Jump to content
LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Talisman

Just Another Day in Monetezation

Recommended Posts

Today on his stream, Cord showed the notes for an upcoming release, and a Virtue XP accelerator is being added to the store.

That Didn't Take Long... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they had to wait till they added the free pittance to the hobbit slot machines first...

now they can sell the meatier version in the store, as was always the plan.  ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the beta it opened the store and displayed one of those one off buffs packs they sell, so we were forewarned.

 

Did you notice how he quickly read that part very casually and on the next item on the list. Watched on Youtube later. That bunch of sycophant mods and fans on twitch, I've had my fill of this week. You'd have thought that RedPanda would have had the LP prices for us already. 

No virtue exp in store, no gear in store, no morality in the company.

 

17 minutes ago, LasraelLarson said:

they had to wait till they added the free pittance to the hobbit slot machines first...

now they can sell the meatier version in the store, as was always the plan.  ;)

Just an accelerator or two, never the vitue exp they promised.  And as they make a promise we know they have something in the playbook already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Predicted here on these very forums.

https://lotrocommunity.com/forum/topic/8558-be-virtuous/

Create a new system. Fill it with stop gaps, which can only be completed with tedium or cash. Once said system reaches its capacity usefulness, increase the distance to the next goal post for the same system.

What a stupendously novel approach to bore me to death doing the same shit over and over again.

I still haven't loaded the launcher to update it. So, SSG can kiss my ass.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Splay said:

Predicted here on these very forums.

https://lotrocommunity.com/forum/topic/8558-be-virtuous/

Create a new system. Fill it with stop gaps, which can only be completed with tedium or cash. Once said system reaches its capacity usefulness, increase the distance to the next goal post for the same system.

What a stupendously novel approach to bore me to death doing the same shit over and over again.

I still haven't loaded the launcher to update it. So, SSG can kiss my ass.

 

 

Well, yeah...I did say they would introduce it. It's kind of a no-brainer.

I'm just surprised it happened this quickly and was announced. Usually they slip these things into the store without fanfare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not like the store didn't had virtues traits for sale.

The problem is the system itself it's so grindy and now it gives people motivation to farm all traits and not only those they needs.

The system was ok if it was account wide, but instead people have to grind it on every character.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Talisman said:

Today on his stream, Cord showed the notes for an upcoming release, and a Virtue XP accelerator is being added to the store.

That Didn't Take Long... 

Shocking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at what's been posted about the deeds in MM I can't see more than around 20+ 2,000 virtue deeds there so another 21 X 4 ranks to grind/buy etc Or you drift and just max 4/5 and grind the last virtue you slot.

On Macdui I figured I'd save up a load of deeds to finish off in the older game and just slowly do the weekly in vales to rank up to 60 just for this scenario. So it's exactly the rep model where you need rep accelerators all the way or you are far off the kindred after completing all the quest/deeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, warspeech said:

Lollol I couldn't help myself. The absurdity that SSG clings onto from the dumbest ideas conceivable, kind of strong armed me into something equally as absurd. Is it possible someone at SSG will call it a great idea?

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?676809-Virtue-Accelerator-at-the-Skirmish-Camp&p=7973895#post7973895

SSG should make a new system for World Chat connected to the store. When someone makes a purchase, world chat enters this prompted by the purchase.

Cowabunga Dude! You Saved the Game!

 


Sorry Mac I couldn't resist.

 

I expect nothing less from SSG than full monetization. Though this did occur to me. Is it possible the salary paid to the scheming idiot at SSG could be more than the revenue generated by their money scheme? The karmic value of that truth would be great comedy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, warspeech said:

The mental gymnastics going on in that thread by the "regulars" is astonishing.  The gem is Arnenna who claimed she wasn't going to be buying the expansion because of how it was being monetized (wait for it...she bought it) and now she is trying to claim some type of high ground because she isn't spending money on other things in-game..."Leave those that wish to feed the monster - face the monster. Imma be a million miles away from that, just playing the game..."

If you bought the expansion and are actively playing the game you are feeding the fucking monster.  It doesn't matter what SSG does, let's be honest. Those type of people won't--can't--log off, uninstall, quit, etc.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A dev on a live stream I watched admitted to putting in a Starwars homage, body hanging down legs encased in ice with a sword below out of reach. Why not some Bart Simpson, D'Oh.

Lord Funkster is still buying a load of packages too, and planning to use the valars.  "I'll be back" Arnenna was always going to cave because the people she hangs around with all paid up. I might pay up too once the beta is finished. It's looking like the March LP purchase is by far the best deal for a lifer though, earning enough to pay for it in that time.

 

Karma: does explain Cord's various charity drives. But have to help the kiddies and the huge healthcare and pharmaceutical corporations over there.  

 

Don't want to put the image in anyone's head but imagine Cordovan sphincter as he tries to be super casual mentioning the Virtue Accelerator. I wish he was hooked up to a lie detector. Can't you get software to detect vocal lies online now? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is starting to smolder. SSG being the arsonist, doesn't use flame thrower anymore. No need when they can fan the embers from the last fire into this thread.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?676736-Fix-level-130-gear-T3-is-useless

I wanted to quote near 80% of its contents. Hilarity and circus theatrics on both sides. Fooled once, fooled twice, and fooled thrice and still they complain while defending their positions of how the game remains worth playing.

