LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Almagnus1

Legendary Servers = Failed Experiment?

13 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

I bugged the Shield-smash targeting issue today.

Is that the frontal targeting issue when the skill intermittently misses extra targets? Wasn't that one supposed to be fixed in the class pass? Not surprised it isn't.

2 hours ago, Urwendil said:

Is that the frontal targeting issue when the skill intermittently misses extra targets? Wasn't that one supposed to be fixed in the class pass? Not surprised it isn't.

So many times they tried and failed to fix Guard skills. Zipfile and OleBenny tracked it down to the target of the skill being the source of the frontal rather than the Guard as the source for the frontal. It is fun having a bunch of mobs chase behind you and all get stunned as the near to land their blows.  The downside of a fix is that the extra targets will have better defence to a frontal attack in it's normal use when the bugged version allows you to land a load of hits in their rear if you are adept at it.

I'm just seeing a fix in the next weeks as proof that they dumped the pre SSG bug database.

23 hours ago, warspeech said:

Now that's funny. Playing their cards pretty close to their chests, then. If I were a failing company with no real long-term plan, I'd probably be re-releasing content at a moment's notice, too.

13 minutes ago, Urwendil said:

Bets are open on when this sound of reason gets the axe gents...

Quoting it here just in case.

Will any of you even drop your subscription after having those poor experiences for months ?

You do realise this 'Legendary' thing was a clear cashgrab from the start right ?
You thought the fact it's sub only would provide you with quality content ? In most other games maybe , but not in Lotro , PVMPers learned that lesson ages ago : D ( most of them at least )

The only real thing you got when legendary launched ,compared to a progression tortoise stone kin on live , was a gold wipe.
I don't even know what you pay for in the first place.
They even kept the store open on a sub only server , does that not annoy anyone ? No hints ? Nothing ?

And no , i doubt SSG is afraid of losing players to WoW anymore. They lost that battle a long time ago , around siege of mirkwood.
They are not even a real competitor anymore.

They simply know the few players left are way too fond of middle earth , most of them adults with jobs and thus wallets and very unlikely to try any other game..
So they just milk you dry.
THEY DON'T CARE about gameplay.

Now give each other a hug and go play this atrocity : - D

Since WoW classic was mentioned , i just logged out to go to bed , here's a fun fact.
The player queue on each of the pvp servers ( those who wait to login because the servers are full ) is higher that Lotro's entire playerbase.
We are talking several thousands players , on a bloody QUEUE , on EACH server , and yeah , there are several...!
But legendary doesn't even have pvp , not even that abandoned 1.5 zone version we have on live , ROFLMAO.

• Upvote 1

Another one to save in case it's deleted.

To everyone in this thread who's dissatisfied with how LS are being handled:

You do realize that your active subscriptions nullify all your criticism, right? By staying subbed to play on LS you are single-handedly enabling SSG to keep doing everything you're complaining about.

Guess why it's been like this? Poor QA? Content too rushed? Not even bothering to inform players of level cap raise until the day before release? Because you're still giving them money, that's why. Is the craving for Tolkien Middle Earth holding you hostage to a subpar product experience you're not even enjoying? They're counting on it. Maybe stop giving them money if you want your constructive criticism to sink in.

Herwegur,
12.IX.2019

16 hours ago, Doro said:

Quoting it here just in case.

Since WoW classic was mentioned , i just logged out to go to bed , here's a fun fact.
The player queue on each of the pvp servers ( those who wait to login because the servers are full ) is higher that Lotro's entire playerbase.
We are talking several thousands players , on a bloody QUEUE , on EACH server , and yeah , there are several...!
But legendary doesn't even have pvp , not even that abandoned 1.5 zone version we have on live , ROFLMAO.

Wow is an anomaly. At it's peak, it has something like 12 or 13 millions subscriptions. LORtO has never even been close to that number. Based on what that QA guy said a few years back, it struggled to make 80K (or was it 800K?), and that was pretty much at it's peak.

The game has always coasted on the IP. I suspect it'll continue coasting until at least the new Amazon-backed MMO comes out. It has a community that is comfortable paying for their subscriptions and buying the fluff and stuff from the Store, and a third-tier development staff willing to recycle content so long as they get their paychecks. Don't expect much, and you won't be disappointed.

2 hours ago, Talisman said:

Wow is an anomaly. At it's peak, it has something like 12 or 13 millions subscriptions. LORtO has never even been close to that number. Based on what that QA guy said a few years back, it struggled to make 80K (or was it 800K?), and that was pretty much at it's peak.

