LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Papi

COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Every state without stay-at-home order had increase in coronavirus cases over the past week. Up 205% in SD, 82% in IA, 74% in NE, 60% in AR and 53% in OK. Due to lack of testing these counts are low.  And POTUS is on twitter egging protesters on with taunts of "liberation" and calling people who show up for mass gatherings as "very responsible".  The U.S. is fucked as long as that idiot-in-chief is in the oval office.

30 minutes ago, Papi said:

Every state without stay-at-home order had increase in coronavirus cases over the past week. Up 205% in SD, 82% in IA, 74% in NE, 60% in AR and 53% in OK. Due to lack of testing these counts are low.  And POTUS is on twitter egging protesters on with taunts of "liberation" and calling people who show up for mass gatherings as "very responsible".  The U.S. is fucked as long as that idiot-in-chief is in the oval office.

He only cares about getting the economy going again as that is what he has based his whole presidency on and if people have to die so the DOW goes up again he is fine with that 

I was really surprised to see gyms included in Phase One as being able to open assuming all other criteria in that phase are met.  Then I saw an article that POTUS had a call from one of his donors who owns the SoulCycle/Equinox gym franchises and it all made sense.  It's not about safety or science, it's about who sucks up the most.

I miss going to the gym most of all the things I can't do right now, but there's no way I'm going back even if they open here.  It's like walking into a giant petri dish.

49 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

A Trump economic adviser is calling those protesting the lock down modern day Rosa Parks.  I dont get how people can be so dumb 

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a32195452/stephen-moore-trump-protesters-rosa-parks/

That is the same dude that had to withdraw his name for the head of the Federal Reserve Board because some stupid statements he made came to light.  Like this gem, "not a good thing that black women are making more than black men.”  

10 hours ago, warspeech said:

It's not about safety or science, it's about who sucks up the most.

That was the same way he approached governors asking for federal assistance. He wasn't going to help them unless they stopped saying mean things about him. Everything he's done has been for the sake of infamy so he can get the attention he craves. If it's a choice between helping US citizens or his ego, the people can go get fucked every time.

Stories from Japan: take this with a fair amount of salt, because it's unverified right now.

Long story short, Japan makes it extremely difficult for foreigners (and possibly natives) to get tested for COVID-19 and is currently using a disused building to test people in secret if they push hard enough.

On 4/13/2020 at 11:56 AM, Doro said:

Welp, the US tried, it really did, but it couldn't overcome the head start the EU had. But since it has quadrupled its cases in two weeks, compared to the EU's doubled cases in the same time, the US could catch up in about a week if it can maintain the same rate.

But at least the world mortality rate is starting to drop down, as the delayed recoveries start to pour in. I'd guess it will settle to around 4% by the end.

image.png.7ad04d82edb8eec74c5a49b36936c3ff.png

Not far off now. Looks like there wasn't much of a decrease in the global mortality rate though, which is unfortunate.

We're now at the stage where this virus is beating lowest estimates of fatalities for the North American swine flu back in 2009. The range for that was between 151,700 and 575,400. That was with 1,632,710 confirmed cases, so chances are the estimated deaths for COVID-19 are already well above that.

However, there's that flaw in recording of deaths, at least in the UK, in that they count anyone who dies while infected as a statistic for the virus, regardless of whether it actually killed them or not. The UK is currently on estimates of 20,000 deaths since this began, but in a normal year there's something like 40,000 deaths a month anyway. The number of those who would normally be a part of those 40k but were written off as a COVID-19 related death is unknown, but there's likely to be a large amount of overlap.

It will only be later death tolls after this crisis that will reveal it. If the monthly average during the crisis gets above that 40k average, and then followed by months of lower than 40k (since there's fewer people in the population of expected deaths), it will show that there was significant overlap. But if it's higher than returns to 40k, then people who died were additional fatalities. I'm leaning more towards the former being the case. That is assuming this crisis does end and doesn't just become another part of daily life, like most potentially fatal diseases out there.

Edit: corrected the image, I'd shifted things around on the spreadsheet and it ended up with a formula referencing a blank cell instead.

In the Netherlands the mortality rate is normally around 3.000 a week, Corona counted deaths are around 1.000 and the real mortality is around 5.000, so the real number of corona deaths is around twice as high as those who are 'counted' as corona-deaths.

I expect that after Corona those numbers will be lower than normal for probably 1-3 years, because a large group of those who died of Corona would have died anyway in the coming years.

1 hour ago, Thrabath said:

In the Netherlands the mortality rate is normally around 3.000 a week, Corona counted deaths are around 1.000 and the real mortality is around 5.000, so the real number of corona deaths is around twice as high as those who are 'counted' as corona-deaths.

This is key, imo. People are making a big deal about over counting deaths but there's plenty dying that aren't in the official counts. I read home deaths in NYC are far higher than normal but none are official Covid-19 deaths because they aren't tested.

