LOTROCommunity
Rosiebelle

Official forums down

Ah I see. Just another one of the tools then. They came right out and claimed the issue huh? Making a statement a full 5 days after the fact, and making emails 3 days later, is coming right out? At least he used /fanboi so it's obvious what he's about.d;)b

Just more brown-nosing for TP. It's just a coincidence people get hacked right after a hack of a server.....Where is Captain Obvious when you need him?

One interesting thing about the Turbine forum, well one of many actually, is that pro-Turbine folks can post positive comments about the "incident" in any thread they wish but if you post something not positive, you get a warning and told to make your comments in the official thread.

Oh boy! I really picked the perfect time to be without internet. One goes offline for a meagre three months and You ...err.. Codemasters Turbine Evildoers break into Middle-earth? :?

I just hope I find the time and line soon to check my accounts. }:|

One interesting thing about the Turbine forum, well one of many actually, is that pro-Turbine folks can post positive comments about the "incident" in any thread they wish but if you post something not positive, you get a warning and told to make your comments in the official thread.

And if you point that out in the official thread, you will get warned for that too. Talking about moderation is as bad as talking about what ISN'T being moderated....catch-22. That makes me suspect a few of them are getting paid, whether in dollars or shiny TP.

And if you point that out in the official thread, you will get warned for that too. Talking about moderation is as bad as talking about what ISN'T being moderated....catch-22. That makes me suspect a few of them are getting paid, whether in dollars or shiny TP.

So don't talk about the lack of moderation on the pro-Turbine posts about the "Incident"... Report them, as they are clearly breaking forum rules on Trolling. But take a screenshot of every single post you report for this activity, and save them away. Eventually, Turbine will get sick of this, and probably drop infractions on people reporting those pro-Turbine troll-posts outside of the official thread, as one might expect.

... and I would be happy to do another show about it, should someone be willing to provide screenshots of the posts they reported, as well as a screenshot of their suspension/ban message for making those reports. I rather enjoy tilting at this particular windmill.

Is it worth the ban.....decisions decisions.

I would never want someone to get a ban. But if someone gets to the point that they no longer care about such things, I'll tell their story.

Oh boy! I really picked the perfect time to be without internet. One goes offline for a meagre three months and You ...err.. Codemasters Turbine Evildoers break into Middle-earth? :?

Welcome back!

Please, check your account, make sure you change your password if you get in.

Welcome back, have some cake

normal_HPIM0184.JPG

Seems like Turbine have found a way to monetize their lax security.

Players are now being charged money to have characters deleted by the account thieves reinstated, just happened to a kinnie apparently.

Well done Turbine, a new low in your corporate greed policy.

Reposting before it gets deleted on turbones forums. http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?427456-So-Turbine-leak-our-login-details-people-get-their-accounts-stolen-and-have-to-PAY&p=5775050#post5775050

No reason to be suspect. It is confirmed information by Turbine that "positive contributions on the forum" can earn you TPs.

No reason to be suspect. It is confirmed information by Turbine that "positive contributions on the forum" can earn you TPs.

_O- lol, thanks for that supportive post.

Reposting before it gets deleted on turbones forums. http://forums.lotro....050#post5775050

And that person should have tried customer service to at least attempt it. I don't know the whole story on that, it's third party, and the actual person it happened to posting here or on that site would be a lot more trustworthy, though I am well aware that Turbine policy is normally blame first, ignore later.

On a positive note, good to see you back. :)

Hah, good point! Cheers for the welcomes. :)

Still reading up on what's been happening.

Hah, good point! Cheers for the welcomes. :)

Still reading up on what's been happening.

Welcome back. And if you still haven't heard someone post: change your password. Like yesterday! bonk.gif

Is it just me or has the official thread about the security breach disappered?

And welcome back Undo

Edit: No it appears its just been unstickied. keep bumping it people

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?425727-Official-Thread-Community-Site-Issues-Discussion/page43

Really? I'd like to see your evidence of this.

Me too. However, that is unlikely to be possible even if it's true. Even if someone who was actually receiving TP for positive posting decided to spill the beans, how would they be able to prove it?

What we do know is true is that Fernando Paiz stated that it is a perfectly appropriate activity for an MMO business to engage in. Chances are that since they believe it is a good idea, that they are probably engaging in it. But, that is all the evidence that I have seen, and it isn't enough to state conclusively that this type of activity is indeed occurring. It is highly suggestive, but not absolute proof. Perhaps others have more definitive proof, but if so, I am not aware of it.

http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/2011/03/episode-78a/

I have, however, seen a few players state that they were rewarded TP for pointing out exploits to the development team. That's not exactly the same thing. But, it does suggest they are willing to use TP as a reward to the community.

This was discussed a couple times on this very forum. I didn't keep the links. Unfortunately searching for anything related to it gives a hopeless mass of posts that don't have the info I want.

When it comes to the breach, it seems clear that Turbine thinks it has satisfied everything they have to do. They have notified those people who didn't change their passwords yet to do so. I didn't get this notification but of course I did change my password right away. They have had notice on the forums and in the launcher, as low key and as invisible as possible. They seem to think that is sufficient from a legal standpoint.

They have admitted only to things that the white hat hacker has posted in undeniable form. And people thought the white hat hacker shouldn't have done that. Sure, Turbine would have reacted to polite inquiry very well, would they?

They also seem to have gotten personal information from the white hat hacker (see earlier mod thread) and presumably made sure he will not post proof of more things that were open than Turbine admits (and Turbine does not deny there were more things open).

Question is: do something about it?

Me too. However, that is unlikely to be possible even if it's true. Even if someone who was actually receiving TP for positive posting decided to spill the beans, how would they be able to prove it?

What we do know is true is that Fernando Paiz stated that it is a perfectly appropriate activity for an MMO business to engage in. Chances are that since they believe it is a good idea, that they are probably engaging in it. But, that is all the evidence that I have seen, and it isn't enough to state conclusively that this type of activity is indeed occurring. It is highly suggestive, but not absolute proof. Perhaps others have more definitive proof, but if so, I am not aware of it.

http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/2011/03/episode-78a/

I have, however, seen a few players state that they were rewarded TP for pointing out exploits to the development team. That's not exactly the same thing. But, it does suggest they are willing to use TP as a reward to the community.

Yeah, knew about the Paiz thing, but that is definitely not evidence it IS done. And giving TP for bug/exploit reports seems a different thing. I might even be able to see it for positive community contributions such as Lorebook articles or exceptionally informative forum posts. But for "Turbine iz gratez!" posts? Nah, doubt it very much. Also can't see it for any posts slamming haters. Matter of fact, I have it on very good authority that telling Turbine to send the Euro servers back to Codemasters will earn you an infraction. >:)

Great post on the official thread:

No offense to anyone who is trying to speak for Turbine, but it seems people who still have questions (I've given up on getting answers) are looking for answers from Turbine employees, not other players.

Now if you're offering "answers" and you are an employee, please make your posts using your blue-name forum account. Thanks.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?425727-Official-Thread-Community-Site-Issues-Discussion&p=5777527#post5777527

Nice "dig."

*O*

Great post on the official thread:

http://forums.lotro....527#post5777527

Nice "dig."

*O*

Yea, +1 material that post. _O_

Edit: Also, very surprised that the thread is alive. Guess they ARE afraid of the bovine dung storm it would start if they closed or deleted (hide) the thread..?