LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Doro

Brexit

1 hour ago, Thrabath said:

Well, they fear it's the start of the reunification of Ireland - which I do understand because there will be some sort of difference between NI and the rest of the UK; And yeah, they have that decision, but as I understand it, Sinn Fein must also agree or something like that; Though I've seen a lot of different versions, so not totally sure what the current idea is. There is a huge chance that this solution will prove to be eternal in practice, a.k.a. the backstop just renamed.

And it could also just be a way to get more UK-money to NI ;)

As far as I know, it just takes a simple majority to decide to put a hard border in place. Then again, with its current incarnation, getting a simple majority in Stormont seems to be impossible. Effectively, the "new" deal just puts the ball in Northern Ireland's court to decide on the border issue eventually, while the rest of the UK leaves without further delay. Since Northern Ireland were the major obstacle, I think it's pretty reasonable to give them the decision in this without hanging the rest of the UK in the balance.

You're probably right on the money front.

So now Gove and Raab are giving assurances that if we have no trade deal done by the end of 2020 we will leave with no deal.

So even voting for this deal means there is a chance of no deal and I suspect that many Tories would be happy for this to happen and may even attempt tp make this happen by ensuring that no trade deal is reach, which would not be hard given that it took 7 years for the EU to get a deal with the US

Also Oliver Letwin has an amendment that will ensure that we get an extension even if the deal passes tomorrow.  This will ensure that there is sufficient time to pass the necessary legislation to leave and again ensure that the clock is not run down forcing a no deal Brexit

The Letwin amendment has passed, so Johnson must but law sent a letter by 11 pm tonight.  He is saying he will not negotiate an extension and the BBC is reporting that an unnamed source in the Downing Street says the PM will not ask for an extension.

Surely if by 11 pm tonight he has not sent the letter he will have to be prosecuted for breaking the law.  In that case he would surely have to resign as PM

Yup, traitor Letwin has succeeded in fucking the country over. Here's hoping the EU reject the extension request. The irony that our democracy now rests on the decision of the very organisation we want to leave, because our own MPs have chosen to once again put the UK through months of uncertainty for no reason at all. Hang the lot of them.

11 minutes ago, Doro said:

Yup, traitor Letwin has succeeded in fucking the country over. Here's hoping the EU reject the extension request. The irony that our democracy now rests on the decision of the very organisation we want to leave, because our own MPs have chosen to once again put the UK through months of uncertainty for no reason at all. Hang the lot of them.

MPs wanting to actually scuritinise the deal is not a bad thing in any way.  Time must be given to see what MPs are being asked to vote for.  Letwin is actually pro Brexit.  He just wants to have a deal.  We were told Brexit was about Parliament taking back control, well Parliament has spoken, now Johnson must comply with the law or we may as well shut down Parliament  

Just now, cossieuk said:

MPs wanting to actually scuritinise the deal is not a bad thing in any way.  Time must be given to see what MPs are being asked to vote for.  Letwin is actually pro Brexit.  He just wants to have a deal.  We were told Brexit was about Parliament taking back control, well Parliament has spoken, now Johnson must comply with the law or we may as well shut down Parliament  

They don't want to scrutinise the deal, that's a bollocks excuse they use. They just don't want any Brexit to happen in any form. If Letwin actually did want out of the EU, he wouldn't have just stabbed Bojo in the back for the second time to block leaving. "Et tu, Letwin" doesn't really cover his betrayal, no matter how he wants to try to dress it up.

I say shut down Parliament (for a third time in as many months). There's no taking back control while the people making up the majority are pro-EU shills looking to obstruct the referendum result. Bring on a general election so the traitors can get thrown out.