The game has always coasted on the IP. I suspect it'll continue coasting until at least the new Amazon-backed MMO comes out. It has a community that is comfortable paying for their subscriptions and buying the fluff and stuff from the Store, and a third-tier development staff willing to recycle content so long as they get their paychecks. Don't expect much, and you won't be disappointed.

And I can tell you this, Classic is just such a tour de force of good game design that Classic could quite literally kill BFA because it's just that much of a better game.

It's also damn addicting because the chill pace of questing forces you to be more social than most other games I have seen before, and it's not afraid to kill you when you do dumb stuff.

I an one of those weaklings who simply can't leave LOTRO .

Certainly not because i have any love for SSG,or for good portion of fellow players ... or even chunks of the game itself .

Such as it is,it's only place when Tolkien addicts can go and live even a part of that world .

I'm not a subscriber for a long time now,did bought some LP so i can unlock last zone added ( i'm far too old for grinding,i'n good ol' times i grinded 1000 LP a day + plus they nerfed minstrels - the ultimate grinder class ) and i will buy next expansion ... after that for me lore part is done,don't care about SSG ideas about " things that can be added to Tolkiens work " so i will go into visit-to-pay-the-rent-mode .

I do have cautious hopes about Amazon's game ... as long as they don't make MMO version of something like Shadow of Mordor .

Edited by ZaklanoSrce
typo

53 minutes ago, ZaklanoSrce said:

... and i will buy next expansion ...

This is exactly why LotRO is the way it is.

Lotro is the way it is because it's run by incompetent morons 😁

I know,i know ... but i invested years in the game and i just want to see Minas Morgul .

I don't think boycotts could work at this point .

I recently read about some saudi prince who spent like 100 000 dollars on dota .

And there was some arab guy ( i think from Kuwait ) on crick server who did spent huge amounts of money ( valar items,store steeds on all characters,etc ),SSG needs small amount of people like that to churn on,the rest of us are just cherry on top,without us they still have the cake .

11 minutes ago, ZaklanoSrce said:

I don't think boycotts could work at this point 

Fair point.

Been there a long while (till last year actually) ZaklanoSrce so I know what you mean. When I finally quit it helped me though. Now I can enjoy other games I've loved for years and try the newer ones when I have the time and budget.

I agree on the point of whales vs. subs. I suspect even if all subbers quit today they would still keep afloat. It's the few whales who spend a lot and the gamble-to-win types they rely upon. That "raiding" kin which moved en masse to Landy to steal the server first title for instance. People were saying the leader himself paid for the transfers... That was the case way back in RoI/GR days too; I remember an old kinnie who would buy every virtue point etc. on top of his sub. Wound even mock us when we went out to grind deeds etc. That's the way of pay-to-win, with or without gambling.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ZaklanoSrce said:

I know,i know ... but i invested years in the game and i just want to see Minas Morgul .

Well, at least you are honest about it.  But I agree with Urwendil, an uninstall/unsub was the best for me as well.  Otherwise, you are just feeding the same machine you are bitching about, no matter how small a role you may think you have in it.

19 hours ago, Urwendil said:

Another one to save in case it's deleted.

Cheers, you've spotted me on my 'main'.

Interestingly, as soon as these points started getting traction, a blue name magically materializes fellating everyone for feedback. And not a moment earlier. Getting angsty there over the premise of cancelled subs. /out before everyone in there starts orgasming how SSG "listens to us", entirely oblivious of what it took to elicit such prompt attention. Smoove move to shut me down, red panda. Pulling blue strings is fun.

(as an aside: recognized your toon name from sig, some years ago I asked nooby guardian questions in world chat, and you sent me a /tell linking a cross-trait-tree setup, back when guard dps was shit - thanks for that, had fun with that build and used it a lot!)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wrath of Winter said:

Holy shit, one of them over there compared paying for LotRO to paying for electricity bills. That's how deep their reliance on the game runs.

Edit: Ha, then I scroll down and see you already called them on that very same thing.

Ballsy Ballie is on it now.

Think I need to go watch yesterday's live streams. The critic must be Druidsfire's self proclaimed journalist credentials, having created MMOCentral the tool for her stalking.

16 hours ago, Wrath of Winter said:

(as an aside: recognized your toon name from sig, some years ago I asked nooby guardian questions in world chat, and you sent me a /tell linking a cross-trait-tree setup, back when guard dps was shit - thanks for that, had fun with that build and used it a lot!)

Haha, I suspected it might be someone around here :D I can't keep names well (except Splay = sapienze), not even in real life :p Very happy to help. Parting ways with old Kibi has been the hardest bit before finally calling it off honestly. I've loved the Guardian and still do, even during the 18.2 blunder, and when I log in every few months to pay rent it's always with Kibi.

