LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tarantula

"That new Lord of the Rings MMORPG is still happening, now with Amazon’s New World team on board"

https://massivelyop.com/2019/07/10/that-new-lord-of-the-rings-game-is-still-happening-now-with-amazons-new-world-team-on-board-for-pc-and-console-dev/

By  Bree Royce  -  July 10, 2019 9:20 AM    

Hey remember last September when Athlon Games – owned by Leyou Technologies, which also owns Warframe studio Digital Extremes – announced that it was working on a new “free-to-play massively multiplayer online video game” set in the Lord of the Rings universe? It kinda set the MMO world on fire for a few weeks there, given that we have a Lord of the Rings Online MMO already. But at the time, Standing Stone said the new game wouldn’t interfere with LOTRO as it’d be set in prequel times.

Of course, we’ve heard that before.

As of today, things just got a lot more interesting, as Amazon Game Studios popped out a press release saying it is now involved in a “special collaboration” with Leyou on a ” PC and console game based on the beloved The Lord of the Rings literary universe,” which is the same game, only now confirmed for multiple platforms, though it doesn’t sound as if it’s tying in directly with Amazon’s upcoming TV show, the cross-promotion certainly isn’t going to hurt.

It gets better – or worse, depending on your view of Amazon’s other MMORPG, New World, which perturbed players by closing down its previously always-on alpha earlier this summer.

“Development is being led by the same Amazon Game Studios team behind New World, and a new team being assembled for this project will utilize resources from across AGS locations in Seattle, Irvine and San Diego. Amazon Game Studios recently wrapped a successful alpha test of New World, and looks forward to sharing updates on that game in the future. The Amazon Game Studios team working on the game includes veteran developers who have worked on Everquest, Destiny, Planetside, World of Warcraft, Defiance, Rift, and other popular MMOs.”

Huh. There’s no release date just yet.

Saw the article in Endgaget https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/10/amazon-game-studios-lord-of-the-rings-mmo-leyou/

If Amazon got the licenses for the Histories and Silmarillion, that would explain why Turbine/SSG hasn't.

However.... if they don't monetize like DE does for Warframe... I'm not sure how sustainable a F2P model is without exploiting the player's ability to dump money on the store.

Will find it interesting to see how free or restricting is their licensing stipulation concerning degree of creative freedom they can exercise in a LotR "universe." Does the Tolkien Estate still protect the virtue of such things, or did they slacken up after CT retired?

(But then, there was that LotR-ish game with a wraith ranger, so if that could get greenlit then just about anything can.)

If the new MMO emphasizes dynamic gameplay environment and mechanics, that may just leave all the Tolkien lore snobs clusterfucking around LotRO. Not a bad filter.

That panicked scurrying sound coming from SSG office closet cubicle this year (easy to hear amid cricket silence) might be their awareness of a door closing fast on their Tolkien monopoly.

The tone-deaf lootbox cashgrabbing, the alleged "expansion" allegedly coming in a few months with 0% hype, no sign of LI revamps, Cord half-assing through livestreams like he doesn't wanna be there,  the "producer's letter" so inane it took three extra months to "write" -- kinda wonder if all this deflated demotivation is linked with looming shadow of competition growing over their shoulder. Realizing they will lose, so cutting losses and myopically focusing on "the story" in a last-ditch attempt to retain at least the "lore snob" player demographic. I guess this is why no effort is made to invest in gameplay systems and they're intentionally left to stagnate. SSG: willing to sink their ship just to keep themselves afloat. If SSG doesn't employ those third-string adult gamer nerds with no life skills, nobody else will.  It't not even schadenfreude-sad, just embarrassing. 

Surely Jeff Bezos will want it priced for maximum take up to kill all competition, like free to play with Amazon Prime then have zero micro transactions and all dev into the game? Well I can hope... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wrath of Winter said:

Will find it interesting to see how free or restricting is their licensing stipulation concerning degree of creative freedom they can exercise in a LotR "universe." Does the Tolkien Estate still protect the virtue of such things, or did they slacken up after CT retired?

(But then, there was that LotR-ish game with a wraith ranger, so if that could get greenlit then just about anything can.)

If the new MMO emphasizes dynamic gameplay environment and mechanics, that may just leave all the Tolkien lore snobs clusterfucking around LotRO. Not a bad filter.

That panicked scurrying sound coming from SSG office closet cubicle this year (easy to hear amid cricket silence) might be their awareness of a door closing fast on their Tolkien monopoly.

