LOTROCommunity

There was an outage back in 2013 where Turbine blamed a 3rd party for the issues.  It happened over a long weekend.  When it got fixed there was the usual thread thanking Turbine.  I made a post thanking the 3rd party that had fixed the problem and Sapience gave me an infraction from trolling.

Here is the post

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?522348-Thank-You-Turbine!&p=6898804#post6898804

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was an outage back in 2013 where Turbine blamed a 3rd party for the issues.  It happened over a long weekend.  When it got fixed there was the usual thread thanking Turbine.  I made a post thank

Nice game you got there.  Shame if something would happen to it... We need you to do us a favor tho...

Accurate. One look through Red_Panda's replies in the o-forum's Dev Tracker shows what the priorities are. Note promptness and punctuality pertaining to anything store-reated. Which leads me to t

Posted Images

A preponderance of dummy alt accounts over there,  fanning the flames and starting positive threads. Both strategies generate forum activity + lightning rod baiting. If not for these coordinated efforts, OF would be mostly stagnant by now. Looking closer at syntax, many of these dummy accounts sound very similar, to nobody's surprise. All deflecting attention from anyone thinking in the direction of "real" questions.
(In other words, the "incompetence" narrative = red herring plant)

100% can't unsee SSG being a front. The amount of NDA and legal repercussions must be immense: complete silence and zero company reviews on GlassDoor.com. If everything really was at face value re: SSG management's gross incompetence, hard to imagine not a single disgruntled ex-employee venting about it there. Even Turbine amassed some shit-stain reviews, guess their big-corpo entanglement was more transparent. (Anyone can make a dummy LinkedIn acct to check on activity there, so go ahead Mac if you're keen.)

If anyone's twisting SSG's arms "outside of their control"... 

Server Instability Notice

The game worlds are experiencing periods of server instability due to external issues, including issues outside of our control. We are taking steps to mitigate these environmental and infrastructure challenges, and we will work to keep you updated here.

Cordovan's post is beginning to sound more and more like "help I'm trapped in a Chinese fortune cookie factory"

• Like 1

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?682529-Example-communication-for-server-outages-SSG-can-use-it-as-blueprint&p=8032255#post8032255

Now to LOTRO:
Cordovan
Community Manager
That is Cordovan's self proclaimed job title. I didn't give it to him, none of the posters here did either, he was given this title by the company he works for.
So, DO YOUR GODDAMN JOB and manage the community. Talk to it, inform it, and if the lawyers (as some suggested) limit what you can say, get from them what you can say, and pass that on.
What you can not do, is be a "community manager" who never talks to the community.

Quality post. A shame he'll be banned for telling the truth.

2 hours ago, Urwendil said:

If this is not a confirmation of LOTRO being owned by DBG and SSG being a non entity, I don't know what is:

From his Twitter profile; Gamer for life! Community Manager for Standing Stone Games. NOTE: This is my personal account, and should not be used for any company-related questions.

Proceeds to use his personal account for a company-related job search. That just about sums him up.

• Like 2

Uff da.

You open a job ad  and another job ad posted under "Careers at Daybreak Game Company" and find...

"Our Standing Stone Games Studio is looking for a passionate content designer [...]"

"Our Standing Stone Games Studio is looking for a passionate Game Engineer [...]"

I'm really bad at .gif reacting, but what a dedicated effort by a tiny indie company to keep giving us more content, of course they have to make money to survive and everyone should keep supporting the little guys, they work so hard and sacrifice so much. Unexplained server instability? It's just a few folks in a tiny strip mall office working overtime (give them a break!), run by incompetent management that has no clue (they're ruining the game and disrespecting customers!). Whose side are you on? Join the Lotro forums and get involved.

*strokes beard*

• Like 2

SSG is outsourcing everything they can. Those temp contracts are exactly that. Paying people peanuts while being subcontracted for 12 months. Outside of half a dozen at SSG the rest are expendable. That isn't saying those in that small group are proficient. They are leftovers from Turbine who are in it for a pound. The funny part of reading those job listing is a person waiting tables or barista will make more than those technically educated because online games and coding in general is todays equivalent of 1950s secretarial work in the underbelly of corporations. Give it a few more years and SSG will be sponsoring visas importing employees from 3rd world countries to save a few dimes.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Wrath of Winter said:

Uff da.

You open a job ad  and another job ad posted under "Careers at Daybreak Game Company" and find...

"Our Standing Stone Games Studio is looking for a passionate content designer [...]"

"Our Standing Stone Games Studio is looking for a passionate Game Engineer [...]"

I'm really bad at .gif reacting, but what a dedicated effort by a tiny indie company to keep giving us more content, of course they have to make money to survive and everyone should keep supporting the little guys, they work so hard and sacrifice so much. Unexplained server instability? It's just a few folks in a tiny strip mall office working overtime (give them a break!), run by incompetent management that has no clue (they're ruining the game and disrespecting customers!). Whose side are you on? Join the Lotro forums and get involved.

*strokes beard*

Brianregan Duh GIF - Brianregan Duh MakeFace GIFs

Anyone remember the day when the new legendary servers opened up and people like Marteena shilled for SSG? I recall a post from Marteena who typed in large bold about how successful those servers were.

Well, day came where HD was released. Ofc anyone with a brain new those servers life ended at the intro of HD and now proof is being communicated.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?682834-PLEASE-set-me-(us)-free-from-the-LEGENDARY-Servers!!!

