LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Talisman

Breaking: New Race Announced

The Scarecrow and Toto posing as snake oil salesmen. Lmao!

Severlin really needs to polish up his act. The guy can barely present let alone represent LotRO.

Another addition, no one ask for. Another reason to delay fixing PvMP. Another obstacle to throw balance over the cliff. Its clearly evident SSG has no initiative to complete the story J.R.R.Tolkien wrote and his son edited. Instead they are just writing a shit history to hype an old used game, way out of date. I can't help but wonder if the Tolkien Estate even knows what these idiots are doing. MEE might have the license for the material but I find it hard to believe the Tolkien Estate would give the nod to allow a parallel story so integrated into the trilogy and not have them have some say in editing or final drafts. Many people over this last 50 years have written content involving the proprietaries of Tolkien and all have been denied publishing access because the publishers fear being sued by the Tolkien Estate. The Russian authored, The Last Ringbearer is a classic example.

The Stout Axed Dwarves have a ring of power? Bullshit! Pure bullshit. All those rings were lost or devoured by Dragons. I don't recall Tolkien saying "Hey there are some Dwarves north of Mordor who hold the last ring of power outside of the Ring Wraiths or the three Elven rings." Btw who the fuck are the Stout Axed Dwarves? How did it become that an unknown clan of Dwarves have a ring of power? I guess the part of this that pissed me off the most is, by the time these idiots are done, anyone who hasn't read the books will think the PJ movies and LotRO is how the written story goes. For the next decade if I here discussions from people, they will think Tauriel was in the books and Radagast help Beornings become shape shifters.

Interesting how SSG conveniently ignores Minus Morgul is and was part of the Mordor content everyone already paid for, somehow spun into a new expansion to be for sale.

The sooner SSG goes bankrupt the better our world will be.

• Like 1

The first few posts of cheering and jeering for the beardless dwarf bullshit on the OF turned my stomach and I closed the tab right away.

Once again I'm really happy to have finally walked away for good.

Given that the racial traits are so small and insignificant, what is the benefit of a new race other that the look slightly different.

As for the ability to change race, class restrictions applying, who has reached max level playing one race that they didnt like.  Surely you would notice you didnt like the look of that race when you were still in the starter zone and reroll

Correction: it's a race, not a class.

They also announced they will stop offering race changes (with restriction).

On 8/4/2019 at 5:10 AM, Splay said:

The Scarecrow and Toto posing as snake oil salesmen. Lmao!

Severlin really needs to polish up his act. The guy can barely present let alone represent LotRO.

Another addition, no one ask for. Another reason to delay fixing PvMP. Another obstacle to throw balance over the cliff. Its clearly evident SSG has no initiative to complete the story J.R.R.Tolkien wrote and his son edited. Instead they are just writing a shit history to hype an old used game, way out of date. I can't help but wonder if the Tolkien Estate even knows what these idiots are doing. MEE might have the license for the material but I find it hard to believe the Tolkien Estate would give the nod to allow a parallel story so integrated into the trilogy and not have them have some say in editing or final drafts. Many people over this last 50 years have written content involving the proprietaries of Tolkien and all have been denied publishing access because the publishers fear being sued by the Tolkien Estate. The Russian authored, The Last Ringbearer is a classic example.

The Stout Axed Dwarves have a ring of power? Bullshit! Pure bullshit. All those rings were lost or devoured by Dragons. I don't recall Tolkien saying "Hey there are some Dwarves north of Mordor who hold the last ring of power outside of the Ring Wraiths or the three Elven rings." Btw who the fuck are the Stout Axed Dwarves? How did it become that an unknown clan of Dwarves have a ring of power? I guess the part of this that pissed me off the most is, by the time these idiots are done, anyone who hasn't read the books will think the PJ movies and LotRO is how the written story goes. For the next decade if I here discussions from people, they will think Tauriel was in the books and Radagast help Beornings become shape shifters.

Interesting how SSG conveniently ignores Minus Morgul is and was part of the Mordor content everyone already paid for, somehow spun into a new expansion to be for sale.

The sooner SSG goes bankrupt the better our world will be.

