LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Doro

Current State of LotRO

Not saying others aren't having problems. I've played all day today without a single lag issue. Strange. 0.0% packet loss. Odd how that works.

On 7/24/2020 at 1:20 PM, Papi said:

you know shit has hit the fan when even fan boy Justin over at Massively is pissed off:  https://massivelyop.com/2020/07/24/lotro-legendarium-what-we-have-here-is-a-failure-to-communicate/

This thread came about due to the MOP article.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?681799-This-mess-has-been-handled-so-poorly!

I joined into this thread when Elmagor went on his SSG can do no wrong push. His approach was to attack the journalism of Olivetti. Most of what he said made no sense and at times he brought everything possible into the discussion for his defense. I was waiting for him to throw in the kitchen sink and then toss a trout into as well. When I said as much about his narrow minded view, he said I was attacking him on two occasions. I was like wtf! You're (Elamgor) getting your ass handed to you on a platter without the use of combat or weapons and you pull the victim card. What a fucking piece of shit. Only a few post later Elmagor himself starts off several post to another poster with incendiaries. What a fuckin hypocrite! Backed into a corner and rather than concede, the fuckin idiot persist to a point that just made me sad humanity could allow such spawn to make it past conception.

I'm no fan of Olivetti. He is as risk adverse as a player can be. He contributed to the gradual dumbing down of LotRO's content even if he isn't aware of it. Also not a fan of how he downplays long going problems and near virtually ignores how SSG show no love to PvMP. Still in light of that I read his articles and often wish he grab SSG by the nuts once in a while and say hey. WTF!

Well, after Elamgor shitting on Olivetti opinion, and claiming all he does is see and write the negatives. I see this post on page four.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?681799-This-mess-has-been-handled-so-poorly!&p=8024005#post8024005

"Well, here are some facts on Massively OP's positive coverage of LOTRO:

1) The journalist - his name is Justin Olivetti btw - who's credibility you're trying to undermine has written about LOTRO for 10 years, starting at the original Massively and now at Massively OP.
2) Justin writes a bi-weekly column called LOTRO Legendarium for Massively OP, where his commentary is almost exclusively positive on LOTRO.
3) Massively OP awarded LOTRO the "Most Underrated MMO" in 2018 and 2019 - https://massivelyop.com/2019/12/09/m...st-underrated/
4) Also in 2019, LOTRO won Favorite MMO Music, and SSG's Bill Champagne won MMO Composer of the Year - https://massivelyop.com/2019/12/17/m...-music-awards/

So yeah, Massively never says anything positive about LOTRO. Never.

I think you and the others on here attacking MassivelyOP are totally unaware of how much Justin and the editor, Bree Royce, love LOTRO and do what they can to present the game in a positive light. I'd say they are passionate fans who feel the stinging disappointment of SSG's communication strategy, and fear what it means for the future health of the game. Because SSG's actions here have hurt LOTRO - that is MOP's opinion, that is my opinion, and that is the opinion of many players who love this game as much as those defending every single one of SSG's actions do."

Now Elmagor will have a headache trying to ward off that sledge hammer and failing. MOP gives LotRO far more line space than they ever deserved and especially under SSG. Who in the hell else would publish LotRO articles? Druidsfire? HaHaHa! SSG would be better off setting their building on fire than give Jean any interview time. Olivetti does his articles from a distance and still beats that old badger hands down even when she has her hand in the honey pot.

What I see in a lot of cases from the apologist is they don't have anything else, anyone else, and live and breathe to serve SSG's virtual world as if its the savior for the second coming of Jesus. If they could, they would get cyber implants for direct neural feeds from SSG.

Hahaha, it's been an utter joy reading that thread. The shear amount of BS that those apologistic SSG idiots are trying to come up with is unbelievable. It's funny how all those years ago after the HD debacle everyone else was apparently wrong and those casual idiots were 'right'. Now look at them, with just a few sensible players still left, they turned on eachother. You just couldn't make this stuff up. And all that was needed was to shut them off the game for a few days.

Happy days indeed haha.

You can really see the psychosis on display in that thread.  I can't help but point out Arnenna (hasn't she publicly threatened to quit/unsub multiple times now?)...where she defends the fact that SSG provided DDO an update but waited 18 hours, nearly a day, to update the LOTRO forums with the same update.

Let's think about that for a sec...a company whose livelihood depends on people having access to their product...and that product is currently inaccessible...waits almost a day to keep a huge chunk of their customers informed about the status of things.  Apparently, Cordovan was on annual leave?  Which, of course, is the lamest excuse. 

