LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Papi

COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

A Florida Governor finally has enough of the press BS and rips them a new one over their partisan coverage and narrative crafting that we saw waaaaay to much in the Trump White House briefings.

in retrospect...   i wonder how much this NY happening will come into play in other hot spots globally?

AP count: Over 4,300 virus patients sent to NY nursing homes

seems to be a factor in Canadas hotspot: Quebec.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/covid-19-quebec-april-12-1.5530217

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-coroner-health-authorities-and-police-launch-investigations-into/

been a lot of news lately about senior care...  or lack thereof.

The nursing home thing is completely deplorable, and it puts people (like my Grandma in NJ) at risk that really shouldn't be at risk to begin with - and she's also going stir crazy because her nursing home has been on lockdown for a while now as we are getting completely random phone calls from her as she's running out of things to do.

5 hours ago, LasraelLarson said:

in retrospect...   i wonder how much this NY happening will come into play in other hot spots globally?

Apparently, we had the exact same thing back in the UK. Old people were taken to hospital, discovered they had the virus, then chucked back into nursing homes out of fear they'd take up too many beds in the hospitals that others needed, only to realise later that it was just killing more old people anyway and the hospitals were barely over half capacity the entire time.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/15/discharging-coronavirus-patients-care-homes-madness-government/

The very people the UK was forced into an unprecedented nationwide house arrest for, to make sure the NHS could look after them, were told to fuck off and die in a place where they'd take more residents with them. We built extra temporary hospitals to cope with it, mostly unused but fuck it old people can't take a bed! And the trained seals still clap every Thursday to show their support for the NHS, who are so rushed off their feet with half the number of patients that they spend most of their time filming stupid TikTok videos.

This whole thing has been a combination of incompetence and totalitarian malevolence, and they sure as hell couldn't pass up the opportunity to push the latter.

1 hour ago, Doro said:

And the trained seals still clap every Thursday to show their support for the NHS

every Thursday?!!!  here in Vancouver Canada every GODDAMN night at 7 PM for 3-5 minutes they go off.... since like early March...  its May 22.

this ritual of the idiots can't die in a fire fast enough.  should have ended 3 weeks tops.    ...and nightly.  8)7

1 hour ago, Doro said:

This whole thing has been a combination of incompetence and totalitarian malevolence, and they sure as hell couldn't pass up the opportunity to push the latter.

many things have been exposed.  here is hoping enough have learned some valuable lessons as to avoid repeats...   those who learn nothing from history are doomed to repeat it.

as for the push of the latter...  that is some Saul Alinsky 101 in action.  "never let a crisis go to waste."

that is one thing the world has no shortage of...  opportunists.

So Dominic Cummings, Boris Johnson's top advisor, drove from London to County Durham, some 270 miles, with his wife and 4 year old child when he and his wife were both infected to stay with family as the needed help with the child.  Anyone else doing this would have to go, but the government are defending him saying he did nothing wrong, even though the rules say if you have the virus then do not leave your house.

His wife wrote an article in The Spectator about their London lock down even though they were not in London.

21 hours ago, cossieuk said:

His wife wrote an article in The Spectator about their London lock down even though they were not in London.

I have been thinking...  (warning bells ringing) ... What does the leadership of  the top three countries in the world (as far as number of deaths from Covid is concerned) has in common?
They are idiots? It's the first answer that springs to mind. First, but not the best - Johnson is NOT an idiot. 
The real answer is - all three - Trump, Bolsonaro, Johnson have truth and reality in disregard. What they want and will - that's reality for them.
Think about it when you elect your new leaders. Or count the coffins. 

2 hours ago, cossieuk said:

These figures are horrifying

EZHgn5AX0AA3AWr?format=jpg&name=large

I'd like to see a comparison between those "excess" deaths and deaths attributed to Covid-19 in each of those countries. For example, what is the "official" death count for Covid-19 in the UK?

