Jump to content
LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Almagnus1

Legendary Servers = Failed Experiment?

Recommended Posts

So, now that we're starting to get into the "gotta regrind the LIs with each new level increase" and past the fun content of SoA and MoM... are the legendary servers going to become ghost towns as players lose interest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over on the OF they're excited about race changes being a thing soon, and a new race of dwarf coming, so I think that yes, the Legendary Servers are past prime now.  

They've got new shinies coming to charge people for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My money is on them including the new dwarf race (reskin w/o beard...sigh) with the upcoming expansion and not including it in the standard edition--just like they did with the Mordor expac and the High Elf bullshit.

Also, am I reading the forums right...they are adding a Tier 4 and 5 to existing, end-game instances? How fucking lazy can they get?? <--rhetorical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if making it a progression server was a good idea, as most of the nostalgia was for SoA, not the later expansions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falebrindor said:

I'm not sure if making it a progression server was a good idea, as most of the nostalgia was for SoA, not the later expansions. 

I did run the Rift a few times, then logged off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falebrindor said:

I'm not sure if making it a progression server was a good idea, as most of the nostalgia was for SoA, not the later expansions. 

Pretty much this. It might've worked better if they had a permanent server for each cap, that way people would be able to choose just how near to the edge of the cliff they wanted to get instead of slowly being pushed. Then again, there's only so long old, out-dated content could last people. The SoA re-release lasted 2 months, maybe 3 max, before people started complaining about a lack of content. MoM, another 2 months but people were already getting bored after 1 month. No idea about SoM, I dropped the Limited Servers about a month before SoM came out.

Their biggest mistakes was not adding PvP. That used to be something that gave me a reason to log in most often, when evening kin raids and subsequent locks limited the end-game hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Doro said:

 

Their biggest mistakes was not adding PvP.

Above:  In a nutshell.

Their populations continue to decline and at this point Ithil is even lower than the lowest existing server before consolidation. They just need to put those horses down and send them to the glue factory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Havent played in a month, SoM just didnt make me want to keep playing, I'd love to pop in on a rare day off today and say hello to what's left of my kin, but I'd have to drop $15 for that. I knew the LSs would definitely run their course for me, Im just not sure if Im surprised that it ended so soon or if I lasted that long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Altreg01 said:

Havent played in a month, SoM just didnt make me want to keep playing, I'd love to pop in on a rare day off today and say hello to what's left of my kin, but I'd have to drop $15 for that. I knew the LSs would definitely run their course for me, Im just not sure if Im surprised that it ended so soon or if I lasted that long.

Ha, didn't you only start back up on there at the start of June?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now looked at the numbers per Lux-hdro. Both Anor and Ithil have lost anything close to a bare minimum which could be considered critical mass. Even Landroval  and Gladden could be put in that category as well. I'm seeing recently staunch supporters of the LS venture come back to Landy and wondering where everyone is. Each level cap raise on the LS soon after, has the continual decline.

Minas Morgul will hold the original servers at their current dismal state but again the decline will continue. PvMP is nonexistent on 80% of the servers. Festivals aren't holding up well as they once have. Lore is being broken and outright destroyed, pushing away Lore Fanatics.

Now, the new Lore mutation is Isildur became a Shade and Aragorn brought the Scepter of Annuminas to stir the Shades memory likely so Isildur will confront Karaz-something and have the players help defeat the last foe of Sauron's dominion. MoL is really dicing up the Lore in ways not seen before.

Raid kins are being pushed in to raid kin pugs for survival.

The only players who don't see the decline, are fuckin morons who wont look you in the eye, who would just as soon place everyone on ignore, because they can't control the chat box and freak out, if someone says something at all.

The newer players haven't a clue on how to manage the UI, follow quest progressions, build their characters, or even understand the stats to choose gear.

Its really a complete breakdown of the game and its social existence.

Meanwhile idiots showcase the game via livestreams who just make the situation overall worse.

Anor, Ithil server merge is inevitable and that will alienate even more because of the naming policy.