The point is, stuff like this is clearly indefensible...it's just poor business practices on behalf of SSG and you'd think even the most devoted white knight would pull their head out (kudos to Massively for doing just that), but looking at that thread...either people are being contrarian for the sake of it or there is some deeper, psychological problem going on there.  It's probably a little bit of both.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Papi said:

You can really see the psychosis on display in that thread.  I can't help but point out Arnenna (hasn't she publicly threatened to quit/unsub multiple times now?)...where she defends the fact that SSG provided DDO an update but waited 18 hours, nearly a day, to update the LOTRO forums with the same update.

Let's think about that for a sec...a company whose livelihood depends on people having access to their product...and that product is currently inaccessible...waits almost a day to keep a huge chunk of their customers informed about the status of things.  Apparently, Cordovan was on annual leave?  Which, of course, is the lamest excuse. 

The point is, stuff like this is clearly indefensible...it's just poor business practices on behalf of SSG and you'd think even the most devoted white knight would pull their head out (kudos to Massively for doing just that), but looking at that thread...either people are being contrarian for the sake of it or there is some deeper, psychological problem going on there.  It's probably a little bit of both.

I'm 100% convinced that Armenna and maartena are incognito SSG employees simply trying to gaslight the community and sabotage the discourse. After all,  human being that can operate a computer could NOT possibly be as stupid as they're portraying themselves to be in that thread, right? RIGHT?

I've suspected this for a long time, and such a level of blind sycophancy is either disingenuous, or those individuals have legitimate brain injuries. Or both.

17 hours ago, Papi said:

I don't even know where to start. As I was reading her reply, when someone pointed out that if that DDO announcement would have been posted in the LOTRO forums at the beginning of this shitshow, and then she came up with that 18 hours bullshit, and that it didn't matter anyway. When confronted on the late 2013 HD shambles, she refused to comment because her feeling were apparently hurt. Maybe it's because she could not think of a good enough excuse to throw back. I honestly wonder who even allows such a person to have an access to a computer? And when she's called an 'SSG fanboy' and a 'white knight' she hides under the SSG skirt and cries that someone called her a bad name... 

Honestly, I'm lost for words, it's one thing to be the devil's advocate and try to look at the issues from another point of view, but what she's saying is just retarded. No matter what anyone says, she'll find an excuse that suits her SSG agenda.

Edit: I can only speak from experience, if the company where I work had the same level of customer service and communication as SSG is showing us, then I can guarantee that we would go bust in half a year.

10 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

I'm 100% convinced that Armenna and maartena are incognito SSG employees simply trying to gaslight the community and sabotage the discourse. After all,  human being that can operate a computer could NOT possibly be as stupid as they're portraying themselves to be in that thread, right? RIGHT?

I've suspected this for a long time, and such a level of blind sycophancy is either disingenuous, or those individuals have legitimate brain injuries. Or both.

Nah I don't believe that, just casuals with way too much spare time and money to spend in the lotro store.

Einstein's quote fits quite well:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Like 1

Payroll clerk who's monitor faces away from the office door given the post count and attempts by a datacenter employee to deflect away from the culprits here?

Arnenna will do the usual fight on every thread until out classed then move on to another. Some are just messing with her head now. Form an opinion looking at no evidence and defend to the hilt.

SSG still monitoring...  endlessly. Some guy in the wider world is counting their bonus and SSG are reading the small print on a contract spinning on the shaft up their collective arseholes. However I am open to be convinced it's solely self inflicted without external influences with the code hacking SSG have continued employing.

70% off Solvent though :)

The bombshell in the thread is the Druidsfire video where she shows off about happily helping to get people banned and preparing her coven to protect poor Cordovan from questions he won't understand on the next stream. None bother to look. The video is one of the classics of her sycosis.

Mac 

Having the chat functions disabled is a no go for me. Its not even an MMO without them imo. Sure I could employ 3rd party tools for chat but I know if the playerbase all concedes on this SSG just might leave them broken and disabled. Letting loose one of the bullshit lines about how they listened to feedback and decided to leave them disabled. I logged on once since two weeks ago and laughed when I loaded to see a stream of say chats for grouping. I looked at the social tab to see what was working and broken then logged off. I wonder how long before players remember chat bubbles? That is if they even work anymore. It would be like stepping back more than 20 years into a UO game.

8 hours ago, Macdui101 said:

Payroll clerk who's monitor faces away from the office door given the post count and attempts by a datacenter employee to deflect away from the culprits here?

Arnenna will do the usual fight on every thread until out classed then move on to another. Some are just messing with her head now. Form an opinion looking at no evidence and defend to the hilt.

