LOTROCommunity
Rosiebelle

Official forums down

Actually, he is - some smallish ISP in Canada. Has been ever since I first met him when he was a World Overseer for Asheron's Call (before Turbine shut down their volunteer program). He also wrote one of those Prima guides for AC, and like me, he's been in essentially every NDA program Turbine's had over the past 12 years. I don't know whether he's still in one, and wouldn't say if I did.

But hey, if you all feel good about hurling insults at him over here where it's "safe" for such dreck... I'm not going to try and stop you. I do feel that my stay here is getting over-long, however. Later, all. May you all find games (and game companies) that you enjoy more. I plan to.

Khafar

Thanks for interacting with us a while, and I appreciated having your viewpoint as a reasonable counter-balance. I hope to see you back here again.

Thanks for interacting with us a while, and I appreciated having your viewpoint as a reasonable counter-balance. I hope to see you back here again.

And I wasn't mean to him or nothing. :)

I've removed some posts from this topic. They were going wildly off-topic. Please, stop picking on users on the Turbine forums.

I've removed some posts from this topic. They were going wildly off-topic. Please, stop picking on users on the Turbine forums.

MueR,

Do you know Freundlich (sp)? well enough to get him to post definitively what he had access to and what he *could* have done with it had he chosen to?

nvm...slept on it & decided I didn't need to post all of that & it came off as trollish! Self-editing. Good luck all! :)

It was, but to everyone's credit here, I don't think anyone bit. Unless it was deleted.

Good luck to you too.

One or two fanboys are trying to initiate the closing of the "official" topic about the whole mess, by starting "breathmint-candymint" arguments with posters trying to get more questions answered. How petty.

Tried to get it back onto the topic but who knows how long that'll last lol!

Edit: do wish they'd get the posts in teh wrong order thing sorted out, it really does make my head hurt...

Edit: do wish they'd get the posts in teh wrong order thing sorted out, it really does make my head hurt...

Using client generated time stamps is really stupid. How much overhead do they save by not using the server time?

I have no idea, but it really makes threads disjointed while you try to figure out who posted where and which post answers what :S

I'd be suprised if that thread stays open for much longer to be honest. I'm sure they'll look for any excuse to close it at the moment.

Someone needs to get through to Turbine and let them know that ...

20110831_morto_morbographic-thanks-to-dover19-at-deviantart.png?w=300&h=240

Heh, heh. It wouldn't hurt for a few others in that thread to wise up themselves.

Yeah, I have a feeling that thread isn't long for this world now (I've been trying to sprinkle a little common sense through it myself -- I even quoted the Sap -- Hee, Hee). But, I don't think just closing it without further comment is going to ease their pain.

Yep, there are some that are trying their level best to get it inflamed enough for Sapience to be able to close it.

I notice there are a lot of posters on the side that wants more answers that are exercising restraint very admirably.

I just hope that it stays away from a flame war for long enough to get us all the answers we feel it's our right to demand.

Yep, there are some that are trying their level best to get it inflamed enough for Sapience to be able to close it.

I notice there are a lot of posters on the side that wants more answers that are exercising restraint very admirably.

I just hope that it stays away from a flame war for long enough to get us all the answers we feel it's our right to demand.

Yes, it certainly is our right to demand it. There is money involved, if nothing else, and banks need to be notified as soon as possible. There are also laws that must be complied with. If they are holding back information, it is going to go badly for them.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes when posting in that thread I feel like I'm trying to put a square peg in a round hole. It's just pointless trying to explain repeatedly that saying A is not the same as saying Z, so I'm not going to bother. If people want to assume that turbine's vague (imho) comments mean everything is fine and dandy and nothing was leaked, more power to them. Fortunately I was taught to not be afraid to question things that are told to me, especially when those things leave so many questions unanswered.

How about a virtual toast to being the independent and free thinkers that we are?

Yes, it certainly is our right to demand it. There is money involved, if nothing else, and banks need to be notified as soon as possible. There are also laws that must be complied with. If they are holding back information, it is going to go badly for them.

At this point the best course of action is to send an actual letter to Turbine asking for answers. You may or may not get a response, but if the Attorney General does investigate they apparently start with the complaints sent to the company.

I am unsure of the legalities surrounding the security breach, as far as I can tell the notification laws vary by state and those outside the US are unenforceable unless Turbine has offices in the relevant country.

That said, my report to the AG is based on the Consumer Protection Act which protects against unfair and deceptive acts and practices. Since the FAQ has been released worded the way it has been and there are clearly posters to that thread who believe the question has been answered, then it would seem Turbine is either;

1) trying to deceive players into thinking no information was compromised OR

2) No information was compromised and they are just handling the situation really badly

I am guessing #1 but the answer will be unknown unless the AG does investigate. The more players put complaints in writing the better the chance the AG will investigate and ensure everything is 'above board'.

At this point the best course of action is to send an actual letter to Turbine asking for answers. You may or may not get a response, but if the Attorney General does investigate they apparently start with the complaints sent to the company.

Thanks for this idea. I know what I'll be doing tonight. :)

I am guessing #1 but the answer will be unknown unless the AG does investigate. The more players put complaints in writing the better the chance the AG will investigate and ensure everything is 'above board'.

Next week, I'm having a totally unrelated office call with our AG and I fully intend to mention this incident and that I filed an official complaint with his office. On-line Identity Theft is one of his campaign themes, so I know it will pique his interest. Whether or not he thinks it rises to a level that he should do anything, is another question altogether.

I'll see...

Next week, I'm having a totally unrelated office call with our AG and I fully intend to mention this incident and that I filed an official complaint with his office. On-line Identity Theft is one of his campaign themes, so I know it will pique his interest. Whether or not he thinks it rises to a level that he should do anything, is another question altogether.

I'll see...

You say *his* so not sure which AG you are referring to. The AG in Massachusetts is a *she* and is the one I am sending my report to as Turbine are in Massachusetts which I think is the relevant part.

Not trying to nitpick, just wanted to be clear so we aren't getting our wires crossed :)

You say *his* so not sure which AG you are referring to. The AG in Massachusetts is a *she* and is the one I am sending my report to as Turbine are in Massachusetts which I think is the relevant part.

Not trying to nitpick, just wanted to be clear so we aren't getting our wires crossed :)

I don't know the Massachusetts AG. :) No, I filed my complaint with my local AG. Legally, since Turbine's "product" is sold where I live, our AG has jurisdiction to investigate should he decide to do so.

WB is a worldwide company. They own 100% of Turbine. You can sue them all you want in the UK, or try to get local prosecutors to go after them.

Of course the Massachusetts AG is a much better first target. If nothing else than because we want all our complaints to arrive in the same office.

Imagine 50 states' Attorneys General looking intently at Turbine (or 58, if you hold with the current administration ;) ). Add several governmental agencies in Europe, and it becomes a rather intense glare.

I still think concentrating on just one AG is more effective.