I took a recent look at the usual game sites who have been selling accounts and gold for near 20 years, and in those you couldn't give away a LotRO lifetime account. They aren't buying or selling them at all. Was a time where a lifetime account was for sale at over $500. Also their gold selling prices for LotRO aren't even 10% of what they were at the games peak. I follow such reputable sites as a monitor for years. Not these, recent shit Russian scabs who stole accounts just by looking at their site. Also many so-called whales have been washed ashore and have become dead carcasses, alongside the flotsam and jetsam already littering the shores of Middle Earth.

 

All in all, I can say with clarity, this game is nearing its last sunrise. You'll know this day, when suddenly SSG fast tracks to the "Sailing off into the West" by the fellowship. After that its 100% maintenance mode or an outright lights out situation.

 

Edit: Just found this. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?674713-The-ability-to-transfer-character-from-a-legendary-server-to-live-as-a-one-way-one-time-only-ability

Only reason to want this is reaching level cap and not wanting to wait for a new one and knowing the LS gimmick is failing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Splay said:

Now, the new Lore mutation is Isildur became a Shade and Aragorn brought the Scepter of Annuminas to stir the Shades memory likely so Isildur will confront Karaz-something and have the players help defeat the last foe of Sauron's dominion. MoL is really dicing up the Lore in ways not seen before.

Raid kins are being pushed in to raid kin pugs for survival.

The only players who don't see the decline, are fuckin morons who wont look you in the eye, who would just as soon place everyone on ignore, because they can't control the chat box and freak out, if someone says something at all.

The newer players haven't a clue on how to manage the UI, follow quest progressions, build their characters, or even understand the stats to choose gear.

Its really a complete breakdown of the game and its social existence.

Meanwhile idiots showcase the game via livestreams who just make the situation overall worse.

I think at this point LotRO (overall) is terminal.  I'm surprised it's lived this long, but if (as suspected) the core is unraveling, you can't keep enough people on the servers so round 2 of server mergers are going to happen.  I predict we're going to see a DE, FR, EN-EU, EU-RP, NA-RP, and NA server survive (as that's the bare minimum number of tags), and eventually FR will get dropped (because the FR community is so small comparatively).

21 minutes ago, Splay said:

Edit: Just found this. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?674713-The-ability-to-transfer-character-from-a-legendary-server-to-live-as-a-one-way-one-time-only-ability

Only reason to want this is reaching level cap and not wanting to wait for a new one and knowing the LS gimmick is failing.

#NotSurprised

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 6:34 PM, Splay said:

Now, the new Lore mutation is Isildur became a Shade and Aragorn brought the Scepter of Annuminas to stir the Shades memory likely so Isildur will confront Karaz-something and have the players help defeat the last foe of Sauron's dominion. MoL is really dicing up the Lore in ways not seen before.

Not only is that a shameless insult to the source material, it's an almost transparent rip-off from them SoM/SoW thingies (as far as I can remember their story from a fanboy's chat last year, which I couldn't mute :p ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 9:30 AM, Doro said:

Ha, didn't you only start back up on there at the start of June?

Something like that. Havent been on in a long while, did little river or whatever is next launch yet?  Currently doing some D3 in my rare spare time, no time for an MMO and surely no time for Lotro. I think if finally finally died for me. SoA and MoM were its last hurrah with me

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Altreg01 said:

Something like that. Havent been on in a long while, did little river or whatever is next launch yet?  Currently doing some D3 in my rare spare time, no time for an MMO and surely no time for Lotro. I think if finally finally died for me. SoA and MoM were its last hurrah with me

 

Yes, Isengard is now released with Great River.. 
There is however a bug that prevents anyone to enter brown-lands, so you can't finish the quest line yet.

Ohh..and the skirm camp dude that lets you barter First age weapons was avaiable for 20min after release.. This made those who logged on early able to barter many many FA symbols (for a few marks\meds)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, MrMidget said:

Yes, Isengard is now released with Great River.. 
There is however a bug that prevents anyone to enter brown-lands, so you can't finish the quest line yet.

