LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Almagnus1

Tech Debt and LotRO

1 hour ago, Almagnus1 said:

So amusingly, the last known OS LotRO supports has gone EOL, as seen https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=windows 7 service p .

Has LotRO updated their system requirements anytime soon, or are they basically considered a retrogame at this point in time?

Not updated them according to this post, dated 05/02/2020

https://help.standingstonegames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002036807-What-are-the-system-requirements-for-LOTRO-

Also you can still use Windows 7 just without any updates, and businesses can pay for another 3 years of cover with the cost rising each year per computer.

My company is still using Windows 7 and the only reason my department is getting an upgrade in the near future is that we have to access banking websites which will not work on Windows 7 in the near future. 

2 hours ago, cossieuk said:

I find it amusing that the finally told the OSX users to go pound sand.  Many of them probably aren't smart enough to figure out how to get LotRO to work on OSX.

Linux users, on the other hand, can likely figure it out.

Also you can still use Windows 7 just without any updates, and businesses can pay for another 3 years of cover with the cost rising each year per computer.

You are not going to be getting any further updates for Windows 7, only POSReady7 - and that's not a very smart thing to do as the architecture is largely abandoned within Microsoft, as all the devs are focused on 19H2 and newer Windows versions.  The only devs looking at the legacy stuff are the sustained engineering teams, and even those are setting a really high bug fix bar, unless you're talking about an actual security issue - which will likely get fixed assuming that there are people still on the support extension.

Speaking of which, the only way to have the support extension was if your business had already filed for it.  If you're waiting until now, you're screwed.  If you're just a random dude, you're not getting updates as all of those agreements are made with the understanding that the business will be upgrading and must provide an upgrade plan prior to that agreement's acceptance - not to mention that it's a very, very costly option.

Either way, you're rolling the dice and doing something stupid at this point.

My company is still using Windows 7 and the only reason my department is getting an upgrade in the near future is that we have to access banking websites which will not work on Windows 7 in the near future. 

Your company's stuck in the past, and they need to move forward from Windows 7.  It's not a smart thing (cyber-security wise) to keep running Windows 7.

20 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Speaking of which, the only way to have the support extension was if your business had already filed for it.  If you're waiting until now, you're screwed.  If you're just a random dude, you're not getting updates as all of those agreements are made with the understanding that the business will be upgrading and must provide an upgrade plan prior to that agreement's acceptance - not to mention that it's a very, very costly option.

Either way, you're rolling the dice and doing something stupid at this point.

Your company's stuck in the past, and they need to move forward from Windows 7.  It's not a smart thing (cyber-security wise) to keep running Windows 7.

They have opted to pay for continued support .  Well this is costly it gives another 3 years to spread the cost of upgrading to Windows 10.  There is also the issue of software that may not run on Windows 10.  We already have to use a virtual desktop running an older version of Windows for some software as that is a cheaper option than trying to make it work on newer versions of Windows.  

I just hope that when they do upgrade they go for the 64 bit version and then upgrade the PC's with more RAM as only having 4GB sucks

1 hour ago, cossieuk said:

They have opted to pay for continued support .  Well this is costly it gives another 3 years to spread the cost of upgrading to Windows 10.  There is also the issue of software that may not run on Windows 10.  We already have to use a virtual desktop running an older version of Windows for some software as that is a cheaper option than trying to make it work on newer versions of Windows.  

I just hope that when they do upgrade they go for the 64 bit version and then upgrade the PC's with more RAM as only having 4GB sucks

Sounds like it's a work environment that's more in favor of cutting costs than getting stuff done =/

I would (generally speaking) expect most of the older software to just work on 10, unless it's doing some really insecure things (like some of the XP era and older software does).

I'm also hoping that Microsoft outright discontinues x86 architecture on future client SKUs, as it stopped producing x86 Server SKUs a very long time ago.