LOTROCommunity

LOTROCommunity will be travelling to the West

MueR

Dear all,

It's been over 10 years since Codemasters had to give up the hosting privileges to Turbine, which started this forum. At the start, it was a bustling community, with many seeking to avoid the censor of the official forums. We've even seen Turbine and CM officials join to respond to matters being discussed here.

However, the last few years have seen a steep decline in activity. This, combined with the hosting and license costs of running this community, has led me to this decision. The hosting costs are negligible, since the site runs on a server I operate anyway, and the license costs of about 25 euros per 6 months aren't a big expense either. Yet, over the past three years, I've been feeling more and more like calling quits, since activity is down.

I'll be honest, during the early years, I would get a payout from Google Ads every couple of months, which covered the costs and allowed me to buy a case of beer or two. Those days are gone, years gone. This site was never about money for me, but with the current activity and a monthly "reimbursement" from advertising at 22 cents... yeah, I just really can't be bothered anymore.

So, LOTROCommunity is heading west. I'm shutting down the site on October 1st of this year. That happens to coincide with my birthday, so I'll have a drink to all the good times we had here, all the wonderful people who made this forum possible. I want to thank all of you for making this site happen and be a success for so long. If someone wishes to take over and preserve the site, feel free to contact me. If someone wants to preserve the site, who am I to stop them?

I hope you will understand. Again, thank you for being part of this experience with me.

Kind regards,

MueR

I was surprised by the news, I assumed that the new LOTR IPS being made the forum would fill with new appreciators. Moving from being a lotr community to being an About Tolkien and LOTR community. I really think it's a big loss. It was a haven for me. Read lots of stories and experiences of old players. Devs histories helped me see the wasted potency that of lottery. Thanks for the Forum, even though I didn't enjoy it much.

Oh shit. I had thought this forum would outlive LotRO. No tech-savvy competence on my part whatsoever, alas, else I would have volunteered to keep it going. Very much hoping someone will step forward. There is an absolute wealth of gaming history and "meta-LotRO" lore on those pages of threads from years past.

Above all else: Someone please find a way to archive and preserve the entire exchange with Aylwen from this thread

And please make it publicly available online in archived form, before this forum goes down. That open conversation has brought so much closure and peace of mind as to why the game has turned into what it did -- not only for myself but for all of us who were still bitter and still cared enough back then. A noble act of public service, and immortal. Rest in power, Aylwenn.

As for myself, I still remember that drama-overwrought November 2013 when I made an account here as soon as Helms Derp went live. I was one of the closed beta testers, and watching the still-beloved LotRO get violently assraped behind the curtain of NDA -- all while being utterly powerless to save it -- was as traumatic as it was infuriating. Yes, hence the username. I came here to vent and was overwhelmed by the welcome I received. Raising a toast to my fellow closed beta refugees.

Damn, now I'm on a nostalgia kick. 

Remember when? . . . 

• Shills from the O-Forums making accounts here to have 'dialogue' only to end up tarred and feathered and run away screeching.
  • That overgrown Bango kid who loudly rage-quit this forum and who felt that incessantly referencing his white-collar job makes him appear a mature adult.
  • Spidey, RIP. He was getting salty in his posts and replies, but only later did the real-life context behind his situation emerged. A humbling reminder how human we all are.
  • Every time an Epic Battle (tm) played out on the O-Forums resulting in locked threads, was a sure-fire bet to see the heroes of those battles posting here after receiving their bans.
  • Silence between dev cycles and no drama on the O-Forums meant that someone starts picking drama here instead. Nobody will remember the mindless moment when Trilwych accused me of being an anti-feminist because I wasn't offended at being called a cunt, but I still think that was hilarious.
  • Angra's impeccably fastidious Server Population posts, served at regular intervals with German precision over the span of years.
  • Gourmet popcorn-quality play-by-play summaries of the shitstorms and fecal flinging fests going on the O-Forums, sparing the rest of us the effort to keep track (thank you, kind steel-balled posters who could stomach writing them out. Shoutout to Macdui for keeping it up)
  • Ballie. A fucking hero. Enough said. /swordsalute.
  • A mention of honor to bobbylobs from Helms Deep beta for serving Sapience an assload of hard sass for all of us, he posted here for a bit after getting the ban.
  • I am not mentioning Aylwen because I already did. Though not veteran enough to be with LotRO from SoA days, I lived vicariously through his memories and these will I always treasure.

