LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Tarantula

Minas Morgul pre-order

tis amazing that for all the server transfer feature offers, it also included moving items without also shifting a character.  i guess the thinking is you could retry to claim items that may have failed to move with the character in the first attempt.  but the unlimited moves without actual character transfer...   kinda boggles how open the design remained for so long.

even more amazing when you consider accounting for all these item transfers for singular people with multiple characters across multiple servers...  how many actual individual players are active?  how many hours per day is someone spending playing multiple capped characters across several servers? etc.

cause if it was just a handful of people, they could easily take punitive action against a couple dozen individuals, but instead they shit the whole thing down.   so the percentage of players doing this had to be significant enough to pull the feature entirely.

LOTRO's population is small enough as it is, and factor in that a significant portion of that population is artificial (boosted by singular individuals creating multiple signals on multiple servers)...  and how this activity seems on the face to be skirting generating income for SSG...

game is in a very sad place.

You'd think, with the announcement of an xpac, there would be regular posts/information being released. But there hasn't been a word from anyone at SSG about the xpac (other than bug reports), since Cordovan's statement about Embers on 10/2.

SSG can't even bother to put together a decent trailer for the damn thing. Yet they want us to drop $130 USD on it.

36 minutes ago, Talisman said:

You'd think, with the announcement of an xpac, there would be regular posts/information being released. But there hasn't been a word from anyone at SSG about the xpac (other than bug reports), since Cordovan's statement about Embers on 10/2.

SSG can't even bother to put together a decent trailer for the damn thing. Yet they want us to drop $130 USD on it.

This trailer still looks better than the one they had for mordor.

And what info do you expect? from my understanding it's a new region with few new instances.

If people want to spend 130$ on it it's their choice.

Partly a new region, yes, but mostly just reskinned/retouched Mordor. That alone negates its merit to be sold at premium price. Yet people have been preordering...

4 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

tis amazing that for all the server transfer feature offers, it also included moving items without also shifting a character.  i guess the thinking is you could retry to claim items that may have failed to move with the character in the first attempt.  but the unlimited moves without actual character transfer...   kinda boggles how open the design remained for so long.

even more amazing when you consider accounting for all these item transfers for singular people with multiple characters across multiple servers...  how many actual individual players are active?  how many hours per day is someone spending playing multiple capped characters across several servers? etc.

cause if it was just a handful of people, they could easily take punitive action against a couple dozen individuals, but instead they shit the whole thing down.   so the percentage of players doing this had to be significant enough to pull the feature entirely.

LOTRO's population is small enough as it is, and factor in that a significant portion of that population is artificial (boosted by singular individuals creating multiple signals on multiple servers)...  and how this activity seems on the face to be skirting generating income for SSG...

game is in a very sad place.

That's what they usually do.  Back when they closed down some of the servers, if you were on one of the closing ones, your character got a gift box on login after transferring to a new server.  One of the things in the box was 5 Lotro points.  FIVE.

I guess some people were abusing that somehow, so it didn't take long for them to act....they took the 5 LP away from the box so if you didn't open it in the first day or so, oh well.

I don't think it needs to be a significant percentage of the players, if they're losing anything at all from the setup, they shut it down.  When it does come back up, it'll most likely be with a change that screws over the garden-variety clueless players too.

5 hours ago, berry said:

This trailer still looks better than the one they had for mordor.

And what info do you expect? from my understanding it's a new region with few new instances.

If people want to spend 130$ on it it's their choice.

The Mordor Launch trailer focused on combat. The Minas Mogul trailer focuses on landscape.

5 hours ago, Splay said:

42 seconds! I'm hooked! I'll be buying 12 Minas Morgul Ultimate packages right now! 🙄

More like 30s of actual content.

To be honest I don't see the point of those trailers other games have trailers with nice and very expensive cgi which build hype.

But when I watch Mordor/Minas Morgul it simply drive me away from the game, the trailers just look awful.

On 10/5/2019 at 3:50 PM, Splay said:

Related to this topic is something that has been going on since Embers came about. The currency has a 10k cap. If a player chooses they can transfer their embers through the shared storage to another server. Essentially giving the players stash of 50k embers. All well and fine. Seems legit though I don't see it as intended or playing the game with an honest spirit of intent. I've read many post on the subject and in particular about SSG oversights and outright development mistakes. I personally, am unwilling to fuck with my shared storage doing item transfers. Other's have made it a way of LotRO life. From the AH pvpers to Raiders moving their endgame gear around as they server surf, to remembering how the gold sellers used shared storage to pollute Middle Earth.

Cordovan just posted this about the embers/motes issue.

A bug has allowed some players to consolidate the numbers of Embers of Enchantment, Motes of Enchantment, and Figments of Splendour onto their account far above the Wallet cap of 10,000. This activity is no longer possible.

