LOTROCommunity

Seriously, trying to get into your pocket for $20/59/99....

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?683093-New-Mini-Expansion-Pack-quot-War-of-the-Three-Peaks-quot-announced-normal-collector-s-and-ultimate-edition

New Mini Expansion Pack "War of the Three Peaks" announced - normal, collector's and ultimate edition

Cordovan just announced a new mini expansion pack. It's called "War of the three peaks" and it will be available in October for 20$ (Normal Edition), 59$ (Collector's Edition) and 99$ (Ultimate Edition).

Infos so far:

- It is NOT replacing the upcoming Gundabad Expansion which is planned for 2021. The firt beta round will start next week
- There will be NO level cap increase
- We will have boar mounts
- A new raid is coming
- We will see new raid gear
- You can see the first teaser trailer here (but there was a problem with the stream so there is lag): https://www.twitch.tv/lotrostream/clip/BrainyBitterHyenaSuperVinlin

Cordovan: War of Three Peaks includes a raid, a 6-person instance, and more than 80 missions. Missions are their own thing, but you can roughly scope them to be in the range of 2-3 quests each, and there will be at least 80 of them. Players will begin to see the scope of the content when it arrives on Bullroarer in the near future. The main thing is that Missions are larger in scope than your typical LOTRO quest, and will be available to play by one or two people together between levels 20 and 130. The raid and instance will release with the rest of War of Three Peaks, and will be included in the $20 expansion.

boar.PNG

• Like 3
  • Tarantula changed the title to Seriously, trying to get into your pocket for $20/59/99....

I think SSG is in financial trouble. They've been offering too much to VIPs for free for too long, and it's now coming back to bite them.

I don't mind paying for content, but the pricing for the packs beyond the basic is ridiculous.

• Like 1

SSGs graphs would make an interesting reading as I cannot see any logic in their decisions. If subscription stops including new regions, many current subscribers will drop their payments as the only redeeming feature left is PvMP and we all know how good that is. Greed itself is not a winning business strategy.

And seriously, just how dismal their trailers can get? They always achieve to make the game look older than its age.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Tarantula said:
- We will have boar mounts

Hahaha! Good, I hope it gives that arrogant, boring, uptight cunt Radsomething the aneurysm he deserves.

Edit: holy fuck, the responses in that thread are hilarious.

SSG is so lucky they have loyal idiots like me to keep feeding them money.

I think the boar mount will only be in the Ultimate Edition and thats the reason I will buy it on day 1. biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I hope there is an LP version because if i buy this "Mini" pack now i wont have money to buy the actualy xpack comming next year.

I admit I'm one of those suckers for fluff that drops big money (I even paid double ultimate for Minas Morgul coz I gave one to my fiance)... [this one at least said they won't be doing it again]

The free play for the summer was great and I might forgive them a little for a $100 quest pack... [this one as well]

Been playing since beta days. Love the game and want to help to keep them in business. Yep I'm gonna shell out the $100. (flame away, I don't care)

And they just keep going! "Please sir, can I have another slap across the face?"

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Doro said:

And they just keep going! "Please sir, can I have another slap across the face?"

The forum posting theme of 'slap me again I like it' made me laugh. Ninety nine dollars for a work in progress. I can't say its fills me with joy. No ILI fix. No PvMP fix. Transfers are still broken, but hey we got a boar mount.

Next year we'll see the super mini expansion for $20. The following year will be the mini quest pack for $20. Until finally a few years down the road it will be the Log-On release for $20.

• Like 1

The thing that struck me was this new concept of "missions" that will be playable by one-two people for levels 20-130. 

New system, people! (*)  THIS time, it'll be great, we promise!

Also no mention of whatever the epic story is called now, and whether that will be free, or behind this paywall.

(*) new opportunity for store items, like 'mission masteries" or some such - the new promotion points. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, warspeech said:

The thing that struck me was this new concept of "missions" that will be playable by one-two people for levels 20-130. 

New system, people! (*)  THIS time, it'll be great, we promise!

Also no mention of whatever the epic story is called now, and whether that will be free, or behind this paywall.

(*) new opportunity for store items, like 'mission masteries" or some such - the new promotion points. 

An example of a 'mission': quest 1: fetch a bucket at X, travel via a,b,c to quest 2: fill said bucket at Y, travel via d,e,f to quest 3: deliver said filled bucket at Z?

I hope it's not going to be as bad as that.

Also, I don't expect an epic book or so.

I wonder what the 'goodies' are at 59/99.

• Like 1

So let me see if I have this correct.  They're selling a quest pack which would normally cost LP or be free to vip and people are excited about it?  Calling it a mini expansion is quite hilarious.  If that's how this is going to go for them maybe I can sell my Yugo as a classic foreign exotic.