The tone-deaf lootbox cashgrabbing, the alleged "expansion" allegedly coming in a few months with 0% hype, no sign of LI revamps, Cord half-assing through livestreams like he doesn't wanna be there,  the "producer's letter" so inane it took three extra months to "write" -- kinda wonder if all this deflated demotivation is linked with looming shadow of competition growing over their shoulder. Realizing they will lose, so cutting losses and myopically focusing on "the story" in a last-ditch attempt to retain at least the "lore snob" player demographic. I guess this is why no effort is made to invest in gameplay systems and they're intentionally left to stagnate. SSG: willing to sink their ship just to keep themselves afloat. If SSG doesn't employ those third-string adult gamer nerds with no life skills, nobody else will.  It't not even schadenfreude-sad, just embarrassing. 

I believe the reason Tolkien's son stepped down was so he could keep his word and at the same time open up the Tolkien universe in ways not known before.

He he, ya not a bad filter in deed.

SSG like Turbine hardly gave a shit about LotRO except to siphon off revenue for disasters like Infinite crisis and to keep their beloved DDO still online.

The thing about all those addicted Lore junkies and nerds is they have all been sedentary while consuming their addiction. 12 years of playing 12, 14, 18 hours a day. Most of them will be dead or near worthless physically so much they'd have a hard time wiping their ass. I see them, in my evenings and occasional way early log on times. Now with a stable of 20, 30, 40 alts and they are still worthless in any group situation let alone an endgame raid. SSG can't keep the lights on when all the retards drop dead. So, if this new MMO ever comes to fruition LotRO has what? Five years to milk the insanity?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

Surely Jeff Bezos will want it priced for maximum take up to kill all competition, like free to play with Amazon Prime then have zero micro transactions and all dev into the game? Well I can hope... 

In this particular case, that would be a bad thing how?

back at the end of 2016 i made a thread about Lumberyards potential:

HERE!

as of developments the last almost 3 years now...  Lumberyard & all related Amazon projects had all the wrong people in the drivers seat.

i am calling this one now.  a complete:

giphy.gif

and since

Capture-8.jpg

made off with 38 Billion...  lets just say Amazons boldness may now be just a tad gun-shy.

as for the new Lotro MMO, seems highly likely it will tie into the show from Amazon Prime...

the fall of Numenor:

faceplant.gif

9 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

In this particular case, that would be a bad thing how?

I'm just dropping in a hint for anyone researching the "competition".

Is the plan to make money out of the game or further drive the core business? I'd think the latter or they'd want Blizzard sized numbers.

It maybe just a speculative investment to see where it goes but at least there's a stash of cash to go all in with. 

Well, if they manage to make a decent game that launches during/after the 1st season of their LotR-series, which will be of GoT-quality, the game will be a huge cash-cow.

It all depends on how good the amazon-series will be.

1 hour ago, Thrabath said:

... which will be of GoT-quality...

Are we talking S1 - 4, or are we talking the slowly building trash heap that was everything after?

4 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

I'm just dropping in a hint for anyone researching the "competition".

Is the plan to make money out of the game or further drive the core business? I'd think the latter or they'd want Blizzard sized numbers.

It maybe just a speculative investment to see where it goes but at least there's a stash of cash to go all in with. 

Oh, I expect the monetization of the game to be exactly like how Amazon does it.... Everywhere, and so good you don't even realize your sending them your bank balance, but so clearly flagged that when you realize what you did, you just feel dumb.

1 hour ago, Almagnus1 said:

Oh, I expect the monetization of the game to be exactly like how Amazon does it.... Everywhere, and so good you don't even realize your sending them your bank balance, but so clearly flagged that when you realize what you did, you just feel dumb.

I don't have Amazon Prime myself but I might take the 30 day trial one day.

PS. I would also prefer to pay for a great game rather than play a free one that's all about trying to extort money out of me.