When the Minas Morgul expansion is released, all Embers and Motes of Enchantment, along with all Figments of Splendour, will have their total set to the cap of 10,000 if their total exceeds 10,000. Players can continue to spend their totals down to the cap of 10,000 until the expansion is released. Thank you.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?675828-Embers-Motes-and-Figments-and-Minas-Morgul

It''s probably the best choice.

I'll wait to see a thread with someone saying they bought they Embers with  keys and lootboxes. Trying to sway SSG to undo the newest policy. If so, all the players with 100s of thousands of Embers will be posting on alt accounts in protest.

I'm sure this change will piss off Chromite. It won't change anything for him though. He'll still be grazing on a field of SSG carrots.

15 hours ago, warspeech said:

Was this related to them shutting down character and shared storage transfers? 

Here is why I think they were shut down.

1. Exploiting the currency caps

2. Trying to stop players from leveling and gearing up on day one of Minas Morgul release, by using consolidated assets.

3. Stopping attempts from players preparing to steal OC titles. I read somewhere SSG was considering to have them again. It was suggested sometime ago that SSG should not allow players to transfer for this purpose. Also to have the characters already be on the server they day the expansion released to qualify for these titles.

4. To reopen them and charge a fee.

The Ember exploit may be an entry excuse for the others I listed.

I nearly forgot.

Can't have Beta testing, if no one can load characters on BR. That doesn't mean the testing isn't happening. I say, it is and has been, but on an invite only basis to Palantir.

Several things lead me to believe this.

1. The Palantir program is open and active for months.

2. I know a player who was invited several times recently. Though the reasons are specific and not really related to Embers, end game, or transfers.

3. This posted yesterday ago. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?675788-Forum-Player-Council-title-gone

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?675788-Forum-Player-Council-title-gone&p=7963364#post7963364

Cordovan says.

Sorry about that. Unfortunately, it has to stay for now. I had to do a bunch of necessary work related to Palantir user groups and the forums as part of a wider effort to improve the program recently, and the removal of old titles is a culprit of that.

You raise a great point, though, about signifying a past PC member. I'll see what I can do.

PC forums titles gone. A culprit lmao. To two dead birds one stone. Err should I say Standing Stone. Yep, MM testing is on Palantir and all the Beta idiots are pissed. They just haven't figured out why. Yet

Edit: I found this today.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?674355-RK-update-probably-coming-end-Oct&p=7963851#post7963851

Cordovan said on stream 2 weeks ago that the players council has been testing RK changes with Vastin (note he used past tense..not are testing or will be testing) and said those changes are coming to bullroarer soon

Palantir groups are now called Players Council?

Initially there were reports that players could not log into characters on a server that had received a transfer, then a screen shot of inflated Ember amounts flung the shit into the fan. Also revealing the PvMPer's method for stock piling Commendation for years.

For the majority you have SSG shafting you with caps and keys or other players shafting you beating you to the raid geared/experienced check for inclusion with their inflated Embers. We'll spend 4,500 Embers on a piece to claw back 400 embers later when needed, others just move it offshore in full.

Some are suggesting it's totally legitimate to save your currency this way, failing to join any discussions on what the spend spare embers on if wanting to remain under cap ofc.

Mac

SSG are adding crafting bags 10 and 50 slot to the non-standard Minus Morgul packs. The big one would be quite useful. Just not the $80 asking price.

Bit late to announce for those who have bought the lesser version already, I suppose account support will take your money to upgrade a notch or two, but likely a sign of low sales needing another carrot.

My m8 Chromite who want's his valar on EU servers and craft bag on US has issues with it. RedPanda churning out another item with little idea to consequences. 

2 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

SSG are adding crafting bags 10 and 50 slot to the non-standard Minus Morgul packs. The big one would be quite useful. Just not the $80 asking price.

Bit late to announce for those who have bought the lesser version already, I suppose account support will take your money to upgrade a notch or two, but likely a sign of low sales needing another carrot.

My m8 Chromite who want's his valar on EU servers and craft bag on US has issues with it. RedPanda churning out another item with little idea to consequences. 

I think the Carry-all bag is useful (and long overdue), but it's stupid to limit it to 1/server. It should be an item that you get on every server. In fact, I think, as a perk, if you're VIP and do the pre-order, you should get 10/server - that would cover any VIPs who have multiple crafting alts.

But, since this is not being "advertised" as an exclusive item, I'm sure it will be in the store. Not only the bags, but also additional slots.

BTW, here is the announcement from Cordovan:

Announcing: New Crafting Carry-alls for our Ultimate Fan and Collector's Editions!
We are making our Ultimate Fan and Collector’s Editions of Minas Morgul even better! When Minas Morgul launches, all players who purchase the Ultimate Fan and Collector's Edition will have Carry-alls delivered to them. A Carry-all helps you consolidate and organize your inventory by storing your various crafting materials inside it using only one slot of space. Because these Carry-alls are Bound to Account, sharing crafting materials amongst your characters becomes easier.

