extra tokens, though the effort might not be worth it. In some cases, the regions offer a basic token and a golden token; though there are some special tokens. In general, the higher level tokens can be converted to the basic token, but not vice-versa.

There are a few special cases:

• Unhatched Spider Eggs can drop in the Roots of Fangorn instance in The Great River. While an Egg cannot be directly traded for the Anduin Tokens, it can be bartered for a Seal, which can then be converted to Medallions.
  • The Resource Instances in Eastern Rohan reward Tokens of Effort, but the instances are not available until you've rebuilt specific portions of Hytbold. The Tokens of Effort can be directly bartered for relics, or they can be converted into Silver Tokens of the Riddermark. I would suggest NOT converting them, because you can earn the required number of Effort tokens daily, but not enough STotR. 
  • For a long time, the only repeatable quests in Western Rohan were the Warbands, but now you can earn Westemnet Iron Coins for completing Tasks. It's the only region where tasks have a purpose other than reputation and xp.
  • Warbands typically drop the regional currency, but most of the Roving Threats do not. You might also get extra regional token or two from the box rewarded for completing the daily Warband quest (Completing the quest for killing a Roving Threat rewards Gift-Giver's Brands, which cannot be bartered for relics. You can also be rewarded with a GGB as loot from the corpse of the RT).

I wouldn't start buying relics until you've purchased everything else you want (cosmetics, housing items, pets, steeds), but they are a good way to burn the old tokens once you move on.