SSG still monitoring...  endlessly. Some guy in the wider world is counting their bonus and SSG are reading the small print on a contract spinning on the shaft up their collective arseholes. However I am open to be convinced it's solely self inflicted without external influences with the code hacking SSG have continued employing.

70% off Solvent though :)

The bombshell in the thread is the Druidsfire video where she shows off about happily helping to get people banned and preparing her coven to protect poor Cordovan from questions he won't understand on the next stream. None bother to look. The video is one of the classics of her sycosis.

Mac 

It does sound convincing doesn't it? 

She's hopeless. I don't know why people even respond to her posts at all, she's got no credibility and never had any to begin with.

The game's got so many issues that it's just a matter of time before something gets fucked as bad as what we've witnessed over the past weeks. Quests not loading, NPC's not showing, tons of lag even before the server meltdown and to top it all of they didn't even bother to assign the death animations to some of the new mobs in minas morgul. 

I watched that part where she's describing how happy she is that she gets to dish out the bans. Couldn't be bothered to watch more than a few minutes. It's embarrassing that an adult person uses a ban hammer to fill up their ego. 

She and Sapience would make a truly lovely couple.... just wonderful.

3 hours ago, Gondorian96 said:

Well Cordovan actually decided to be a community manager today and replied to someone asking about an update on the chat servers and world transfers. Here's the link: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?681869-Update

As vague and useless an answer as expected. If I was back home, and if I had LotRO installed, and if I was still logging in, and if the game was entertaining, and if I didn't have a Lifetime account, and if there weren't other games to play... I'd be royally pissed. But then what else are people expecting from a shambling zombie of an MMO? Whaaaaaaales... whaaaaaaales...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doro said:

As vague and useless an answer as expected. If I was back home, and if I had LotRO installed, and if I was still logging in, and if the game was entertaining, and if I didn't have a Lifetime account, and if there weren't other games to play... I'd be royally pissed. But then what else are people expecting from a shambling zombie of an MMO? Whaaaaaaales... whaaaaaaales...

What can you expect? 

At least the store is functioning perfectly, that's the main thing for them. I'd bet that if the store went down, there would be a fix in 24 hours max, because they depend on the cosmetic buying whales so much.

• Like 1

More and more die-hards are getting fed up;

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?681799-This-mess-has-been-handled-so-poorly!&p=8024601#post8024601

Unfortunately, they're just parroting the same concerns and gripes we've had for years. Nothing is going to change, and the trust fund whales will continue to support the game in maintenance mode, lowering the standards of gaming and dishonoring the Tolkien franchise.

5 hours ago, Gondorian96 said:

At least the store is functioning perfectly, that's the main thing for them. I'd bet that if the store went down, there would be a fix in 24 hours max, because they depend on the cosmetic buying whales so much.

Accurate. One look through Red_Panda's replies in the o-forum's Dev Tracker shows what the priorities are. Note promptness and punctuality pertaining to anything store-reated.

Which leads me to think the current broken "limited live servers" situation is not from SSG's ineptitude but a deliberate testing ground. When something is a priority, it gets treated like a priority. When something is not treated like a priority - then the priority is elsewhere.
Who's to say they're not using this datacenter fuckup as a chance to see how the store sales figures compare in a severely limited game environment (no chat channels, no fellowships, no friend lists, no grouping). If the sales are good - and hey, the whales finally got rid of that pesky grouping they hate so much! - it sets a new threshold for lowering standards and divesting resources from LotrO. While ensuring it's "just" functional enough to invite player spending.

Interestingly, the game infrastructure directly involved in player spending has not been disabled: vault, wardrobe, shared storage, and housing system all remain perfectly functional. Item storage/retrieval interfaces are working and loading without lag.
It is only the social aspects of the game that have been mysteriously "impacted" by these outages - everything that contributes to social in-game environment, in fact. Why no urgency to fix this? Easy: it's not urgent. Why so vague and elusive in communicating this? Easy: the CM whose entire job revolves around communication is making conscious decision to be elusive (per direction from higher up the food chain).

A limited test run of "maintenance mode" store sales in controlled setting? I assume maintenance mode = no active (paid) GMs to monitor the chat channels, so they will be disabled for politically correct reasons of "player safety". And I assume maintenance mode = fully operational store intact.

Transitioning to a new business model by opening up the entire Lotro world "for free" invites all kind of internal data metrics experiments. Maybe they needed to tighten their budgets by giving a pay cut to those active GMs and furlough them for a few weeks. "We're experiencing undisclosed server issues but re-opening the game worlds with limited functions" sounds a whole lot like "We're extending our covid gesture of unlocking all Lotro regions to play for free for another month." Let the starry-eyed imbeciles keep fawning over SSG's "kindness" and "efforts"... Every single game-related decision is governed by budgetary bottom line. Including this one.

