LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Papi

COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

I heard from my friend today.  He tested negative for COVID-19. He has been really sick for over two weeks now and today was a day he was finally feeling well enough to talk on the phone for a few minutes.  I could tell from his voice how weak he still is. 

My immediate area has just under 1000 positive cases and the last I heard there were 11 deaths.  Our stay at home orders just got extended to the end of the month.

There are 2,800 confirmed cases in two central areas less than 100 miles from me. Fortunate for me, I always limit my direct contact with others, as much as possible. Especially more so now days.

this was from March 10 2020. and explains the use of the very cheap and long in use hydroxychloroquine, not luxurious or expensive new pharma, being used in treating this new chimera.  you may find it interesting...

does the British medical system have anything up its sleeve, before they have to put him on ventilation...?

34 minutes ago, LasraelLarson said:

does the British medical system have anything up its sleeve, before they have to put him on ventilation.

One second, just getting my tinfoil... that's if they want him to survive at all. Considering he's a figurehead now for Brexit's triumph, it would be the perfect opportunity to off him. Personally, I see checking in at a British public hospital as near enough a death sentence regardless, and not just because it can't cope with the population but because it's always been a Petri dish of hospitalising illnesses by its very nature. Might as well be a pest house at this point.

Side note with a positive virus-related thing that just happened to me this morning:  The owner of my apartment complex notified me that they're rolling back the rent increase that was in my lease renewal for the next year.  My rent isn't going to go up this next year after all. 

20 hours ago, warspeech said:

Side note with a positive virus-related thing that just happened to me this morning:  The owner of my apartment complex notified me that they're rolling back the rent increase that was in my lease renewal for the next year.  My rent isn't going to go up this next year after all.

At least that's something. I guess if landlords have already paid off their properties, they've got more flexibility with costs. Maybe that should be something implemented in the future, where people can't rent a place still on a mortgage just to make profit. If there's going to be a lot of changes to society because of this whole thing, fingers crossed it's more helpful measures.

On another side note, there's a conspiracy going around that 5G and coronavirus is linked in some way, be it suppressing the immune system, triggering dormant viruses/symptoms, or even wirelessly transmitting the virus directly into people. There's stories that some 5G towers have been burned down in the UK because a few believed this stuff, but it's more likely they just didn't want a garish tower being added to their neighbourhood, since 5G needs more towers than 4G did.

And another one: animals are all infected. It was mentioned a few times on places I visit that wildlife will spread it, but since the whole "zookeeper gives tiger COVID-19" story, it's ramping up. Specifically that migratory birds are going to be carrying it back and forth between the northern and southern hemispheres.

5 hours ago, Doro said:

At least that's something. I guess if landlords have already paid off their properties, they've got more flexibility with costs. Maybe that should be something implemented in the future, where people can't rent a place still on a mortgage just to make profit. If there's going to be a lot of changes to society because of this whole thing, fingers crossed it's more helpful measures.

Huh? Not quite following. You can't rent a place unless you've paid off the mortgage?

8 hours ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Huh? Not quite following. You can't rent a place unless you've paid off the mortgage?

Yeah, like no more "buy to let" exploitation. It's a thing here in the UK that's driven up housing costs as landlords grab tons of houses cheap then use tenants to pay the mortgage and then some.

20 hours ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Yes, you can.  That's fairly common in the US.

On 4/8/2020 at 9:56 PM, Doro said:

Yeah, like no more "buy to let" exploitation. It's a thing here in the UK that's driven up housing costs as landlords grab tons of houses cheap then use tenants to pay the mortgage and then some.

I see. I disagree this would be a good policy.

Back to Covid-19.

On 4/2/2020 at 8:57 PM, cossieuk said:

So we now have over 1 million confirmed cases world wide and over 50000 deaths.  It took less than a week to go from 500000 cases to a million.

SO the number of deaths has doubled in the past 8 days, with over 1.6 million confirmed cases.  This is a fatality rate of over 6% in confirmed cases.

40 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

Who wants to tell him that antibiotics dont work on a virus 

I want to ask if Trump actually said this. But... Ya know, I know the the guy is that stupid.

To think the guy is a world leader. WTF!

3 hours ago, cossieuk said:

Who wants to tell him that antibiotics dont work on a virus 

To be fair, it sounds like he's talking about MRSA, but I don't want to sit through 2 hours of his idiot rambling to find the actual context of it or why he even brought it up. Chances are it's just another random thought that popped up and he went off on another irrelevant tangent like always, trying to pad out his empty answers.