3 hours ago, Doro said:

Holy shit, one of them over there compared paying for LotRO to paying for electricity bills. That's how deep their reliance on the game runs.

Edit: Ha, then I scroll down and see you already called them on that very same thing.

I was really tempted to jump in for a second but decided to laugh my ass instead :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

Ballsy Ballie is on it now.

Keep ballin', intrepid one. Archiving post:

What if you are a restaurant critic with an online blog. You have some weird tastes and the Restaurant management feels the pressure to cater to your needs for favourable reviews. All other critics have long since written off their culinary offerings only "The Fat Duck" name has gotten them any covers for years.

Do they continue making Teriyaki Burgers dripping in fat or maybe get in Gordon Ramsay who might turn it around?

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 8:11 AM, warspeech said:

Over on the OF they're excited about race changes being a thing soon, and a new race of dwarf coming, so I think that yes, the Legendary Servers are past prime now.  

They've got new shinies coming to charge people for.

God Bless the Shinies!

• Like 1

Spent a good part of the day yesterday on Anor, yeah I know it was a weekday, but I did not see one other player in the northern reaches of Dunland and the only LFF chat I saw was some poor soul trying to get a Grand Stair quest/deeds run.  I'd assume there was probably a player or 3 at Lagtrev but I never made it there. 

Not sure how long ago Dunland launched (several level 75s in my kin that havent logged on for 30 days or more) or if it includes the Great River dead zone. Due to it finally being the offseason at work I will probably hang on to this through Rohan. No fucking way will I play this game with the imbued legendaries as they are currently set up now. They were a huge reason I quit live way back and I wont go through that shit again.

All the Funberry's are salivating after reading this.

https://www.destructoid.com/lord-of-the-rings-online-executive-producer-i-hope-this-game-keeps-on-going-forever-and-i-d-happily-haunt-the-server-room-after-i-die--573009.phtml

Severlin's bullshit spin. In this I found a few  lines and quotes that made me laugh.

There's still plenty of despair in the realm of Middle-earth, and that darkness continued with the recently released Minas Morgul update, which includes 250+ new quests, seven instances, a Shelob raid, and a continuation of a storyline that's 12 years running.

At first mention on SSG's own launcher promo for MM they listed quest amounts. I called bullshit and said on OF why were there no mentions of deeds. Next launcher promo showed it saying 250 quest and deeds. There are not 250 quest for the MM expansion. Above, from the interviewer Chris Carter intro for the interview is incorrect. But... You know Severlin isn't saying otherwise. Just because... Lmao.

Other things misleading above is the omission the Shelob Raid doesn't even exist in the game yet. Last, from above is the Black Book of Mordor is hardly a continuation of the original Tolkien story placed in game as The Epic Story.

Chris Carter continues below.

"One of the big successes in recent years has been the implementation of legacy servers (called "Legendary Servers" in LOTRO), similar to WoW Classic before Classic was a thing. Ciccolini says that these have been doing great for the company, taking in lessons that they've learned from their other property, Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO)."

Severlin is such a shit talker. The LS foray has bombed. Players on the OF speak about how empty those worlds are. Not long ago one player made a thread asking for transfers off of the LS worlds because they are deserted. The only player on the OF that says they are alive is "Captain Kiss Ass" Marteena.

Onto the Amazon endeavors. Severlin and anyone at SSG has said the same exact words in the past. It's almost as if these words are at the top of each internal SSG memo.

"Right now we're kind of doing our own thing and don't expect anything to change. Like everyone else we really don't known anything about this new project, and everything is going great for us, and we intend on supporting the game for as long as possible, hopefully forever!"

Aside from those few I highlighted, its just Severlin projecting how he'd like to retire scamming and manipulating the addicted suckers they been feeding off these last 8 years, by way of their monetization schemes. Including how they like to take a free ride off of what Amazon produces too.

I can imagine Severlin looking at a map, of Middle Earth and with a sharpy outlining regions, with year dates, asking Jeff and Jerry how they can work out enough regions, to get to the point of retirement. Oh ya and how fucking convenient to neglect their retirement rest on a 20 year old game engine, every freakin player in LotRO knows is lagafucked.

Meet Chris Carter, the new Druidsfire, and Destructoid, the new MMO Central. Only the most naive would mistake these microscopic propaganda ridden pamphlets for independent, critical sources of information. “Travel was provided by Standing Stone Games”. No shit!

Ciccolini’s comments are delusional if given the benefit of the doubt. Remove it and it’s some of the most malicious I’ve ever read from a games company. Embarrassing to say the least.