• Like 3

Cordovan, 12 days later: "it is taking slightly longer than originally estimated."

What a clown.

Also, the THANKYOUGIFT coupon just in:

Skill and Slayer Deed Boost x5
Enhanced XP Supply x5
+5000 Enhanced Reputation Supply
+2000 Virtue Acceleration Tome

Not a single fucking LP. The mingy stingy skimpy mean motherfuckers.

I don't forget the Russian localization in LotRO. I say for this reason. It was well known in the PvMP community Russians were breaking the chat servers. The basic explanation I got was some players were intentionally using strings of character type the chat couldn't work with. Blank spacing was breaking the chat. Beyond that I know nothing of the actual circumstances. What I do know about is, being on Arkenstone and seeing the breakdown first hand. Watching it spread to every chat tab until finally no chat was functional. This must have happened several dozen times in that time period. Not long after those days the chat function was expanded to include other characters not normally used in the English language. The forums were also expanded in a similar way.

I'm not suggesting the problem came about from a chat haxor but more to the fix SSG brought into the game as a fix.

31 minutes ago, MusicMachine said:

Cordovan, 12 days later: "it is taking slightly longer than originally estimated."

What a clown.

Enhanced XP Supply x5

Lol ya. Anyone who excepts the free gifts openly says SSG is forgiven even though the game is still broken.

I find it curious that the Executive Producer of both games hasn't stuck his head out of his hole to say a single. word.

The scarecrow has only a few minutes ago, but it doesn't say much really.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?681934-A-Note-of-Apology-and-Thanks&p=8024672#post8024672

A Note of Apology and Thanks

Greetings,

In the last week, as our players are aware, we have experienced ongoing outages due to environmental and infrastructure challenges. The cause was outside the scope of code and bugs, and solving these issues required (and requires) substantial restructuring of our server infrastructure. We have completed the first wave of those changes, and will continue to work on and hone these improvements in the coming weeks to make the experience better for our players.

I wanted to personally apologize for these outages. As a gamer myself, I understand how frustrating it is. We are planning on giving our VIP players compensation for lost VIP time, and the teams have put together an in-game care package as an apology and to help players catch up on lost progress.

Robert Ciccolini

7 minutes ago, Splay said:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?681934-A-Note-of-Apology-and-Thanks&p=8024672#post8024672

A Note of Apology and Thanks

Greetings,

In the last week, as our players are aware, we have experienced ongoing outages due to environmental and infrastructure challenges. The cause was outside the scope of code and bugs, and solving these issues required (and requires) substantial restructuring of our server infrastructure. We have completed the first wave of those changes, and will continue to work on and hone these improvements in the coming weeks to make the experience better for our players.

I wanted to personally apologize for these outages. As a gamer myself, I understand how frustrating it is. We are planning on giving our VIP players compensation for lost VIP time, and the teams have put together an in-game care package as an apology and to help players catch up on lost progress.

Robert Ciccolini

ah, he is still alive.

Cordovan: "we worked to resolve issues outside of our control in the data center and other environments"

Severlin:   "The cause was outside the scope of code and bugs"

Also, they've only completed the "first wave"?

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, MusicMachine said:

What a clown.

Enhanced XP Supply x5

This is real funny lol and the chat services still not working.

1 hour ago, Splay said:

I stopped reading after the first four words. "In the last week". According to their own Twitter account, the current shitfest started on July the 15th. These morons can't even figure a calendar.

2 hours ago, MusicMachine said:

I stopped reading after the first four words. "In the last week". According to their own Twitter account, the current shitfest started on July the 15th. These morons can't even figure a calendar.

It's a poor attempt at damage limitation. The hole they're digging for themselves just keeps getting deeper and deeper. I wonder how long they'll last this way.

SSG business page has them listed with 40 employees and 20 million in annual revenue. Looking at the state of the game, where the fuck is that 20 million going?

18 hours ago, Wrath of Winter said:

Who's to say they're not using this datacenter fuckup as a chance to see how the store sales figures compare in a severely limited game environment (no chat channels, no fellowships, no friend lists, no grouping). If the sales are good - and hey, the whales finally got rid of that pesky grouping they hate so much! - it sets a new threshold for lowering standards and divesting resources from LotrO. While ensuring it's "just" functional enough to invite player spending.

I think you're 100% right on this one.