Surely omitting some gems, if you can think of any keep the list going!

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2021 at 9:32 PM, Wrath of Winter said:

Oh shit. I had thought this forum would outlive LotRO. No tech-savvy competence on my part whatsoever, alas, else I would have volunteered to keep it going. Very much hoping someone will step forward. There is an absolute wealth of gaming history and "meta-LotRO" lore on those pages of threads from years past.

Above all else: Someone please find a way to archive and preserve the entire exchange with Aylwen from this thread

And please make it publicly available online in archived form, before this forum goes down. That open conversation has brought so much closure and peace of mind as to why the game has turned into what it did -- not only for myself but for all of us who were still bitter and still cared enough back then. A noble act of public service, and immortal. Rest in power, Aylwenn.

If no one volunteers to take over, I'm more than happy to leave it online, though registrations will be disabled. If I stop funding the license, the spam filters will cease working.

On 8/16/2021 at 9:32 PM, Wrath of Winter said:

As for myself, I still remember that drama-overwrought November 2013 when I made an account here as soon as Helms Derp went live. I was one of the closed beta testers, and watching the still-beloved LotRO get violently assraped behind the curtain of NDA -- all while being utterly powerless to save it -- was as traumatic as it was infuriating. Yes, hence the username. I came here to vent and was overwhelmed by the welcome I received. Raising a toast to my fellow closed beta refugees.

The same happened when Mirkwood was released. I was an alpha tester at that time. We tested and tweaked that area, the raid, the instances, the skirmish features.. Then, they shut down the alpha programme to go to the beta. And everything we did was undone at the request of the bigger raiding guilds. They were the reason for closing the alpha programme in the first place, because too many of them had managed a spot in the programme and only appeared to figure out tactics for a new raid. Never did they do anything useful.

I've stopped playing the game seriously a long time ago but came back from time to time to see if there was any new activity in my favorite thread, the Exploring 56k thread:

https://lotrocommunity.com/forum/topic/2080-explore-middle-earth-56k-warning/?tab=comments#comment-47748

R.I.P. my favorite thread, how often did i log in just to see the new awesome screeenshots others had postet here from hard / impossible to reach places and how jealous i was when i didn't know how to make it there.

Yeah, jumping on rocks for hours to get up on that sterile green plateau that led out of the game world somewhere into the nothingness was way more appealing to me than killing another 300 wargs for another trait point during my last years in the game...

It's been a long time coming, and admirable that you were willing to keep it going this long, MueR. You put the effort in when no one else did, and while I can't afford anything right now, your paypal is in mind for if/when I can as a thank you. Also, thanks to those who signed up, those who shared stuff, those who we've lost and those who have lost. Fucking troopers, the lot of ya.

I recently got back into "playing" LotRO as a distraction from real-life circumstances, but there isn't really anything in-game that's worth discussing. Things are bugged as always, there's massive delays between finishing an instance and being able to hand in the quest, content is a repetitive grind, there's a massive gulf between the content kins can do (T3+ raids/instances) and what pugs can viably do, PvP is so out of date that there's old loot from L100 content dropping and freeps can't even use Audacity, lazy placeholder art that hasn't been updated in years, gold spammers avoiding ignore functions, etc. It's tiresome and infinitely trodden ground.

And if we want to talk about something other than the game, the available topics are more often than not depressing and inherently divisive that just cause more unnecessary bickering. There was a time where I would've enjoyed it, but when it's against a backdrop of nothing else and the clown world as it is, it just feels like exacerbating things. Even I'm getting brought down by it all if I spend too long online. So it makes complete sense to end things while they're already quiet.

It's been emotional, cunts.

Thanks for everything. This site has been an invaluable sources of information and honest discourse over the years. But I suspect that now the EG7 project has taken a turn for the worse and ex Daybreak CEO Ji Ham is back in the big chair now that Robin Flodin has been ousted, I wouldn't be surprised if LOTRO runs into problems. Share value has dropped and they may start culling those games not making sufficient money to balance the books.

Really sad to see it go. I came here only a few years ago, and I've never really posted but I've enjoyed the forum a lot.  Is it possible to archive it for offline use?

Does this community have a Discord that people use to connect to?

Especially valuable is the posts left behind by the ex-Turbine QA tester that passed away not too long ago.  So much other good stuff on here, too.

Thanks for hosting, thanks for the nod to passed shit storms.  I have seen the drop and followed suit mostly. :(

There might be a new shitstorm in the offing if any one is interested.