Since Christopher Tolkien has left the estate as a decision maker, there appears to be more room for all sorts of creative additions (as long as enough is paid I guess...)

In the Mordor storyline they had a ring of power and thought Sauron still had it. And I think it's also part of the instance cluster too (but haven't been in there). I am not waiting for this kind of changes/additions, but I think from a business point, in the current situation the game is in, it's a good addition. Especially the possibility to change to another race will be a potential cash cow - and I think it will cause a lot of bugs because of the race-specific quests ;)

I'm reasonably sure that license and content -wise, this is all under the umbrella of MEE. Tolkien Estate not really in picture, afaik. Meh - could be wrong.

5 hours ago, FundinStrongarm said:

I'm reasonably sure that license and content -wise, this is all under the umbrella of MEE. Tolkien Estate not really in picture, afaik. Meh - could be wrong.

You're right. Amazon's is the first successful deal with the Estate. Other, not fruitful attempts were made before though, AFAIK.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:58 AM, Talisman said:

So, during the meet-up in Indianapolis for Gen Con, Severllin announced that SSG is working on a new class, after all...

The Stoutaxe Dwarf.

http://lotroplayers.com/2019/08/02/breaking-new-race-stout-axe-dwarf/

Okay, so there's currently:

- Man

- Elf

- Dwarf

- Hobbit

- Beorning (should've always just been a sub-race of man with one class option)

- High Elf (again, should've been a sub-race of elf)

And they want to add a brand new type of dwarf, seemingly based on a line that I thought was from the Silmarillion about a few dwarves found fighting on both sides during the Last Alliance. Slightly taller, no beards, that's it. Another case of sub-race made into a race.

The next would obviously be a type of hobbit, if they keep up with the pattern of making a second type of each existing race. I still can't see why they're bothering with shit like this, though. At least Beorning had a brand new class attached to make it more than just a pointless aesthetic difference.

I think SSG must now have a figure of what money they can garner when a new character is created. Whether it's one who valars up or levels normally they must have an idea it's worth it to make a new race.  Having it included in all packages means they have an idea it's far more to gain than the 1000 LP it would otherwise cost. I guess the race change will come later and have a price, but if a player is in anyway attached to their characters can you see them changing race and name? Worth it for players with a bad rep maybe - all of us? :)

The 5% to light damage of a high elf was quite useful, you'd have to think these dwarves will have a carrot of a similar power. SSG won't be in a hurry to revamp the old racial traits until after this goes live. The high elf movement actually put me off them. I'm not so keen on the female dwarf option, there are some odd folk about though, the one in particular that comes to mind seems too enamoured with the high elf to contemplate this though.

Mac 

The funny thing with this announcement... it just feels like a huge lore breach to the point that SSG isn't even trying to follow the lore anymore, just making it up as they go.

6 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

The funny thing with this announcement... it just feels like a huge lore breach to the point that SSG isn't even trying to follow the lore anymore, just making it up as they go.

That started in Mordor and with the Black Book? For me it has made the stories as 'useless' as stories in other online games. The beauty of Lotro before Mordor was that the game was embedded in the books. That's gone now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarantula said:

That started in Mordor and with the Black Book? For me it has made the stories as 'useless' as stories in other online games. The beauty of Lotro before Mordor was that the game was embedded in the books. That's gone now.

I never quite got that far in LotRO, as I had made it into Minas Tirith... started playing again... and then Shadowbringers hit and now I really don't have a desire to go play shit tier stories in an MMO after experiencing a really, really well done one.

My small estimation... this new dwarf race gets +5% fire damage race trait bonus, to leech two birds from the same paycheck (pushing Runekeeper sales, of course). Either that, or +5% melee bonus and ability to play burglar, but this will not bring them extra $ and makes too much sense for their convoluted harebrains to even consider.

Cosmetic races are the new "classes", cheap to stamp out and keep players orgasming at the mere premise of rolling yet another alt through same stale content. Another hobbit 'race' is almost certainly a guarantee with the Scouring content, by which point there will have been more hype for upcoming Amazon series and a Dunedain cosmetic 'race' may not be far off. A Numenorean-theme PvP monster class would be intriguing (even if just a 'baddie' LM clone), but of course this, too, makes too much sense for their convoluted harebrains to even consider.

