LOTROCommunity

Official forums down

Rosiebelle

Well I remembered yesterday that I had put a debit card on my account during the migration process, so I could buy some points if I wanted, and decided to get it removed. I fill in the request form and got the auto response. I replied straight away and I got a reply this afternoon saying my card had been removed from my account. So credit to the customer support team for their quick response

The Lord of the Rings Online

Recently, we were made aware of an issue with the security of our LOTRO community web applications. We take all potential issues seriously and we took the forums offline while we investigated and resolved the issue. The forums are now open for normal use.

Please note that we will continue to perform maintenance on our community websites over the coming days and some features may be unavailable from time to time. Game services are not impacted and will continue to operate on a normal schedule.

Even though this issue appears to be limited in scope, if we believe that your account has been impacted we will contact you directly. As an additional precaution we recommend that all players change their passwords by visiting the https://myaccount.turbine.com/ page. Please remember to use unique, hard-to guess passwords that are not associated with other online services or sites, and always look for and report unusual activity in your account to Turbine customer support.

Thank you for your patience.

Share · about a minute ago ·

Be interesting to watch all the threads referring to the issue being locked/deleted.

Actually, they probably need to just go ahead and get an independent investigation started anyway. I'm sure they already have an outside auditing firm.

Are you serious?

I tell you what, if they do that I will be properly surprised and admit you were right for once. Not gonna happen, though.

By the way, Sapience does NOT give infractions just to people who criticize Turbine. He also gives infractions to people who don't like the insults used by people who rant on the LOTRO forums and tell them so. In other words, Sapience gives infractions to your so-called "fanbois". So yeah, if you got an infraction over there, it's because of HOW you said it, not just WHAT you said.

Simply untrue. We just posted a couple of infractions we got, including the original post, and many of them were clearly invalid. Just a week ago or so, look it up.

Then there is the issue of starting a new thread that has a similar topic as a closed thread when the original thread was closed for random misconduct and not because of the topic. (of course what Turbine actually wants is kill the topic but they lie about how they get rid of the topic)

But you don't need the latter which is way more advanced than the simple "we don't like what you say" infractions.

Sapience has made it clear serveral times over the last year that our accounts are safe. That there was no risk having our forum accounts linked to game accounts. He should be fired for blantantly lying to the community.

Thinking and saying that your internet infrastructure is 100% safe isn't lying, it is simply being a lunatic in public.

Did anybody pay attention to how many actual security companies got hacked lately? And it make it really funny, RSA has hacked using the same hole in a piece of junk Adobe product (acrobat reader) that Google got hacked with in -what- December 2009? RSA. They should be the center of secure computing, no?

Isolating game and forum logins was a plain smart move.

Rumors: turbine used payed fans.

This is sometimes used as marketing-tool, remember some selected posts/announcments in the past.

Rumor what? It's not a rumor. They openly say that "positive contributions" get payed in TPs and forum rep.

Wow, now to watch the spin and see how dizzy they can make the public.

I will be a bit surprised if they even address it more than they have. I think they will just stonewall it and hope to let it die. The only way that might change is if someone that had their account hacked recently and lost characters, gold, etc (especially if they lost something they "bought" with purchased TP), decide to sue them over this breach. Otherwise, I won't be holding my breath.

Interesting. Apparently I can have a link to these forums in my signature but I cannot add a link to this specific thread.

Also fyi, http://tweakers.net/nieuws/77371/databaseserver-lotro-was-toegankelijk-voor-anonieme-gebruikers.html that link is a violation of TOS.

Interesting. Apparently I can have a link to these forums in my signature but I cannot add a link to this specific thread.

Also fyi, http://tweakers.net/nieuws/77371/databaseserver-lotro-was-toegankelijk-voor-anonieme-gebruikers.html that link is a violation of TOS.

I saw you post there. I was wondering how long it would last.

Not long. :)

Turbine are calling it a "forum issue" instead of a "security breach".

They even named the thread

"Official Thread: Community Site Issues Discussion"

They also finally posted a message in the game launcher.

Forum Status Update

Oct 17, 2011 22:36 EST Please take a moment to review the latest forum status update.

Something as important as all your personal information being stolen and they give it one line in the launcher. They coulden't have made the message shorter if they tried. Most players won't even look at the link as it doesen't tell anyone anything.

Turbine and their Community staff should be disgusted with themselves.

So Turbine said they wouldn't contact anyone directly unless there was evidence that person's data had been compromised. Now a bunch of people are getting emails saying they weren't compromised, but change your password.......Sounds like an attempt to meet legal requirements without admitting anything

Edit-Just got an email from Turbine. Interestingly, it says if I changed my password after October 11, I don't need to change it again. But my data wasn't compromised, no, of course not.

Turbine are calling it a "forum issue" instead of a "security breach".

They even named the thread

They also finally posted a message in the game launcher.

Something as important as all your personal information being stolen and they give it one line in the launcher. They coulden't have made the message shorter if they tried. Most players won't even look at the link as it doesen't tell anyone anything.

Turbine and their Community staff should be disgusted with themselves.

Just looked at it.

I see all the Turbine lovers and protectors out on force protecting Turbine and telling us it is our responsibily to maintain security. That is what I read into it.

But that is where we are going to see more "Good work Turbine" Posts anyway. It is only expected. After all they control the posts.

One post tries to imply that we didn't change our passwords enough. IMAO. I am sorry but Turbine is responsible for the breach not us.

And while changing passwords is something we should all do I doubt the breach was caused because of that.

Just looked at it.

I see all the Turbine lovers and protectors out on force protecting Turbine and telling us it is our responsibily to maintain security. That is what I read into it.

But that is where we are going to see more "Good work Turbine" Posts anyway. It is only expected. After all they control the posts.

One post tries to imply that we didn't change our passwords enough. IMAO. I am sorry but Turbine is responsible for the breach not us.

And while changing passwords is something we should all do I doubt the breach was caused because of that.

Of course not. The whole same username/password for forums and game being safe thing is now a bad joke.