I wanted to post but thought better of it. Instead I shook my head and smiled. True diehards in that thread, who will accept any level of existence than not at all.

Had I posted, I would thank all of them for paying to be beta testers for SSG helping them polish the money scheme for the eventual LP purchasers. Basically saying thank you for paying to work for all the real population.

The total 180 turn around from a game tester being paid, to a game tester doing it for free. To now, games cashing in on their last phase of game development, before the real release to the masses.  _O_      Hook------------>Line--------------->and---------->Sinker---------------------------> 🐟  Gulp!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Papi said:

The mental gymnastics going on in that thread by the "regulars" is astonishing.  The gem is Arnenna who claimed she wasn't going to be buying the expansion because of how it was being monetized (wait for it...she bought it) and now she is trying to claim some type of high ground because she isn't spending money on other things in-game..."Leave those that wish to feed the monster - face the monster. Imma be a million miles away from that, just playing the game..."

If you bought the expansion and are actively playing the game you are feeding the fucking monster.  It doesn't matter what SSG does, let's be honest. Those type of people won't--can't--log off, uninstall, quit, etc.

Yeah, she's a real piece of work.  Always has to have the last word, and will never admit to any dissonance between what she says and what she does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, warspeech said:

Yeah, she's a real piece of work.  Always has to have the last word, and will never admit to any dissonance between what she says and what she does. 

Not always the last, she will disappear smartish when she knows she has been trashed. Can't admit the fault. Moving on to another thread.

I kind of hope they pickup on the Favoured Loot reset idea from Ballie, SSGRedPanda seems intent on selling anything and everything to hasten the demise of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

Not always the last, she will disappear smartish when she knows she has been trashed. Can't admit the fault. Moving on to another thread.

...

You're right, I forgot about that!  Pretends to be "above it all"..LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lord of the Valar's Online. Pay to not play.

Every vertical and horizontal grind increase prompts the cash indulgence to by-pass those very grinds.

Many times I read the arguments about how the price to play LotRO is a great deal in comparison to other venues. One I remember, was the guy who says he spends more at Starbucks in a week then the cost to play LotRO for a year. Another said the cost to take his wife and kids to one movie cost more than for that same family to play LotRO. Others quote beer prices and going out to dinner vs the cost of playing LotRO. While all those examples have some truth, its become evident SSG's remaining playerbase spend a whole fuckton more cash than a $99 annual sub.

Stacking Valar items to avoid Virtue grinding seems to be a thing now days. I can't really consider these players, I read about as Whales. I see them as more like starving their dog to feed their altoholic addiction. Players buying double and triple expansions at the top price to obtain Valar items. I didn't know that was possible but it seems so. Maybe the Lotro Market doesn't have the same connection the ingame store has to who has what for denying multiples of the same purchase on the same account. The whole thing seems rather stupid considering LotRO isn't being developed or managed imo to give a passing grade. So many shortfalls and ill conceived systems constantly falling apart or being exploited apart by the players to the point they get shutdown or removed. All through this there is a few hundred players who are so entrenched in the game. It is sad to know, even from a distance, these players can't or refuse to accept there is a real world right outside the front door. A few hundred loyal to a fault no lifers, who spend perhaps $100s of dollars a month leading up to thousands per year. And still, I can't call them Whales. Those real Whales are way less numerous and probably even more so addicted and likely as much living in denial.

The cash shop purchase gaming is in full swing in LotRO. I can't call LotRO a MMO anymore. It is an Avatar Cash Transaction Machine.

I would not have guessed players would throw away cash to virtually not play the game. I underestimated how deep the hooks are. Altoholics of this magnitude some how feel the need to have every class, race not only once but multiple times. Often for the dumbest reasons. Example: A player plays a Hunter and one won't do. They want one of every race and one of each for a bow and a crossbow. Having both female and male. They see they can have 50 characters on one account and let the greed flood gate open telling themselves they must because they can. All along never placing any self limit to their avarice driven spaghetti for brains, dopamine fix.

SSG has seized upon this as hardcore as any drug dealer can. All the while placing a smile on their faces awaiting the satisfaction feedback about how good their drug is.  AND these dumbasse's, the players have no issue joining in the feedback loop with glee and joy.

Now that SSG see's this, can the remaining population expect a level increase with every release, expansion or not? Providing with each level increase a new version of the Valar? An increase in storage space? A new pseudo class or race? A new increase to Virtues and Trait Points? A further extension of the ILI system?

Honestly, I can respect a street drug dealer more. At least the dealer knows what they are doing is wrong on some level. SSG seemingly has no conscious.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Splay said:

Players buying double and triple expansions at the top price to obtain Valar items. I didn't know that was possible but it seems so. Maybe the Lotro Market doesn't have the same connection the ingame store has to who has what for denying multiples of the same purchase on the same account.

The LOTRO Market uses Digital River to process your payment. If successful, it returns a code that you then have to enter into the in-game LOTRO store.

