LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Wrath of Winter

All LotRO content including expansions now free through April 30

Interesting public gesture:

https://www.lotro.com/en/friends?fbclid=IwAR30AbfEgKB0E76wjFpfgiDMYew614I7ER9mjyRF7oPNlsIm1o36XBvZ6Js

(and very savvy marketing)

An Important Announcement From Standing Stone Games, LLC.

'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

Here at Standing Stone Games our goal is to bring joy to everyone through our games and we feel that is more important than ever. We are making all our adventures and stories open to everyone through April 30. In addition we will be running extra events for the games.

For Dungeons and Dragons Online:

• All dungeons and raids, including those in expansion packs, are open to everyone through April 30.
  • The Buddy Bonus 5% XP will be active from March 20 through March 29. This will be in addition to the weekend events.
  • Mimic event will be active starting March 26 through April 6.
  • The anniversary event will be active starting March 26 through April 30.

For Lord of the Rings Online:

• All quests, instances, and skirmishes, including those in expansion packs, are open to everyone through April 30.
  • The Curator will be returning starting March 26 through April 30.
  • There will be a 10% virtue XP boost starting on March 26 through April 6.
  • The Baggins' Birthday event will be available March 26 through April 6.

During this time we hope that everyone stays safe. Thank you.

It's a nice gesture, but surely the people still playing either already have that content, or aren't competent enough to be at the point of being able to play that content? They could do some of the old Codemasters live events to perk the ol' spirits up. Balrog in Bree when?

Did Severlin and SSG allow players to connect dots that aren't there?

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?679021-SSG-announcement-regarding-COVID-19

Is it a nice gesture on the part of SSG or is this driven by something else?

The last expansion was released unfinished. Nothing new there. It was released and some would say was overpriced and not a real, full expansion. Was there an uptick after the latest expansion released or was it more of the slow gradual decline? The latest expansion became available about two weeks ago in their store for LP purchases. Did it not sell well?

No where in the link does Severlin mention the direct reason for this change and yet within hours a player makes a direct connect between SSG's announcement and the current pandemic. In the thread SSG people post and neither confirm or deny the thread title as the reason. Some players might ask why would someone question the motive and tell them to stfu, because SSG is great, awesome and care about their player base.

Is it a savvy marketing choice or a last desperate action to survive?

SSG has been since their active development of LOtRO driving players more and more to their ingame store. This sudden change is rather abrupt to accept it on its assumed face value to be born from altruistic reasons. Will players who return engage in impulse buying QoL and consumables? I don't see that taking place. If they return it is because it is free. It is still the broken game it was last week and last year. Being free doesn't change this. Is it another example of how Turbine/SSG take a player value and later diminish it by making changes thereby lessening the value committed by those previous? One point came to my thoughts about this change. If SSG is floundering but not quite yet flotsam and jetsom type debris on the beach of bankrupt gaming developers, will they plead there impending death is due to current real world situations beyond their ability to draw revenue from engaged players? Hmm... I wonder...

• Upvote 1

Even before this announcement the logins have been up.  Oddly a lot more when the expansion was available in the store. 1300+ non-anon at one point today on Evernight. It's creaking.

I'm taking a F2P accnt char I'd given up on a while ago to bash out some content I never had the LP for. I got very tired of LP farming years ago. Have the last two expansions to trudge through as well but the "free" LP gains on the way will get me enough for the next bit of content perhaps.   

SSG did have two item level increases on Lootbox and Coffer/Ember gear in as many weeks, that pleased no one, a distraction? 

A few years ago this pandemic would have been a dream come true for me. Nothing but free time to dedicate to lotro. Now when I see that unused icon on my desktop I throw up in my mouth a little and get angry about how they destroyed the game. 

Does this free to play also include the not so "Legendary" Servers? 

2 hours ago, Altreg01 said:

A few years ago this pandemic would have been a dream come true for me. Nothing but free time to dedicate to lotro. Now when I see that unused icon on my desktop I throw up in my mouth a little and get angry about how they destroyed the game. 

Does this free to play also include the not so "Legendary" Servers? 

