LOTROCommunity

Legendary Items guide?

TP Hoarder

Is anyone aware of a guide to Legendary Weapons that explains in layman's terms about them, relics, tiers, shards, melding, scrolls etc?

I got a friend started with LOTRO and he is asking me about them and the grind involved and he had decided that it is all too confusing and it seems more useful (and cheaper) to struggle through to end game with a L60 Legendary until he can pick up a L75 and then put the effort in once.

I couldn't really put up a good case to dissuade him and hadn't got the time or will to explain the intricacies of the Legendary system as I virtually gave up any pretence of understanding it myself 6 months ago.

Would just like to point him in the right direction of a simple guide for beginners that doesn't put him off further than he already is.

There are some okay-ish guides in the LI subforum over at the official LoTRO board. I'll try to write one one of these days (I'm good at 'for dummies'), but in the meanwhile tell your friend to slot 6 items as he'll get more experience on them that way, deconstruct them at level 11 if they haven't got the legacies he wants, wait til they're 31 if they do have legacies as he'll be able to pull them off after that. The number of goodies you get on deconstruction (relics, IXP runes, shards, scrolls, etc.) goes up at the weapon level 2, 11, 21, 31, and so forth to whatever the max level on the weapon is.

Shards - the only way I know how to do this in good number is by sharding crafted relics, so if he's got SMK crafters, tell him to start making the daily ones, taking them to the relic master, deconstructing and then refining them - he's going to need a good number of shards down the road.

He wants to switch out the weapons he's USING every couple of levels, because the DPS will be higher on higher level weapons, so it's good to keep pace. At 60, if you've got second-age weapons, I'd probably stick with those until 65, and every five levels after. Make sure to always spend your points first on maxing out the DPS, healing, whatever your weapon's primary purpose is, then you can spend points on the legacies.

He can get relics easily by doing the dailies at Dolven View, those are one of the rewards. Then go to the relic master, deconstruct them, and see if they're what he wants to use. If not, use the relic master's forging panel to change the relic - it's very easy. And use low-level (tier 1 through tier 3) relics in levelling weapons since you can't get them back without a scroll.

Hope that helps some.

• Upvote 1

That's really tricky. I tend to use the relics to plug holes in my build - if I'm weak on incoming healing, then I'll use one that boosts that, or BPE relics if those stats need help - aside from things like a champ wouldn't need an OUTGOING healing relic, I don't know how specific you can get.

I don't think you could cookie-cutter it down, especially not with all the current gear changes. But someone might've managed it.

I broke down and melded a couple T7's that had evade, cause evade seemingly disappeared, plus it had a morale boost, and the new armor dropped a lot of morale buffs and vit stat increases. Got the morale back on the north side of 3k finally. Oh yeah, it's a LM character. I just normally leave the legendaries slotted until they max out, just to get a decent Ixp token and decent relics and fragments for crafting purposes. 3 of each major and class item is enough, and the ROI allowed me to max out two complete sets already, and still more to go. I'm waiting for 75 now and the 1st agers to worry about legacies too much, unless I manage to find one that has something good for the LM, then I use one I do have, and replace it with one off the item when deconned.

There's a guide here too, albeit 6 months or so since the last update. I might get around to updating it soon, but I wouldn't bet on it. As far as the need for level cap LI's goes, essentially only a dps class (CHM, HNT) needs a cap LI weapon, because of the dps on it. For pretty much every other class, a L60 or 65 2nd ager with ideal legacies is often better than a capped 3rd age LI, because the improvement in the legacies isn't significant, even if you've managed to get the legacies you want.

Another reason for needing a a level capped LI is ratings based legacies. For my warden, the third age 75 weapons have threat legacies that are about the same ratings as my lvl 65 second age weapons with rank 9 threat legacies. As I tank I don't have much of a choice. Also, does the lvl 75 LIs have more legacy points to spend?

I've not yet got any of my alts to the cap, so I've not really looked at what the capped items are like. However, past experience suggests that the difference in the effectiveness of legacies is either zero or small. Remember that most legacies are duration, cooldown, pulse, or % based. At L75 I imagine you're still only going to be get an increase of 30 seconds, 5 pulses, whatever it is at L65. Even for those legacies like Cry Resists, the improvements are small - you're talking about one or two extra steps on something that goes up 19 at a time and you've currently got maxed at +378.

Is an extra +38 worth all the effort involved? Taking into account the difficulty of getting a "perfect" LI, especially if you need extra Pool A Legacies for that perfect build, your current L65 Second Ager is probably better than anything L75 Third Age. You've probably got maxed Tiers on everything you want on your 65, etc. all that work to do all over again... As I say, it's really only dps where the improvement is really significant & noticeable.

Legacy points are driven by the age & level of the item, not by the equipable level, so I'd be surprised if there's any change there, either. Finally, I've given the guide above a quick tweak (there's not a lot to change to be honest). I also forgot to mention there another guide in the same section of the site that was written in March after they introduced the new relics.

Hmmmm... I take back what I said earlier (that's what I get for posting from work, where I can't check things). Looking briefly at my Warden, I see the Threat Up skills on a L73 3rd age weapon start at +12 & the dps at 78.1; by comparison, my L65 2nd age caps out at +13 & 74.4. They seem to have uprated things a bit more than normal. Great - 2 new LI's required across 9 alts... :(

They seem to have uprated things a bit more than normal. Great - 2 new LI's required across 9 alts... :(

I was questioning the reason of upgrading my weapons. My minstrel has lvl 60 2nd age items with just the right legacies. Even though I'm at level 65, I won't despair over too much effort and keep using these until I find good lvl 65 and later lvl 75 replacements. After all I already have 7 T7 relics waiting for new items. shiny.gif

Well getting new LIs for all alts in annoying, you can level to 75 with changing your current ones without much of an issue and during that time you will pick you lots of IXP balls and you can also level lots of new LIs to at least level 30 so you can get the legacies you need. A LI that you need to be at least level 66 to equip will give legacies that will work on a level 75 LI.

A LI that you need to be at least level 66 to equip will give legacies that will work on a level 75 LI.

That's more or less my plan, to bring LI's to level 11 or 31 and deconstructing them to gather material for the proper level 75 item I might find. Until then it's using the old one until new ones are good enough to replace.