23 hours ago, cossieuk said:

They could make it a sub based game, with your Prime account counting as a sub

a sure fire way to get me to never play it.  & since i am predicting a dumpster fire and won't touch this one regardless...  they might as well do something like that, for all it would matter.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:56 AM, Macdui101 said:

I don't have Amazon Prime myself but I might take the 30 day trial one day.

i did not need Amazon Prime to watch, "Man in the High Tower"  or "Punisher"...   you'd be surprised what you don't need & still be able to watch commercial free, selections of your choosing.  ;)

On 7/11/2019 at 8:41 AM, Almagnus1 said:

you don't even realize your sending them your bank balance, but so clearly flagged that when you realize what you did, you just feel dumb.

imagine gating you through a prime account would give them a lot more than just a bank statement.  sometimes it feels like people are still equipped with the brains of:

a long, long, long time ago...  in an entry level job...   a lifetime away... a former employer of mine...

sold a "SMALL" soup in a 8 oz. cup like this:

image.png.7d87146f8533b76b4eba7ec0c0f6d7b6.png

and for 2 dollars more, a "LARGE" soup in an 8 oz. bowl, like this:

image.png.f876b31aebbda88b4303471cbf9c09b3.png

when an adult fe-person asked, "how big is 'SMALL?' & 'LARGE?'  what is the difference?"

i actually filled the cup with hot water and poured it into the bowl in front of her...  i shit you not, after seeing with her own eyes...  she asked for a large.

giphy.gif

for some, there is no help.  feeling dumb comes naturally & is deeply rooted.

Sometime ago, maybe two years, possibly more, I made a post in a thread about how Amazon would go big if they obtained rights to the Tolkien universe. Not long after, a series by Amazon was announced, and a 500 million dollar tag was attached to it. In this, I also said, I saw a new LotR based game coming after. I didn't hit the bullseye, but I'll be satisfied knowing, I was close. I'll dig the thread up later when I have more time and edit, add it here.

I won't be so interested in this new game if it is attached to Amazon Prime in some measure relating to accounts. I hardly watch television as it is. There isn't enough time in my day to be a lounge lizard eating Bon Bons.

Reading the recent news, I didn't make the leap that this project would be usurped by Amazon as many others have. I still see it as a Leyou owned game who managed to purchase some Tolkien rights and has some help by an American company being Amazon. Though admittedly I haven't been following this game other than seeing the momentary buzz from time to time.

If they go for a microtransaction model like the last one, I wouldn't be surprised. It's everywhere now, and mostly seems designed to exploit kids.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48925623

What makes me laugh is that these stories are all about how stupid kids are getting hold of their parents' bank details and spending hundreds, if not thousands, on a game... meanwhile in LotRO we've got supposed adults likely spending the same. Literally duped like these kids, but too caught up in their Stockholm syndrome to realise they've been exploited. At least the kids have the excuse of being ridiculously naive and idiotic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doro said:

meanwhile in LotRO we've got supposed adults likely spending the same. Literally duped like these kids, but too caught up in their Stockholm syndrome to realise they've been exploited. At least the kids have the excuse of being ridiculously naive and idiotic.

And then they take it further by setting up alt accounts for their kids, paying for those too.

While game companies definitely target gullible children... The hyper-focus on kids in all those news stories could well be a projection screen for their game-addict parents (the interview sources for such reports) too stuck up their own ass to admit their own issues. How thinkable is it for a kid to pilfer a parent's credit card? Chances are, if kids resort to such behaviors, their parents are (a) enabling them (b) absent and not giving attention/a fuck (c) both at the same damn time. Wouldn't be an issue in the first place if those same parents didn't plug their kids into tech devices to shut them up, which of course frees up the time to...plug themselves into the same devices like the mature adults they are. Just the mindset to hook their kids on the same pill, then point fingers to deflect responsibility.  Of course, the news reporters don't ask "where were the parents" because underage gambling addiction gets more clicks and outrage points than the basic vanilla kind.

The real "RPG" in Lotro is all those stagnant cucks roleplaying functioning adults. I cringe at the premise of making game accounts for (no shit) six-year-olds, or at the thought there actually are upper teens out there who've been plugged into that game by their parents since age nine because same parental figures don't wanna be alone in their misery and "play as a family." Some people shouldn't reproduce.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Doro said:

If they go for a microtransaction model like the last one, I wouldn't be surprised. It's everywhere now, and mostly seems designed to exploit kids.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48925623

What makes me laugh is that these stories are all about how stupid kids are getting hold of their parents' bank details and spending hundreds, if not thousands, on a game... meanwhile in LotRO we've got supposed adults likely spending the same. Literally duped like these kids, but too caught up in their Stockholm syndrome to realise they've been exploited. At least the kids have the excuse of being ridiculously naive and idiotic.

I love the one who says they are technically savvy but didnt think to put a password on

• Upvote 1

Yes everything Wrath of Winter said above and more.

For me Morpheus defines this very well in the 1st Matrix movie. What he says can be adapted to near every moment in a persons life involving the sensory feedback loop for validation.