Edit: found it. Something like 38000 deaths from Covid-19 in UK. But excess deaths of 60000. This is why I'm very sceptical when someone says Covid-19 deaths are being overcounted. Sure, some of the excess deaths are due to suicide, cancer and other things caused by pandemic (over?-re-) action but not all of them.

Edited by FundinStrongarm

12 hours ago, cossieuk said:

These figures are horrifying

And confusing when you look at breakdown by sex. Deaths between males and females every year are roughly equal (which is itself interesting, since more men die from things like cancer, suicides, or even workplace accidents, so there's something killing women at a greater rate that must "balance" it out), and yet this year the split between is still 50/50 so far. That's despite 60% or more of COVID-19 deaths coming from men. Since women also tend to live longer than men, you'd think there would be more killed by the virus that overwhelmingly kills the elderly, but seemingly not. The poor health of male pensioners seems to be the biggest risk for them. So what's pumping the number for women? It should be closer to about 55/45 (under the flawed assumption that most of excess are because of the virus), but it's equal. Since it's not the virus, what is it that's killing older women at such a disproportionate rate?

The government has a lot to answer for, especially now it's getting clearer among the general public that roughly half of all excess deaths are due to the fear-mongering and lockdown, and also potentially responsible for an unknown number of those in the expected deaths if it turns out rates have dropped for other causes of death during the same period for young people.

You'd expect in the older population more females to die, because we have more elderly females, since their life expectation is higher; 

You'd expect more males because smoking is a risk-factor and more males smoke --> maybe more males with lung cancer who have died?

You'd expect more females because they have a higher risk of getting Covid, because we have more females in healthcare/elderly care

on the other hand, they have more protection there, so they should have less chance of getting it because of the protection.

So I've got no idea ;)

Obvious racist post deleted. @LasraelLarson if I see any more of that shit again, that will be your last day on this site.

So yeah this is a thing...

It's like social distancing went right out the window the moment the riots started happening....

Yeah, I don't understand why they suddenly stop being so strict with measures; Especially because there are enough possibilities which are more covid-19-proof to express your anger and the funeral will be live-streamed if I understand it, so no reason to be there if you aren't family.

In the Netherlands we have lower than expected deaths for the 3rd week in a row according to our national statistics centre.

The Office for National Statistics has said that the undiagnosed  COVID 19 is the most likely cause of the majority of excess deaths

2 hours ago, cossieuk said:

The Office for National Statistics has said that the undiagnosed  COVID 19 is the most likely cause of the majority of excess deaths

Makes sense to me.

21 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

So yeah this is a thing...

It's like social distancing went right out the window the moment the riots started happening....

IMO, once everyone said mass grouped protesting is okay (not the riots, obviously), then the case for Covid-19 lockdowns is finished.

3 hours ago, FundinStrongarm said:

IMO, once everyone said mass grouped protesting is okay (not the riots, obviously), then the case for Covid-19 lockdowns is finished.

So let's see if that theory makes sense in about two weeks time....

So guess what, the riots caused a Covid spike... who would have guessed.

And then this is brought to the light....

Everything's getting back to normal here in Japan now. There's still restrictions on who can come into the country, some tourist sites are closed, a few bigger restaurants have put signs on every other seat to stop them being used, and supermarkets have bottles of hand sanitiser outside and some plastic screens up at tills, but other than that it's business as usual. There's castles, shrines, and streets that were absolutely packed the last few times I've been here, but now they're so empty that I can wander around and take my time without issue. Their equivalent of pubs are lively but never full so you can always get a seat. Accommodation has become dirt cheap because nobody is travelling here. Even the airports for internal flights are so empty that you basically get VIP treatment the moment you enter. It's fantastic.