Belgium steals the lead from Algeria & Hungary joins the over 10% party.

image.jpeg.d6aba3276ca8397250aaa7e0c0a76ca7.jpeg

eventually someone will get a decent site and or vlog that has generic year over year death rates that highlights this end of 2019 and first quarter 2020 anomaly.  those claiming it is a normal flu and pneumonia cycle are off by a considerable margin.

for those arguing this IS just a normal flu cycle...  (not myself, obviously)  then there is zero reason for any social distancing, face masks, lock-downs, or need to worry.

there is also zero reason to move manufacturing industry and critical supply chains out of china, or blame the W.H.O. for setting the tone at the end of December 2019 and entire month of January... and even February;  that almost entirely everyone on all political spectrum... except for Taiwan and Singapore, echoed.

in other news... apparently Germany is sending China a bill for damages.  big if true.

1 hour ago, LasraelLarson said:

Belgium steals the lead from Algeria & Hungary joins the over 10% party.

image.jpeg.d6aba3276ca8397250aaa7e0c0a76ca7.jpeg

eventually someone will get a decent site and or vlog that has generic year over year death rates that highlights this end of 2019 and first quarter 2020 anomaly.  those claiming it is a normal flu and pneumonia cycle are off by a considerable margin.

for those arguing this IS just a normal flu cycle...  (not myself, obviously)  then there is zero reason for any social distancing, face masks, lock-downs, or need to worry.

there is also zero reason to move manufacturing industry and critical supply chains out of china, or blame the W.H.O. for setting the tone at the end of December 2019 and entire month of January... and even February;  that almost entirely everyone on all political spectrum... except for Taiwan and Singapore, echoed.

in other news... apparently Germany is sending China a bill for damages.  big if true.

One reason for Belgium being so high is they are counting people who have died outwith hospitals were it is suspected that they had Covid-19 but not been tested and confirmed.

20 hours ago, cossieuk said:

One reason for Belgium being so high is they are counting people who have died outwith hospitals were it is suspected that they had Covid-19 but not been tested and confirmed.

well, seeing the numbers in other countries who don't count those cases and comparing them to normal mortality numbers I think the Belgian numbers are closer to the truth than in most other countries.

Some more information about the deaths in England and Wales, Scotland and NI Ireland will have their own figure separately .  The overall death rate for the week ending 10/04/2020 was 18500 which is up around 8000 on a normal week.  Of those deaths around 6200 were covid-19 related.  So it looks like deaths for other sources are also up.  This might have to do with people not seeking medical treatment when they should thinking that they should not being going to A & E just now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52361519

Also the deaths this year are up 10000 compared to the average over the past 5 year.  With the difference being the same amount as the Covid-19 deaths, which is perhaps a coincidence 

_111872166_optimised-ons_total_deaths_ba

this was published on January 31 2020 and edited on February 14 2020 and it has held up amazingly well:

Logistical and Technical Exploration into the Origins of the Wuhan Strain of Coronavirus (COVID-19)

SOURCE: https://harvardtothebighouse.com/2020/01/31/logistical-and-technical-analysis-of-the-origins-of-the-wuhan-coronavirus-2019-ncov/

and the follow up article from March 23 2020 is also really good:

about the COVID-19 pandemic and serial passage gain-of-function research

Source: https://harvardtothebighouse.com/2020/03/23/no-monkey-ever-reheated-a-frozen-burrito-what-the-expanse-tells-us-about-the-covid-19-pandemic/

in addition to the 2 great reads above, there is also an additional and much more (understandably) heated exposure of Nature Magazines heavy editing at Chinas behest:  LINK

which is why i am also recommending again, if you have not already:

On 4/15/2020 at 2:20 PM, LasraelLarson said:

this is long...  but worth the watch:

"serial passage gain of function"  & "Human Immunodeficiency Viral Vector Pseudotyped with the Spike Envelope of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus"... 

are absolutely critical factors when examining the molecular genetics & biochemistry of this new virus!  any search engine will do.

There's a story going around that hydroxychloroquine was tested by some US medical centres and was shown to actually increase mortality rates. It also mentions that a French study had to stop using it on COVID-19 patients, as they developed arrhythmia, and were otherwise showing no real difference in the drug's effectiveness.

However, as neither of these are clinical studies, and neither have been peer-reviewed yet, they're not strong enough evidence either way, simply interesting developments. Currently, the only clinical study I'm aware of has been done by a Chinese team who found it didn't help at all. Similarly, another Chinese clinical study on remdesivir has found it has no benefit when it comes to Bat Soup Flu (though this is also awaiting peer-review). Obviously, all of them need more and more clinical studies across different nations to try to rule out political tampering, but right now it's not looking good for pre-existing drugs.