• Like 1

Well, an expansion you’d expect a new system, a new instance cluster and a bunch  of quests; so they have some parts of that; if they had 2 regions/ a lvl cap increase to 135 I could have understood it. Now my reaction is, they charge VIP’s for a new region 

• Like 1

What can you say at this point...

Did you see that trailer?  Straight out of 2007, with no hint of irony.  This team has zero imagination/creativity.

And the people lapping it up on the OF...all the recent woes over the past couple of months has put the fear into the apologists.  They know the game is in dire straights and they are willing to throw money at it to try and keep it afloat.

We are witnessing a wicked combination of desperation and obsession being fed by the corporate greed of SSG management.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Amenhir said:

So let me see if I have this correct.  They're selling a quest pack which would normally cost LP or be free to vip and people are excited about it?  Calling it a mini expansion is quite hilarious.  If that's how this is going to go for them maybe I can sell my Yugo as a classic foreign exotic.

I'd say that the server shitstorm lowered the number of logins and vip subs enough, that they had to come up with a quick cash grab scheme to remedy the situation. It's exactly the same as Rohan housing.

8 hours ago, Splay said:

The forum posting theme of 'slap me again I like it' made me laugh. Ninety nine dollars for a work in progress. I can't say its fills me with joy. No ILI fix. No PvMP fix. Transfers are still broken, but hey we got a boar mount.

Next year we'll see the super mini expansion for $20. The following year will be the mini quest pack for $20. Until finally a few years down the road it will be the Log-On release for $20.

I could hardly believe the attitude of some people towards SSG at this point, they were being shat on for weeks on end during the server fiasco and the minute that SSG offers them another round, they thank them and beg for more. It beggars belief.

And the amount of lore-breaking is ridiculous. Just because the main story ended it doesn't mean that they have to resort to bullshit like riding boars. Not to mention the utter cheek for putting on those ridiculous prices. 

• Like 1

I keep reading this stuff about how SSG is a business and they need players money desperately. Ya umm nope. Not this year in particular. I know damn well DBG and by proxy of DBG's umbrella, SSG too have gotten millions from the US as a result of Covid-19 through the US appropriations for small businesses. Think this through and you will see what I mean. DBG recently broke up their business into smaller development companies. That in itself made them eligible for loans to keep their employees working from home and with the caveat of loan forgiveness for adhering to policy's set forth by US congress. Thus the free summer of LotRO. There is information available listing the companies, and I'd bet my left nut DBG's development companies are on it.

With that said, It could be living on US tax paid pork, SSG might have used their portion up repaying contractual loans instead of using it for fixing old broken stuff or actually making a fun playable game. Instead players get a quest pack containing wrapper quests under the new name of Missions and for $99 you too can ride the pork train. Also brought to my attention were the recent job listings from SSG. I recall one was for a world builder. So the same guy who made all the last 13 or so years of world content is gone and wanted to be replaced by contract workers. Imagine that. SSG cutting cost while collecting free money.

There is no way SSG made the game free for 5 months because of soulful kindness. Greed doesn't have a soul.

• Like 2

I retain my belief for several shills being either DBG employees in disguise or literally shills, as in being compensated with in-game gambling tokens etc. As for the rest, let them keep getting shat on; they deserve what they get.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Urwendil said:

I retain my belief for several shills being either DBG employees in disguise or literally shills, as in being compensated with in-game gambling tokens etc. As for the rest, let them keep getting shat on; they deserve what they get.

I think many of them simply feels they have to protected their game, maybe for some it's an addiction.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, berry said:

I think many of them simply feels they have to protected their game, maybe for some it's an addiction.

I think you're right.

On 9/12/2020 at 2:56 AM, Doro said:

Hahaha! Good, I hope it gives that arrogant, boring, uptight cunt Radsomething the aneurysm he deserves.

That person is having a fit in a thread about Rohan housing in the Suggestions forum too.  

• Like 1

Skimmed through these two threads:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?683113-War-of-Three-Peaks-What-is-the-point-in-being-VIP

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?683093-New-Mini-Expansion-Pack-quot-War-of-the-Three-Peaks-quot-announced-normal-collector-s-and-ultimate-edition

and realized once again that I hate certain kinds of idiots even more than shills.

I understand the obsession/addiction angle; been there myself for too long. But the state of the game these past two years (as far as I can glimpse without first hand experience) is beyond any kind of justification.