Exclamation PLEASE set me (us) free from the LEGENDARY Servers!!!

Like many long-time VIPs (or otherwise), when the LEGENDARY SERVERS were launched, they were the new "bright shiny" thing even though they had some of the old discarded quests return once again. Well, a lot of us over time have noticed that the populations of these two elitist servers are very low (especially ITHILL). We enjoyed the isolated channels for a bit, we levelled up our toons...and now we would LOVE to be able to transfer them to our North American home servers which is where everyone is, especially now that you have released all these wonderful coupons to allow F2P & Premium players access to all the former VIP regions. The old servers is where all the action is and we want our toons from ANOR & especially ITHILL to join our other toons on the North American servers, PLEASE! Now that you are currently working on the toon transfer service, please also get the function to allow Legendary to North American servers too. If we can do it from BOMBADIL, then there is no reason we shouldn't be able to transfer from LEGENDARY servers as well. Thank you!

What should SSG learn from posts like this? One would be to stop trying to find the next fountain well spring of endless easy gotten revenue. Stop trying to promote failed ideas before they become real resource intensive. Understand that some of the original systems are to this day the best they ever had. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel because reasons. Learn that every venture which divides their playerbase inevitably lowers the same population.

I clearly recall players stating having a VIP server would prohibit trolling from VIP services. Turns out those same players learned supposed trolling spans across all LotRO sub models. It was indeed a nice test to see how the original servers changed as a result of a VIP migration to failed legendary servers. My home server Landy suddenly became quiet in a good way for months. Other than a few crazies who ramble on W/C regardless, during those few months the only friction in W/C occurred when VIPs returned trying to recruit others to follow them. Ultimately those same VIPs when they finally returned, also changed Landy back to the same condition it was before legendary servers. Honestly Landy was never all that bad but the obviousness of the situation was quite evident. So all I really saw concerning the new LS adventure was creating a home for solo players who are mostly anti-social types, even if SSG didn't know what they created.

Now players mired in sunken cost want a way out and SSG is denying this opening. Probably because SSG doesn't want to admit to the gaming world their attempt at a classic version is a complete failure. The irony of it all is a true classic server would still be a huge draw, but SSG is risk adverse and will never do the hard challenge mode and instead prefer to create festivals.

Whats a LS player to do. Live on their ever shrinking island? Concede losses and return to old original servers? Say fuck it and find another place to exist all together away from Middle Earth?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Splay said:

Now players mired in sunken cost want a way out and SSG is denying this opening. Probably because SSG doesn't want to admit to the gaming world their attempt at a classic version is a complete failure. The irony of it all is a true classic server would still be a huge draw, but SSG is risk adverse and will never do the hard challenge mode and instead prefer to create festivals.

100% agree with you on this. I would be willing to pay good money for a real classic lotro server. But seeing how SSG/Turdbine is conducting it's bussiness, it's never going to happen and they fucked up like they always seem to do. A good example of a classic re-release besides WoW would be 2007 runescape or OSRS. There are issues within the game (tons of bots), but it's been going strong since it's launch way back in 2013. It's become even more popular than the original rs game.

Someone also made the effort and researched when Lotro had it's last meaningfull pvmp update. A troll celebration thread was also created on the OF if anyone's interested here's the link: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?682833-Please-join-us-as-we-celebrate-7-years-of-non-development

As someone rightly pointed out, more dedication and work went into creation of that thread, than the development of pvmp.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Splay said:

I clearly recall players stating having a VIP server would prohibit trolling from VIP services. Turns out those same players learned supposed trolling spans across all LotRO sub models.

This was the biggest joke.  The forums were alight with all the cheers from the vips that they would finally be free of the unwashed, freeloading masses.  Of course they shot themselves in the foot, because nothing draws trolls faster than "Hey we're finally going to be free of trolls!"

Downtime again as routing issues prevent login. Currently 12 hours and SSG is playing the "not on our side of things" card even if DDO, sharing the same server location and routing, can still be accessed. It would not surprise me the least if this is actually related to their free content offer ending yesterday. They're such a disgrace.

More extended downtime, with no explanation.

There's definitely something to be said about a "need to know" philosophy, but surely the idiots who still sub to such a piss-poor game NEED to know why they're never able to play the game they're paying for, right?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

More extended downtime, with no explanation.

There's definitely something to be said about a "need to know" philosophy, but surely the idiots who still sub to such a piss-poor game NEED to know why they're never able to play the game they're paying for, right?

SSG has designated Wednesdays as the regular day to restart all the servers, if there's not a patch or update. Cordovan comment on the forums today that they sometimes use this time to perform any additional hardware maintenance.

8 minutes ago, Talisman said:

SSG has designated Wednesdays as the regular day to restart all the servers, if there's not a patch or update. Cordovan comment on the forums today that they sometimes use this time to perform any additional hardware maintenance.

8+ hours worth though? You'd expect that amount of downtime for the rollout of a new patch or expansion, not routine maintenance. 

4 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

8+ hours worth though? You'd expect that amount of downtime for the rollout of a new patch or expansion, not routine maintenance. 

If they have to change out hardware or install security patches, it could very well take a big chunk of time, especially when you consider that each world is hosted on a cluster of servers. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2020 at 8:42 PM, Dorf said:

You know when they have fucked up and bad when you log in after a long time and notice there is no in-game store anymore lol.

Instead they have an external store.

Which is exactly the same store, with the same shitty UX, but now in a full browser window!