And when it comes to a potential vaccine, there's an Oxford team working on one, the head of which has said it would likely only be a temporary immunity, if one can be made at all, and that a natural immunity from regular exposure would probably be less effective due to the weak fingerprint the virus leaves on the immune system, which makes the UK's aim of using anti-bodies from recovered cases a short-term, inefficient treatment.

The world needs to prepare itself for this to become a standard disease like all the others that make regular visits, less of an annual flu and more of a biennial corona, where lockdowns aren't going to be viable any more. A change in hygiene practices and a focus on more healthy lifestyles is in order for a lot of places, but it will likely be an opportunity for those at the top to take a few more liberties with their totalitarian tip toe.

I've been reading about how blood clots are a significant factor leading to Corona virus deaths. Even when anti clotting agents are administered, they have little affect on reducing the blood clots. Autopsies are showing blot clots in organs and vascular systems leading from 20% to 30% of the deaths. One article I read was about amputations, because the blood clot thinners weren't getting the desired result. Doctors have no clue why the virus is causing this.

It's late here. I'll see if I can get some links tomorrow about this.

9 minutes ago, Splay said:

It's late here. I'll see if I can get some links tomorrow about this.

I got you, fam.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-19-patients-blood-clots/story?id=70131612

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-blood-clot-complications-in-severe-covid-19-treatment-debate-2020-4?op=1&r=US&IR=T

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/blood-clots-coronavirus-tpa/

There's been stories of ventilators not helping and attempts to increase oxygenation failing, having blockages being the true cause makes sense.

2 hours ago, Doro said:

a potential vaccine, there's an Oxford team working on one, the head of which has said it would likely only be a temporary immunity, if one can be made at all, and that a natural immunity from regular exposure would probably be less effective due to the weak fingerprint the virus leaves on the immune system, which makes the UK's aim of using anti-bodies from recovered cases a short-term, inefficient treatment.

yeah vaccine is lost cause from my view.  all current 7 corona-virus have no vaccine.  this latest chimera iteration is already mutating fairly swiftly.  vaccine production will be to slow to catch up.

then there is the aspect that of the virus attacks on the actual immune system in ways similar to other immunodeficiency disorders, of which i am not aware of a vaccine for any in that category either.

and yeah antibodies may address the flu-like aspects but on the whole do nothing regarding the aspects of immune compromise and without honest examination of the cleavage mechanism in the spike protein (the actual mechanism of infection, or entry into a hosts cells)...   i can foresee vaccinations actually making things MUCH worse.

2 hours ago, Doro said:

There's a story going around that hydroxychloroquine was tested by some US medical centres and was shown to actually increase mortality rates. It also mentions that a French study had to stop using it on COVID-19 patients, as they developed arrhythmia, and were otherwise showing no real difference in the drug's effectiveness.

once a patient has a viral load that is causing organ failure, or lung collapse where a ventilator is needed...  the window for using an ionophore and a replicase inhibitor is almost entirely closed.  it needs to happen BEFORE a patient has deteriorated to that point.

patient fatality rate from ventilators is already in the vicinity of 90%+

2 hours ago, Doro said:

on remdesivir

the Ebola drug...

this one is much newer and the patents around it are an interesting study.  best i can tell... not exactly as clear cut as hydroxychloroquine...  is that remdesivir drug also interferes with viral replication (halting it).  beyond that, not much technical information is available for public view regarding this VERY pricey drug.

it is interesting that there doesn't seem to be remotely the degree of (press) scrutiny over this drug, like the MUCH cheaper hydroxychloroquine...  i am sure it is an insignificant detail...

also interesting the number of AIDS (& immune deficiency) related drugs being tested over this new...  "Flu"  almost as if the immune vector aspects of

🦠CoronaChan🦠 are actually known.

2 hours ago, Doro said:

The world needs to prepare itself for this to become a standard disease like all the others that make regular visits, less of an annual flu and more of a biennial corona, where lockdowns aren't going to be viable any more.

ACKtually...  this chimera may eventually play itself out.  not before it has wreaked havoc first of course...

many are talking in terms of the Spanish Flu (had 3) and waves....  i don't see it happening that way at all.

this particular beast is likely to march steadily along until nature (naturally) mutates this aberration, out of existence.  exactly how long that will take, i cannot say for certain, because it is likely this Virus was passed through animal hosts rapidly, giving the artificial aspects of it...   more resilience.

but the death rate (of infected) is going to be much higher than 4% and closer to the 12% range.  infections will continue through this spring, summer, fall & winter & are likely to continue well beyond that.  exactly how many years...  can't say for certain as it is entirely dependent on how much shelf life this 'Chimera" gained from rapid transition through animal hosts since 2015 until the present.

if i had to guess, maybe 15 years.  regardless, the media better stop fucking around being partisan because just like AIDS...  therapeutics (replicase inhibition) will be a huge factor in mitigating the total damage over time, this virus does.