7 hours ago, Bohemond said:

Guess you've never encountered a simile before.

He just used a common misconception getting it wrong again.  Many people want their doctor to give them antibiotics when they wont work.

Three hundred thousand and thirty four, nine hundred and seventy four thousand tests.  What? Now we know why we have not seen her before now on the daily briefings

Three hundred thousand and thirty four, nine hundred and seventy four thousand tests.  What? Now we know why we have not seen her before now on the daily briefings

She must have been getting notes from Diane Abbott.

But there's something I must be missing about these tests. I keep seeing people asking for more tests, and the media keeps focusing on test numbers, but what exactly is the outcome for positive results for the average person? Are they put into a special quarantine or chucked straight into hospital, because that would seem a bit unnecessary at this point. Are they just advised to self-isolate, because I thought that was already the advice for anyone feeling a bit ill. They're obviously not going for the whole track and trace thing since it's too late for that. And it's not like getting tested will cure them, either. So what's with the government/media focus on tests? Feels like they're using them as a sort of distraction for the general masses, to make it look like something is being done.

Meanwhile, in Wales, the dystopian police have arrested a lad for daring to be caught outside for the 6th time. Him driving around when barely anyone is outside is considered a risk to the community, probably the exhaust fumes carry it, right? This likely means they're stopping everyone they see outside to interrogate them about what they're doing in free air. "Oi, 0.1% of the country has a cold, you got your outside loicence?"

some random data (deaths per million):

image.thumb.png.d0df04c92df4f37a983d3c96b0404f1b.png

image.thumb.png.acda377b9226ede37005c7d9f2c0187b.png

it is interesting that before March (roughly the 11th) this was predominantly a China thing....  which i didn't include in the above, because the reported numbers are false by a gross magnitude.

also...

Taiwan is owning this:

8 hours ago, Doro said:

She must have been getting notes from Diane Abbott.

But there's something I must be missing about these tests. I keep seeing people asking for more tests, and the media keeps focusing on test numbers, but what exactly is the outcome for positive results for the average person? Are they put into a special quarantine or chucked straight into hospital, because that would seem a bit unnecessary at this point. Are they just advised to self-isolate, because I thought that was already the advice for anyone feeling a bit ill. They're obviously not going for the whole track and trace thing since it's too late for that. And it's not like getting tested will cure them, either. So what's with the government/media focus on tests? Feels like they're using them as a sort of distraction for the general masses, to make it look like something is being done.

Meanwhile, in Wales, the dystopian police have arrested a lad for daring to be caught outside for the 6th time. Him driving around when barely anyone is outside is considered a risk to the community, probably the exhaust fumes carry it, right? This likely means they're stopping everyone they see outside to interrogate them about what they're doing in free air. "Oi, 0.1% of the country has a cold, you got your outside loicence?"

If that had been Abbott, the press would be having a field day, but they are not talking about it.

More tests allows us to see the true extent of the number of cases and the number of deaths.  The are a number of people especially in care homes that have died from suspected Covid-19 but are not being tested so their deaths are not included in the official figures.  Testing will also allow us to see when the number or new cases is falling and when it maybe possible to start lifting some of the current restrictions safely without risking a second wave 

11 hours ago, cossieuk said:

Why do people have such a hard time following such a simple rule

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-52261055

I don't blame them. London is a shithole, Devon is comfy, and being locked up in your own home indiscriminately is ridiculous. If they want to choose to be outside, they should be perfectly free to do so. Who knows how long this totalitarian imprisonment is supposed to last? Best to start civil disobedience now before it's too late.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:56 AM, Doro said:

I've realised I've been making a mistake, and that the US isn't top dog in this... it's the EU. Those sneaky globalists hiding themselves behind individual member state figures.

Again, the mortality column will be more relevant as this progresses, but for now it's only really any use to compare to the world figures (obviously, I've removed China from this because their unreliable figures are throwing everything off).

Give it a week and the US takes over the EU? Definitely before Easter, at least.

image.png

image.png.b4f4e4df7c8e6303d57c3c28d9f7b364.png

Welp, the US tried, it really did, but it couldn't overcome the head start the EU had. But since it has quadrupled its cases in two weeks, compared to the EU's doubled cases in the same time, the US could catch up in about a week if it can maintain the same rate.

But at least the world mortality rate is starting to drop down, as the delayed recoveries start to pour in. I'd guess it will settle to around 4% by the end.