That's actually been making me smile recently. Gamers are looking at all these normies in lock-downs and going "this is nothing different". Back in its peak, I could go a month solid without needing to go outside, just wasting time fucking about with friends in LotRO and raiding with my kin. Absolute, mind-numbing bliss. But it was a very different beast then, with a very different community. I wonder just how many people will pick up their old WoW accounts though? That's got to have quite the uptake.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Doro said:

That's actually been making me smile recently. Gamers are looking at all these normies in lock-downs and going "this is nothing different". Back in its peak, I could go a month solid without needing to go outside, just wasting time fucking about with friends in LotRO and raiding with my kin. Absolute, mind-numbing bliss. But it was a very different beast then, with a very different community. I wonder just how many people will pick up their old WoW accounts though? That's got to have quite the uptake.

How many will be getting Disney + in the UK now that it has just launched.

2 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

How many will be getting Disney + in the UK now that it has just launched.

It has? Is it all Disney films now? If so, combined with Netflix's recent addition of Ghibli films, the UK is set.

20 minutes ago, Doro said:

It has? Is it all Disney films now? If so, combined with Netflix's recent addition of Ghibli films, the UK is set.

Disney, Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar and National Geographic.  Also lots of Fox stuff that Disney recently bought including 30 seasons of The Simpsons.  No need to go out for months

On 3/20/2020 at 3:11 PM, cossieuk said:

I have a weeks holiday, so I might play the latest expansion since I havent bought it

I'm doing that with Mordor, just to see the story.  I'm way over-levelled for it, so I just kill stuff to get task items to turn in for rep.  You can use it for the factions in Dale, Erebor, and Mirkwood.

It's been 3+ years for me and my wife. Peaked during SoM and RoI and played through HD and Dol Amroth. Logged back in at level 100. Doing Minas Tirith Epics and beyond. We'll see how it goes...

Surely if this brings in new players and gets some old players back this is a good thing? Have any other MMOs done this? Sometimes it is good to see things at face value and not try and over think anything devious has happened. Just a nice gesture in dark times. 

7 minutes ago, PJ. said:

Surely if this brings in new players and gets some old players back...

Why would it? If you aren't already keeping track of LotRO, how would you know about temporarily free content? Without advertising, hype, or a large fanbase at their disposal, it's going to be a very, very small number of people that notice the game who weren't already playing.

10 hours ago, Doro said:

Why would it? If you aren't already keeping track of LotRO, how would you know about temporarily free content? Without advertising, hype, or a large fanbase at their disposal, it's going to be a very, very small number of people that notice the game who weren't already playing.

My wife and I are back after 3+ years because the content is free (though she has a lifetime account so it doesn't matter) and we're bored while isolating at home. She's got 36k LP and I think I have 6k or something. We'll do the Epic and other odd quests as we go onwards from level 100. Of course, after April 30th we'll most likely be out again. I'm not sure we'll worry about level 100 LIs for imbument as I've little recollection on how it all works, nor care at this point about being leet.

1 hour ago, FundinStrongarm said:

My wife and I are back after 3+ years because the content is free (though she has a lifetime account so it doesn't matter) and we're bored while isolating at home. She's got 36k LP and I think I have 6k or something. We'll do the Epic and other odd quests as we go onwards from level 100. Of course, after April 30th we'll most likely be out again. I'm not sure we'll worry about level 100 LIs for imbument as I've little recollection on how it all works, nor care at this point about being leet.

And you post here.

Heard about the free thing. Not playing it. It's over for me.

• Like 1

So I have been playing this over the past few weekends.  The lag is worse now than ever.  Sometimes it can be over 10 seconds where you cant do anything, then everything happens instantly.  I was even killed by an  Orc as I couldnt attack, but as soon as the lag ended there was a stream of red numbers and my morale just plummeted to 0.  It is really annoying.  I can only imagine how bad this could be in a raid.

I stopped playing LOTRO for the time being  and am looking at Imperator:Rome  and Ark Survival - anyone had experience with either ?

edited for typoes and content

Edited by Woeg
typoes

7 hours ago, Woeg said:

I stopped playing LOTRO for the time being  and am looking at Imperator:Rome  and Ark Survival - anyone had experience with either ?

edited for typoes and content

I've got Ark but I haven't played it for ages. It would be a pretty interesting game if it weren't for the terrible server lag, and the huge amount of resources it consumes. If they've since fixed those problems, it would be worth a shot.