An O-forum post message sent to Cordovan and Raninia the new Producer earlier to day

"Cord

Ah sorry I don't have popup enabled for messages else I might have taken a different line subsequently. First time I am reading this.

Ah yes Jean Prior - what webs we weave when we practice to deceive? I don't suppose Raninia has had the Jean Prior conversation.

I had hoped your distancing from from Druidsfire as co-host (her title?) was as a result of some realisation of what you were dealing with. The standard for dealing with a narcissist is to not provoke and distance yourself. You had invited her to your home so I could understand. I figured you were too scarred to remove her official stream and moderator privileges, she was in some fury at the time. Leaving her to prey on players was unforgivable though so it would seems that was too much to hope for and your remain under her influence.

Please do some research and find what traits indicate borderline personality disorder. People go to extraordinary lengths to hide being the target of a confidence trick from others and themselves. The internet gives these sociopaths more chances to prey on others and a whole bunch of people ill-equipped to deal with them.

I've put in the hours of research watching the lesser seen Druidsfire "content" and it's a sorry sight. Only a fraction of her whole output but with many gems to confirm my assertion. She does let her guard down and the mask drops but who's ever going to watch a video of her coloring in or her mulling over the debacle over her wonderful BlizzConn "personal friends" falling to sexual misconduct where she admits the friendships are made up, doesn't have a peer group so just pretends. Just as she pretended to be part of the WOW Classic streamer peer group and it was her choice not to be on the same early server invite for content providers. But she also has the classic traits for reckless behaviour that her followers are their to help with. From the made up progress bar for her BlizzConn trip to pressuring others to setup the furnace donations and latterly the full gofundme that sucked in a number of lotro players. That a school teacher with a number of children under her care playing lotro being duped could have cost her job, one real lowlight. The reckless playing of Lotro on company time, the whole day sorting out finances on company time and streaming it for any to see. Even ignoring job leads for months because of her elevated slot as the co-host, the desperation in her voice because SSG were giving her a platform no other would. You add in the constant disparagement of you and the professor on her own stream channel and suggesting neither of you could function in game without her, another common trait, shows how little you have done to police your streamers. I was astounded when you made that sexual predator an official streamer for a week, maybe you were out of that loop at the time, can't imagine what that staff member thought of that.

My problem has always been that you've been duped as a company, using her flattering, sycophantic "journalism" for years (though it has tailed off) so have no idea if any of you have the sense or gumption to actually investigate. Your company default to deny suggests you will rather put off the consequences until they are far beyond addressing.

As I can only think prior replies to admonishment have been deleted unread or read and dismissed I felt I should copy in the boss who would be certainly unsullied by Ms Prior. But she purports a peerage with so many, could it be actually true of SSG?

If anyone is interested I'd need some lead time as my upload is dire. I still have some recordings from before she did a sweep of more damaging output.

Just wish you'd do something to protect your players if you can't help Jean with her problems. I had thought Jean's sister could be a point of contact but it seems that the Community manager role she has and her streaming might be part of Jean's issues given her ambition to be Lotro's CM.

Good Luck"

please move to the old thread if you don't want me hijacking this thread though.

I've been trying to poke her into working on LI main stat for the sake of her viewers because she's recently started this woeful "Completionist" deeding series because she got the wrong end of the stick about how useful virtues were and instead of using the valar 120s to harvest virtues for her main like everyone else does she took off on this deeding tangent. Used the valars to actually level more toons into her standard oblivion of ILIs with zero resources to make them work.

Anyway I was a little too eager and didn't realise that the new Items of Legend in beta are to have the DPS stat, Tactic damage/healing advanced just by re-forging and all her struggles should go away. My problem has been she will never listen to any advice except that which produces an immediate effect so it's only via oblique messaging that kind of works but it's not fool proof, hence the current tangent. Needed a big poke and Cord caught it /slap.

I would help if the old thread survived a few more weeks...

Mac

MueR, thanks for having a place where Turbine/WB/SSG/Daybreak/EG7 shenanigans could be faithfully reported to other players, long before the companies themselves would ever own up to them (e.g. the massive forum user/password hack - Yes, this was the first place to put out the warning to everyone).  Hopefully, some other medium will arise to keep the owners of LOTRO in check.

To Doro, thanks for the fun.  You made this place so un-boring.

To Fundin and Vorontur, sod off.