The Collector's and Ultimate editions will grant a Small Crafting Carry-all that will hold 10 different types of unique crafting items that will allow each stack to go up to 2000.

The Ultimate Fan edition will grant an additional Large Crafting Carry-all that will hold up to 50 types of unique crafting items that will allow each stack to go up to 5000!

These items will be delivered once per account, and will be delivered to the first character you log in to after Minas Morgul launches. If you play on multiple servers, please make sure to first log into the server where you want these Carry-alls delivered.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?675847-Announcing-New-Crafting-Carry-alls-for-our-Ultimate-Fan-and-Collector-s-Editions!

Lagging bad enough for this?

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?675855-The-LOTRO-Beacon-Issue-132&p=7964025#post7964025

Note from the Editor:

You may know that Oliveyew has been putting together both the Beacon and the other game's weekly newsletter for some time now. An opportunity has led her elsewhere, so I'm back in charge of the Beacon. The Beacon will continue! I am changing its publication date to Friday afternoons, however, to best facilitate the work schedule. Thanks!

Maybe the 5000 upper limit is for the shard farming for the next set of essence crafting?

RedPanda has seen the figures are worse than the Mordor pre-purchase and he's rolling out an unfinished bit of new tech in a hurry perhaps?

My alt cook has 127 slots with craft mats and outputs in bags and vault. 50 is a drop in the ocean.

But having to still find the things you want in the bag and remove them to craft makes it largely useless. The bag wasn't even displaying in alphabetic order, though it did have a search function. If maybe more use on the cook to plonk all the rarely used mats into and forget it until the craft dev comes up with another top tier food that needs some rep bound apprentice recipe item again.

Half arsed item that should have be made available to all hidden behind a pay wall. Nothing new!

4 minutes ago, Splay said:

Lagging bad enough for this?

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?675855-The-LOTRO-Beacon-Issue-132&p=7964025#post7964025

Note from the Editor:

You may know that Oliveyew has been putting together both the Beacon and the other game's weekly newsletter for some time now. An opportunity has led her elsewhere, so I'm back in charge of the Beacon. The Beacon will continue! I am changing its publication date to Friday afternoons, however, to best facilitate the work schedule. Thanks!

Wasn't Olive the person they brought in after the layoffs to focus on the store?  Maybe she saw the writing on the wall and left for more profitable pastures.

I always thought she only did the beacon and the DDO version. You have to imagine it's a miserable place to work with all the hype and denial and  no one really communicating. Just playing Lotro rather than DDO must get some stick from around the office.

5 minutes ago, warspeech said:

Wasn't Olive the person they brought in after the layoffs to focus on the store?  Maybe she saw the writing on the wall and left for more profitable pastures.

I think RedPanda took over from QMU running the store and marketing.

I don't understand what the fuzz is about, They should have made a new type of vault just for materials and make it account wide.

Instead they got some sort of a bag and people will have to transfer it between characters, and when people want to use those mats for crafting they will have to get it out of the bags,.I hope ssg will come to their senses and take more to perfect it, cause In my opinion it bad implementation of great idea.

The best part is people will have to pay at least  80$ for it ( I guess at some point it will be available on the store)

17 minutes ago, berry said:

I don't understand what the fuzz is about, They should have made a new type of vault just for materials and make it account wide.

Instead they got some sort of a bag and people will have to transfer it between characters, and when people want to use those mats for crafting they will have to get it out of the bags,.I hope ssg will come to their senses and take more to perfect it, cause In my opinion it bad implementation of great idea.

The best part is people will have to pay at least  80$ for it ( I guess at some point it will be available on the store)

Well, this is a new sort of vault.

I seem to remember that Cord (or someone else) said that there were technical limitations that prevented them from adding to the existing vault and shared storage caps. This might be their attempt to circumvent those caps.

5 hours ago, Talisman said:

Well, this is a new sort of vault.

I seem to remember that Cord (or someone else) said that there were technical limitations that prevented them from adding to the existing vault and shared storage caps. This might be their attempt to circumvent those caps.

RedPanda made a comment about not being able to extend the vault and storage. But as a dev/engineer and you have the guy who's always asking for game breaking stuff the sell with no thought to the consequences to the health of the game what are you going to fob him off with? It might mean they had to clean up all the login coding and/or add a few database fields, better a hack for speed.

You have to look at these guys as dumb and dumberer where consequences to the game are concerned. If the boss is so out of touch and doesn't care it's only going to be hacks from now on.

It's 2 years since Chris Pearson joked on stream about players PCs melting running through MT. Zero inclination to improve it... That's SSG.