LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Almagnus1

FFXIV: Shadowbringers Patch Notes

So I've been derailed working on leveling alt classes for the PvP crossover event (almost at the halfway point), and I'm hearing that the Shadowbringers storyline is better than the Heavensward one.

And the launch has been amazingly smooth, with only a login queue as the only complaint.  No downtime, servers shitting themselves, just a login queue.

It's like Square showed Blizzard "this is how you're supposed to do it" with their expansion.

Best expansion.  Hands down.  SE continues to show the competition how it's done.  Having a blast.

ffxiv_06072019_140812_163.jpg

8 hours ago, Papi said:

Best expansion.  Hands down.  SE continues to show the competition how it's done.  Having a blast.

Tempted. :)

3 hours ago, Jedy2 said:

Tempted. :)

Yeah, only downside is that you've got to soldier through a ton of quests for the A Realm Reborn storyline so that you have the Heavensward expansion properly setup and understand the context for that story arc.  That said, Heavensward is worth it, and it does an amazing job of setting up Shadowbringers two expansions later.  Very few MMOs are true MMORPGs, and FFXIV is one of them.

Finished Heaven's wart when it came out, liked it. 

Free time is the only problem - old age and retirement does not for more time make. ;) 

7 minutes ago, warspeech said:

My download is almost finished!  Free trial for now, but looking forward to checking it out.

As an FYI, the ARR story (the story until you hit the credits the first time) is really, really rough as the team kinda didn't know what worked and what didn't.  They haven't gone back and revised it (yet), but you really want to focus on MSQ (Main Story Quest aka FFXIV'S epic questline) completion as MSQ gates a ton of stuff.

Regarding character creation: There's no bad choices, as city of origin and race are all basically cosmetic.  Limsa Lominsa is basically a bunch of pirates forming a city, Gridania has more of a nature based theme to it, while Ul'Dah is a capitalistic monarchy that shares power with the Syndicates as they Syndicates bankroll the citystate.  Your starting citystate gets a few nods early on, but it's largely cosmetic for the most part.  The same is true for the grand company (basically, army for that city state), so go with whatever you like best.

Classes are the same, for the most part, as you can unlock all the classes (including crafter classes) at 10.  If you're on the Aether datacenter, I can ferry you between Gridania and Ul'Dah if you'd like to collect the classes in both cities, but you're not going to have access to Limsa until about 15 or so, once you get sent to see the other City states.  While the current expansion and the release of Gunbreaker and Dancer are skewing the queues to favor healers (which is Conjurer at the start, and you can unlock Scholar at 30 - healer queues are basically non-existant atm), play what you like.  As an FYI, there's training at 15 you can do that will give you good armor for the level and a +XP ring that's useful for alt classes.

If you do subscribe and get to Ishgard, you will be rewarded as Heavensward is a really, really strong expansion with the 3.0 and 3.x storylines - and Shadowbringers is basically a follow up to the 3.x storylines.

It's a lot of fun, and works well enough on a controller that you can play on a PS4 if you want to play from the sofa 😃

So I wish I had listened to you all raving about this game years ago. I saw the new expansion coming out and thought I would give the free trial a go. I've recently purchased the game and expansions and am fairly confident in saying its the best mmo I have ever played and certainly has the best story. Thanks for the tip, I should have listened earlier

9 hours ago, Laurinaohtar said:

So I wish I had listened to you all raving about this game years ago. I saw the new expansion coming out and thought I would give the free trial a go. I've recently purchased the game and expansions and am fairly confident in saying its the best mmo I have ever played and certainly has the best story. Thanks for the tip, I should have listened earlier

If you're like me, you'll be bored at level cap. ;) 

Best tactic for stingy Dwarves like me - do free trial to level 35, buy ARR (includes 30 days time card), for peanuts like 5$, buy Shadow (includes Heaven and Storm). 

1 hour ago, warspeech said:

Nothing wrong with stingy.  Where would I look for a $5 deal on ARR? 

Be careful if it's a Steam key, it's going to force you to ONLY buy expansions from Steam.  That's not a bad thing (as Shadowbringers was actually out as early as it should have been), but it's something to keep in mind.

3 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Be careful if it's a Steam key, it's going to force you to ONLY buy expansions from Steam. ..  it's something to keep in mind.

Yes. IMPORTANT!!! 

Found ARR only for 10 Euros now - official site, https://store.eu.square-enix-games.com/en_EU/product/445704/final-fantasy-xiv-online-starter-edition-pc-download

or whole for 40 Eur https://store.eu.square-enix-games.com/en_EU/product/565219/final-fantasy-xiv-online-complete-edition-pc-download

3 hours ago, Jedy2 said:

FYI: The other is true, if you don't start with Steam, you CANNOT buy anything from Steam expansion wise as Steam and SE Official are two different licensing chains... despite both counting as "PC" >.>