LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Doro

Brexit

6 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

What makes it so much worse is that the next time he has a reusable mug, people will just think he is only doing it for the photo, which he will be.  I doubt the press would care if he had just used the disposable one.  This could be his bacon sandwich moment

That's what it feels like with all politicians. None of them are genuine, they're all opportunistic pricks looking to keep an easy job and the chance to control something. They'll change stances with the wind and lie outright about their beliefs. If just one of them got up there and went "yeah, I did x" and was actually honest with people, they'd get a massive amount of support just because it would be a change from the constant conniving.

Also, I think I fixed your pic, it wasn't showing for me properly to begin with.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49917877

Bojo partially reveals his plan, at least involving the Ireland situation.

I've suspected since he took over as PM that his tactic has been to make the EU sweat by withholding information, running down the clock, and bolstering rhetoric that no deal is completely on the table, but the opposition here has constantly undermined this negotiating position in their attempts to prevent Brexit altogether. Had everything gone to plan, his full deal offer wouldn't have been handed over for a couple more weeks to really get things panicky, but I suppose he couldn't achieve that when members of our own government keep taking away his ability to bluff successfully. If they'd just stopped betraying the referendum result and let the PM do his job, we would've been in a much stronger position than we are now. Then again, going along with his gambit would've run counter to their desire to stop Brexit in the first place.

I think politicians not doing what the people that elected them wanted has been a very large source of problems in both of our countries, especially if said politicians are actually corrupt.

Well, and their is no solution to this situation;

The internal market is one of the 4 pillars of the European Union, it's the core and non-negotiable; 

So having no border between the EU and UKundermines that, thus the core of the EU; I also think having no border, which essentially allows tariff-free trade, is against WTO-rules and forces both the EU and GB to apply those rates to all other countries they don't have an trade-agreement with.

So there are 4 options:

1. Have the border between Ireland and North Ireland - The default option
2. Have the border around Ireland ánd UK thus include Ireland in the GB/ kick them out of the EU. Ireland don't want this, so it is only a theoretical option
3. Keep GB in the common market - then why Brexit? You still have all the good and bad of the EU, still have to pay for almost everything, but can't decide anymore about it; So if you want a real Brexit only a theoretical option
4. Have the border around UK, thus exclude Northern Ireland from Brexit/ UK

Of those 4 options 2 ánd 3 are not a real option,

option 1 has a lot of disadvantages because of GFA ánd I read that a lot of USA politicians with Irish background/ those with Irish background in their voters group don't like it and will try to block any trade deal between UK and USA - so not very good for UK I guess

option 4 had the risk of the government losing it's majority because of DUP and has the risk of the UK falling appart because it essentially 'throws' Northern-Ireland away. But since Johnson lost it's majority already I'd say this one makes the most sense. If May didn't thought elections are a good idea (or first thought, what to do with Brexit...) it wouldn't be the mess it is today

43 minutes ago, Thrabath said:

1. Have the border between Ireland and North Ireland - The default option

This will likely be the end result, but something softer, after the initial special regulation zone has ended. At the end of the day, they're two separate nations, so they shouldn't be surprised that leaving the EU means they have to act like it.

True, but I somehow have the idea that a lot of policitians didn't think about that

54 minutes ago, Thrabath said:

True, but I somehow have the idea that a lot of policitians didn't think about that

Quite probably. Most politicians aren't exactly voted in based on their mental prowess.

A border between Ireland and Northern Ireland is the worst outcome though. Unless we want the Troubles back..

On 10/4/2019 at 7:02 AM, Doro said:

Quite probably. Most politicians aren't exactly voted in based on their mental prowess.

.... isn't the lack of those a prereq for candidacy?

On 10/10/2019 at 2:13 AM, MueR said:

A border between Ireland and Northern Ireland is the worst outcome though. Unless we want the Troubles back..

True, but capitulations to terrorists shouldn't be the reason the majority is ignored.

9 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

.... isn't the lack of those a prereq for candidacy?

Pretty much, considering people like Diane Abbott have been in politics for 4 decades.

Some slight movement on a deal, despite Fuhrer Merkel's suggestion that there can be no deal without the UK handing over Northern Ireland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50007206

I've been watching currency conversion rates for a while now, waiting for the perfect moment to cash in, but it's so damn unstable because of all this Brexit speculation that it's near impossible to predict. Every time a story like this breaks, it starts a steady increase, but then it can get wiped out a couple of days later just by a single EU member saying something negative. It's amazing seeing in real time how fickle economies are. It doesn't help that some of the currencies I've been aiming for are also getting hit on their end by Trump's ongoing tariff war with China.