LOTROCommunity
MueR

Apologies

As some of you have no doubt read, there were some allegations made by freundlich in his thread describing the discovery of the massive security issue with Turbine's system. He claimed that Valandir, one of my moderating staff, provided his IP address and other private information to a user. I have investigated this claim and found them to be true.

Valandir has apologized for what he called "a stupid mistake". I've asked him to give up his administrator position, which he accepted. Hopefully, no one will hold grudges against him, as he has been a great help in establishing this community and in archiving the Codemasters forums.

I would like to apologize for this incident. Moderator conduct and instructing moderators how to handle private information is my responsibility. I failed to provide accurate instructions on that part. I can only hope that incidents like this will never happen again, I will try to provide a more accurate set of instructions towards everyone on the moderating team. I consider this matter closed now, I hope you can do too.

• Upvote 2

Thank you for letting us know, MueR. I know you take user data seriously on this site, and I appreciate your candor and swift resolution.

Thanks for dealing with this situation in such a professional and responsible manner. It looks like a mistake was made, and you did what needed to be done to fix it as best you could.

This, along with the good company here, is why I like this community. Great moderation.

This incident is sweetly ironic, considering the circumstances under which it arose.

I trust your response to these actions to be both honest and fair. It could serve as an example to others who find themselves in a similar situation. It is much easier to forgive and move forward when facts are presented clearly and are accompanied by a sincere apology like this.

Ack. That's too bad. I'm sorry to hear it.

Thank you for your candor about this incident. It's only one of the things that make this board such a wonderful place to hang out.

MueR could teach Turbine a lot of things (and, according to his own admission, he already has on at least one occasion).

Was that third party making legal threats or was that more of a gossip thing?

Was that third party making legal threats or was that more of a gossip thing?

I think the matter is closed. Know what I mean? :*)

No :)

Of course it's fine if the choice is not to disclose this information.

But I am sitting here right next to Turbine HQ and I'll probably be the one who will go to the small claims court or be a witness in person to the attorney general if it ever comes to this.

It would be valuable information to know whether Turbine has acquired the real identify here with a legal threat or not.

No :)

Of course it's fine if the choice is not to disclose this information.

But I am sitting here right next to Turbine HQ and I'll probably be the one who will go to the small claims court or be a witness in person to the attorney general if it ever comes to this.

It would be valuable information to know whether Turbine has acquired the real identify here with a legal threat or not.

I would suggest a PM to MueR if that's the case then. I don't believe he wishes to discuss it anymore publicly. The way I read it, he's stated as much.

You confuse me.

How would you be a witness if you have to ask for the information which would make you a witness?

I'm not talking about this case. I'm talking about being generally well-informed about what Turbine is doing to outsiders (or is not doing).

Bullshit, Darmokk. You've either got specific information or you haven't. If you haven't, you're not going to be called as a witness. Unless your American courts are very strange indeed, gossip is not admissable evidence. By your own admission, that's about all you've got. Please don't stir in public. Oh, and Rhy, whilst your being very moral, you still owe me an explanation...

Bullshit, Darmokk. You've either got specific information or you haven't. If you haven't, you're not going to be called as a witness. Unless your American courts are very strange indeed, gossip is not admissable evidence. By your own admission, that's about all you've got. Please don't stir in public. Oh, and Rhy, whilst your being very moral, you still owe me an explanation...

The way this is going somebody (probably from this forum) will take them to small claims court or talk to the AG, over one of many issues raised so far or a future one. Whoever does that shouldn't be left without vital information.

Because you can be sure that the opponent side will not do what you suggest, simply waive some research because it looks "unrelated". I think you have no idea what is going on in a court when one side did their research and the other did not. Your credibility goes out the window faster than people can snarf passwords from the Turbine forums.

Gossip is third party information. What he experiences himself is not, and is quite admissible. And furthermore, if he can get others to sign affidavits confirming their 'gossip', that too is admissible.

I've got the feeling that this board is about to be trolled by the very people who ban and infract over 'there', or yell rah rah when the fit hits the shan.

Gossip is third party information.

Whether this IP address went to a Turbine lawyer under legal threat or not seems hard enough information to me.

Again, prematurely deciding not to collect information before going into a legal fight is not a winning strategy.

This board is already trolled by Lil Ricky, I believe, Jacka. And the point still remains, Dar, please don't stir in public. As Spheric said, if you really want to know, PM MueR, don't ask here. I don't believe he'll answer here, and asking here is not the best way of doing things for a number of reasons I'm sure you can work out for yourself. ;)

Hi MueR

Honesty is a rare and endangered trait in today's lawyer ridden corporate world!

Add to that the promptness of it after the problems arose and were investigated!

Now if only newspapers, politicians and corporations acted like this the world would be a far better place