This is by design, so that people can buy xpac codes to give away.

In the past, the LOTRO team has given away xpacs as charity rewards or other events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Talisman said:

The LOTRO Market uses Digital River to process your payment. If successful, it returns a code that you then have to enter into the in-game LOTRO store.

This is by design, so that people can buy xpac codes to give away.

In the past, the LOTRO team has given away xpacs as charity rewards or other events.

Ahh, I see.

An unexpected or unforeseen duplicity to the original intent. In this case I describe, the purchaser buys the expansion with the included Valar, and or the stand alone Valar, not to give away but to use. There by avoiding the Virtues and their grind.

If I assess this correctly, I'm sure SSG will let it stay as is.

 

This thread below starts to get a little strange at this post there on out. Over capping trait points. Consolidating Vxp scrolls are two things that stand out.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?676493-Valar-level-boost-120&p=7973962#post7973962

Even SSGRedPanda doesn't know whats going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 8:31 PM, Papi said:

If you bought the expansion and are actively playing the game you are feeding the fucking monster.  It doesn't matter what SSG does, let's be honest. Those type of people won't--can't--log off, uninstall, quit, etc.

QFT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on, this one isn't a change from the past, they quickly started selling virtues after going F2P and I was surprised they didn't introduce these right away.

If you didn't see this one coming, that's just a little weird...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Err hehe hell ya!

Ballie workin the board. <------------Carpentry speak

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?676840-Holy-purple-poodles!-Valar-buff-to-120-vs-played-to-120&amp;p=7974307#post7974307

I believe the virtue tomes from doing the quest were bound to char or intended to be and will be stated as so in the update slated for this week (last Monday).

I have to wonder at the people making these decisions at SSG who just have no appreciation of what efforts players have put into progressing their ILIs, virtue ranks, trait points and gear. I'd ask them to take a wander around the Eyes & Guard tavern and remember the input of all the names, do they even know of them any more?

It seems like the latest valar is designed purely to progress Cordovans's valared character to a point his free LP can finish off the final build to a point he has the chance not to suck so much. Is he remotely likely to read what his skills do all of a sudden and understand how to get the most out of them? But in creating this bypass product for cheats who never could be bothered to play the content of these forgotten devs and properly learn to play and progress they get to pass all the folk still on their struggle to progress. We do the right thing and anyone can just pay their way passed you. The marathon runner slogging away to be beaten by another taking an Uber to the finishing line and extoling how virtuous they are with thousands in charitable contributions to their cause.

But the whales are maybe too dumb to know the gift they have been given to fix their chars and waste the opportunity. Those that could only reach these heights by paying can't sustain that level through their own efforts, they don't make any effort. Others a "free" toon to "harvest" for their mains.

I hope the delay this week is some realisation of what damage they have done to the game, but it's unlikely they care enough given recent history.

 

Layin that shit down the center of the road.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Splay said:

Err hehe hell ya!

Ballie workin the board. <------------Carpentry speak

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?676840-Holy-purple-poodles!-Valar-buff-to-120-vs-played-to-120&amp;p=7974307#post7974307

I believe the virtue tomes from doing the quest were bound to char or intended to be and will be stated as so in the update slated for this week (last Monday).

I have to wonder at the people making these decisions at SSG who just have no appreciation of what efforts players have put into progressing their ILIs, virtue ranks, trait points and gear. I'd ask them to take a wander around the Eyes & Guard tavern and remember the input of all the names, do they even know of them any more?

It seems like the latest valar is designed purely to progress Cordovans's valared character to a point his free LP can finish off the final build to a point he has the chance not to suck so much. Is he remotely likely to read what his skills do all of a sudden and understand how to get the most out of them? But in creating this bypass product for cheats who never could be bothered to play the content of these forgotten devs and properly learn to play and progress they get to pass all the folk still on their struggle to progress. We do the right thing and anyone can just pay their way passed you. The marathon runner slogging away to be beaten by another taking an Uber to the finishing line and extoling how virtuous they are with thousands in charitable contributions to their cause.

But the whales are maybe too dumb to know the gift they have been given to fix their chars and waste the opportunity. Those that could only reach these heights by paying can't sustain that level through their own efforts, they don't make any effort. Others a "free" toon to "harvest" for their mains.

I hope the delay this week is some realisation of what damage they have done to the game, but it's unlikely they care enough given recent history.

 

Layin that shit down the center of the road.

I love Ballie! 

3 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

We are the A Team now guys!

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?676837-Yula_The_Mighty-missing&amp;p=7974309#post7974309

"Many escaped the stockade of these forums, admonished for infractions they claim innocence (partially). Going underground to fight injustice they can help you, if you can find them."

Mac

Hot Damn!  I wonder if SSG realizes that they are hitting a tipping point in terms of how far they can push their "ultimate" suckers marks sheeple players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The have watched players leave for years without seeing the why or at least addressing/acknowledging it. They can't be so stupid they think this model has any sustainability can they?

In Athena Peters time it was their belief that any critical aggressive posts were as a result of players real life frustrations rather than something in the game at fault. Pure denial. It's endemic in their office. Easier to get through the day if you can make believe you are blameless.

 

Mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×