LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Talisman

Character Transfers

8 minutes ago, Talisman said:

SSG has decided to charge to transfer shared items (storage, currency, wardrobe, etc) if you don't also transfer a character at the same time.

free transfers was for servers that had closed...

and a brief window to allow players to move to the new reality of (at the time) 10 servers.  it was never ever intended to be a free storage transfer between active servers.

i can begrudge SSG (AKA: formerly Turbine) for many things, but on this...   good call.

they may at some point allow another brief shuffle on live (open) servers for free.  regardless, it is a paid service.  making money from server economy opportunists actually gets a round of applause from me.

closed server free transfers was the only promise made for the life of the game.

Shared storage transfer was free the whole time till they shut down transfers with no warning.  I used it several times to move gold from one server to another.

3 hours ago, warspeech said:

Shared storage transfer was free the whole time till they shut down transfers with no warning.  I used it several times to move gold from one server to another.

and that was never its intended use.  now you pay.  you should have always had to pay.

it was only free to acclimate 28 servers into 10.  the only promise of remaining free was OFF a closed server.

they did leave themselves wiggle room to allow brief free periods at an undisclosed time in the future from open worlds.

regardless,  what you did was not intended to be free AFTER the consolidation period ended.

congratulations on getting away with the dupe as long as you did.  consider yourself lucky.

if you thought that was the intended design...  sucks to be you.

maybe they will allow another grace week or two at some near future date, otherwise...  transfers cost money, storage, or character.

if they ever close more servers, i would expect it to be free again then as well.

closed servers should still be free, but i've heard that still doesn't work.  maybe SSG now thinks it is just better to force people to re-roll?  yet they still hold all that old data?  either open closed server transfer for free, or fucking purge that shit!  have the balls to tell folk who have character data on the old servers they missed their shot...  SSG shit or get off the damn pot.

regardless open server transfers...  you pay for.

Bullshit. 

If that was never its intended use, they would have limited the shared storage transfers to only be from closing worlds to remaining worlds, and made it a one-time only thing.

They posted more than once about shared storage transfers being free between worlds, effectively advertising this feature to be used exactly the way people used it.

1 hour ago, warspeech said:

Bullshit. 

If that was never its intended use, they would have limited the shared storage transfers to only be from closing worlds to remaining worlds, and made it a one-time only thing.

They posted more than once about shared storage transfers being free between worlds, effectively advertising this feature to be used exactly the way people used it.

not bullshit.

they wanted to give the opportunity to open worlds as well because the reality on the 10 remaining worlds changed when those 18 servers closed.  it WAS free for a brief time.

why it continued to be free beyond that period...  well the leaving open repeat transfers for failed item movement...  seems to be the window they are either unable to close, or lack the time budget to do so.  managed to find the time to add a fee for storage though, so on that motive, yeah bullshit.   ;)

don't expect them to ever give explanation of why they can't leave the repeated storage movement as security against failed item transfers off closed servers... but stop the ability for non character movement storage shuffling on live.

regardless, its free use was never intended to be an unlimited ability, rather just a security against failed item transfers, as repeat attempts worked to get them moved over without needing an employee to manually move shit.

avoiding needing employee intervention for every failed item transfer is probably why it stays open to this day...  though only SSG could confirm that.

now the question you need to be asking is what happens if i pay and an item transfer fails?  get them thinking about actually having to use employees to fix, or perhaps charge backs from digital monetary providers, etc.   ;)   ;)   ;)

The SSG knowledge base is so slim they don't have a clue. Any that do could ask their boss if they should be doing something and they might just have been talking gibberish. How would a fuckwit in charge have the first clue on the importance of a thing?

The full transfers still don't fully work because they've just retained all the old bugs from when Turbine ignored them. And still SSG are silent on who screwed up so bad to bring transfers down without a backup plan. To make no changes to functionality i.e. enable players to split stuff over the servers they need stuff on rather a fixed single server,  and charge for the privilege means they are ignoring that transfers promoted multi-server play for 6 years and just pissing off all who took it up just because transfers enabled that.

They don't have clue so take revenge each time they are shown up. They screw up and it's our fault...