2 hours ago, Doro said:

it will likely be an opportunity for those at the top to take a few more liberties with their totalitarian tip toe.

the blind will lead the blind...  into a ditch.  what is truly disgusting, are the ones who will say, "oh what a nice ditch."

11401635_covid19chinesedoctorsturndark69

Chinese doctors’ skin turns dark after coronavirus recovery

42 minutes ago, Splay said:

I've been reading about how blood clots are a significant factor leading to Corona virus deaths. Even when anti clotting agents are administered, they have little affect on reducing the blood clots. Autopsies are showing blot clots in organs and vascular systems leading from 20% to 30% of the deaths. One article I read was about amputations, because the blood clot thinners weren't getting the desired result. Doctors have no clue why the virus is causing this.

so many oddities RE: this virus

bet it is related to the issues with hemorrhagic shock in organs beyond the lungs...  or lack of oxygenation in the blood due to failures.

low blood oxygen stimulates the immune system, and in the case of this new virus would simultaneously increase production through replicase of viral load...  beyond the lungs.

which again may mean in the long term, viral antibodies will mean fuck all.  AKA: no vaccine.  EVER.

Looks like the greatest hope against this virus is to inject disinfectant in people and blast them with UV light hoping for it to pass through their bodies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52407177

Not necessarily from a doctor, but certainly from someone that's "like a person that has a good... you know what" (helpful he pointed to his head when he forgot the word "brain"). Seems like he got confused when another guy earlier said viruses can usually be killed off with UV light and disinfectant on surfaces, and since Trump's the best at viruses and knows more than anyone else, he knows it's a good idea to just bleach a patient's insides or hope to tan their organs.

JNcQy207PgaT.gif

5 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

so many oddities RE: this virus

54% of asymptomatic cases and 79% of COVID-19 symptomatic cases on the Diamond Princess had ground-glass abnormalities in their CT scans.

Source: https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/ryct.2020200110

34 minutes ago, Doro said:

Looks like the greatest hope against this virus is to inject disinfectant in people and blast them with UV light hoping for it to pass through their bodies.

heh.  this is a dead end.  (maybe just a troll)

intense UV light will kill viruses, but there is no practical way i am aware of achieving this...  inside a persons body/lungs.

irradiating via a type of dialysis, won't work as that only treats the blood...  viral load can still hang out in the lymph nodes or other part of the body, so it is a big timely wasted effort.  Uughe dead end.

as for the disinfectant...  washing surfaces and cloths, etc. yeah...   inside the body/lungs?  intravenous of some sort of unheard of (new?)...  oxy-cleaner?  seems like another dead end.  gonna give that one a big nope as well.

these are more new age-y type things i would expect from a Marianne Williamson.

regardless, no defense from me on this one.  ;)

Well, maybe the only 3 ways out of this shitstorm is A. accepting it is here and will stay here or B. getting everyone infected asap so that temporary herd immunity arises or C. complete global quarantaine for 4 weeks so it just can's spread.

well, reading that back there is only 1 option, and that is A because no politician/ policy maker will chose for option B. and C. won't work because it only works if 99% of the population joins and the 1% that doesn't go into quarantaine (to make sure utilities stay available) adhere to strict hygiene measures and keep distance from each other.

So still our only 'hope' is a vaccin/medicine...

The amount of effort that people are putting into investigating hydroxychloroquine (sp?) because the moron in chief was told it might work on Fox News is disheartening.

Of course, the latest idiotic thing he said was speculation about injecting disinfectant into your body. Lysol had to issue a statement.

This quote from H L Mencken fits: On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

Oh, except is just a troll so it's all good.

7 hours ago, Doro said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52407177

Not necessarily from a doctor, but certainly from someone that's "like a person that has a good... you know what" (helpful he pointed to his head when he forgot the word "brain"). Seems like he got confused when another guy earlier said viruses can usually be killed off with UV light and disinfectant on surfaces, and since Trump's the best at viruses and knows more than anyone else, he knows it's a good idea to just bleach a patient's insides or hope to tan their organs.

JNcQy207PgaT.gif

You know some people will try this because of what he has said and either end up very ill in hospital, where they are more likely to get Covid-19., or they will die.

7 hours ago, cossieuk said:

Look at the date this was posted.

At this point, they might as well make up stories that Trump is going to suggest human-trafficking to harvest clean lungs as a solution. Chances are he'll end up saying it. He's like the monkey with a typewriter thing where they'll type out Shakespeare given enough time; the more they put him up behind that podium in front of the cameras, the higher the chance he'll waffle on and say anything that pops up in his empty head.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52411706

I'm amazed someone in his team didn't try to guide him away from rambling about it at that point. They need a safeword to let him know when to shut up. Something he won't ever hear normally. Maybe "here's the truth".