It all comes down to a bunch of overgrown D&D nerd-asses gradually diluting Lotro with this kind of nonsense 'content for sake of content' to the point of it becoming just another stale, bloated, generic MMO. All their touted emphases on being "story-driven" in their updates is coming to bite them in the ass. They're obviously running out of stories at breakneck pace, and to keep the blithering lore idiots happy they've gotta keep churning out inane diluted soap nonsense that pretty much turned Lord of the Rings Online into some very bad long-winded Forgotten Realms fanfic.

All the railroaded hand-holding single-story-arc quest lines since Isengard felt like someone's self-indulgent fan fiction, and what in Epic Volume I was a gripping drama with strong-developed characters has by Volume III become a daytime soap yawn-fest you couldn't pay the elderly to watch. I'm nowhere near end game (just approaching Gondor), and storylines keep getting more diluted already. From what I've seen in Mordor content and the new Vales of Anduin stuff, it's not even Tolkien anymore but a bunch of geeks nerding off on Tolkien characters in their convoluted harebrain scenarios. Who wants to play some overgrown D&D nerds' regurgitation of what they "imagine" happened after the Ring? It's like eating other people's vomit.

The strange irony of it all is... it's not so much that their focus on "stories" (at expense of end-game content) ran Lotro into the ground. It's that these "stories" come from the same narrow-ass D&D mentality incapable of grasping complexity and originality of Tolkien's creative multi-layered world-building, and instead applying the same D&D-style scripted formulaic bullshit to stretch and dilute "lore" to the point of nullity, as characterizes the self-perpetuating "pyramid scheme" of D&D mentality that industrializes imagination by reducing creativity to recycled plot devices, scripted scenarios, statted items, etc.

Wait til Rhun or Harad arrive, with addition of a generic desert Lotro's generic MMO status will be cemented. Any Exec Producer with a pittance of common sense (and maybe a business school diploma that wasn't print-on-demand) would know to push more Tolkien in a Tolkien game and keep the players "in the LoTR books" instead of rushing them out. After hand-holding them through Mordor, Dale/Erebor, and Dwarf strongholds, returning to "Minus Morgul" after destruction of the ring makes it just another generic boss lair region, robbing it of its LotR-related potency and terror. This linear narrow-ass D&D mentality keeps seeing LotR content in terms of "sequels", incapable of grasping that what makes LotR attractive to fans is the immersion into that world while it happens, not the sequenced hand-holding through and out of it.

There's this myth that "raiders quit and only the lore fans keep playing". But more accurate perhaps is to say, the ones who stopped playing are the imaginative/creative minds with quality standards, whereas the ones still plugged in are stagnant co-dependents throwing cash at their digital avatar "Second Life" to mask the fact they have none.

• Upvote 1

Made of Lions recently commented he used to be a lawyer in his former life. Imagine that. A lawyer spinning stories.  d;)b 🤣

8 hours ago, Splay said:

Made of Lions recently commented he used to be a lawyer in his former life. Imagine that. A lawyer spinning stories.  d;)b 🤣

Well, explains why he's overly verbose with little substance....

15 hours ago, Splay said:

And not a good lawyer, it must be inferred, given his scraping at a fledgling gaming studio for a living. Yet therein may be a clandestine benefit to SSG for retaining him on their paycheck.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:04 PM, Wrath of Winter said:

The strange irony of it all is... it's not so much that their focus on "stories" (at expense of end-game content) ran Lotro into the ground. It's that these "stories" come from the same narrow-ass D&D mentality incapable of grasping complexity and originality of Tolkien's creative multi-layered world-building, and instead applying the same D&D-style scripted formulaic bullshit to stretch and dilute "lore" to the point of nullity, as characterizes the self-perpetuating "pyramid scheme" of D&D mentality that industrializes imagination by reducing creativity to recycled plot devices, scripted scenarios, statted items, etc.

Couldn't have said better myself.