Ohh..and the skirm camp dude that lets you barter First age weapons was avaiable for 20min after release.. This made those who logged on early able to barter many many FA symbols (for a few marks\meds)

That was kept pretty quiet (at least around here). I had no idea they were even done with Mirkwood yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cordo said it on a live stream (a friday i think it was)

It was then released the next tuesday. 
Patch notes came late monday. 

Was like that with mirkwood as well.. Officials said they release update the day before it went live.

Seems like they rushed the release of Isengard as quickly as possible as the cheer interest in this exp pack is way higher than anything else.
So far there has been like 200\300 non anon players online even at peak times.. My live server (Evernight) has usually 700\800 in peak times.

They really should combine Anor and Ithil right away and also consider combining many of the EU servers to one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Doro said:

That was kept pretty quiet (at least around here). I had no idea they were even done with Mirkwood yet.

They are now 2 months ahead of the original release schedule. I think Mirkwood came early because of the many completionist in Moria were blowing virtue exp gains. Fixing the issues being beyond their ken they figured to just apply the same fix, up the level cap and have space for that vxp open up. 

I think they have the merest grasp that they have reached the golden era of Lotro at this point on the LSs. Cord made mutterings that the next release will come later. But if the subs drop again then the bean counters will push the LSs over the precipice into the carnage years of lotro.

The biggest failure for LSs is that they didn't open them up on beta first and sort out the balance before release. Time and again they fail without help. It would have flagged the symbol availability also. Numpties.

You can think yourself smart if you are stubbornly ignorant. That's the message form the Friday Stream apparently.

 

A delay in Rohan may get us a pass on the mounted combat but at this stage I can only expect them to make it worse than ever and only achieve in pissing off the crowd who have mastered it.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The small population that already play on Anor will completely die out with RoR -
Many players have been on\off legendary servers in the wait of this update (Isengard)

Now that this seems like a failure as well there really is not anything left.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I can't wait for LS to reach 85 cap I could roll a new toon and play the imbecilic RoR instance cluster at level 20!"

"I can't wait for LS to reach 95 cap so I could relive the nostalgic memories of rage and PTSD associated with HD launch!"

"I can't wait for LS to reach 100 cap so I could start the imbued LI grind just like on live servers, only for a monthly fee instead of free!"

Guys, we're really missing out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did like Bells of Dale. Well the bells chiming at the end.

It coincided with a really odd change to the guardian OP tree that had all the threat skills acting as de-threat skills. I was on my guard and had a space free and another guardian volunteered. It was vaguely amusing watching this guard trying to "off-tank" to draw mobs off the healer. Had not a clue as mobs ran from her. Thankfully they reverted that particular brain fart. Saved them all up for HD to utterly trash threat mech instead.

 

Mac

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

I did like Bells of Dale. Well the bells chiming at the end.

It coincided with a really odd change to the guardian OP tree that had all the threat skills acting as de-threat skills. I was on my guard and had a space free and another guardian volunteered. It was vaguely amusing watching this guard trying to "off-tank" to draw mobs off the healer. Had not a clue as mobs ran from her. Thankfully they reverted that particular brain fart. Saved them all up for HD to utterly trash threat mech instead.

 

Mac

 

I remember that weird time when OP Vexing Blow was acting like Champ's Ebbing Ire (was it? Can't really remember alt skills anymore since the game is slowly fading from my memory)... Some of that may have even remained as phantom code up to some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Yeah messing with it probably tipped the threat mechanics to beyond their understanding at that point.

 

I bugged the Shield-smash targeting issue today. There's some suggestion they wiped the bug database on the change of hands so all the old HD bugs aren't on any list for fixes. If I see it getting fixed in the next month or so I might spend some time submitting a load more from back then.

Anyone up for a bug submission week? :)

 

Mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that Lore is getting butchered more and more .

I remember stream where MadeOfLions all proudly boasted about "having ideas to last for years about story " and i was thinking - well that's nice buddy but this isn't MoL online it's LOTR online .

I will buy next expansion just because Minas Morgul/Minas Ithil is last great place mentioned in Lore that we haven't visited yet,and that will be the end for me .

I have no interest in MoL's ideas about Harad,Khand or Rhun .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×