The "take my moneh" fanboys are understandably predictable, but much more entertaining are the ex-"take my moneh" fanboys who got shat on so hard for so long they're now binge-posting in butthurt betrayal rage. The delusional naivete of thinking their "customer complaints" are worth a damn... the same Karens who yell at Starbucks baristas for taking too long with their pumpkin spice lattes or demanding to see the manager at Target when their brand of cat food is out of stock, all the while not realizing they're one little egg-laying hen among billions in an egg$$-farming industry game played by massive mega-corporations. 

On 9/13/2020 at 5:39 AM, Splay said:

I keep reading this stuff about how SSG is a business and they need players money desperately. Ya umm nope. Not this year in particular. I know damn well DBG and by proxy of DBG's umbrella, SSG too have gotten millions from the US as a result of Covid-19 through the US appropriations for small businesses. Think this through and you will see what I mean. DBG recently broke up their business into smaller development companies. That in itself made them eligible for loans to keep their employees working from home and with the caveat of loan forgiveness for adhering to policy's set forth by US congress. Thus the free summer of LotRO. There is information available listing the companies, and I'd bet my left nut DBG's development companies are on it.

With that said, It could be living on US tax paid pork, SSG might have used their portion up repaying contractual loans instead of using it for fixing old broken stuff or actually making a fun playable game. Instead players get a quest pack containing wrapper quests under the new name of Missions and for $99 you too can ride the pork train. Also brought to my attention were the recent job listings from SSG. I recall one was for a world builder. So the same guy who made all the last 13 or so years of world content is gone and wanted to be replaced by contract workers. Imagine that. SSG cutting cost while collecting free money.

There is no way SSG made the game free for 5 months because of soulful kindness. Greed doesn't have a soul.

This made me nostalgic for being on these forums circa 2014 when folks with business administration backgrounds offered sharp insights into then-Turbine's trainwrecks on almost daily basis

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 10:25 PM, Talisman said:

No she is a self proclaimed Journalist on MMOCentral so she can get free tickets to events for stalking. 

Tried the new missions: Only fun for lowbies as the landscape you port too can be Red Zone aggro with on-level mobs so you can get the whole map attacking you porting in.

SSG are trolling the whales in giving them exclusive pigs to ride around on. Like we couldn't spot them a mile off already, we can smell them now. 

I spent several hours exploring the Elderslade on Bullroarer last night. Unless I've overlooked something, this is just a bog standard content update and I can't see anything justifying the term "mini expansion". I think SSG are being forced to sell Update 28 by Daybreak due to a hole in the Q3 financial returns.

So it look like Update 28 is just going to be a standard content update with some cosmetic trinkets thrown in. The Guardian nerf doesn't seem to have gone down well either. I'll write a more detailed breakdown on my blog. I think this may be the beginning of the end for LOTRO.

ScreenShot_2020-09-23_204135_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-09-23_205014_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-09-23_205507_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-09-23_211557_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-09-23_211919_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-09-23_211957_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-09-23_212554_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-09-23_212805_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-09-24_094400_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-09-24_095747_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-09-24_100228_0.jpg

• Like 1

LOTRO: Bullroarer Update 28 Preview #1: When is an update not an update? When it's a "mini expansion". A few thoughts on the new zone preview along with a gallery of pictures.

http://www.containsmoderateperil.com/blog/2020/9/24/lotro-bullroarer-update-28-preview-1

• Like 1

Decided to revisit this year's Producer's Letter from April to compare how this update is described. This caught my eye:

"In the fall we will see a new type of mega-update, the War of the Three Peaks, which will provide new content for characters of all levels. "

So the shift to monetizing forthcoming updates (undoubtedly distinguishing them as "mega" to justify this) coincides with the decision to open up the entire game for free. Re-branding "mega update" as mini expansion" doesn't look like a panic move (and they're still hiring too).

If I were to speculate, I think they're overhauling their entire target demographic to create a revolving door for a new kind of expendable, transaction-oriented players (the bored online game-hopping click-spenders), and the cosmetic scenester roleplaying lifers/VIPers are not their darlings anymore. Too much self-precious entitlement from those, can't have them holding a business growth hostage. Not to mention their emotional blackmail is bad for PR (perpetual LMB crybabyism, lifer/founder ego stroking, Vanyablalala public pedophilia, last year's Druidsfire shitstorm, etc, et al). So that whole VIP playerbase is being conveniently discarded en masse with the way new game features are rolling out (which they notice as they rage), and the forum shills are being deployed to create lightning rods for those tantrums. Still very much convinced the "incompetent SSG" narrative is a planted distraction to mask the demographic overhaul and the executive turn toward even more overt micro/macro monetization of player experience. (The balls to nonchalantly drop "mini expac" tier pricing on them without giving a single shit for packaging this info in any detail, really speaks to this new demographic's attention span, IQ level, and how disposable they are).

• Like 1