“The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.
Morpheus The Matrix

The will to be goal driven is probably one of the best facets of humankind, but too often its stretches into the weird for many who only exist, to further the boundary, to maintain the same feelgood from the initial experience. Today, I see a vast majority of society goals as something not intended to create "Validation", but to keep those in the experience to continue to reach for that which is not intended to be grasp a hold of. In online games its the repeat grind. In life its the perfect credit score. Many other examples exist bth they are too numerous to put here. Imaginary benchmarks that have no solidity nor tangibles of real value. Just made up to keep you plugged in with the hopes you will never pull the plug.

People grow up with games, video game, phones, computers all using up a days time. Next generation is born into this cycle and don't know any difference. Revolve their lives around these time sinks. Next generation is born into same cycle and think it is all there ever was. They can't conceive of a day before all these things existed therefore in there minds they always existed. Since they can't step out of a box they aren't aware of, they will defend what they know, because somewhere within this box they find meaning which validates their existence. Even if it is all a machination of someone's they will never know.

I do readily and openly admit, I love to fuck with people who are plugged into society. To stick a splinter in their mind about what for,  why they exist, and best of all, the value of their existence.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Splay said:

I do readily and openly admit, I love to fuck with people who are plugged into society. To stick a splinter in their mind about what for,  why they exist, and best of all, the value of their existence.

The sad thing is that (generally speaking) if someone's best achievement was inside of a video game, it means their life is completely meaningless and they really didn't contribute anything of value to society.

It's like all the land whales on Twitter that form the outrage mob.  A complete waste of space with nothing useful to contribute to society.

It's truly a sad thing.

On 7/15/2019 at 1:14 AM, Doro said:

we've got supposed adults likely spending the same. Literally duped like these kids, but too caught up in their Stockholm syndrome to realize they've been exploited. At least the kids have the excuse of being ridiculously naive and idiotic. 

On 7/15/2019 at 8:44 AM, Wrath of Winter said:

And then they take it further by setting up alt accounts for their kids, paying for those too.

While game companies definitely target gullible children... The hyper-focus on kids in all those news stories could well be a projection screen for their game-addict parents (the interview sources for such reports) too stuck up their own ass to admit their own issues. How thinkable is it for a kid to pilfer a parent's credit card? Chances are, if kids resort to such behaviors, their parents are (a) enabling them (b) absent and not giving attention/a fuck (c) both at the same damn time. Wouldn't be an issue in the first place if those same parents didn't plug their kids into tech devices to shut them up, which of course frees up the time to...plug themselves into the same devices like the mature adults they are. Just the mindset to hook their kids on the same pill, then point fingers to deflect responsibility.

well it is, "Current YEAR" after all.  and sights like these:

are becoming all too common.  the world has become a predators oyster feast.

whilst receiving this... education, they also get the bonus of student debt which they'll be paying off for the next 20 years...  or even their lifetimes.

sometimes it seems the world is just a baseline stupid mill & production quotas are dialed up year after year.

On 7/17/2019 at 12:08 AM, LasraelLarson said:

well it is, "Current YEAR" after all.  and sights like these:

are becoming all too common.  the world has become a predators oyster feast.

whilst receiving this... education, they also get the bonus of student debt which they'll be paying off for the next 20 years...  or even their lifetimes.

sometimes it seems the world is just a baseline stupid mill & production quotas are dialed up year after year.

Did it ever occur to you that the instructor told them to repeat the instructions back to her to make sure they were listening and understood?  Heaven forbid the lady wishes to avoid having a crap ton of people come up to her without any idea of what they're doing.  No, it has to be brainless zombies.  That video is totally pointless.  There is absolutely no context.

I suppose it would make you feel better if 80% of them told that woman to go fuck herself, and demand that she stop trying to control them.

6 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Did it ever occur to you that the instructor told them to repeat the instructions back to her to make sure they were listening and understood?

This is likely the case, however that's not always a guarantee of comprehension. It's fairly easy to parrot something without actually taking in what's being said. It doesn't help that they're grown adults with opinions others are supposed to take seriously, either.

12 hours ago, Doro said:

This is likely the case, however that's not always a guarantee of comprehension. It's fairly easy to parrot something without actually taking in what's being said. It doesn't help that they're grown adults with opinions others are supposed to take seriously, either.

If they're in the Capitol Building, you certainly don't want people aimlessly milling around.  The onus of comprehension is on the group, not the instructor.  Seems more like a cover yo ass scenario.