Funnily enough, it seems that the more US influence is involved in a business, the more ridiculous the procedures in place. Apple stores force people to queue outside that wrap around the block, and temperature scan people's foreheads before they can join. Things like Universal Studios parks are closed to anyone but local natives, except local natives don't bother with it unless they happen to work there, so it's pointless. Some American fast-food chains are getting outcompeted by local equivalents who have no arbitrary restrictions on customers. It's actually funny seeing the overreaction of Western companies compared to the general apathy of the Japs.

Meanwhile, countries in actual lockdowns are doing so much worse with much more irritating restrictions in place. So much for needing to sacrifice the economy to "save lives", instead they nuked both with no beneficial outcome

5 hours ago, cossieuk said:

I have no words

He's clearly a moron.

15 hours ago, cossieuk said:

I have no words

I've got a few. This is how I imagine it went down, based on his (lack of) character and previous interactions with people, and how similar people I've met have behaved:

He likely has said it completely seriously to people in his administration who then looked at him like "you're a fucking idiot" and didn't put it in place (apparently a common situation in the White House) and he got annoyed about it. Someone daring to prod his ego? That's not allowed with Tiny Trump in the big boy seat, which is why he then took it later to the public saying "we were only getting so many positive results because we were testing so much" (he genuinely believed that was a valid defence for his mishandling of the virus). In his little mind, he was expecting vindication, but he got backlash from that as well. Fuck, well, it's mostly the media and his enemies that are behind it, it's still a good idea, surely?

So he brings the same thing up at his rally, with all his supporters there ready to get behind anything stupid he says, but framed just enough as a joke in case there's even the slightest chance that he gets a bad third reaction from his stupid idea. Again, counter to his belief, a bad reaction, but luckily he was only mucking around this time so it doesn't count. His ego, while shaken by the previous events, is still safe because he went in only half-serious. Cue his blind arse-lickers on social media acting like he was always joking and was never serious, when the likelihood is this was a cautious third attempt at support so that he could finally turn around to whoever it was that's stuck in his craw and say "see, not stupid, they all agree". Unfortunately, it failed.

With this in mind, I'll bet he'll keep going with the "joke". He'll say it a couple more times to really try to make people think it was always a joke, like trying to re-squeak a chair to show it wasn't a fart (even though it was), and if he never gets support his fanboys will say it's to troll the libs. Win/win for Tiny Trump in his deranged, petty mind.

19 hours ago, Doro said:

I've got a few. This is how I imagine it went down, based on his (lack of) character and previous interactions with people, and how similar people I've met have behaved:

He likely has said it completely seriously to people in his administration who then looked at him like "you're a fucking idiot" and didn't put it in place (apparently a common situation in the White House) and he got annoyed about it. Someone daring to prod his ego? That's not allowed with Tiny Trump in the big boy seat, which is why he then took it later to the public saying "we were only getting so many positive results because we were testing so much" (he genuinely believed that was a valid defence for his mishandling of the virus). In his little mind, he was expecting vindication, but he got backlash from that as well. Fuck, well, it's mostly the media and his enemies that are behind it, it's still a good idea, surely?

So he brings the same thing up at his rally, with all his supporters there ready to get behind anything stupid he says, but framed just enough as a joke in case there's even the slightest chance that he gets a bad third reaction from his stupid idea. Again, counter to his belief, a bad reaction, but luckily he was only mucking around this time so it doesn't count. His ego, while shaken by the previous events, is still safe because he went in only half-serious. Cue his blind arse-lickers on social media acting like he was always joking and was never serious, when the likelihood is this was a cautious third attempt at support so that he could finally turn around to whoever it was that's stuck in his craw and say "see, not stupid, they all agree". Unfortunately, it failed.

With this in mind, I'll bet he'll keep going with the "joke". He'll say it a couple more times to really try to make people think it was always a joke, like trying to re-squeak a chair to show it wasn't a fart (even though it was), and if he never gets support his fanboys will say it's to troll the libs. Win/win for Tiny Trump in his deranged, petty mind.

Sounds about right.